WWE Rey Mysterio possibly leaving

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kahuna

Reaction score
There has been lots of talk within WWE about Rey Mysterio's future with the company over the last 48 hours. Rey's deal expires in 3 months and with there no longer being a top spot for him, the belief among some is that he is preparing to finish up his last run and be finished.

Those same people that speculate he's leaving soon believe that he could end up on the new AAA TV show that debuts on the El Rey Network this fall.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1974208-update-on-rey-mysterios-future-with-the-wwe

Read this on a few sites such as bleacherreport and pwmania.

Honestly, I say its time he goes. I lost all respect for Rey in May/June 2010 when he whined and complained for time off and incentive to stay. They gave him the title off Jack Swagger, who admittedly wasn't going anywhere, and then he took a week off after winning it. You piss and moan about wanting time off and you want more incentive to stay, then you get it and still go home anyway?

Rey hasn't done anything for the better part of four years. I wont deny his merch sales and popularity with the younger fans, but in all seriousness if he left I don't think WWE would be hurt. It would simply open a spot up for someone else to get injured 3 times a year and still be a complete diva about it. Would even benefit him some anyway, save him from any more injuries.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
He offers something. As Cody said, if you went down to Florida the 15 months he was out, Rey was always training and always helping the next generation in everyone's ear. He obviously cares about wwe and vice versa, and his loss is a bigger one than that of Rio or Christian since Rey is over, makes money, and can go. I would not be mad at him for leaving at all but he has truly had a great wwe run and became a guy defined by wwe, not WCW or ecw

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
My reaction is similar to the Christian news, though I'm surprised this one didn't happen sooner. Totally disposable these days in terms of TV presence, but again this guy is a long-time veteran on the roster and a certain HOF'er one day so that's something. I'd believe he's even still bankable with merch at least. Unlike Christian though, I fully expect Rey gets a proper send-off. One last round of applause for possibly the greatest underdog ever in wrestling would be nice.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
WWE should've put Rey in the "attraction" department where he works seriously limited dates while he lives of royalties the rest of the year. He still moves alot of merch and is huge in latin markets, losing him to AAAwould be a terible move seeing as he would have a huuuge impact for that company. The trouble with Mysterio is his body failing on him, his knees were shot before he even signed with WWE. The fact that he's been going 10 years strong is Terry Funk level of amazing, he is an innovator and should still be remembered as such. Not like he is some luke warm vet like Christian or some overpushed guy who never got over like Del Rio, Rey is a first ballot HOFer in every pro-wrestling context.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Agree that the timing is about right, but think the company should still keep him around for other non-wrestling purposes.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Yeah I would probably agree that it's time for him to move on from in-ring competition with the WWE. Sure he can still go and could probably have some sweet matches with a bunch of guys still, but I just don't know where he fits anymore really not to mention that I don't think a win over him means anything anymore really.

Business wise though obviously it makes sense to keep him around for that merchandise.

Wonder if he would be interested in a trainers role or commentary.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Didn't they try Rey on commentary a few PPVs back?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
They certainly did, can't remember which though. TLC i'd guess.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Rey just did it at the chamber on the preshow. I never get why they have Rey work a full schedule. Even now, he works all the live events and has ever since he returned. They need to give him the michaels schedule,work TV once a week (mostly sd), work every ppv, and move his merch.

Rey is without a doubt the greatest lucha to ever cross over, the greatest Mexican talent ever (sorry Eddie), and probably the greatest WCW guy turned wwe main event act. I mean he really climbed the ranks, made money, headlined shows, and built up a rep where he could beat anyone on any night.

His full time days are gone, but unlike Punk/Christian/ADR going to Jarrett, losing Rey hurts them if he goes to aaa. I hope he stays a wwe for life guy and doesn't make a dum run somewhere else ala Foley, hulk, and Ric going to TNA

Kahuna

Reaction score
My thoughts on Rey, all person disgust aside, that he needs to stay as far away from a mic as possible. All things considered, he is not known for his speaking abilities. Spanish announce team sure, but anything else, its just cringe-worthy to me when he talks. His promos, as seldom as they are, were always eh to me, and I couldn't imagine him trying to cover a match or tell a story... not like anyone really tells a story on commentary these days, but I digress. Let him retire from in ring competition and I won't be upset. He has had his memorable matches and runs, but overall when its time to go, its time to go.

BB

Reaction score
Aside from the children, does anyone really care about Rey Mysterio anymore? His best days are well and truly behind him. He gets injured regularly and every time he returns he only wrestles for short periods of time. WWE would be mad to let him go though because he sells tonnes of merchandise for them and sadly that's what the industry has come to nowadays...How much merchandise can you sell?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
W
Aside from the children, does anyone really care about Rey Mysterio anymore? His best days are well and truly behind him. He gets injured regularly and every time he returns he only wrestles for short periods of time. WWE would be mad to let him go though because he sells tonnes of merchandise for them and sadly that's what the industry has come to nowadays...How much merchandise can you sell?
Enough to be 3 with a big gap of when sitting out and off tv for 15 months.

Rey can push merch out the ass, they just need to reduce his schedule. Hell he's 2 by default now

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Not sure if keeping him around on a part-time schedule would be that beneficial from a merchandise standpoint. He no doubt sells a lot, but I'm sure it's much less than to what he was earning a few years ago. Sooner or later his sales would go down to a mid card kind of level - not sure if it's worth its considering he'd be looking for a big enough salary.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I hope you realize that's what pro wrestling has been about since it's inception, how much money can a guy make. That's what all professional sports is about.

That's why guys at indy shows are still hocking merch, that's what guys were doing since the beginning of territory days, it's a carny business, it's all about what you can sell to the marks. They don't give a fuck about titles, or their legacy, it's about how much they can make.

How much merch can you sell? Hopefully a shitload.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Yeah well merchandise sales are certainly not what ALL professional sports are about. Outside of wrestling, most franchise owners actually give a crap about who wins. Particularly because they don't sell any merchandise if they don't.

As for this article... I'm not even kidding... I read it twice every year. I believe the last time it came up, there was some issue about Rey not being able to use his mask design outside of WWE, something about WWE having it copyrighted or something along those lines.

There was a point where Rey was one of the most important wrestlers on the roster, but those times are long gone. The guy isn't selling anything when he's hardly ever there. Fans will enjoy watching his highlight reels until the end of time, but he'll never draw the money he used to, especially if he kills himself getting hurt every year.