Review the Last Wrestling Match You Watched

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
vlcsnap2012100504h36m11.jpg

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena - Extreme Rules Match - Extreme Rules 2012
I imagine this will be one of my more controversial reviews. I'll just say this, anyone who believes this is a MOTY or a MOTYC is bloody crazy. Granted, that probably means everyone fan who saw this match minus myself. The pre-match crowd reactions was great. It felt like a huge match and more than just a B-show main event. It only takes a couple of minutes before my first issue comes up - the ref stoppage. I get it, the WWE doesn't like blood and they make some good money by not having it on their broadcast. Yet, this is a street fight and you have to stop the match, not once, but TWICE before of a cut? I'm fine with the WWE not allowing blood, but the ref stoppages need to stop. It makes the WWE wrestlers today look like total pussies that they can't even get a tiny scrape without the medical staff being there for them. It feels especially weird since Lesnar, a moderately modern guy, had several blood classics less than a decade ago. The real pity of cleaning up the blood is that a crimson face Cena would have added a lot to the story.

Moving on, there's the ref bump. Now, this is a street fight and the only way you can win is by pinfall or submission. WHY IS THERE A REF BUMP?! Hilariously, despite the medical staff already intervening twice in the match, no one even bothers to check on referee, Charles Robinson, despite Robinson being down for seven (!) minutes! Is the guy dead or something? Robinson is woken up and it's only a minute later before there's ANOTHER ref bump. Once again, WHY?! Funny enough, refs are out there immediately this time around. Less than a minute later, Lesnar kills the second referee and then the referees disappear. How is it that we had four (I believe?) refs out there at one moment and then everyone leaves after the second ref bumpage? Shouldn't a referee stick around in case, you know...a finish happens?! Instead, poor Charles Robinson has to slowly wake up and get back in there to finish the match. Of course, the last real issue I have with the match is Cena going over. I get it, you didn't want Cena to lose on back-to-back PPV's, which begs a question...WHY BOOK THE MATCH IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Just have Lesnar kill Triple H at Extreme Rules and book Cena vs Lesnar at Summerslam with Lesnar going over. They may have protected Lesnar in the loss (IF you had to have Lesnar lose, that was the way to go), but it still shouldn't have happened. There is a minor issue of the stupid chain wrapped around Cena's feet, despite it just dangling around and Cena could have easily kicked it off at any time, but there's far bigger things to bitch about.

Despite my love affair of hating on John Cena, I can't say I had any issues with him in the match. He had a simple job of getting his ass kicked, having angry faces at the end and having one last burst of energy. Lesnar was the man though. He was a believable monster who loved beating the shit out of Cena. Although he hadn't wrestled in what...six (?) years, Lesnar could still put on a hell of a show. This is an overrated match where the two wrestlers put in a ton of effort, but the booking of the match was severely flawed. I really wanted to like this, but it was just one annoying booking idea after another. 3 Stars.

Reaction score
vlcsnap2012100600h07m41.jpg

CM Punk (c) vs Chris Jericho - WWE World Title - Chicago Street Fight - Extreme Rules 2012
Chris Jericho is the man. Chicago may be Punk's city, but Jericho was the star of the match. The guy just knows how to be an amazing heel. Watching the match, one thing after another popped up that made me love Jericho in this. Hiding behind the ref in a street fight, poking Punk in the eyes while the ref was distracting Punk, going after Punk's sister, getting slapped by Punk's sister, when there was a small CM Punk chant, Jericho cupped his hand to his ear to draw an even bigger chant, raising his arm in victory to get a reaction, going for the GTS, pouring beer on Punk, picking the right moment so he spits beer when Punk hit him and pulling at the ref's shirt to clear his eyes after Punk sprayed the fire extinguisher in his face. There's times when Jericho doesn't receive the appreciation he deserves. In a PG WWE world, Punk and Jericho did a fine job at trying to have a violent brawl without any blood or many head shots. I suppose if there's a negative to the match, it's that the crowd went back and forth between caring. Part of the poor crowd made me dig Jericho even more because he kept drawing a reaction out of them. I don't know what the problem with the crowd was though. Maybe they just didn't care about the feud? While it did drag a bit, the excitement of the last few minutes greatly helped me forget about it. Superior to their Wrestlemania match and in my unpopular opinion, the MOTN. 4 1/4 Stars.

Reaction score
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Yuji Nagata - IWGP Title - NJPW's New Dimension 2011
Only Tanahashi's second title defense of his 2011-early 2012 title reign. Nagata earned this shot by winning the 2011 New Japan Cup. Tanahashi was in his part-time cocky heel mood and Nagata made him pay for it. Going into the match, it seemed as if Nagata was fine with losing, but he was going to make Tanahashi a man by beating the living hell out of Tanahashi with forearms, slaps and kicks. There was even one point where Nagata was slapping Tanahashi like a cheap hoe until a bloody mouth Tanahashi collapsed. When Tanahashi's knee work on Nagata became too much for Nagata, Nagata opted to stop acknowledging that he had a bad knee. He simply stood up, slapped his knee a few times to regain feeling and went on a brutal kicking spree on Tanahashi. I feel as if the only thing missing from Nagata was a flannel shirt and a long beard in his epic "I'm a real man!" persona. This strategy is the downfall for Nagata though. While Nagata is just concentrating on brutalizing Tanahashi, Tanahashi had a game plan. Eventually, all of the knee work finally affected Nagata and his attempts of moves. It wasn't that long afterward that Tanahashi put Nagata away following his Frog Splash. Clocking in at over 35 minutes, the match feels even longer due to Nagata sticking to strikes rather than creating a clearer story. Due to how long the match felt, I went in and out of interest. Whenever Nagata picked up the pace/brutality or Tanahashi was working over the knee, I was into it, otherwise it dragged. The end result is one of the weaker Tanahashi title matches that I've seen. Their G1 Climax match from later in the year was superior to this. 3 1/2 Stars.

Reaction score
vlcsnap2012101010h25m53.jpg

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - IWGP Title - NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling 2012
Ten months later and Suzuki gets another crack at the IWGP Title. Just like in their Wrestle Kingdom match, he's the star of the match. However, because Suzuki's so fucking awesome, it's a completely different match. Everything was completely normal and uneventful until Tanahashi got cocky while he had Suzuki in an abdominal stretch. In it, Tanahashi decided to do his stupid air guitar, using Suzuki's body as the guitar. This sets Suzuki off. If looks could kill...Suzuki immediately goes after Tanahashi's previously injured elbow. A great spot occurs when Suzuki has Tan in a kimura. With his hands busy, Suzuki uses his mouth to bite at the ace bandage around Tanahashi's elbow so he can rip it off! It's such a simple spot, but it's fucking awesome and really puts over what a great unorthodox character Suzuki is. Near the end, you have two big submission moments. Suzuki is locked in the Figure Four for a long time in the first one. Rather than just trying to get to the ropes and have it be a bit boring, Suzuki finally gets another memorable expression on his face as screaming at Tanahashi.That increases the intensity and gets a big reaction out of me. Suzuki then got to the ropes. Next was Tanahashi's chance to be locked in a sleeper. It's another long submission with Tanahashi looking like he's passed out. Once again, the idea of Suzuki winning gets a reaction out of me. Tan obviously got to the ropes. Another part of Suzuki's "Fuck you for humiliating me" mindset was the slaps. Basically, Suzuki slaps the fuck out of Tanahashi over and over. By the end, Tanahashi has a bleeding mouth. Suzuki completes his excellent storytelling with a lot of knee selling. Maybe not as good as Okada, but Suzuki is great at selling. There's one spot where he has to hobble to the ropes, but then he's all like "I'm not going to let this fucking knee hold me down!" and he flies off of the ropes to nail a drop kick. Long story short, Suzuki's the man and Tanahashi was just along for the ride. A few negatives. The beginning of the match was a little boring. The finishing stretch didn't have a lot of excitement and I was rather surprised when Tanahashi just won with the Frog Splash. It's still a really good match, but it's little issues like that that keeps it from being as good as the fucking epic match of Okada/Naito. Jim loves Suzuki. 4 1/4 Stars.

vlcsnap2012101010h16m01.jpg

The look of death~!

Reaction score
vlcsnap2012101022h10m27.jpg

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Karl Anderson - Tokyo Dome Contract - NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling 2012
Essentially, exactly as you'd expect. I don't want to say Anderson is terrible, he isn't, but he's hardly one of NJPW's best talents. If I had to rank the NJPW talent, I'd have Anderson right above the first "Poor wrestler". Now Okada, he's one of NJPW's best, but he's not going to carry Anderson to a great match not only because of Anderson's limitations, but also because this is only the third from the top. So most of the match is pretty ordinary, not bad, but not remarkable either. Like any Okada match, the final few minutes is when things really get good. They kept the finishing stretch interesting with a lot of different spots. For the first time that I can remember in an Okada match, someone actually blocked his dropkick that sends the opponent to the outside. While Okada tries for Anderson's Ace Crusher, Anderson attempted the Rainmaker. Neither guy is successful, but I got a kick out of seeing someone else attempt Okada's Rainmaker. In the end, Okada simply wins with a Tombstone followed by his Rainmaker finisher. Gotta say, I love how well protected the Rainmaker is for Okada. It may take him a half dozen times to finally connect with it, but once he does, it's over. Good match for the final few minutes, but obviously below average for an Okada 2012 PPV match. 3 Stars.

Reaction score
Yujiro Takahashi vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax Day 2 - August 3, 2012
It took me awhile, but I finally realized why Yujiro's theme sounds so familiar. It's Michael Shane's theme from TNA. Sadly, no one is doing the "Yujiro Bounce" during Yujiro's entrances. This match was mostly just Kojima kicking Yujiro's ass with Yujiro just trying to hang in there. They added a little story with Yujiro ducking a lariat on the outside so Kojima nails his arm against the ring post. While it's temporarily focused on, it's quickly forgotten and I'm left disappointed. Why bother doing the spot if you're not going to build the entire story around it? The realizations continue as I conclude Homicide got his Lariat spot from Kojima due to how similar the removal of the elbow pad is for both. Yujiro ends up picking up another upset by beating Kojima with a sit down variation of his Tokyo Pimps finisher. Good match, but more of an emphasis on the injured arm could have made this a lot better. 2 3/4 Stars.

Yujiro Takahashi vs Karl Anderson - G1 Climax Day 3 - August 4, 2012
I've found that I end up liking NJPW guys easier if they stand out more. Basically, it's going to take so much more for me to remember a guy like Hiromu Takahashi (Japanese, dark hair normal hair, black trunks, ect) than say...KUSHIDA (Or for a more extreme example, Liger). Yujiro stands out nicely though. He has the dyed blonde hair, cuts a promo before his matches, wears sunglasses to the ring and even uses the shades in the match. Much like fellow CHAOS member, Nakamura, Yujiro has a certain amount of sleaze to him. While Nak has an AIDS infected creep feel to him, Yujiro comes across as that type of guy who would bang a 16 year old and then brag about it. This was a nice and simple match with Yujiro controlling and Anderson desperately trying to put him away with several big moves. A TKO fails as does a top rope neck breaker. Anderson's big move, The Gun Stun (I've seen people claim it's not an Ace Crusher, but it basically is) is attempted several times, but Yujiro keeps avoiding it. Finally, Yujiro puts Anderson away with his Tokyo Pimps finisher (Inverted power slam). Both guy's finishers were protected, the finish was clean and Yujiro picks up the slight upset. Not a bad way to check out Yujiro for the first time. 2 3/4 Stars.

Yujiro Takahashi vs Shelton Benjamin - G1 Climax Day 5 - August 7, 2012
I just realized I've been watching Shelton for over a decade now. Wow, time really flies. I was more interested in seeing how Shelton looks in NJPW than Yujiro. For the most part, he's the same Shelton we've been watching for years. He got in all of his trademark spots (Leap to the top rope, T-Bone, Spinning kick, super kick and Pay Dirt). His charisma and personality needs some work though. He's trying to work the 80's babyface shtick of jumping up and down and yelling "Come on!" to draw in the crowd. It doesn't work for NJPW. Maybe it's just me, but I feel to show personality in Japan, it comes from your character, not dated shit you say. Yujiro's dead lift German Suplex is pretty impressive. Maybe not Akira Tozawa levels of awesomeness, but still nice. Finish came with Shelton escaping the Tokyo Pimps and nails a super kick to set-up the Pay Dirt finish. The super kick didn't even come close to connecting with Yujiro, yet there's still a nice sound to it thanks to Shelton's thigh slap. Pretty horrible. Yujiro looked good enough, but Shelton left a lot to be desired. Just a match going through the motions until the botched finish. 2 1/4 Stars.

107p3ph.gif

Yujiro Takahashi vs Toru Yano - G1 Climax Day 6 - August 8, 2012
Two CHAOS members fighting it out. I'm surprised to admit this, but I find myself really digging Yano as a singles guy. He obviously stands out due to his pudginess and pasty skin, but his hardcore and cheating style further helps him stand out from others. I don't know if I'd want several Yano's in a company, but just one is fine. The match was built all around Yano cheating. As a result Yujiro played a babyface for the night. Yano used chairs, throw Yujiro into the exposed steel, into the steel railing and attempted a couple low blows. Since Yujiro knows what a cheater Yano can be, he's expecting that first low blow (Yujiro having Yano in a waist lock and Yano grabbing the ref), so he avoids it. However, it's when Yano attempts it again while Yujiro is attempting a backslide (And thus can't see Yano grabbing the ref), Yujiro suffers the low blow. From there, it's one simple Last Ride (Or whatever he calls it) finisher and Yano picks up the win. My only real negative was that Yujiro went headfirst into the exposed steel, only to come back too many times. That's a match ending spot, not one you easily get back from. Still, fun match. 3 1/4 Stars.

Yujiro Takahashi vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Day 7 - August 10, 2012
A preview of their upcoming title match. Tanahashi's the IWGP Champion in this, but the belt isn't on the line. The biggest appeal of this match was the crowd. Tanahashi was getting some serious Cena reactions. Not only were they booing Tanahashi, but they were chanting for Yujiro. For all of you Tanahashi haters out there, Tanahashi never even worked on Yujiro's knee! The only time Tanahashi ever touched Yujiro's knee was a low dropkick, but it was never followed up on. As a result, this felt like a very different sort of Tan match. I feel as if the match was mostly geared around making Yujiro look as if he was in Tanahashi's league. This meant Yujiro was on offense for the majority of the match and he had a lot of near falls from his trademark moves. It got to the point where I was believing that we could see a huge upset. Once again, NJPW's attitude towards protecting finishers pleases me. If there was ever a guy to have kick out of Tokyo Pimps, it's Tanahashi. Yet, Yujiro never manages to hit it. As expected, Tanahashi does manages to rally back and hits a Frog Splash crossbody to set-up his High Fly Flow finisher. Tanahashi may have won, but Yujiro looked like the star due to how close he came to beating the champion and having the crowd in his back pocket. Easily the best Yujiro G1 match, but it's to be expected since it received the most time. 3 3/4 Stars.

kf5hua.gif

Yujiro Takahashi: A role model for children of all ages.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Haven't seen Punk/Jericho 2 but I can only assume it's better than their snore fest at WM.

The ref bumps helped add to the chaos and carnage Lesnar brought to the WWE and I personally felt they didn't take too much away from the contest. I after six months I still don't understand the reason for Cena going over, especially as he was going to lose to Lauriantis the next month. But I'm a fan of the match right up until the last 30 seconds.

Reaction score
The ref bumps didn't add a single thing to the story. It was pointless and only took away from the match. It was a match where Lesnar kicked the shit out of WWE's ace. That's all the chaos that was necessary.

Reaction score
Random partial reviews of shows:

Les Thornton vs Jose Luis Rivera - Boston Garden - August 3, 1986
The most interesting thing about Thornton is his reign as WWF Junior Heavyweight Champion. Technically, Hiro Saito was the Junior Heavyweight Champion at the time. Thorton had just came into the WWE, but he was still the NWA Jr. Heavyweight Champion. So the WWE chose to just refer to him as champion since Saito wasn't working in the company. The funny thing is that the NWA (I believe in Japan) was still referring The Cobra as the Jr. Heavyweight Champion. So in some strange way, Thornton was falsely claiming to be two different title holders despite both titles already being held by someone! Thornton style is greatness though. He has the very European wrestling style of working the mat. The catch is he's a heel so he's always pulling at the tights or hair to gain and keep the advantage. The problem is that this is still 1985, so the WWE fans weren't into such a bump-free match. Pity too because this was pretty nifty for it's time. Thornton wins after rolling through a middle rope cross body and holding on to the tights. 2 1/4 Stars.

The Blue Blazer vs Danny Davis - LA Sports Arena - November 17, 1988
The Blazer has been on WWE TV since September. It's always fun seeing Owen during his original Blue Blazer run. He was such a hidden gem at the time. As usual, Davis sucked in this. All of his offense and defense looked hokey as hell. Owen did his best to try and leave an impression, although it did make him a bit too spotty at times. Still, it's 1988 and Owen's hitting moves that wasn't common at the time. The match clocked in around 11 minutes, but so Davis always stalls a lot, so the actual action was around 6 minutes. Blazer ended up winning following his trademark belly-to-belly suplex and a top rope splash. Owen looked good and Davis sucked, that's all you need to know. 2 Stars.

The Rockers vs Los Conquistadors - LA Sports Arena - November 17, 1988
A rematch from the July '88 LA Sports Arena show. Ironically, that match was also the second match of the night. In some ways, it's a lot like their July match. Conquistadors controlled the majority of the match, but the Rockers eventually made the comeback and won the match. The big difference here was that Marty played the face-in-peril and Los Conquistadors did a lot more double team moves during the heat sequence. Instead of teasing tags, they had Shawn run in and attack both Conquistadors to show how frustrated he was. It's a small change, it's enough to make this match have a different feel and I found Los Conquistadors to be a lot more enjoyable this time around. The only downside of The Rockers finally outsmarting Los Conquistadors by having Marty trip one of them up and have Shawn win with a running crossbody is that the finish came too quickly. There was still a few good minutes left before the match would have began to drag. The body of the match was superior to their July match, but the weak finish makes it pretty even. Still, gotta love the Rockers. 3 Stars.

The Big Boss Man vs The Mountie - MSG - April 22, 1991
The Boss Man controlled the first few minutes with various strikes with Mountie bouncing around. This changes once Boss Man misses a knee in the corner, to which he takes a big bump to the outside. This spot injures Boss Man's knee. Mountie works over the knee for a bit before Boss Man manages to recover long enough to nail The Mountie with a Boss Slam for the victory. After the match, The Mountie gets his heat back by zapping Boss Man with the cattle prod. Honestly, I loved this. It was perfect undercard stuff. They told a story, it had storyline implications and they worked a botch free match. It wasn't "Workrate" stuff, but it's exactly what an undercard feud match needed to be. Really pleased with this. 2 1/4 Stars.

Hulk Hogan (c) vs Sgt. Slaughter w/General Adnan - WWE World Title - MSG - April 22, 1991
This was set-up after Slaughter threw a fireball at Hogan after Wrestlemania 7. Hogan's sporting a bandage on his forehead. Slaughter and Hogan work an old school street fight-type match. Hogan's using chairs to attack Slaughter, meanwhile Slaughter's using weapons himself. General Adnan attacked Hogan on the outside and busted him open. Blood in 1991~! It would be rare if Hogan wasn't bleeding so much against Slaughter. Still, it's unlike the typical WWF main event back then. The ending revolves around a ref bump, Slaughter getting extra heat by nailing the ref with a couple of chair shots, only for Hogan to steal the chair away. The referee wakes up in time to take the chair away and DQ Hogan because the ref thought Hogan was the one who hit him with a chair. It's a wacky ending, but they're in the middle of a blood feud so they had a full on street fight. Strangely, this is probably the best Slaughter match from his 1990-1992 WWE run. 3 Stars.

Mike Quackenbush vs Hallowicked - Block A - Aniversario & His Amazing Friends
While the early going mat wrestling, cutesy over choreographed spots and comedy didn't do much for me, once Quack started working over the left arm of Hallowicked, the match improved a lot. Hallowicked has to be one of the most underrated talents going today. For a guy who wears a mask and can't speak English, he sold the arm to perfection. The best part of the selling is when he'd go for some sort of headlock, but he wouldn't be able to use his left arm. So instead, he'd be forced to only use one arm. This great story gets forgotten as Quack focuses only on typical indy moves devoid of any sort of story. The end comes after a series of near falls with Hallowicked randomly getting the pin during one such pin attempt. The ending was boring, uninspiring and lacked any sort of arm influence. It's a good match to start off the tournament, but it would have been so much better had they just kept the arm story going. 3 1/4 Stars.

Brodie Lee vs Vin Gerard - Block B - Aniversario: The Legendary Super Powers Show
Brodie looks suspiciously like FCW/NXT's Luke Harper. Brodie Lee teases a finger poke of doom to start the match, but when Gerard goes to cover Lee, Brodie slaps Gerard silly. Brodie's really good in this anti-hero "Brody's going to kill you!" type role. The match was fairly short (Just over seven minutes), so it wasn't anything amazing. Brodie just impressed with his agility, overness and big time moves. Gerard kicked out of a big boot/Truck Stop (Sit down Boss Man Slam) to the surprise of everyone. Gerard surprises Brodie with a inside cradle counter to get the fluke victory. Fine for an undercard match. 2 1/4 Stars.

Sara Del Rey vs Icarus - Block A - The Case Of The Bulletproof Waldo
Del Rey murdering Icarus with a series of roundhouse kicks to the chest early on was the highlight of the actual action of the match. However, the real quality of the match was the commentating. The big story of the match was Del Rey, an evil BDK member, was cheered by the crowd. This caused fellow BDK member, Tim Donst, to take several verbal jabs at her on commentary. The longer the match went and the more the fans cheered on Del Rey, the harsher Donst got. This begins Del Rey's babyface turn and defection from the BDK. The other story was the tease of a future Del Rey vs BDK member, Claudio Castagnoli, match in the tournament. The commentating hyped the match a lot with the idea that there could be some big problems when it comes to deciding who will win that. Honestly, it's a great match from a storyline perspective. Personally, I thought the in ring action was decent at best with Del Rey hitting a lot of weak shots and the finish of Del Rey countering a Pedigree into a pin coming off looking really bad. But hey, I loved the storyline. 2 1/2 Stars.

Hallowicked vs Claudio Castagnoli - Block A - The Case Of The Bulletproof Waldo
After their amazing match at Man Makes Plans, And God Laughs (2009), it was going to be really difficult to exceed my expectation. To be honest, it doesn't even come close to it. Yet, it's a quality match that follows a simple story. Claudio controlled the majority of the match, mostly thanks to cheating. This leaves Hallowicked to fight from under. Most of Hallowicked's offense are roll-ups and other quick pin attempts. Hallowicked even surprises Claudio by dusting off some old moves. It's a hopeless battle as Claudio wins after crotching Hallowicked on the top rope after a knee in the corner attempt. It's a cheap victory that earns Claudio some heat while building Hallowicked up as someone who probably would have won had Claudio not cheated. Like I said, not nearly as good as their previous match (To be fair, that's a CHIKARA MOTYC), but certainly good. 3 1/4 Stars.

Ultramantis Black vs Fire Ant - Block B - The Case Of The Bulletproof Waldo
Just to show the importance of the match and a win, Fire Ant started off the match strong with a fury of big moves. A brainbuster in the first two minutes only results in a near fall for Fire Ant. The match shifts into another gear after UMB whips Fire Ant into a ring post (Which Fire Ant hilariously oversold the bump like crazy). UMB added his own personal touch to make the match feel important by dusting off an old submission move of his own, the Safari Stretch. It's a wacky hold, but it establishes the fact that the Spectoral Envoy have figured out a game plan together. Anyways, there's a lot of finishers and kickouts to further put over how big the match is. Finally, UMB put Fire Ant away with the Praying Mantis Bomb. Solid match, but I would have dug a little more of a story and stiffer looking strikes. Some of the hits barely looked like they connected. 3 1/4 Stars.

The Nasty Boys and The Mountie w/Jimmy Hart vs The Bushwackers and Jim Duggan - Summerslam 1992
Your first bonus match of the night. No real backstory other than The Nasty Boys and The Mountie lost against Jim Duggan in an eight man tag at Wrestlemania 8. Team Brilliance (Faces) humiliates the Hart Family (Heels) with a series of double and triple team moves. The heels take over with Luke as the face-in-peril. Random Bobby Heenan wrestling rule 49F "If you're ugly and stupid you can be worked over as much as your opponent wants." The heels heel it up behind the ref's back. Random Heenan wrestling rule 103P "If you're close enough to make a tag, you do not need to tag." Hot tag to Duggan. Duggan closelines everyone. Battering ram by the Bushwackers to every heel. The referee is distracted by Jimmy Hart. Duggan with the 3 Point Stance on The Mountie. Duggan covers. Sags goes for a top rope elbow drop, but Duggan moves out of the way causing the Mountie to be hit. Duggan throws Sags out and covers The Mountie for the victory. The early going wackiness was fun, but once Luke had to play the face-in-peril it became a bore. The babyfaces were over enough to get the crowd into the match though. For the amount of "Talent" in the match, it's pretty decent. 2 Stars.

Papa Shango vs Tito Santana - Summerslam 1992
The second bonus match. Papa Shango has received a big push (That went nowhere) after debuting in the company at the start of the year. Santana's currently working the El Matador gimmick. Shango controls the early going with a very methodical pace. Santana quickens the pace when he takes over. A lot of various closelines from Santana. Santana nails the flying forearm, but Shango kicks out. The ever terrifying shoulder breaker by Shango gets him the 3 count. Just a means to showcase Shango. The match can be broken down into two different parts. Whenever Shango was in charge, it was slow and boring. Santana's offense was fun and fast pace. Basically, the question of, "Is Santana talented enough to make Shango look good" is flipped by Santana proving he can still look good against a weak opponent without Shango looking good. 1 3/4 Stars.

2znsvsx.gif

El Matador: New gimmick, still most underrated wrestler of 1992.
Jim's mini-rant
Can we all just agree how terribly misused Tito Santana was at Summerslam? Due to Rick Martel's injury, Tito Santana was forced to miss Summerslam 1988. Yet, Ken "I swear I used to be good before I went to jail" Patera was booked? The following year, Santana was on the losing end of a quality six man tag against Rick Martel and The Rougeau Brothers. The sole purpose of this match was to further push Rick Martel. Instead of choosing to push Santana in 1989, the WWE chose to push Rick Martel. The same guy who all of that pushing never resulted in an obvious IC title reign. In 1990, Santana was forced to put over The Warlord. At the time, it seemed obvious that the Warlord was being primed to be a new opponent for Hulk Hogan and/or The Ultimate Warrior. Yet, despite Santana putting him over, Warlord's push never resulted in anything. In 1991, Santana can't even get on the PPV. How did we get IRS vs Greg Valentine, but Santana was forced to watch the show from home?! Finally, 1992 comes and Santana still isn't good enough to make the PPV. But it's okay, he'll still be used in a bonus match. Santana may have had to do the job, but at least Papa Shango was being built up to be a major heel for the company. Oh wait, just like Rick Martel and The Warlord, the push never went anywhere. Why was Santana forced to put over these lesser talents who didn't mean anything in the long run? Bullshit.

money5.jpg
The Legion of Doom w/Paul Ellering vs Money Inc w/Jimmy Hart - Summerslam 1992
LOD is finally getting their hands on Money Inc after Jimmy Hart pulled a fast one and got Money Inc to be a last minute replacement for the Natural Disasters in a title changing house show match back in February. Your basic tag match with LOD getting the best of Ted DiBiase early on. Hawk ends up playing the face-in-peril once IRS is tagged in. Money Inc heels it up by not tagging in behind the ref's back and IRS choking Hawk with a tag rope. The run the spot where Hawk tags in to Animal, but the referee didn't see it. Finally, the hot tag to Animal. LOD looks to have the match won with the Doomsday Device, but IRS breaks it up with a dropkick to Animal. Animal simply hits DiBiase with a power slam (After IRS/DiBiase ran into each other) to pick up the win. Not that it matters as Bobby Heenan makes it clear that Money Inc has a tag title shot coming up. Fundamentally, this was a textbook tag match. They used every well known tag spot and it built up to a logical conclusion despite the twists and turns. The only problem was that it was dull as can be. The whole purpose of a hot tag is to get produce that big mark out moment of the match. Instead, I was so bored by the match that it didn't mean much to me. I can't understand why they didn't end the match with a Doomsday Device. The ending lacks that impactful final move. Finally, thanks to LOD not teaming again in the WWE until 1997 and Money Inc being slated as the next #1 contenders, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to have LOD go over. 1 1/2 Stars.

[yt]4C2WDJj6Ryk[/yt]
What's worse? Not having Ric Flair wrestle or the WWE teasing us with a Flair interview to remind us?

Elsewhere in the building, Virgil is interviewed by Sean Mooney. Virgil isn't afraid of Nailz though. His motto is do onto others before they get to you. Virgil finishes off the interview by proclaiming that he's "Too legit to quit" hand motions and all. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Fucking MC Hammer. AHAHAHA. You actually get interview time on PPV and you quote a MC Hammer song?!!!1! AHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, nothing screams "Future World Champion" like quoting Mr 'Can't Touch This'. Maybe the WWE could of found Virgil a white partner who could go around saying 'Ice Ice Baby'. :lol:

nailz4.jpg
Nailz vs Virgil - Summerslam 1992
Nailz debuted a couple of months ago by attacking and injuring his former prison guard, The Big Boss Man. Virgil, being Boss Man's friend (They teamed together in an eight man tag at Wrestlemania 8) is here to avenge Boss Man's attack. Short match with Nailz dominating Virgil. Nailz's entire offense consists of mostly just chokes. Virgil tries for a comeback near the end, but is easily thwarted. Nailz locks in a side chin lock (McMahon believes Nailz is choking Virgil) and the referee stops the match due to Virgil being unconscious. After the match, Nailz attacks Virgil with Boss Man's nightstick. It's never a good thing when Virgil has to try and carry a match. Nailz was awful. His moveset was great in terms of selecting the right moves for a non-wrestler, but he couldn't even make a choke look convincing. Nailz couldn't bump, choke Virgil believably and it was his mean guy look was laughable. 3/4 Star.

martel6.jpg
Shawn Michaels vs Rick Martel - Summerslam 1992
This one grew out of both men trying to win Bret Hart's WWE IC Title. During a Martel match with Bret, Michaels came out and attacked Bret, drawing the DQ. Later, Martel came out during a Michaels match and flirted with Shawn's valet, Sherri. With Sherri having eyes for both men, she's added a special stipulation where she doesn't want either guy to be hit in the face. Michaels and Martel has a very indy-like match where both heels try out cheating each other. One man pulls at the hair of the other, the other returns the favor. Any time there's a pin attempt, the heel pulls at the tights. By the end, both guys have slapped each other in the face and they pull back for a punch. Sherri gets on the ring apron and fakes a faint. Both heels try reviving her, but they end up just fighting (Punches to the face~!) with each other. Finally, Ric Martel has enough of his crap from Sherri and pours a bucket of water on her. Both guys have been counted out. A fun Sports Entertainment match. Looking back, this was way ahead of it's time. The whole "Who can out cheat who" had been done so many times since this match. It's like watching Joey Ryan vs Austin Aries, twenty years earlier. It's light on workrate and the lack of finish hurts the match, but I'll be damned if I don't want to check out some post Summerslam Superstars to see the fall out to this. 2 3/4 Stars.

11alfuc.gif
1znu8fm.gif

Eddie Guerrero who?

[yt]eLpz6OWUAx0[/yt]
I dare you not to tap your foot to this theme.

disaster3.jpg
The Natural Disasters (c) vs The Beverly Brothers - WWE Tag Titles - Summerslam 1992
The Beverly Brothers more or less just backdoor (The Genius was their manager after all) their way into a title match. The Natural Disasters have been tag champions for about a month after beating Money Inc at a house show. Disasters use their weight to demolish The Beverlys early on. A Beverly moves out of the way of a charging Earthquake with Typhoon taking the blow instead. This opens up a chance for the Beverly Brothers to work over Typhoon for the majority of the mid-match. A scroll hit behind the ref's back almost gets a three count, but Quake breaks up the fall. Quake finally gets the hot tag and it's quickly over for the Beverly Brothers. Wayne Bloom eats a Earthquake Splash for the finish. Despite the Beverly Brothers gimmick making it impossible for Bloom and Mike Enos to get over in the WWE, they were a hell of a team. This match is a good showcase of that. Despite having to work with the weaker of the Disasters (Typhoon) for the majority of the match, they made it work. There was even a point near the end where I could have believed the Beverlys were going to win the match. Thanks to a quality, yet unover heel tag team and the always greatness of Earthquake, this was way better than you'd imagine. 2 1/4 Stars.

Brian Cage-Taylor vs Johnny Yuma - PWG's Curse of Guerrilla Island
The debut of Yuma goes off pretty well. It took some time, but eventually the crowd got really into him. He seems like the offspring of Scott Lost and Colt Cabana. Plenty of creative moves that I don't see from anyone else like Lost, but a little comedy and ton of butt moves like Cabana. A six man team with Goodtime and Cabana could be fun. PWG might as well get as much use out of Cage while they can. The guy continues to impress me and with his look, it's only a matter of time before the WWE or TNA comes calling. Solid opener that had the purpose of establishing the Fighting Taylor Boys. 2 1/2 Stars.

El Generico vs Ricochet - PWG's Curse of Guerrilla Island
This match received a lot of praise. While it's really good, I feel it gets a little too much praise. Some folks at the PWG board even calls it the PWG MOTY. Seeing Generico play more of the heel role reminds me of Colt Cabana during his feud with Homicide. Generico is good in anything he does, so he pulls off the role well. Ricochet was so over in this though. Assuming he sticks around PWG come the new year, he's going to have a huge year. Great spots and both guys looked really good out there. 3 1/2 Stars.

The Havana Pitbulls (c) vs Special K - ROH World Tag Team Titles - ROH's Midnight Express Reunion
Special K is represented by Izzy and Angel Dust. This is a rematch of sorts from Scramble Cage Melee. However, since the duo of Izzy and Dixie didn't get the job done, Lacey has replaced Dixie with Angel Dust. To explain it further, Lacey was brought into Special K as Izzy's girlfriend. It didn't take Lacey long before she started to take charge and slowly transform into her bitch role that we'd all know well. Due to a losing streak, Dixie, Angel Dust and Becky begin to become more serious. Replacing Dixie was seen as a weird move since Izzy and Dixie are former tag team champions and Lacey replaces Dixie since Izzy can do no wrong in her eyes. Anyways, this is the Pitbulls' 4th title defense. Angel Dust does well in the early going impressing the commentators. Meanwhile, Izzy is said to have blown up after just a couple of minutes. Solid enough character development. While Special K does get in some good offense, it doesn't last long as the Pitbulls continue to regain the advantage mainly due to Romero. The commentators begin the theme of the night "Let's compare every team to the Midnight Express". I will admit that Romero is slightly Stan Lane-ish due to the kicks. Pitbulls get the win after a Death Sentence Knee Drop (I assume it has some fancy name though). Post-match has Lacey and Becky having to be pulled apart. It's a decent match, but I can't help but feel as if this was a horrible choice for this show. On a night honoring one of the best tag teams of all time, your tag team title match is really just a quick match to showcase a faction having problems? Showcase your damn tag team scene. The Pitbulls did look good and there's some solid storyline advancement for the impeding Special K split. Not meaningful enough to be anything great though. 12 Minutes. 2 1/4 Stars.

Jimmy Rave vs Josh Daniels vs Trent Acid vs BJ Whitmer - ROH's Midnight Express Reunion
Supposedly this was originally supposed to be Rave vs Daniels in a past meets present Embassy. However, since Danny Maff is hurt, Whitmer was thrown into this and Trent Acid was sadly added to complete the match. Whitmer gets in some good moves, but the match is just a time filler. Allison Danger comes out early on in her red prom dress screaming for anyone to take down Whitmer. The commentators gives Daniels the ultimate praise by admitting he hasn't done much since leaving the Embassy. Great way to put over one of your young stars. Trent looks to have the win, but Rave hits a Shinning Wizard followed by the Rave Clash to get the victory. Post-match has Allison Danger begging the Embassy to kill Whitmer. Everyone just laughs and blows her off. Before Whitmer can get his hands on Danger, The Carnage Crew hits the ring and beats down Whitmer. Whitmer's head is shoved in a garbage can and is hit repeatedly with baseball bats. The Crew makes it known that they didn't do this for Danger, but because they feel left out of Foley's praises for Ring of Hardcore. Like most four corner survival matches, the match was pointless. ROH cutting back on the matches was one of the better things they've done within the last couple of years. However, it does have Rave winning with the Styles Clash to continue the slow burn feud with AJ until he could come back to ROH. Meanwhile, we have another step in the Carnage Crew/Maff & Whitmer feud. Sadly, it seems as if Daniels' potential push is over now. Then there's Trent Acid. He still sucks. 10 Minutes. 2 Stars.

Paul Roma vs Haku - MSG - November 25, 1989
This is Four Horsemen vs Dungeon of Doom years before it happened. Bobby Heenan is not at ringside with Haku. I'm guessing he was probably on the west coast to represent Andre the Giant in California or Rick Rude in Nevada. While we don't get Heenan, we do get Hillbilly Jim commentating with Gorilla Monsoon. So much awesomeness with complete crap. Roma is still a JTTS babyface while Haku is counting the days until he and Andre win the tag titles. Roma is running all over the place, putting in a lot of effort. He tries to ram Haku's head in the turnbuckle a few times, but that doesn't have much effect. Making it look effortlessly, he jumps on the middle rope and steps on the top, without even coming close to losing his balance. As the match progresses, Roma is getting several near falls, playing up to the possible huge upset. Roma misses a stinger splash which leaves him open to a superkick from Haku for the win. Especially for a squash, this was pretty entertaining. Roma looked as if he was putting in a lot of effort to try and impress WWE officials so he could get some sort of push. Meanwhile, Haku went along with it and was his talented form that I'm more used to. They repeated some of the same spots multiple times, but the fans were always into it. Overall, I can't really complain. Good opening match. 2 1/2 Stars.

The Rockers vs The Hart Foundation - MSG - November 25, 1989
This is now their second match together in one night. I already reviewed this back in late March. Watching it again, I appreciate it even more. You can really tell how they tell a story by not going too hard early on so you could build up enthusiasm for the hot final few minutes. This stuck out at me mostly because of how much I realized the Young Bucks tailored their style after the Rockers. There's a few spots that the Rockers hit that the Bucks modified. Unlike the Bucks, The Rockers are making sure the match isn't a roller coaster in terms of excitement. The main story of the match is how the Harts are feeling a little threatened that they're not having as easy of a time as they thought they would, so they start to revert back to their old heel days. At one point, Marty illegally closelines a Hart behind the ref's back while he wasn't the legal man. It's as if the Rockers were trying to fight fire with fire, but the Harts were just better at it. At this point, I'll say it's the second best WWE match of 1989. Every time I watch this, I love it more. 4 1/4 Stars.

Al Perez vs The Brooklyn Brawler - MSG - November 25, 1989
Perez is a former WCCW and NWA wrestler. I remember him best as one of the wrestlers in the triple cage match at Great American Bash 1988. He also worked against Sting as the Black Scorpion at Clash of the Champions in 1990. This is during his short stint in the WWE where he was a bigger house show star than TV star. Brawler controls most of the match. Brawler is clearly the one calling the shots of the match, How do I know this? You can hear him calling moves several times during the match. Perez gets his ankle stuck in the ropes, so Brawler stomps away at it some. When the referee can't free Perez, Brawler offers to. Brawler frees Perez's leg, but Al falls hard down to the floor. Brawler just points and laughs. HA. Brawler continues to work over the leg some more after Perez gets in the ring. Not much really happens until Perez stops selling the leg and lifts Brawler up for a spinning suplex (His finisher) for the victory. Not very good. Besides the obvious spot calling, the match wasn't too terribly exciting. Brawler gets some points for trying to create a story with the leg injury, but it's rendered moot when Perez decides to stop selling it. Still, it's not horrible though. 1 1/2 Stars.

Jake Roberts vs Ted DiBiase w/Virgil - MSG - November 25, 1989
These two had been feuding since Wrestlemania 5. After a Virgil vs Roberts match, DiBiase injured Jake's neck with the Million Dollar Dream. DiBiase eliminated Jake from their Survivor Series elimination match. Million Dollar Man and Virgil tries to double team Roberts before the bell, but Jake is too smart for that. The bell starts and they play to Damien's bag some. Some great images of Damien moving around in his bag. DiBiase gains control and really slows down the match working on the neck while taunting Roberts. The fans start chanting for Jake, so DiBiase starts clapping along as well. :lol: More work on Roberts' neck with Jake selling it really well. DiBiase starts to get cocky and he pays for it with a short arm closeline. Before he's able to hit the DDT, Jake is attacked by Virgil causing the DQ. DiBiase continues to assault Jake after the match, but once he turns his back, Jake fights off Virgil. Roberts attempts to DDT DiBiase, but Ted is able to escape to the back. Roberts pulls Damien out of the bag and lets the snake play on Virgil after he suffers a DDT. The actual story of the match was good. The problem with the match is that it's so slow moving. It's one thing to have a slow building match, but this wasn't that kind of match. This played a lot more to the crowd, so in that regard, it was a success. However, watching it on TV, it's a disappointment. They'd go on to have a much better match at Wrestlemania 6. 2 1/4 Stars.

John Cena vs JBL - Judgment Day 2008
Oh joy, like these two could ever have a good normal singles match together. I will give the duo some praise, the shoulder work was really good and told a story. It's still as exciting as watching paint dry, but at least there was a story. Looking at the time of the match, I'm really surprised it was only fifteen minutes. It felt more like twenty five minutes at least. Fifteen minutes is still far too long for JBL to wrestle in a normal singles match. Despite this severe boredom at times, the shoulder work was almost good enough to leave me at least satisfied. However, then the finish happened. Almost like they decided to repeat the failure that was their Wrestlemania match, they have JBL pounding on Cena for most of the match, only for Cena to hit a FU out of nowhere and it's over. How underwhelming and it only adds more to the hate that Cena has for being protected so much. Maybe if Cena had a finisher that could been seen as one of those moves that could pin someone despite not doing anything else to them, but it's a freaking fireman's carry into a slam. The ending alone just kills any chance that this match could have been a little fun match. 1 3/4 Stars.

Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat - Royal Rumble 1988
Noticeably absent is Bobby Heenan. I imagine he either doesn't feel as if this is worth his time or he's too busy with Andre tonight. Rude had entered the WWE that previous summer. With his first feud against Paul Orndorff coming to an abrupt end thanks to Orndorff leaving the company, Rude is just killing time before he can enter his next feud against Jake Roberts. Slow start with Steamboat working over the arm for a good portion of the match. I'm distracted by a woman (?) in the front row who brought a megaphone with her tonight so she can be even more obnoxiously annoying. The fact that she also has one of that clapper hats makes her one of my least favorite fans of all time. Rude applies a chinlock/camel clutch where Steamboat looks to have passed out. The ref raises his hand three times and it drops every time. The ref, not sure what to do, raises it again and this time Steamboat remembers to not let it drop. You can just tell Steamboat doesn't care. They work in numerous near falls ala Steamboat/Rude. Steamboat heads to the top rope, but Rude pulls the ref in front of him so Steamboat takes him out. Rude applies his dreaded *cough* break breaker submission. The ref finally stands up and calls for the bell. Rude heads to the back thinking he's won, but the referee awards Steamboat the DQ win thanks to Rude pulling him into danger. Ugh. I hate that finish. Despite being one of the best wrestlers of all time, there's two periods of time when Steamboat was pretty crummy. Early 1988 and the summer of 1991, both in the WWE. For both times, it seemed as if Steamboat was unhappy and an unhappy Dragon means a Dragon who's unwilling to put in the effort. It's a shame really. This is about on par with what Rude could produce in at the time before reaching his prime, so I doubt Rude was unhappy. The final few minutes before the lame DQ finish did create some excitement. However, Rude/Steamboat 1992, this is not. 2 1/4 Stars.

Tito Santana vs Shawn Michaels w/Sherri - Wrestlemania 8
Shawn's debut at Wrestlemania since turning heel in January. I can't recall if there's any official backstory of the match as it's really just a spotlight for the new Michaels. However, to create my own, Santana was friends with The Rockers. The three even teamed at Summerslam 1989 in a fairly good match. Once Michaels turned on Marty, Santana was not only outraged at this, but had flashbacks of when Rick Martel turned on him. So, Santana is here to fight for all of the Marty's of the world. Not much happens in this though. Both men are heavily using side headlocks. On the plus side, Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon kept it entertaining with their bickering. Things pick up near the end as Santana realizes he's still one of the better workers at the time and speeds the match pace up. A couple flying forearms keeps Michaels under control. The fans are even getting into the match. Santana goes to suplex Michaels back into the ring from the apron. However, Shawn grabs the top rope and falls on top of Santana. Somehow, that's enough to get the pinfall. After the match, Bobby Heenan proclaims Shawn Michaels the star of the 90's. Maybe he wasn't THE star, but Heenan pretty much nailed it. While the heel turn would end up doing so much for Michaels career, his workrate plummeted in the first couple of years compared to how he performed as a singles wrestler while still in the Rockers. Maybe it's just because Shawn was still trying to figure out what kind of wrestler he wanted to be now that he was heel, but the transistion period was rough. The lack of heel heat in this match is quite surprising. You have one of the best heel managers ever, yet she doesn't even touch Tito. Michaels doesn't even really cheat as well. The finish was the icing on the cake of the "Does Shawn realize he's a heel?" Shawn doesn't cheat and cleanly pins Tito just because he fell on him. The finish wasn't believable and just made Tito look like a jobber. Once Santana started trying to produce something good, the match did improve. As a result, anything good about this match should be credited to Tito. It's a shame Tito's career was just about over. He still had a lot of value in helping future stars like Michaels get over. The goal of making Michaels look good did work at least though. 2 Stars.

Dustin Rhodes vs Paul Diamond - MSG - September 21, 1990
Rhodes is enjoying his early cup of coffee with the WWE before he and daddy leaves for WCW in a few months. Meanwhile, Paul Diamond is killing time until he's given the red mask to become Kato in the Orient Express. Nearly all of Rhodes' offense is an arm drag into an arm bar. Diamond takes over and delivers a few elbows and slows the pace down with a reverse chin lock. Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan trashes Diamond every chance they get. Rhodes comes back before pinning Diamond with an elbow. A very basic match with Rhodes showing that he's still really green. Most of his offense looked sloppy and there were points where I'm not sure what he was going for, however; he wasn't hopeless. His punches were really good and the guy was a solid seller. If it wasn't for his last name, Rhodes would have made an awesome jobber. A perfectly fine showcase for Rhodes. 2 Stars.

Frankie Kazarian vs Lil' Cholo - Second Round - PWG's Bad Ass Mother 3000
B-Boy can't make the show, so Cholo takes his place. Cholo looks like a smaller B-Boy, so I imagine that's why he was picked. Still, wouldn't it have made more sense to have someone else take B-Boy's spot? In theory, Cholo could win the PWG championship despite not even being in the first round. Someone like Apollo Kahn would have been an acceptable replacement since he wrestled (And won) on the debut show. It doesn't really matter though, Kazarian beats Cholo after a short match. Cholo was hardly good (He botched his first move), but was acceptable enough. It would have been a real disaster had he been in the ring with someone of lesser quality than Kazarian. Kazarian wins with his half nelson choke to move on to the semi-finals. 2 Stars.

Black Bart vs Koko B. Ware - MSG - December 28, 1990
Who doesn't love starting off an event with a JTTS vs a jobber? Black Bart was pretty successful in the territories back in the early to mid 80's. Once he came to the WWE though, he was strictly a jobber. Picture a fatter, cowboy version of Eugene. Typical start with Koko easily in control while working over the arm of Bart. Bart takes over and the match grinds to a near stop with painfully dull restholds. Gorilla Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes entertains themselves by theorizing what Koko's headband says. Skip forward some and Bart misses a charge in the corner. Koko tries to school boy him, but it's sloppily done. That gets two. The Birdman hits his awesome missile dropkick where he lands on his feet. Koko finishes the cowboy off with a deadly looking Brainbuster. What's the difference between Black Bart and Boris Zhukov? One at least has SOME star power, despite putting on a poor performance. Sadly, my childhood memories of Koko are ruined by realizing what a terrible worker he was. However, boy did he ever have some awesome moves. Too dull to hold my interest and the lack of star power makes me wonder why I was even bothering to watch this. 1 1/2 Stars.

The Warlord vs Jimmy Snuka - MSG - December 28, 1990
Snuka looks coked out of his mind. With the Warlord ditching his Powers of Pain get-up, now looks like a roid'd up Steve Austin. Snuka gets in a lot of weak looking chops, headbutts and other shots. Warlord locks in the bear hug to kill time. Skipping forward, Warlord chokes Snuka out on the top rope, but fails to stop before the five count. Snuka wins by DQ. Ugh. While the opening match at least had some nice spots, there wasn't a single redeeming quality about this match. Snuka was easily the worst babyface in the company since his return at Wrestlemania 5. He may be a nice guy and looks like a real monster, but The Warlord was never exciting as a singles worker. Boring match with a shit finish.

Chris Hero vs Willie Mack - First Round - PWG's BOLA 2011
It's 2010 Hero back again to make another local guy look better than he really is. Okay, so Mack has some legit talent, but for whatever reason, we're still getting these matches with him. We saw it with him vs Roderick Strong and against Kevin Steen. As a result, the story is lost on me. Mack is already established, so you don't have that thrill of Mack doing surprisingly well against a top guy. Sadly, I thought Mack looked pretty weak in this. Half the time, I couldn't tell whether he had avoided a strike, was no selling it or just forgot about it. This was all Hero and to Hero's credit, he got something good out of Mack. Perhaps I'm souring on Mack, but I suppose that's part of the problem when you nearly instantly make a huge impact, but you don't have the experience to keep improving. Hero tries to a second cyclone elbow, but Mack merely counters it for a backslide to get the surprise pinfall. Personally, I was expecting Mack to win the whole thing, so the surprise had little effect on me. 3 Stars.

Sgt. Slaughter Demonstrates The Cobra Clutch - JCP's World Wide Wrestling - December 10, 1981
Frankly, I didn't even know Slaughter worked JCP/Mid Atlantic in 1981. I thought he was still in the WWE. Anyways, this was just a short three minute segment. Slaughter, coming off as a babyface, proceeds to educate the fans in how the Cobra Clutch works. He enlists the help of a young wrestler, Tony Anthony (AKA Dirty White Boy, T.L. Hopper and Uncle Cletus), to do that. This was pretty great in kayfabe goodness as it showcases why a hold works and helps get it over. Just to show that Slaughter is really a heel, after Anthony taps out, Slaughter attacks him and slaps the Cobra Clutch back on. A bunch of faces rush in the ring to cause the heel to flee. Fun segment, but I don't understand why they didn't include a Sgt. Slaughter match and just used this as an extra.

Rick Rude vs Jake Roberts - DDT vs Rude Awakening Match - MSG - October 24, 1988
The idea of this stipulation is that you can only win the match after you hit your opponent with your finisher. However, that creates a rather huge plot hole. If that's the only way to win, why not just bring in a chair, bash it over the opponent's head and then hit your move on the unconscious body? Instead, Rude and Roberts worked a normal match where it's indistinguishable from a typical singles match. Within the first ten minutes, a finisher is only attempted once (Jake), but Roberts did that in most matches. At the end, Rude tries to kiss Cheryl Roberts, but the distraction allows Jake to hit his DDT on Rude and pin him. I love Roberts and I love Rude, but these two didn't have any in-ring chemistry. Yet, if you want to watch either guy in 1988, you're practically forced to see them against each other as they wrestled each other practically twice a day, every day. The match wasn't entertaining, but had heat. Meh. 1 3/4 Stars.

Mr. Perfect (c) vs The Texas Tornado - WWE IC Title - Dayton, Ohio - January 13, 1991
I imagine this took place on the day of a TV taping, in between episodes. Frankly, I'm surprised it was never included on a Coliseum Home Video. Anyways, the feud is already over, but both guys are killing time until Perfect has his next feud. Already, Von Erich defeated Perfect for the title at Summerslam, but thanks to Ted DiBiase, Perfect won it back at a taping before the Survivor Series. This match seemed pretty similar to the one they had on Supertape #4. Surprisingly, Von Erich looked pretty good. I suppose it wasn't too difficult when all he did was throw discus punches. Hennig stands out as a total fool. He did my least favorite Perfect spot where he was whipped into the corner and he took a huge bump. Later, he tried removing a turnbuckle pad from behind the ref's back, but he can't untie it. It ends up giving up and just telling Tornado to take a Slaughter bump (Where you leap head first into the top of the ring post instead of the turnbuckle). Like in the Supertape #4 match, this had one of my least favorite finishes of all time. Perfect ended up pulling the ref's into harms way to create a ref bump. Von Erich nails a discus punch to cover Perfect. The ref wakes, counts, but Perfect kicks out. So the ref just goes over and stops the match to award the victory to Tornado by DQ. It ends up being really confusing as the viewer isn't sure why Perfect was DQ'd and it makes the ref look like a moron for counting if Perfect already earned a DQ. Sadly, Von Erich's two year stint with the WWE didn't produce anything memorable. 2 Stars.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Weird, saw the Money Inc./LOD match just a few hours ago. Yeah, not gonna argue with your opinion on that one. Or Cena/JBL for that matter. What did you think of their I Quit match 3 years before?

Reaction score
Well...let's see what I said in my JD 2005 review back in 2008:

WWE Judgment Day
May 22, 2005

Sunday Night Heat

Backstage, Mark Jindrak wants an apology from Kurt Angle. On the previous edition of Smackdown, Booker T busted Jindrak open for talking about Sharmell and the gutterslut talk. Angle tries to convince Jindrak that Sharmell is to blame for the attack. Jindrak would of course be fired in a matter of weeks. So I guess he never would get that apology.

Akio vs Nunzio
Non-CW title match on the night of a PPV? That'd never happen these days. Akio is wearing his bad ass blue pajama like pants. Nice back and forth action. Sicilian Slice by Nunzio. 1...2...NO...Akio kicks out. Akio to the top rope, YANG TIME~! 1...2...NO Nunzio kicks out. Akio looks on to the ref in disbelief and Nunzio pulls him down in a cross bow pin to get the three. For a short Heat match, it's quite good. Both men packed a lot into the match. I loved both guys kicking out of their finishes. The crossbow pin was a disappointment though. Akio would be released weeks after this show. Luckily, he'll be back soon enough with something he was missing before...an over gimmick. 4 Minutes. 2 Stars.

PPV

MNM (c) w/ Melina vs Charlie Haas and Hardcore Holly - WWE Tag Team Titles Match

I believe the only build up to this was Holly pinning Mercury on SD. Early on Haas does a CW armdrag reverse with the ropes. Holly tries the Alabama Slam, but Nitro superkicks him. Haas flies over the top ropes to hit members of MNM. Damn, Haas is putting in a lot of effort. Haas is hotshot on the ropes and receives the Snapshot for MNM to pick up their first PPV win. Holly always worked well in tag teams, but with Haas, he looked better than he did in years. Haas looked like he was willing to try anything to make the match exciting and he succeeds. These two teams would go on to have a 15 minute Iron Man Match on SD. For some odd reason, Haas was released along with Akio and Jindrak weeks later. Kinda a shame, these two teams could continue to put on great matches. 8 Minutes. 2 1/2 Stars.

Carlito w/ Matt Morgan vs The Big Show
As Carlito was preparing to return to the ring after an injury, he went out looking for a new body guard since Jesus was hurt/released. His first idea was The Big Show. Show was a guest on The Cabana where he turned down the idea and then stole Carlito's apple. But rest assured, Carlito had an idea that would happen. As Show bit into the apple, he began choking on it. Carlito slipped him a Snow White~!! Cue Matt Morgan who recently came back to SD as a jobbing killer stuttering monster. The Big Show looks a lot like former Demolition member Barry Darsow. However, it's current Darsow, which isn't scary at all. Being out of shape, mustache and bald head isn't a good look. Show spends most of the time being a monster and Carlito just tries to survive. Ref bump near the end and Matt Morgan hits a weak looking F5 to Show. Carlito covers and the ref wakes up to count the pinfall. Nothing special, but I enjoyed the match. This would mainly just be used to help build the Show/Morgan match with Morgan looking like a badass. However, once Show and Carlito is drafted to Raw, Morgan lingers until being released along with Jindrak, Akio and Haas. Being released will be a common theme for the night. 5 Minutes. 2 Stars.

Backstage, Sharmell gets a giftback full of underwear and a pair of handcuffs. Booker is enraged when he realizes it's from Angle.

Paul London (c) vs Chavo Guerrero - CW Title Match
After "Stealing" the CW title from London at No Way Out, London has been trying unsuccessfully win it until he finally did in a battle royal. This is Chavo's chance to win it back. Chavo starts off with some mat work, but London surprises him with a Dropsault. The 450 Splash misses. Chavo works over London's hurt ribs for most of the match. London counters a Gory Bomb with a kick. Chavo to the outside, but London nails a helo. A Candido Powerbomb is reversed by London sending Chavo to the mat hard. 450 Splash finally gets London a win over Chavo. London looked good in his first PPV win. I want to watch this match again to get a full feel of the match. The crowd's lack of interest hurt this match. Realizing that they weren't into it, may allow me to enjoy it more the second time. The 450 was done well, but London worked the Shooting Star Press even better. With Kidman being released along with Jindrak, Haas, Akio and Morgan, London would finally be able to do it. 11 Minutes. 2 1/2 Stars.

Backstage, Booker asks several wrestlers if they've seen Angle. For whatever reason, most of the wrestlers are dressed when they'll not even wrestling.

Elsewhere, Kurt Angle comes in Booker's lockerroom and jumps on Sharmell. After he gets done taking care of Booker, Sharmell is all his.

Booker T vs Kurt Angle
This feud started off like any boring feud. Angle cost Booker a match and Booker wants revenge. That is until Sharmell came into the feud. Angle called her a gutterslut and said that he wanted to have hot beastiality sex with her. For some reason, Booker takes offense to that. Booker throws Angle around to start the match. It shows signs of being a total squash. On the outside, Angle throws Booker into the ring post. Inside the ring, Booker hits a Book End, but Angle kicks out. Rolling Germans by Angle. If there's one guy who knows about taking rolling Germans, it's Booker. Angle gets cocky as he goes for the Angle Slam. Booker rolls through and pins Angle to win the match. I don't think I've ever seen an Angle Slammed countered like that before. Post match has Sharmell running out to be with Booker. Angle attacks Booker and drags Sharmell in the ring. Angle tries to handcuff Sharmell to the ropes, but Booker stops him and handcuffs Angle. Sharmell goes all crazy drunk girl on Angle with weak shots than gives him a kick between the legs. I hated this storyline. You had one of the best pure wrestlers in Angle and a very good all around wrestler in Booker T, yet you make the storyline around Angle being a pervert and wanting to sleep with Sharmell? Lame. This match was a letdown in that I know they could have put on a better match. The match isn't bad, but not up to their standards. Luckily, Angle would be drafted to Raw soon after this. 14 Minutes. 2 1/2 Stars.

Orlando Jordan (c) vs Heidenreich - US Title Match
The HUGE buildup to this was that Heidenreich defeated OJ in a non-title match on the SD before the PPV. Yup, that's it. The title that goes as far back as 1975 with Harley Race has a match built for 2 solid days. Before the match, Heidenreich looks around for a new friend. He finds one in a very energetic young girl (aka a plant). She's way too excited to be picked by Heidenreich. That or she's never been given sugar before and just tonight she's chugged 3 pops. He reads her one of his poems. At the end of the poem, he says that OJ reminds him of a little rascal. To finish it off he calls him Whole Wheat. *palm slap* In case you're wondering, the Little Rascals had a black kid with Don King like hair just like OJ. The kid's name was BUCK Wheat, not whole wheat. During the entire match, Heidenreich's "Friend" is going crazy cheering and booing. I've never seen someone this into an OJ match before. :lol: The match isn't anything special, but I can't stop laughing at this little girl seemingly the only one caring about the match. Several times during the match, OJ even taunts the little girl. :lol: OJ finishes Heidenreich with a DDT to retain his title. The finish to the match was sudden and didn't make much sense. Heidenreich's friend is devastated, but comes in the ring to try and cheers Heidenreich up. How do you cheer a Heidenreich up you might be asking? By doing the Heidenreich March. The girl actually does the Heidenreich march and swings her one arm up and down like he does in his entrance! God, this is priceless. :lol: This is one of the most unintentional funniest moments of the past decade. The match sucked, but fuck it entertained me so much. 5 Minutes. 3 Stars.

Backstage, JBL plugs his match tonight. He says how Cena's WWE career is over.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio
Ah yes, before the feud became one terrible twist after another. Since WM, Rey and Eddie has had some issues with Eddie teasing a heel turn. Eddie walked out on Rey during their tag title match with MNM to lose the titles. Eddie tried to make it up to Rey, but walked out on him again. MNM and Chavo Guerrero tripled team Rey one night only to have Eddie chase them off. It seemed as if things were good between Eddie and Rey until Eddie attacked Rey. Eddie ripped half of Mysterio's mask off and gave him a Brainbuster on the steel steps. Since then, Eddie carried the mask around and forced it on jobbers faces (Including Jimmy Jacobs) to act like he was beating up Mysterio. So it was quite a buildup. Rey shows a lot of viciousness in the beginning. Hmm, maybe this might not be too bad. Eddie takes over by ramming Rey in the announcers table a few times. Eddie is still being cheered by some people. Eddie dominates Rey for a few minutes until Rey starts firing back. Chavo Guerrero runs down to distract the ref as Eddie brings in a chair. Just as the ref gets rid of Chavo, he turns around to see Eddie using the chair and DQ's him. After the match, Eddie uses the chair to hit Rey a few more times. After a disappointing WM match, these two guys just put on one terrible match after another. This one is a bore with a finish that no one likes. The worst part about all this is that the ONLY good thing about this feud (the storyline) would be ruined after this show with the impending news that Rey isn't the father of Dominic. For a guy who's credited to being one of the best ever, Eddie was terrible in his final year. Matches with Benoit, Batista and Mysterio were all low points of the PPV. At this point, I'm not even surprised that this sucks. 19 Minutes. 1 1/2 Stars.

John Cena (c) vs JBL - I Quit WWE World Title Match
The rematch from Wrestlemania. JBL comes out in his Longhorn limo. Meanwhile, Cena comes out on the bed of a semi. Also on the bed of the semi is a dj remixing Cena's theme. The match starts off with some in ring mat work. Luckily, we know there won't be much of that. To the outside, JBL chokes JBL out with a cord. There's going to be a lot of that in this match. JBL plummets Cena with a chair and Cena is busted open badly. The blood is coming down in lines which makes Cena's face not too bloody, but his chest full of streaks of blood. It really helps it look worse than what it really is. Back inside the ring, JBL hits a few short arm closelines. JBL chokes Cena out with his chain. Cena still isn't giving up. Cena makes a come back and nails the FU. If this was a normal match, Cena would of won it by now. They make their way to JBL's limo where JBL is slammed on the hood. JBL hits a neckbreaker on Cena on the hood. The hood is dented up badly and is smeared with blood. JBL rips off an electrical cord and chokes Cena out again. Cena counters by throwing JBL head first through a TV set. Upon rewinding and watching the TV again, it looks like there wasn't even glass to break though, just some on the sides to get a reflection and to show some broken glass. JBL is bleeding now. JBL is thrown at his limo's window. This time there IS glass. JBL is whipped into the limo door (open) a few times until it falls off. Cena throws the door on the hood. Over to the semi, JBL is whipped into an air tank that goes off (Very Smackdown vs Raw). JBL climbs on the sound equipment and chokes Cena with some of the DJ cords. Cena pulls him down and JBL flies through the table the dj equipment was on. JBL walks to the JD set where behind him is some glass door like sets. Cena fired up knocks the smoke stack off of the semi and goes after JBL. Seeing the huge stack, JBL yells that he quits. Cena retains, but isn't done and uses the stack to crash JBL through the glass door set. Cena runs back to the ring and celebrates. Pretty fun match. This was just an all out bloody brawl with plenty of choking and fun spots. I really wish Cena would of sold his injuries at the end. After all of the punishment he took, there's no way he should of ran to the ring and looked like he was perfectly fine (besides the blood). I also don't like the fact that JBL gave up while looking fresh. Yes, it made him look like the cowardly heel he's supposed to be. However, it's not putting the match over as the brutal display of violence it was supposed to be. This was however, much better than their WM match. Even if it was full of hardcore wrestling that no one sold at the end, it had much better pacing and it was more exciting then their WM battle. Even with this being twice the time as the WM match (Seriously...11 min for a title match? wtf) this one goes by a lot faster. At the same time, I'm disappointed by all the talk I heard about this. This just wasn't the "Great" match I heard people call it. Sure, it's better than most JBL title matches, but that's not saying much. Still a really fun match though. 23 Minutes. 3 1/2 Stars.

Overall
In a year in which SD seemed to be trying to put on some of the worst PPVs ever, this seems to the sole PPV they forgot to be terrible at. There may not be any great matches at this show, but everything (outside the Mysterio/Guerrero match) is at least passable. At lot of the lower rank stars looked like they put in a lot of effort into the show (Haas for example). Sadly, people like Booker, Guerrero, Angle and Mysterio didn't seem to have the same passion for the night. JBL has one of his best title matches while OJ is actually in a match that entertains me, even if for the non-intended reasons. While I wouldn't give a strong recommendation to see this show, as far as SD in 2005 goes, this is your best bet.

Best Match: JBL vs John Cena
Worst Match: Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero

Overall Grade: C

Reaction score
Samoa Joe (c) vs Doug Williams - ROH World Title - Round Robin Challenge II
The first official title defense by Samoa Joe. It's crazy to think we're coming up on the ten year anniversary of Joe's title win. Anyways, Williams came into the match with a game plan. He'd use crafty European leverage holds to work his way out of danger spots and spend the majority of the match focusing on Samoa Joe's arm (A weak arm makes for a weak Coquina Clutch). Once Joe's weaken enough, Williams can finish him off with his Chaos Theory. While some of it does work out and Williams has success with the leverage holds (Surprisingly, the crowd is going crazy for these spots), Williams just can't seem to keep the momentum going. It seemed like every time Williams had something going, Joe would use a power move to stop it all. The length of the match is only twelve minutes long, but the crowd was into it, Williams looked like a capable star and Joe looked like the mother fucking dominate monster. After taking so much abuse in his arm, Joe just shrugs, knees the back of Williams head some and locks in the Coquina Clutch (Same combo as he won the ROH Title with) to force Williams to tap out. Good showcase for your strategy will mean jackshit if Joe locks in his choke. After the match, The Prophecy runs out to attack Joe. Michael Shane fails to make the save in more of this Prophecy vs The Group (The shitty little ROH faction with CW Anderson, Samoa Joe and Michael Shane) build-up to their big six man tag. 3 Stars.

Reaction score
Over the Limit 2012

Power to the People Battle Royal
AKA the fall from grace crew and the jobbers. This match was like the barren wastelands for pushes of yesteryear. Remember when the Great Khali cleanly pinned the Undertaker at Judgment Day 2006? How about when The Miz was in the position to be in the main event of Wrestlemania 27? There's Christian, the former World Heavyweight Champion the previous year. How about The Chosen One, Drew "I swear Vince McMahon once said I was the future" McIntyre. Anyways, this was just your usual battle royal without much going on. Big pops for William Regal and Tyson Kidd warmed my heart. The final showdown between Christian and The Miz was enjoyable though.

R-Truth and Kofi Kingston vs Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger - Tag Titles
A good match for delusional fans in believing that the tag titles are important to the WWE. Hey, I'm not complaining. This was a rather good long match with the heels working over Truth for the majority of it. Say what you will about Kofi, but he's actually great in tag teams as his spots make for the perfect results of a hot tag. R-Truth sucks something terrible though. Hot finish ends this surprisingly entertaining match. 3 1/4 Stars.

Beth Phoenix vs Layla - Divas Title
The story of the match was easily better than 95% of WWE women matches. Beth working over Layla's knee made for a match that had structure, allowed Beth to come off as a vicious heel and made Layla look like she had a lot of heart for sticking in there. Unfortunately, Layla sucks so all of Beth's hard work didn't mean much. Layla's selling of the knee was hit or miss. The out of nowhere finish with Layla beating Beth with a neckbreaker was pretty weak, although Beth sold it like a champ. Better than your average woman's match. 1 3/4 Stars.

Sheamus vs Alberto "My announcer is more over than me" Del Rio vs Chris "My jacket was more over than I was" Jericho vs Randy "I swear I'm a good guy now that I'm a husband and a father" - World Heavyweight Title
This showcased both the great and terrible things associated with multimen matches. The positive was that it was non-stop action and there were points where the match was damn exciting. The finishing stretch of everyone hitting their big moves was especially top notch. The negative is having a match with more than two guys, but rarely do we see everyone in the ring at the same time. It becomes comical how they keep subbing guys in and out of the ring to only keep two guys in at one time. What's the point of having a fatal four way if we don't get plenty of four-way action? The result is just a mindless match of moves. The only one who even deserves credit for trying to create a story was Alberto Del Rio working over Sheamus' bad shoulder (Injured during the Daniel Bryan Extreme Rules match) so he could force Sheamus to tap out with his armbar. It's a strange case where I enjoyed the action, but the match structure and booking was a dreadful mess. I'm not sure how a match like this benefited anyone. 3 Stars.

The Miz vs Brodus Clay
Just in case it wasn't made perfectly clear that The Miz had fallen off of the face of the earth earlier. Pretty terrible match despite how short (Under five minutes) the match was. To me, Brodus is a guy who desperately needs to be a monster heel. Even if he sucks, it won't matter as he can still be effective in the role. Here, he's a terrible dancer (Rikishi, he is not) and his match stopped being fun after the intros. Brodus won to continue his temporary push before he drops off into the "Wait, they were pushed?!" territory. 1 1/4 Stars.

Cody Rhodes vs Christian - IC Title
Could the WWE have made the crowd care less? It's rather depressing seeing how dead the fans were for a match that looks so good on paper. Then again, you have Christian randomly being a face again, without reason, after being a heel for the last year. In addition, the match didn't have any backstory and was merely created 30 minutes ago. Yeah, try caring about that. They tried, but the crowd wasn't into it and it had that feel of just being mindless filler. Seeing Christian win was nice, but who really cares? 2 Stars.

CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan - World Heavyweight Title
Was there a backstory to the match? I know there was that AJ crap, but based on the way the commentators talked, it sounded like she was just starting to act a bit wacky. This was pretty damn awesome though. Even though Bryan's a shit heel during this "YES~!" gimmick due to how much the fans love it, it's still great to see how loud the crowd was for both guys during the entire match. The crowd gave it that extra important feel. Good selling of the knee by Bryan and Punk did a fine job at selling his ribs. Dug their little ode to the indies with Punk using Nigel McGuinness' top rope closeline and Super Dragon's Curb Stomp. As the match neared the final minutes, I was only getting more and more into the match. The finish was perfect with Punk merely escaping, but not outright proving he was the better man. They managed to provide a reason to check out this PPV. 4 1/2 Stars.

Ryback vs Camacho
Just a short squash for Mr. Goldberg 2.0. I've seen a good few shit on the match, but I don't understand the hate. It's fine for what it was. Camacho had some really good facial expressions when selling and Ryback comes off like a beast. Perfectly non-offensive and with a purpose (Further push Ryback). The only drawback is putting all of these Ryback squashes on PPV when you see the exact same matches on the free shows. If you can't figure out a good way to fill three hours of PPV time, drop the price tag and start doing two hour PPV's again. SQUASH.

John Cena vs Johnny Ace
It's 2012, can we finally give up on the silly notion of always having a heel authority figure? They all follow the same fucking formula of McMahon vs Austin, only they're less entertaining each time around. This match was the embodiment of why I hate John Cena and why I took a break from the WWE. Johnny Ace is responsible for having Brock Lesnar injure Cena. So how does Cena try and gain revenge? Have a twenty minute comedy match. Makes PERFECT sense. This was a clear example of the WWE being TV-PG. Austin and McMahon had similar matches before, but they were a little fun because of the beer, foul language and the fact that Austin could do comedy without making it feel any less heated. Here, Cena pulls out such childish acts as ringing the ring bell next to Ace's ear, pouring water (Oh noez~!) on Ace and repeatedly having the fans count to ten during his STF's. Be a Star, John. I won't get in on the stupidity of having Show turn heel on Cena, but it took a twenty minute match to end in the single most predictable way? People paid fifty bucks or more for an event where THIS was the main event? Ha. Fuck this match. Fuck this company. Fuck John Cena. Fuck the WWE bookers. THIS type of shit is why I'm not a WWE fan anymore. 1/2 Star.

vlcsnap2012102723h30m00.jpg

God bless you for giving two shits about this match.

--------

No Way Out 2012

Sheamus vs Dolph Ziggler - World Heavyweight Title
Ziggler not wearing his Over the Limit ring jacket is a downgrade. He came off like a bigger star with it. Not amazing or anything too noteworthy, but a quality match nonetheless. The crowd reaction was the most memorable aspect of the match. While it didn't seem like the crowd hated Sheamus, they spent portions of the match booing him and cheering Ziggler on huge. I'm still not sure what people see in Ziggler (Good talent, but worth busting a nut over? Nah), but you can't deny the fact that people dig him. Clean win for Sheamus keeps him looking good. Good match, but it felt like they were holding back due to being just the opener. Speaking of which, why is the World Heavyweight Title match the curtain jerker? I get it, the title isn't close to being in the WWE Title's league, but why can't the IC title open the show? Whatever. Put Ziggler on PPV and you're guaranteed a 3 star range match. 3 1/4 Stars.

Santino vs Ricardo - Tuxedo Match
This was really a feud? :lol: My God, this sucked. Similarly to Ace vs Cena, this felt like the WWE's attempt at PG humor, but i fell flat. All I could think while watching this is that fans had to pay money to see it. At best, it's a Raw segment to kill some time. Congrats WWE, you just had two WMOTYC's in a three match PPV stretch. That's fucking pathetic. At least this was short. 3/4 Star.

Christian vs Cody Rhodes - WWE IC Title
I wonder if Christian isn't 100% because these matches seem so much better on paper than they turn out to be. The positive is that this was better than their Over the Limit match. Dug Rhodes' work over Christian's previously injured shoulder. The final few minutes were pretty hot. Somehow, they made Rhodes kicking out of the Unprettier feel like a big deal. The Spear finish came out of nowhere, but they at least set it up earlier in the match when Christian attempted it. Good match, but I imagine they could have so much better matches. 2 1/2 Stars.

Usos vs Primetime Players vs Colons w/AW vs Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel - #1 Contender's Match
WWE tag team wrestling is alive~! Sadly, it's also very much dead to the crowd. The fans could not have cared less about this match. The two times they reacted were the Uso's chant (Not loud, but it was something) and Kidd's great hurricanrana spot to the outside where Epico landed on everyone. The crowd's reaction on the latter spot makes me think the WWE would have been better off having a Texas Tornado style match where everyone could just go wild with their crazy spots. It'd be a spotfest, but the crowd would care and thus the wrestlers would benefit from it. Dull match, little crowd interest and an AW turn on the Colons that got zero reaction. It's good the WWE has several teams, but that only helps the tag division if they're over. 1 3/4 Stars.

Layla vs Beth Phoenix - Divas Title
A large portion of the match revolved around Layla stealing Beth's headband and mocking Beth by dancing around with it and running around the ring while Beth tried to get the headband back. AWFUL comedy that only made Layla out to be a fucking bitch. Once again, it's PG comedy that is far too childish to appeal to me. Layla's awful and she makes me long for the days of Trish Stratus. The only good thing about the match was how well Beth takes Layla's neckbreaker finisher. Even Beth isn't good enough to make Layla watchable when Layla is being obnoxious. Huge step down from their Over the Limit match. 3/4 Star.

Hunico vs Sin Cara
Is this a continuation of their 2011 feud or is this just another random match on PPV? Gah, why are they still using that shitty blue and yellow lighting? On the plus side, they had Hunico control most of the match. The negative side is that once Sin Cara went on offense, everything he did looked weak. Serious, how is it possible to hit a dropkick, but look like it barely touched the guy? Is it that hard to look convincing? Hilarious moment came when Sin Cara made the hand gesture for the crowd to make noise. The crowd responded with dead silence. Ha. Loud "We want Ryder...woo woo woo" chant. With the show taking place so close to NY, why isn't Ryder on the show? Was he possibly injured? Sin Cara picked up the win in yet another dud on this show. 1 3/4 Stars.

CM Punk vs Kane vs Daniel Bryan - WWE World Title
When it comes to triple threats or four ways, it's pointless to have the match unless all the guys interact for most of the match. Not surprisingly, the highlights of the match was whenever all three guys were in the ring. Loved the nod to the finish of the Over the Limit match with Punk getting the nearfall after countering a Yes Lock into a pin attempt. Likewise, dug that they made a little story out of Punk's elbow drop where it took him three attempts to finally hit it. Big surprise *Insert massive amounts of sarcasm* that putting Punk and Bryan in a Kane match suddenly makes Kane look awesome. It obviously wasn't as good as Punk/Bryan from Over the Limit and I thought the finish was weak due to the camera never even picking up on AJ until she was bumped off of the apron, but this exceeded my expectations. Loved the three-way spots, the one-on-one spots were fine, thought the finish was weak. Still, easy MOTN. God bless CM Punk and goat face. 3 1/2 Stars.

Ryback vs two jobbers
I'll admit, I loved hearing the jobbers sing the old school Wrestlemania theme. Now that's the kind of cheesy comedy I can be into. Ryback's squashes are fun, but I still think it's a poor idea putting them on PPV month after month. The WWE has five hours of primetime television each week, why are we having the same stuff from Raw on PPV? Use the Ryback beatdowns of lowcard stars (Even a guy like Jinder Mahal) for the PPV, while the jobbers can be on Raw. Dug the squash, slightly humored by the Goldberg chant and I still can't figure out the Ryback gimmick. What's the deal with his arm motions in his entrance? SQUASH.

John Cena vs The Big Show - Cage Match
From what I gather, if Show loses, Johnny Ace will be fired. That means three of the last four PPV's (Wrestlemania, Over the Limit and No Way Out) all revolved around the idea of Ace's job depended on his side winning. Does the WWE have so few ideas that they have to use the same ones over and over again? Reviewing this match is really like reviewing two matches. The first match is surprisingly awesome with The Big Show manhandling Cena. Big Show brought his A game and looked fucking awesome. While Cena didn't do anything to add to the enjoyment of the match, he didn't hurt the match either. While that's all good, the second match begins with the overbooked finish where Johnny Ace, Vince McMahon, Brodus Clay, Kofi Kingston, Zack Ryder, Santino and Alex Riley all had to interfere. Basically, it's "How to ruin a match 101". Why is it that John Cena, the face of the company, needs the help of five random lowcarders to combat The Big Show and the injured Johnny Ace? It's fucking stupid. Had they just had Cena beat Show after a FU (Before any of the interference), the match would have been about a 3 1/4 star match. The ending hurt it a lot for me and it's now three straight PPV endings that left a sour taste in my mouth. WWE booking sucks. Big Show, the top rope wonder, rules. 2 1/2 Stars.

Reaction score
Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes (c) vs Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas - Unified Tag Titles - Clash of the Champions 21
In all honesty, this may be one of the best examples of storytelling in WCW history. You have two teams made up of babyfaces and friends. In fact, it's just one day shy away from the one year anniversary of Ricky Steamboat's return to WCW to be Barry Windham's sub in a tag team title match with Dustin Rhodes. So nearly the entire match plays out fairly and without cheating. It's only Jesse Ventura bringing up the fact that tempers will have to eventually boil over due to the importance of the match. Now, most of the story revolves around Shane Douglas playing the face-in-peril. Being that he has the least amount of experience, it makes the most sense for him to be the weak link. While Rhodes and Windham shows phenomenal team work, Ricky Steamboat cheered his heart out. Steamboat went crazy in running around the ring, coming in and doing anything to try and rally Douglas on. Being the young boy, Douglas makes the mistake of going for crossbodies whenever he gets the briefest moments of hope instead of stopping and tagging in Steamboat.

Finally, Douglas got in the hot tag and it's time for the storytelling to be kicked into another gear. During an exchange between Rhodes and Steamboat, Steamboat attempts to leap over Rhodes, but Rhodes runs headfirst into Steamboat's family jewels. Sadly, that means little Richie Steamboat won't have a little brother. While Rhodes initially went for a pin attempt, he noticed how badly hurt Steamboat was and realize what happened. So Rhodes refuses to pin Steamboat while Windham is going apeshit on the apron. Windham finally manages to tag himself in and doesn't show any mercy on Steamboat, even hitting an inverted atomic drop. From the apron, Rhodes is begging Windham to take it easy on Steamboat. Windham went to pin Steamboat, but Rhodes came in and pulled him off. This leads to a shoving match between the champions and allows Steamboat to get the blind tag to Douglas. Windham turns around right into a belly-to-belly suplex by Douglas to lose the tag titles. Easily one of the best tag matches in WCW history. Everyone played their part to perfection. 4 1/4 Stars.

Oh, but the storytelling doesn't stop there. By this point, Windham is justified in his anger towards Rhodes, but Rhodes isn't completely in the wrong either. Rhodes was just too much of a good guy. After the match, Windham yelled for Rhodes to return to the ring. After having a period to cool off, Rhodes is all apologizes. He knows he fucked up, but it was a tough situation being stuck between his two best friends. Rather than accept his apology or just break up the team, Windham turned on Dustin. It ends with Windham nailing his finisher, the superplex to an already badly beat up Dustin. So now Windham took things too far and his justified anger has led to him becoming a possible heel.

Oh, but the storytelling doesn't even stop there. After the commercial break, Jesse Ventura interviews the new tag champions. Ricky Steamboat claims he wishes the match ended in a different manner, but he puts over Rhodes for putting their friendship above some match. Then *BAM* Barry Windham rushes into camera view by nailing Steamboat with a chair. Windham beats the shit out of Douglas as well. Now Windham has completely lost it and allowed his frustrations with Dustin to cause him to become one of the biggest heels in WCW. God damn this is an amazing story. The best part of all is that even though Windham is the clear heel now, you can still understand where he's coming from. Fuck, I love this story.

Reaction score
The Midnight Express (c) vs The Southern Boys - NWA US Tag Titles - Great American Bash 1990
I feel like the years of remembering this as a surprisingly great match had caused me to have too high of expectations when I finally got around to seeing it for the first time in years. It's not to say it's a bad match, far from it, but my expectations were too high and MX had to great PPV matches already in 1990. The heel comedy/humiliation was done better in Rock n Roll Express vs MX and the excitement near the end was better in Z-Man/Pillman vs MX. To be perfectly honest, The Southern Boys weren't too good of a team, at least in WCW where you had some amazing teams. Several points in the match, a Southern Boy would get a bit lost in the match and have to retrace his steps to remember what he was supposed to do. Plus really, who can name another awesome Southern Boys match besides this one? Still, MX are awesome and the Southern tag formula is nearly impossible to ruin. I particularly loved Jim Ross' call for when Bobby Eaton nailed his Alabama Jam. Oh no, it wasn't just some move from the top rope. Due to the height of the move, Ross called it as if Eaton was sacrificing his body because he knew how much damage it'd cause his opponent. Those sort of calls and little storytelling just isn't done anymore. As always, the MX heat sequence on Smothers was really good. I particularly loved Smothers' Bret Hart-like bump from the apron to the steel railing. All in all, it's a really good match, but I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy the MX's two previous 1990 PPV matches a tad more. 4 Stars.