Revisionist History surrounding Chris Kreski

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Chris Kreski was the 2nd most successful writer in wrestling history following Vince Russo, as he continued Russo’s character and storyline universe while expanding it and continuing to use Russo’s formula of short matches and focus on storyline & skits.

There is some revisionist history surrounding him, let’s get to it.

#1: The revisionist idea of WWF starting to focus more on workrate in 2000

The idea is that the WWF started to focus on in ring and “balance” story and ring work under Kreski after Russo.

This is a completely false narrative perpetuated by niche workrate fanatics who attempt to justify a show focusing on in ring as if it drew a dime and exposes whoever makes this argument of never watching Chris Kreski era of the WWF.

The WWF did not in anyway start focusing on workrate/in ring following Russo under Kreski, and in fact under Chris Kreski they moved even further from in ring workrate and introduced more skits.

Kreski retained the same exact Russo formula of 5-8 minute max matches on TV with no matches going into commercial(something Russo invented) with mostly no clean winners.

Kreski added more skits than Russo and far more focus away from the ring than Russo ever did. Kreski went even more of the direction of pop culture at the time, made the WWF more like Jerry Springer, more like MTV TRL with hints of Austin Powers style tongue in cheek comedy.

How this myth perpetuated is because under Kreski the WWF roster gained more workrate guys like the Radicalz and the in ring product improved. Not because Kreski wrote it to or focused on it but because the roster had better in ring workers. Kreski was a storyline writer, not ring agent.

The focus moved further away from workrate under Kreski, despite the in ring improvement,

#2 Brian Gewirtz was head writer and not Chris Kreski

Bruce Pritchard has attempted to revise history and paint Brian Gewirtz who was in charge of writing Rock promos(even when Russo was there) as head writer of the WWF because according to him Chris Kreski was quiet during creative meetings and Brian pitched the completed script.

This is completely false and easily refuted by a couple of facts.

A.The WWF product in 2000 is radically different than when Brian Gewritz was head writer from June 2002-2012

You could tell Brian was head writer from 2002-2012 because despite a change in rating, the show had the exact same pace and formula during the entirety of Brian’s run from 2002-2012 and changed immediately upon Gewritz departure(WWE becomes more serious, Formula changes Shield debut, etc)

The WWF from 2000-early 2002 prior to Brian Gewirtz becoming head writer was radically different than when Brian was head writer from mid 2002-2012.

B. The Blatant use of storyboards on WWF TV.

Chris Kreski, even admitted by Bruce Pritchard used storyboards for the entire roster for his scripts, this was heavily mocked by those out of touch in the wrestling bubble who never drew a dime writing, while respected and applauded by Kreski’s successful contemporaries(Russo, Ferrara, Blancha)

In December 1999 Kurt Angle started flirting with Stephanie McMahon, with her telling Triple H she thought he was cute.

While Kurt Angle never feuded until more than half a year later in the summer of 2000, during the entire period in the background a relationship is brewing between Kurt and Stephanie.

This could only be done via storyboards to keep track of it, hence why it started in December 1999 and then came to fruition 9 entire months later in August of 2000 for the Summerslam build. And again with having the person who ran over Austin use The Rock’s rental car in November of 1999, then bringing it up and entire 10 months later in September of 2000.

The show was completely storyboarded until the brand split of April 2002.

Chris Kreski was clearly irrefutably the head writer of the WWF during that time.

This was never ever done again after March 2002/Brand Split, it was never ever done when Brian Gewirtz was the head writer, so that immediately refuted Bruce Pritchard’s lies that Brian wrote the show and Kreski didn’t.

Not only was the show radically different when Kreski was head writer to when Gewritz was, but the use of storyboards used when Kreski was head writer and not when Gewritz was head writer proves irrefutably that Kreski was head writer of WWF 2000.

C. Russo formula used under Kreski, Russo formula discontinued under Gewritz

Chris Kreski as head writer kept Vince Russo’s exact formula of short matches that never go into commercial, 8 mins max, fast pace crash TV style focus on storyline and character. Kreski further expanded and added to Vince Russo’s storyline and character universe while heading more the direction that Russo was going even further focusing less on in ring and more on skits, keeping Russo’s sense of urgency and copying pop culture(TRL/MTV, Crash TV, Springer)

Brian Gewirtz as head writer completely discontinued Vince Russo’s formula. matches started becoming the focus and matches started being longer going into commercials. Less to zero backstage segments, less to zero storyline and characters that made zero sense, out of touch, no sense of urgency, no more crash TV.

There’s no way the writer of 2000 is the same writer of mid 2002-2012, thus zero way it was Gewritz writing 2000.

Bruce Pritchard doesn’t like when those outside the wrestling bubble succeed, hence why he shits on Russo and Kreski despite their success. The only reason Bruce puts over Gewirtz so much despite Gewirtz utterly failing as head writer is because Gewritz was responsible for Bruce Pritchard returning to the creative team.

Whereas Bruce was nowhere near the creative team when Russo and Kreski were head writers, hence his dislike for him.

It’s the same reason Cornette hates Russo, because Russo took Cornette’s job twice and succeeded whereas Cornette failed every single time he’s booked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Kreski wrote 2000? Good in my book then bc that's my favorite year of WWE programming ever.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Well he was fat and now he's dead.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Kreski wrote 2000? Good in my book then bc that's my favorite year of WWE programming ever.

From everything I’ve ever read he did. He was a protégée under Russo and got the book when he left.

There is some dispute about how long he retained head writer status, though, as some say he lost some of his power in November of 2000 when Stephanie became head of creative as the formula does shift a little during 2001, but not so much I don’t think it was just Kreski having to work Stephanie until Brian took over in 2002.

Reactions: RLStern

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
From everything I’ve ever read he did. He was a protégée under Russo and got the book when he left.

There is some dispute about how long he retained head writer status, though, as some say he lost some of his power in November of 2000 when Stephanie became head of creative as the formula does shift a little during 2001, but not so much I don’t think it was just Kreski having to work Stephanie until Brian took over in 2002.

Tbh I felt like there was a change of sorts around December-ish when I last watched the era but I kinda just chalked that up to natural changes like Austin being 100% worked back into the main event scene after returning and such.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I think, personally at least, 2000 is a much better year than 1998 and 1999 overall though that might have a lot to do with the best WCW guys (Guerrero, Malenko, and Benoit) hopping over in January.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Tbh I felt like there was a change of sorts around December-ish when I last watched the era but I kinda just chalked that up to natural changes like Austin being 100% worked back into the main event scene after returning and such.

December would be when you’d feel Stephanie’s influence as November was probably mostly plotted out before he promotion to the head of creative.

I think Austin being worked in helped the transition.

I have to say Kreski and Stephanie did a hell of a job if they were the two driving forces of 2001. The Invasion wasn’t handled as well as it should have, but that’s mostly business decisions from Vince as I still thought the product was great and is a favorite year of mine.

Reactions: Chris

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think, personally at least, 2000 is a much better year than 1998 and 1999 overall though that might have a lot to do with the best WCW guys (Guerrero, Malenko, and Benoit) hopping over in January.

Kreski definitely lucked out getting them not long after he got the book. A gift horse just falls right in your lap.

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2

I point to when Kreski left, because the formula and pace of the show remained until the brand split, then when Kreski leaves in June 2002 the formula miraculously changes.

I refuse to believe that Stephanie was writing in the exact same Kreski format through WM 17 and Invasion because when she did the whole radical creative team movement in 2002 it was very different.

It can’t be a coincidence that the show changes, Austin walks out and they contact Russo right when Kreski leaves.

To add, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Kreski is demoted the SECCOND he decides to have Stephanie betray HHH and join Kurt Angle, that’s IMO the reason this happened, because Triple H & Stephanie ran its course, EVERYONE wanted Kurt and Stephanie, it drew some of the highest ratings of 2000 and the Attitude era in general.

Another thing is how as soon as Stephanie takes over, she fucks with Chyna’s career and they abruptly end the Chyna/Eddie feud and put Chyna in women’s division, despite not one of the guys having a problem putting her over.

Last edited:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I point to when Kreski left, because the formula and pace of the show remained until the brand split, then when Kreski leaves in June 2002 the formula miraculously changes.

I refuse to believe that Stephanie was writing in the exact same Kreski format through WM 17 and Invasion because when she did the whole radical creative team movement in 2002 it was very different.

It can’t be a coincidence that the show changes, Austin walks out and they contact Russo right when Kreski leaves.

I don’t think Stephanie was writing in 2000, but I think Kreski was reporting under after November. From everything that I’ve read that’s when she got her promotion and I can see a slight change from 2000 to 2001. Especially because I’m a rare gem that prefers 2001, but that’s mostly the awesome roster I suppose.

It might even possible Brian gets the bumps in 2002 because Stephanie wanted to be more hands on Kreski was stuck in his ways and wasn’t the guy for her.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Austin’s 2001 run is probably my favorite run ever.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's like Vince McMahon and Pat Patterson didn't lay out a years worth of booking when they were solely booking the territory for about 15 years before this guy.

Almost like Dick Ebersole never existed.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Russo does claim he left Kreski and co with a year’s worth of the book, but didn’t think you’d back him. :ortonout

RLStern

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Austin’s 2001 run is probably my favorite run ever.

That reinvigorated his career. The WWE revised history claiming it killed the attitude era... despite the attitude era continuing until 2002z

They claimed it hurt Austin... despite improving his merchandise sales

They claimed no one wanted to boo Austin or see Austin with McMahon... despite them booing Austin in his own home town of Texas the next night on Raw in favor of the Rock, and despite the fact that Austin/McMahon were the super friends in late 1999 with Austin helping McMahon get the belt off HHH and giving Austin 2 title matches.

They claim it hurt the rating... when in reality what hurt the ratings was the top draw The Rock leaving as reported by ever media. Austin was stale since late 99 and the heel turn was gonna be done

In fact, if it wasn’t for Austin’s heel turn the ratings would’ve been worse, that’s the only thing that retain the ratings from getting worse, and actually started to help when Kurt Angle and WCW was added in June of 2001.

Austin’s heel turn had zero affect on ratings decline and wasn’t the reason, the face of the company of the 3 prior years The Rock leaving was the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad Boyd

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
First and foremost you and I agree there. The Attitude Era merch, slogans, crew shirts for production staff, banners and etc all stayed until G the F Out started.