RIOT! Smackdown Review: 19th August 2011

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Welcome to another edition of RIOT! Smackdown Review.

riotsd.png

Sorry I've been busy over the last few weeks.

Send me PM's if you have any questions that you'd like me to answer for next week.

- We see a recap of Orton winning the title again at Summerslam.

RIOT! POV: This was useless, Orton didn't need this win at all. Made Christian look absolutely weak and looks like Christian isn't going to do anything at NOC if he doesn't get his rematch.

- Teddy Long is in the ring as he announces Randy Orton as the new champion as he comes out and poses. What I hate is how Teddy Long celebrates, gives him a handshake like he's Long's bitch or something. Orton speaks about how Christian is expected to come out and complain and whine. Orton does 'My Name is Randy Orton' catchphrase… Sounds a bit like Ziggler back in the days. He says he beat Christian and now it's all over and Randy is ready to start anew. Teddy Long says the main event is an over the top battle royal. The crowd stupidly pops heavily for this crap.

RIOT! POV: So we have a battle royal to find the winner. Ugh… Come on, this happens like all the time!

- Cody Rhodes with Ted DiBiase Jr. comes out to interrupt the party. Rhodes speaks about Legacy and says how times have changed because Rhodes is now a champion too. Rhodes is becoming really good on the mic, his robotic voice does it well even though it's a little annoying. Rhodes says Orton owes him and says he will win the Battle Royal and he says sooner than later he will beat Orton for the title. Rhodes gives Ted the microphone… Ted speaks for a while saying Randy used them and Randy delivers an RKO on Ted DiBiase as Rhodes is trapped by the corner. Randy stares at him as the music plays as Rhodes leaves the ring.

RIOT! POV: Great opening segment, really love Cody on the microphone here. Sucks DiBiase is reverted to absolutely nothing, is there a possible face turn for DiBiase soon? I see it happening.

- Rhodes gets on the microphone and speaks normal. WHY?! Tells Teddy Long to do something about what just happened. Teddy Long mocks Rhodes and says he has to defend his Intercontinental against Ezekiel Jackson… Right now. Booker T with his annoying OHHHHHHHHH…

RIOT! POV: Well, we get a rematch happening. Rhodes should go clean here and then face someone like Sin Cara or someone… Not many faces in the mid-card unless you turn DiBiase Jr.

MATCH ONE: Ezekiel Jackson vs. Cody Rhodes - Intercontinental Match

- Ezekiel starts off with a few punches and a sidewalk slam. Rhodes looks for an enzuirigi but misses as Ezekiel elbows Rhodes in the back. Rhodes with an uppercut only to be given a snapmare by Ezekiel shortly after. Rhodes steps to the apron where he delivers a Hot-Shot followed by a bulldog. Rhodes begins working on Ezekiel stomping away by the corner turnbuckle. Ezekiel begins fighting back but Rhodes hits what looks to be a botched neckbreaker. Ezekiel manages to fight away as he looks for a bodyslam but Rhodes slides out of the ring as Zeke slides out before throwing Rhodes to the steel steps. Ezekiel goes to attack but Rhodes with a quick kick to the steel steps which hits Ezekiel. Once back in the ring, Rhodes hits the Beautiful Disaster before a CrossRhodes for the victory.

RIOT! POV: Short match but both put on a quite a match here. Rhodes retaining was done nicely, both had their offence in. I wonder who will face Rhode at NOC now.

- Backstage we see Zack Ryder speaking to Teddy Long. Ryder isn't impressed that Del Rio got invited to ZACKDOWN! Aksana interrupts and she flirts with Teddy Long…. Where have we seen this before? Oh wait, every diva flirts with Teddy… It comes to my senses that Aksana could have played Princess Leia in TLIS!

- Another recap of Gabriel's video. They're really pushing him, could he be next to face Rhodes? That'd be a sweet match if it was.

- Gabriel comes out in what looks to be new music, either that or I've never heard it before. I quite like it. He's facing Tyson Kidd.

MATCH TWO: Justin Gabriel vs. Tyson Kidd

- Kidd with a quick takedown before some chain sequences happen. Gabriel with a legsweep, Kidd with a hurricana to the corner turnbuckle before a dropkick onto Gabriel's neck. Kidd with a quick Irish-Whip and a shoulder-block for a two count. Kidd begins putting pressure on Gabriel, placing his knee on his neck whilst holding his arm back. Gabriel works his way up to his feet as Gabriel looks for a roundhouse kick but misses before a backheel kick sends Kidd to the mat. Gabriel works up a kick-combo before an Irish-Whip and a roundhouse kick before a roaring elbow for two. Gabriel with a springboard cross-body which is reversed into a sharpshooter which Gabriel reverses into an STO. Gabriel goes up onto the top rope as Kidd rushes looking for a Superplex which fails. Gabriel then hits the 450 Splash for the victory.

RIOT! POV: What a match, Kidd is so damn under-rated and talented. Nice to see Gabriel get the victory. To be honest, I would not mind a Fatal Four Way for the IC happening. But Gabriel is on the top of the list at the moment for me to have facing Rhodes. Just need to hear him cut a face promo.

- Backstage Jinder Mahal is with Khali. Khali rants in Punjab. Mahal says Khali will win the Battle Royal. Mahal argues, Khali says he agrees with Mahal being the #1 Contender.

- In the ring is Ricardo Rodriguez as Alberto Del Rio makes his way out. Del Rio says his name is Alberto Del Rio but in a quiet voice… Del Rio talks about Money In The Bank and how he cashed it in to become Champion. Del Rio says he debuted in this very town where he defeated Rey Mysterio. Del Rio speaks on how things can change quickly, just one year and he's became champion. The Smackdown crowd must like Del Rio because there are hardly any boo's heard. Once Del Rio speaks how he beat Rey again in his first title defence the boo's can be heard, but not as much as you'd want it to.

RIOT! POV: Doesn't Smackdown edit anything anymore? They could have made the boo's sound more louder… Either way it has been a good promo.

- Recap of Del Rio beating Rey Mysterio on RAW.

- Del Rio says he is a real champion and he is here because he wants a challenge. Bryan interrupts with new music (AGAIN?!). Del Rio says are you kidding me? Bryan says Alberto, you think you're so special. Let me ask you a question, if you think you are champion why did you cash it in like everybody else? It is not special, it is predictable and it is pathetic! Bryan makes his way to the ring.

MATCH THREE: Bryan vs. Del Rio

- They try to headlock each other to start with, Del Rio misses a punch as Bryan grabs the offence with a few kicks. Bryan goes for an Irish-Whip but Del Rio slides out of the ring as Bryan chases. Del Rio gets back in the ring as Bryan does too but Del Rio begins stomping down Bryan before tossing him to the corner. Del Rio applies an arm hold to slow things down. Bryan fights his way up before a knee to Del Rio's rib and a few kicks for a two count. Bryan hits an European Uppercut as Del Rio fights back before a second rope Arm-breaker for a two count.

- Del Rio begins punching Bryan before a stomp and once again applying pressure on Bryan's arm. Bryan tries to fight it but Del Rio delivers an elbow drop on his arm. Del Rio continues to work on Bryan's left arm. Del Rio locks in the Anaconda Vise (WTF?!) but quickly changes it to an arm hold. Bryan punches Del Rio before a couple of uppercuts before a reversed Irish-Whip sends Bryan back down to the mat for a two count. Del Rio once again working on Bryan's left arm. Bryan gets up and fights back but Del Rio proving strong beats down Bryan back to the mat.

- Bryan gets to his feet and tries to fight it once more as Bryan hits a kick before rapidly kicking six times to Del Rio's torso. Bryan gains momentum as he hits a clothesline on Del Rio. Bryan then sends Del Rio over the top rope, Bryan gets onto the apron as he charges with a running knee strike which connects. Bryan rolls Del Rio back into the ring as Bryan goes on the top rope as Del Rio charges. Bryan jumps over Del Rio but Del Rio hits a suplex before placing Bryan up on the top rope. Del Rio looks for a suplex but Bryan hits a reversed crossbody.

- Ad break.

- We're back as both men punch back and forth. Bryan gets the one up before a huge running kick to the corner turnbuckle before getting on the top rope.. Bryan hits what looks a bit like 'The Ghetto Stomp' for a two count. Bryan with a kick to Del Rio's chest several times before Del Rio looks for a suplex but Bryan reverses with a hurricane Guillitone choke hold as Del Rio charges to the corner turnbuckle followed by a quick suplex and the armbar submission as Bryan taps out.

RIOT! POV: What a finish that was! That was freaking sweet. Long match which had Del Rio in control for most of the match, got more interesting once Bryan fought back making the match a lot better.

- After the match Del Rio hits a new armbreaker move before locking the armbar submission hold as Sin Cara makes the save with a hurricana and a cross body from the top rope. Sin Cara goes to check on Bryan as replay shows highlights of the match.

- Mark Henry is backstage with Josh Mathews. We see a recap of Henry's match against Sheamus at Summerslam. Henry says he has beaten everyone and put Sheamus through a wall and I'm in the same boat as everybody else. This Battle Royal is like a boat, the seas are gonna get rocky. The tides are going to turn and everybody else is going overboard and they're all gonna sink.

RIOT! POV: I like the reference about the seas, a bit different but it worked for Henry.

MATCH FOUR: Kelly Kelly & AJ vs. Natalya & Alicia Fox

- Kelly Kelly and AJ make their way to the ring as Natalya & Alicia Fox make their way out.

- Natalya starts in the ring as does AJ. Natalya with a headlock as AJ tries to reverse but fails to do so. Natalya continues to dominate as AJ finally manages a kick but looks for a crossbody as Natalya catches her. AJ with a weird crucifix failed pin that managed to end up looking like a Koji Clutch. Natalya gets out of it quickly as she tags in Alicia Fox. Fox stomps on AJ a few times before a headlock as AJ makes her way to her feet. Fox with a reverse STO manoeuvre before tagging Natalya as Fox and Nattie hit a double suplex on AJ. Natalya goes for the pin, two count only. Fox is tagged back in as she applies a choke but AJ escapes before tagging Kelly Kelly to begins all the momentum as she does a stinkface. A nice hurricana pinfall sees Nattie interrupt as Fox misses the Ax Kick as Kelly Kelly hits her finisher for the victory.

RIOT! POV: Wow, this match actually went for some time. Not a bad match, nothing new however… The faces get over.

- Natalya argues with Fox after the match as Fox goes to leave but Natalya takes her out before locking in the sharpshooter because she can.

RIOT! POV: Fox to turn face again? I'd like to see that, have the Divas of Doom look extremely dominating.

- Recap of Summerslam Axcess

MATCH FIVE: The Battle Royal for the #1 Contender.

- Half the people are in the ring, Sin Cara gets his entrance allowed. DID I JUST SEE WILLIAM REGAL?! Barrett makes his way to the ring as well followed by Mark Henry. Sheamus follows after quickly.

- Everyone goes to attack Mark Henry not Khali because Henry is more of a threat. Henry pushes everyone off as Barretta is eliminated. Henry eliminates Tatsu. Another is eliminated, couldn't see who it was. Everyone is literally punching each other. Ryder tries to take Sin Cara out but Sin Cara throws Ryder over the top rope. Ezekiel eliminates Rhodes. Zeke works on Khali before a clothesline on him and Mahal. Khali with a chop as Khali grabs Ezekiel and eliminates him. Henry looks at Khali as Khali hits a chop which sends Henry down. Khali looks for a double chokebomb, but Henry breaks it before eliminating him!

RIOT! POV: Henry actually lifted Khali. Nice!

- Sheamus begins beating Henry down. Henry slides out of the ring. Sheamus eliminates Slater. Henry on the outside slams Slater onto the steel steps.

- Ad break.

- We return as we see Kidd working on Barrett's leg. Sheamus ties Kidd around the ring before some punches to Kidd's chest. Barrett slams Sin Cara to the corner turnbuckle. Kidd tries to eliminate Sheamus but Gabriel kicks Kidd. Gabriel hits a chop on Mahal. Sheamus punches Sin Cara as Sheamus goes to Mahal and begins beating him down. Sin Cara hits a crossbody which eliminates Gabriel. Henry grabs Gabriel before throwing him over the barricade. Sheamus eliminates the Uso's at the same time. Henry grabs Jimmy Uso and throws him to the barricade. Henry goes and grabs Jey before throwing him to the announce table which breaks. Orton stays put in his chair. Henry gets back into the ring as Mahal punches from behind. Henry eliminates Mahal and DiBiase Jr. Sin Cara works on Kidd but Sin Cara eliminates Kidd.

- Sin Cara, Barrett, Sheamus and Henry are the last four in the ring. Sin Cara is on the apron as he gets onto the top rope. They all go to attack Henry. Sheamus and Barrett work together in beating Henry down. Barrett sneak attack from behind with a clothesline before lifting Sheamus back to his feet. Barrett tries to eliminate Sheamus but he holds onto the rope. Sheamus grabs Barrett not the apron as Barrett punches Sheamus, Sheamus punches back. A kick from Barrett isn't enough. Sheamus kicks Barrett as Barrett is eliminated. Sin Cara hits an enzurigi on Sheamus before charging at him but Sin Cara looks like he cannot be eliminated. Sin Cara begins working on Sheamus as Sheamus tries to eliminate him, once again he can't. Henry from behind lifts Sheamus and eliminates him.

- Sin Cara on the top rope with a crossbody that somewhat connects. Sin Cara with a few kicks before looking for a hurricana that doesn't work. Sin Cara escapes as he looks for a second rope crossbody but Henry with the World's Strongest Slam. Henry lifts Sin Cara before eliminating him. Henry is your winner!

RIOT! POV: Great battle royal, actually enjoyable for once. Nice to see Sin Cara and Barrett being in the last four.

- Henry and Orton stare off as the camera goes to fade.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I thought that this week they had a lot of good wrestling on Smackdown which is always good to see.

I think that DiBiase will eventually turn face on Rhodes. Smackdown needs more faces and DiBiase is going nowhere as a heel.

I really like the idea of a fatal fourway for the IC title. Gabriel and Kidd had another great match and both guys should be further up the card. I wouldn't mind seeing Gabriel getting a big face push on Smackdown and challenging for the IC title.

Very impressed with Del Rio vs. Bryan and the mainevent battle royal.

Reactions: 1 person