Reservation sues beer brewers for alcohol-related suffering

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
An aboriginal band in South Dakota has filed a $500-million lawsuit against three of the world's largest beer brewers alleging their alcohol is causing harm on the reservation.

Lawyer Tom White, who represents the Oglala Sioux Tribe, alleges the beer companies and retailers named in the lawsuit are helping to illegally import alcohol in Whiteclay, Neb., to the nearby Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, where alcohol is prohibited.

The defendants named in the lawsuit include retailers and major beer manufacturers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Pabst, Molson Coors and Miller Brewing Company.

The band wants $500 million in damages for the cost of health care and social services.

The lawsuit says the village of Whiteclay has a dozen residents, but in 2010 four licensed stores sold nearly five million cans of beer.

Most of the beer bought in the village is resold on the Pine Ridge reservation, about 75 metres away, the lawsuit says.

"The defendants have failed to make reasonable efforts to ensure their products are distributed and sold in obedience to the laws of the State of Nebraska and the Oglala Sioux Tribe," White said.

None of the allegations in the statement of claim have been proven in court.

Alcohol has been illegal on the reservation since 1832, except for a brief period in the early 1970s.

One in four children born on the reservation are diagnosed with fetal alcohol syndrome or fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, the document says.

The average life expectancy is estimated to be between 45 and 52 years, the lawsuit says. The average life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.5 years.

"The illegal sale and trade in alcohol in Whiteclay is open, notorious and well-documented by news reports, legislative hearings, movies, public protests and law enforcement activities such as road blocks set up between Whiteclay and (Pine Ridge)," the lawsuit says. "All of the above have resulted in the publication of the facts of the illegal trade in alcohol and its devastating effects on the Lakota people, especially its children, both born and unborn."

Anheuser-Busch InBev and Molson Coors didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

Hmm, last time I checked the brewers didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to drink their product. Something tells me this lawsuit isn't going to go anywhere.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
People need to stop blaming Alcohol and Tobacco companies. There wouldn't be a product if you weren't using it to begin with. And this isn't 1910 when the public wasn't aware of the consequences of using said products either. Take some goddamn responsibility for your actions.

Reactions: 1 person
Reaction score
Usually I'd agree that its dumb but if their actually importing it illegally isn't that wrong, not 500 mill wrong but wrong.

CrimsonTide

Reaction score
Usually I'd agree that its dumb but if their actually importing it illegally isn't that wrong, not 500 mill wrong but wrong.

What I gathered was they are selling it in stores where it is legal to sell it, near the reservation.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
What I gathered was they are selling it in stores where it is legal to sell it, near the reservation.

This.

Regardless, no one forced any of them to drink once it got to the reservation.

Reaction score

Not me it says they were "illegally importing" it and it sounded like they mean't to the reservation.

This.

Regardless, no one forced any of them to drink once it got to the reservation.

True but if its illegal it shouldn't matter, it'd be like me buying alcohol for minor. I don't have to force them to drink it for it to be illegal.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Not me it says they were "illegally importing" it and it sounded like they mean't to the reservation.

True but if its illegal it shouldn't matter, it'd be like me buying alcohol for minor. I don't have to force them to drink it for it to be illegal.

Minors drinking and grown men choosing to drink are two entirely different things.

Most of the beer bought in the village is resold on the Pine Ridge reservation, about 75 metres away, the lawsuit says.
CT was right, the alcohol is making it's way there but not by the companies themselves.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
*improper joke about Indians and drinking*

Gotta love lawsuits like this. Just like someone suing McDonalds because they are fat and eat there everyday.