• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chadillac

Reaction score
These two will have a great feud sometime this year. That match was excellent and I do think the fans would get into a feud. Viewers gained doesn't matter much to me because the match was announced during the show.

It was not a great match. Period. It was an average match. The charcters themselves is what was entertaining, but the match was pretty sloppy at times, with a couple badly blow spots. Punk needs to get off this "Best wrestler in the world" crap B/C people in mass dont tune in for 5 star wrestlings matches. In fact, the greatest matches of all time have been horrible wrestling preformances. The crowd may respect very technical matches, which Bryan nor Punk are great at, but it's the emotion surrounding the match that will sell it.

For every 1 fan that would buy or watch a show for a "technical wrestling" match, 10 more would buy if they felt they would whitness somethng like Hell in a Cell with Taker and Foley in '98, or the emmotion surrounding Hogan vs Rock in '02.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
It was not a great match. Period. It was an average match. The charcters themselves is what was entertaining, but the match was pretty sloppy at times, with a couple badly blow spots. Punk needs to get off this "Best wrestler in the world" crap B/C people in mass dont tune in for 5 star wrestlings matches. In fact, the greatest matches of all time have been horrible wrestling preformances. The crowd may respect very technical matches, which Bryan nor Punk are great at, but it's the emotion surrounding the match that will sell it.

For every 1 fan that would buy or watch a show for a "technical wrestling" match, 10 more would buy if they felt they would whitness somethng like Hell in a Cell with Taker and Foley in '98, or the emmotion surrounding Hogan vs Rock in '02.

Chad's right. It's really about the emotions surrounding the match itself. The story has to be good, the build up really has to matter. Both sides have to have something worth fighting for, something that the fans want to see happen. It's outcomes that an individual really wants to happen, so bad that it turns thousands of stomachs into knots as the match is taking place.

It's a beautiful thing being a wrestling fan sometimes, when you witness something magical that millions of people connect with you on it. It's like watching your home team, the team you stuck by and rooted for years... even suffering year and year of disapointment. A magical season, with a playoff run and your team is in the World Series. At the end of the series, your favorite player hits a Home Run in the bottom of the ninth inning, down by 1 to tie Game 7 of the World Series. Stuff like that really sets off a spark within a person, emotions that you can only get by investing so much interest in something.

A technical battle between Daniel Bryan and CM Punk on RAW this past week shouldn't get rave reviews. Punk crammed shit into the allotted time he was given, just like he always does on TV. Anyone else ever notice that? It's like Punk constantly has to prove to everyone how good he is, so he tries way too hard and winds up botching a simple move that he's done a thousand times before. It didn't take me out of reality while watching it, like a really good match does. It was... nothing special in my book. But that's just me.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
The fact that so many people take his Best in the world tagline so serious is some of the funniest shit lately.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Cause it's a catchphrase. Triple H used to say I'm that damn good all the time, Austin said Hell yeah all time, Rock said all his catchphrases all the time, hell Jericho said he was the best in the world at what he does every promo when he started. It's just a catchphrase on a shirt that's been selling very very well so why not. I just think people get too up and arms about the whole thing it's not that big of a deal.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
Have you seen his television matches? He's working like he's trying to prove it, cramming everything possible into the 7-8 minutes they're giving him before they hit commercial... even botching moves every week. Maybe it's cause he's under the microscope now, but I've been noticing it a hell of a lot more recently.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I've been enjoying his work in the ring esp these last few months and haven't seen nothing to make me go omg he's sloppy but that wasn't even my point. Point just simply was he says it a lot cause it's a catchphrase whether people think he actually is or not is ones personal opinion. I didn't think Jericho was the best in the world at what he did but it didn't bother me since it simply was a catchphrase really not that serious. If there is anything I'm gonna complain about in regard to him lately it would be me thinking he's not doing his best on the mic like he could be not cause of a phrase.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Cause it's a catchphrase. Triple H used to say I'm that damn good all the time, Austin said Hell yeah all time, Rock said all his catchphrases all the time, hell Jericho said he was the best in the world at what he does every promo when he started. It's just a catchphrase on a shirt that's been selling very very well so why not. I just think people get too up and arms about the whole thing it's not that big of a deal.

If HHH, Rock, Or Austin said something, You could take it to the bank. HHH has allways been that damn good, Austin was "Hell YA", And The Rock was the most electfifying man in sprts entertainment. It was more than just catch phrases, it was the truth.

Punk is NOT the best wrestler in the world. And him saying it every week makes eyes role everywhere.

And before you bring up Cody, he is dashing. Thats the truth to. And don'yt start any gay crap B/C i assume most of us are mature enough to call it like it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Wouldn't be a bit surprised if it held up for TV match of the year, even this early.
Bet you 5 bucks Rey will have something to say about that

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
If HHH, Rock, Or Austin said something, You could take it to the bank. HHH has allways been that damn good, Austin was "Hell YA", And The Rock was the most electfifying man in sprts entertainment. It was more than just catch phrases, it was the truth.

Punk is NOT the best wrestler in the world. And him saying it every week makes eyes role everywhere.
That still wasn't my point as I already said. Who the best in the world is never a fact in the first place anyways. Someone could think the best in the world has to have both mic skills and in ring skills and another could not give a fuck about mic skills and vice versa. And I wasn't gonna bring up Cody don't worry you do it enough for everyone anyways.

Zen

Reaction score
While I do often, on a visceral level, feel like rolling my eyes whenever Punk mentions "He is the best wrestler in the world", there is absolutely nothing wrong with it -- it is merely a gimmick. People need to get over it. As far as Punk being seriously believed to be some great wrestler, at the very least it is not nearly as annoying as when people use to consider that with regards to guys like Edge,Angle, or certain others I could mention.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
While I do often, on a visceral level, feel like rolling my eyes whenever Punk mentions "He is the best wrestler in the world", there is absolutely nothing wrong with it -- it is merely a gimmick. People need to get over it. As far as Punk being seriously believed to be some great wrestler, at the very least it is not nearly as annoying as when people use to consider that with regards to guys like Edge,Angle, or certain others I could mention.
Finally someone got a very very simple point I was trying to make.

Chadillac

Reaction score
Finally someone got a very very simple point I was trying to make.

Well I personaly think it is going to lead in to an angle with Jericho. One clams to the the best wrestler in the world, the othe claims to be the best at what he does.

But Punk really does try to sell himself as some sort of super awesome technical wrestler, which is about as annoyng as hearing someone average on the mic, claim they are the most enertaining. Its ok for a heel to exagerate like that, but not a face. Its more than just a gimmick for Punk, he really belives it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well yeah no shit we've been knew that was gonna be what the feud was about esp since Jericho just attacked him.

That's kind of the point for him character wise to be confident. Who are you to say what is okay for him to do or not to do. Guy just isn't there to pick up and check and be content with himself he wants to be the best just like many others in wrestling and if you aren't out there to do that then you don't need to be in the WWE let alone be the world champion. As I said anyways whether someone is that good or not is all opinion it's not fact. I'm sure there is a good amount of wrestlers around the world out there better than him but at the end of the day there isn't some guy out there who is the best wrestler in the world that every single person is gonna agree on so get over it. Apparently if you're a face in wrestling you're not allowed to believe in yourself despite what others think I'm done with this subject cause this is stupid.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
And before you bring up Cody, he is dashing. Thats the truth to. And don'yt start any gay crap B/C i assume most of us are mature enough to call it like it is.
:lmao

Well I personaly think it is going to lead in to an angle with Jericho. One clams to the the best wrestler in the world, the othe claims to be the best at what he does.
i think the angle has already started so, unless i was dreaming about what happen on Raw.

Its ok for a heel to exagerate like that, but not a face. Its more than just a gimmick for Punk, he really belives it.
whats wrong with someone believing hes the best at what he does, so you would prefer it if he came out every night and said "Tonight i'm gonna wrestle chris jericho, hes a much better wrestler then me, on the mat in the air and in every other categories. But i'll do my best."