Ring of Honor sold to broadcasting group

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lucky

Reaction score
ROH sent out the following today…
RING OF HONOR ANNOUNCES SALE TO SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP

BRISTOL, PA. (MAY 21, 2011)--Ring of Honor Wrestling owner, Cary Silkin, announced today the sale of the promotion to Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., one of the largest television broadcasters in the country and which owns and operates, programs, or provides sales services to 58 television stations in 35 markets across the United States.

ROH, currently the third largest wrestling promotion in the country, just celebrated its ninth anniversary, and Mr. Silkin is excited about taking the next step towards increasing the company's visibility and expanding its operations.

"We have been waiting for and working for this opportunity for quite some time", he said, "and of our 9 years in business, there has been no better roster of wrestlers than this one to expose the ROH product to the masses. With Sinclair's resources and many avenues of distribution, we believe many new fans around the world will be as captivated as those who have followed Ring of Honor over the years."

The month of September will see the debut of the new Ring of Honor television program which will be syndicated across the Sinclair network of stations, and with it, ROH will become the only wrestling promotion in the United States with a major, multi-market presence on broadcast TV. But if you don't live in a market with a Sinclair station, fear not, says Mr. Silkin. "Through our revamped website we will be able to make the TV show available to anyone in the world with internet access."

Sinclair officials are enthused about the project as well.

"We are very excited about this acquisition," commented Steve Marks, COO of Sinclair's Television Group. "Television and professional wrestling have a long history of successful partnerships and driving viewership. Unfortunately, the broadcast networks have not protected that relationship, allowing professional wrestling to migrate to cable network distribution. We believe that the powerful promotional platform that our TV stations provide, coupled with our 22% share of the U.S. TV households, will allow ROH to achieve name brand recognition and grow its share of the wrestling market. When you consider the makeup of our station mix and the number of CW, MYTV and FOX affiliates we operate, this is a perfect fit for our viewer demographics." Mr. Marks also noted, "Longer-term, we can envision syndicating ROH wrestling to broadcasters in markets where Sinclair does not have a presence, and even internationally."

Mr. Silkin assures the ROH fans worldwide that they will be seeing the same exciting, hard-hitting style of pro wrestling that they have become accustomed to. "We have established the name Ring of Honor as synonymous with the best in-ring action in the sport. The only thing that will change is that it will now be easier for fans around the world to follow. Our visibility will increase greatly--our production will be upgraded--but the work ethic of our incredible talent roster and our athletic style of wrestling will remain the same. This is what our fans have told us they want, and we will continue to give it to them."

The current front office staff, including Cary Silkin, Syd Eick, and Ross Abrams, will remain with ROH going forward. Hunter Johnston, a favorite of ROH fans for years as the masked grappler Delirious, will still handle matchmaking, Jim Cornette will remain as executive producer, and other familiar faces like ring announcer Bobby Cruise and senior referee Todd Sinclair will be in place."

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
This is what ROH needed to take that next step. Cary Silkin took the company as far as he could without more money coming in from an outside source. ROH is profitable in its current format but they need more investment to go to the next level. The deal with HDnet wasn't making them any money so I am glad that ROH stopped that deal. With this deal it allows them to have better production values since SBC obviously has everything required to create a good looking show. SBC will also be able to give ROH a lot more advertising since they will obviously push this company since they now own it. Be interesting to see what talents are cut and what ones are signed to new deals. They won't be featuring non-contracted wrestlers on their show so we will see who they sign to long term contracts.

It has been confirmed that ROH will air on Saturday nights with the first taping to be held on August 13th in Chicago Ridge, Illinois at the Fieldhouse. I like the idea of airing the show on the net as well so that everyone can view it.

I have heard that Jim Cornette was key behind this deal and that ever since TNA let him go he has been working of building ROH into a bigger company. Looking forward to where this can go.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Have no clue as to what stations Sinclair media broadcast, hopefully its a channel I get.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Here is a list of the stations SBC owns (Note it is a long list);

pwinsider said:
The following is a list of stations in the United States owned by the new owners of Ring of Honor, Sinclair Broadcasting. There is no confirmation regarding which stations will be carrying the new ROH syndicated series as of yet but this gives everyone an idea of the markets they will conceivably cover:

Asheville, NC
WLOS (13) - ABC
WMYA (40) - MyNetworkTV

Baltimore, MD
WNUV (40) - CW
WBFF (45) - Fox

Birmingham, AL
WTTO (21) - CW
WABM (68) - MyNetworkTV

Bloomington, IL
WYZZ (43) - Fox

Buffalo, NY
WUTV (29) - Fox
WNYO (49) - MyNetworkTV

Cedar Rapids, IA
KGAN (2) - CBS
KFXA (28) - Fox

Charleston, SC
WTAT (24) - Fox
WMMP (36) - MyNetworkTV

Charleston, WV
WCHS (8) - ABC
WVAH (11) - Fox

Cincinnati, OH
WSTR (64) - MyNetworkTV

Columbus, OH
WSYX (6) - ABC
WTTE (28) - Fox

Dayton, OH
WKEF (22) - ABC
WRGT (45) - Fox

Des Moines, IA
KDSM (17) - Fox

Flint, MI
WSMH (66) - Fox

Las Vegas, NV
KVMY (21) - MyNetworkTV
KVCW (33) - CW

Lexington, KY
WDKY (56) - Fox

Madison, WI
WMSN (47) - Fox

Milwaukee, WI
WVTV (18) - CW
WCGV (24) - MyNetworkTV

Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN
WUCW (23) - CW

Nashville, TN
WZTV (17) - Fox
WUXP (30) - MyNetworkTV
WNAB (58) - CW

Norfolk, VA
WTVZ (33) - MyNetworkTV

Oklahoma City, OK
KOKH (25) - Fox
KOCB (34) - CW

Paducah, KY (Tri-state area)
KBSI (23) - Fox
WDKA (49) - MyNetworkTV

Pensacola, FL
WEAR (3) - ABC
WFGX (35) - MyNetworkTV

Pittsburgh, PA
WPMY (22) - MyNetworkTV
WPGH (53) - Fox

Portland, ME
WGME (13) - CBS

Raleigh - Durham, NC
WLFL (22) - CW
WRDC (28) - MyNetworkTV

Richmond, VA
WRLH (35) - Fox

Rochester, NY
WUHF (31) - Fox

St. Louis, MO
KDNS (30) - ABC

St. Petersburg / Tampa, FL
WTTA (38) - MyNetworkTV

San Antonio, TX
KABB (29) - Fox
KMYS (35) - CW

Springfield, IL
WICS (20) - ABC

Syracuse, NY
WNYS (43) - MyNetworkTV
WSYT (68) - Fox

Tallahassee, FL
WTWC (40) - NBC

Winston-Salem, NC
WXLV (45) - ABC
WMYV (48) - MyNetworkTV

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
:rant:

Crap I don't get any of those channels, once again my ROH fix is relegated to the internet because of CRTC shenanigans baring me from enjoying American channels.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
So this means ROH will be back on Internet streaming?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
ROH said:
But if you don't live in a market with a Sinclair station, fear not, says Mr. Silkin. "Through our revamped website we will be able to make the TV show available to anyone in the world with internet access."

So everyone will be able to have access to the television show once it airs.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
Dan Bynum, who worked for WCW from 1989 to 1995 as a director and prior to that, worked for World Class Championship Wrestling, has been hired by Sinclair Broadcasting to helm the Ring of Honor TV series when it debuts this September.

The first TV Taping will be 8/13 in Chicago, IL.

Very good to see that they are getting someone with previous wrestling experience to direct the show. Looks like this group is very serious about making this a quality television show.

Lucky

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for the list of who gets it and who doesn't. I'm happy to say that I do, and that's great because I'd much rather watch that than watch something online.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
This is big news, and hopefully will be a big step in ROH taking over as the second company which it appears TNA doesn't want to be. It is good that they seem to have people with experience working with them also.

I hope that this extra backing, and maybe greater exposuire will in the long term get them a TV deal in the UK, as apart from Internet PPV's and DVD, the last time I saw regular ROH here was on the wrestling Channel, which went bust about three years ago now.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It would be good if they could package and sell the show to some international markets. UK, Canada and Australia will hopefully be up there on their list of markets to expand into. Let's first see if they are included on all twenty networks under their management and lets see what ratings they can get.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
No California love, well at least I can still watch it via stream.

Reaction score
Amazing they own all of the those stations yet none in New York City lmao. Closest city to me is Rochestor.