Rate this film: Mortal Kombat (1995)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Mortal Kombat: B+

I wouldn't dare calling Mortal Kombat a great film, but by God is it an entertaining one. I saw this film twice in the theaters and it still has a powerful on me these days. The casting was dead on, in my opinion, Linden Ashby being my favorite actor of the film. I never cared much for Christophe Lambert. Much to my surprise, though, he did surprisingly well as Rayden, and was able to convey all the mystique and "coolness" of the character. And what can I say about Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung? Let's say he was born to play he role. Some of his acting was over the top, but it makes it part of the fun of his performance. The sets are also well put together and really give the film an ethereal atmosphere.

It has some downsides, though. Even for 1995 standards, the special effects really are underwhelming. I don't mean the Goro puppet, it looked darn fine. I mean the CGI effects. They have been aging horribly. These are by far the worst part in the movie. Also, I wish Shang Tsung had fought Liu Kang by metamorphing into various characters from the movie, instead of summoning some random soldiers during the fight. The script has a few headscratching moments. The first that comes to my mind is Kitana being entirely crytpic when trying to help Liu Kang (Why dopesn't she simply say "Use Water against Sub Zero...?") . Also, what happens to Johhny Cage when Liu Kang fights Reptile? Why didn't he come to his help? Last but not least: Why does Sonya get kidnapped so easily? The Sonya in the game would have never gone done so easily, at least not without a fight. She was a relatively strong and independent character in the film, and I know Rayden has been trying to teach her to admit that she sometimes need a be more dependent, but this is really pushing it. She goes from that badass warrior to that weak ass chick in the final act...Also some really cheesy lines are in the script, but they're part of the fun.

Most of fight scenes still hold up pretty well today, my favorite being Scorpion vs Johnny Cage. Anderson truly is a master of making crafting guilty pleasures of films. Add a memorable soundtrack, and you have one hell of a memorable experience. A guilty pleasure kind of experience, but still. Anderson is master at crafting that kind of films (AvP, Resident Evil, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Wow, we've got some radically different thoughts on this one! I did a mini-review for this years ago on a now-defunct site but here were some of the highlights.

1. It's pretty sad when an actor can't even convincingly play an actor as is the case with Linden Ashby's non-performance as Johnny Cage.

2. Christopher Lambert, on the other hand, is a good actor, so why do the writers give him repetitive dialogue like "I don't think so" to work with?

3. The "fight" scenes look like something that Golden Harvest or Shaw Brothers would have left on the cutting room floor or just permanently destroyed for all time. If there's one thing I'll never understand, its why non-Asian filmmakers somehow feel they can rip off Asian films properly. It never works and generally just makes the Americans look like fools for trying to build a better mousetrap.

4. I have never seen a more shameless attempt at shilling a sequel as I did at the end of this film. When I saw this in the theatre people were actually groaning at it...not a good thing.

That's just a few bullet points but in case you couldn't tell, I thought this was a horrid abomination from all sides. So of course it also stands to reason that I absolutely loved it and still watch it to this day! Yes, I bet you thought I was going to give it a D or even an F, but it gets a solid B from me for the same entertainment reason that you gave. However, Anderson doesn't get a pass from me on AvP, which is just fucking horrible, while I'd prefer not to speak of the Resident Evil films at all.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I liked the movie. It was a good popcorn flick and a movie I bought on Blu Ray a few months ago. I am not going to say it was great by any stretch of the imagination though. The acting was terrible and some of the fight scenes cheesy. My favorite was Johnny/Scorpion though. That was a great fight scene. Overall, for my own entertainment, I give it a B-. The sequel however can kiss my nuts.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
I wouldn't say Linden Ashby was a great actor or anything, but he looked the part of Johnny Cage very much in the film.

And I totally agree with the ending. Even at the age of 11, it made me cringe.

Reaction score
the games of mortal kombat have such a high expectation when it comes to someone making a film about it. I enjoyed the first film, except the ending...

1. I do also agree, Shang Tsung should have transformed to keep with his character.
2. They did make Sonya look like the typical white girl in a horror flick toward the end of the movie.
3. To me, Goro looked way too robotic.

When it comes to the second film, I liked all the different characters brought up, but I hated how quickly they were killed off.
1. Rain dying the way he did by Sho Khan? Fucktarded...
2. Baraka dying so quickly? Fucktarded...
3. Mileena dying so quickly by a move from a new acting Sonya? Fucktarded...
4. What was the monster suppose to be in this movie? Moloch? fucktarded...
5. They had robot smoke and robot cyrax but no robot sektor? fucktarded...
6. Human Sub Zero coming and going/ Scorpion coming and going so quickly? Fucktarded...

the list goes on... the second film was a waste of time

I heard they were in the process of making a third film that would pick up where the second left off, however, its said that on the web for over 8 years now... I pray someone does this justice... Mortal Kombat is a franchise way bigger than Tekken or Street Fighter, so whoever picks it up if they do, needs to do it right.

Alex Scott

Metrosexual New Owner
Reaction score
So happy I saw this as Mortal Kombat is one of my favorite movies of all time. Being a huge MK fan, I marked out huge when watching this. I found the fight scenes very well done, especially Cage vs. Scorpion. I thoroughly enjoyed how Lambert portrayed Raiden much more than they did in the second film. He was cooler and loved his dry wit. I cracked up every time he would make a joke and then apologize for offending someone. I also loved Ashby as Cage. Cocky asshole actor...you can see why I love the guy lol. Were there problems? Of course. Goro wasn't the best looking. No real reason is given why Kitana can't just come out and say she wants to help other than the filmmakers wanted some kind of suspense. And besides beating Kano, Sonya is basically a nonfactor. But even with all that, I still give it an A. I'm biased though lol.

And since everyone is doing the sequel as well, I will take a crack at it. Annihilation was nowhere near the quality of the original. It was too packed to be good. The creators were trying too hard to get all the characters into the movie instead of focusing on the important ones. Hell, they even threw in name drops of Kabal and Stryker but never showed them because there were so many. This sucked because there was no chance of learning any of the awesome back stories, like the fact that Ermac is an embodiment of souls brought into one body. And the deaths come too quickly and easily. Chris already showed all of that. The one I won't complain about is Sheeva. Fucking Goro wanna be lol. Plus, Nightwolf, who supposedly is so important Raiden specifically names him for Kang, is only in one scene. Fucking Jade gets more screen time. If they didn't try to do so much, it would've been much better. Sure, it was cool to see all the names they dropped. Other than that, it was lackluster.