• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
With the release of The Dark Knight Rises, the total output of Batman films (not including the animated ones) now stands at 8. In the interest of inspiring some discussion that's not necessarily related to the newest film, how would you rank the films featuring everyone's favourite orphaned vigilante?

I'll go first....

1. Batman (1989) - Michael Keaton is still the best Batman and Tim Burton's film still stands tall above all the rest.

2. Batman Returns - An excellent sequel with an even darker tone than the first Burton film.

3. Batman (1966) - Perfect camp entertainment and a wonderful snapshot of the 1960's.

4. Batman Begins - Christopher Nolan's best contribution to the Batman mythology, its a very well done reboot even if it has some issues.

5. The Dark Knight - Overrated like crazy, but Ledger's performance is more than enough to recommend watching it.

6. The Dark Knight Rises - Overly long and poorly paced, but it does cap off Nolan's trilogy properly.

7. Batman Forever - Not much to write home about here, but I do like Val Kilmer's portrayal of Bruce Wayne.

8. Batman and Robin - Rubber nipples. Not much else to say here.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
With the release of The Dark Knight Rises, the total output of Batman films (not including the animated ones) now stands at 8. In the interest of inspiring some discussion that's not necessarily related to the newest film, how would you rank the films featuring everyone's favourite orphaned vigilante?

I'll go first....

1. Batman (1989) - Michael Keaton is still the best Batman and Tim Burton's film still stands tall above all the rest.

2. Batman Returns - An excellent sequel with an even darker tone than the first Burton film.

3. Batman (1966) - Perfect camp entertainment and a wonderful snapshot of the 1960's.

4. Batman Begins - Christopher Nolan's best contribution to the Batman mythology, its a very well done reboot even if it has some issues.

5. The Dark Knight - Overrated like crazy, but Ledger's performance is more than enough to recommend watching it.

6. The Dark Knight Rises - Overly long and poorly paced, but it does cap off Nolan's trilogy properly.

7. Batman Forever - Not much to write home about here, but I do like Val Kilmer's portrayal of Bruce Wayne.

8. Batman and Robin - Rubber nipples. Not much else to say here.
You and are in total agreement that Burton (and Michael Keaton) owned the Batman franchise.

However where we differ is on Nolan. I feel he actually got better slightly as the films went on. Dark Knight Rises was the only one in the series I'd say I even liked. Batman Begins though I haven't bothered to see since 2005, loathed that film.

I decided after seeing TDKR that I was going to watch all of the Batman films so after I do so I can properly list them.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
You and are in total agreement that Burton (and Michael Keaton) owned the Batman franchise.

However where we differ is on Nolan. I feel he actually got better slightly as the films went on. Dark Knight Rises was the only one in the series I'd say I even liked. Batman Begins though I haven't bothered to see since 2005, loathed that film.

I decided after seeing TDKR that I was going to watch all of the Batman films so after I do so I can properly list them.

To me, Burton captured the perfect balance of comic book entertainment while staying true to Batman's darker roots. Nolan only ever seemed to be interested in exploring the darkness of the character.

As far as Nolan's trilogy goes, I think I just got more overall enjoyment out of Begins than the others and felt he got progressively more self-indulgent as the series went on. I also feel The Dark Knight Rises is way too big for its britches while still being a good example of a spectacle. Plus, its difficult for me to even classify it as a Batman film when the character himself is in it for less than a third of the entire film.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I hate Tim Burton but his first Batman was awesome and Keaton and Nicholson were both amazing, but the Adam West holds a special place in my heart

1. Adam West Batman

2. Keaton Batman

3. Dark Knight

4. Batman Begins

5. Batman Forever (I actually really liked this movie and thought Jim Carrey was great)

6. Batman Returns (just never liked it)

7. Batman & Robin (I love Clooney but fuck did this suck eggs)

havent seen the new one yet so I will place it when I get a chance

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
5. Batman Forever (I actually really liked this movie and thought Jim Carrey was great)

I liked Carey, but as the Adam West Batman holds a special place in your heart, so does Frank Gorshin's portrayal of The Riddler in mine. There's just no topping his version of that character. I've been toying with the idea of reviewing the first season of the 1966 show since I just downloaded them all.

Bad News Booty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I think that would be epic as fuck and I am sure I remember enough about them to give my two cents

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I think that would be epic as fuck and I am sure I remember enough about them to give my two cents

Cool. I think I'll do them like I've been doing some of my more recent reviews, from a more recap/comedy standpoint. There's more than enough material and after watching the first two episodes (a Riddler story) I just remembered how much I love the show and everything it represents.

Bad News Booty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
it's from a much simpler and happier time....like honestly everything has to be so dark and serious and real these days....nothing like that anymore

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
it's from a much simpler and happier time....like honestly everything has to be so dark and serious and real these days....nothing like that anymore

Yet another reason why I thought The Avengers was so good. It remembered to have a lot of fun with the subject matter while still being true to the characters.

Bad News Booty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I honestly love that movie....it's everything a comic book movie should be imo and damn it gave me chills to see them all together

Eddie North

Reaction score
1. Dark Knight- I'm a huge Joker mark and I loved Ledgers portrayal
2. Batman (Keaton)- Again huge Joker fan and Nicholson didn't play a bad role as him either. Keaton was also phenomenal and the story was told perfectly.
3. Batman Returns- Great follow up to the first.
4. Batman Begins- A great reboot but a bit too much back Story. Where Burton/Keaton version just told you enough, this one went in deep to show his becoming and not as much of actual batman. Also prefer the Bale Batman voice in this one the most out of the newer films.
5. Dark Knight Rises- Was good, but just didn't do it for me, Batman Begins edges it out and it doesn't compete with Dark Knight.
6. Batman Forever- I actually enjoyed this movie for what it was as well. Tommy Lee and Jim Carey played their characters well and liked Val but compared to the others it just doesn't compete.
7. Batman and Robin- Other than the rubber nipples and Arnold's abomination of Mr. Freeze the story wasn't horrible but fuck Joel Shoemocker (sp?) in the ass for this abomination of rubber nipples and Arnold cluster fuck.

Never really watched the Adam west one so can't rate it.

Citan

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
1. Dark Knight - Just about everything is good here: The acting, the script, the villains, directing, action scenes. Fight scenes have dractiscally improved since its predecessor. Batman's voice is still as laughable as ever, but Bale still does a fine job. Joker steals the show (though Eckard's Two Face tries really hard«): All of his scenes were fantastic.

2. Batman Begins (2005) : One of the best reboots ever made. My wish is that Scarecrow was the main villain of the film instead of Ras Al Ghul's pawn. Cillian Murphy was freakin good as Dr Crane.

3. Batman (1989): I find this film to be a tiny bit overrated. That doesn't mean I don't like it. It's a technically well made film, but I just enjoyed Nolan's Batman films better. Keaton was an excellent Batman though, and the soundtrack is the best of any film in the series. Fantastic job by Danny Elfman. The cinematography here is just incredible.

4. Dark Knight Rises (2012): A bit uneven, but still really good. The finished film could have used some serious editing though: First half feels a bit slow, while the second flies by. Also, not a fan of the whole oprhanage subplot and the Wayne Manor becoming the new orphanage. As always, the acting is great: Anne Hattaway as catwoman is in my opinion the definitive catwoman. Bane was a vast improvement over his B&R appearance. I loved the scene where Batman does Rise, and the final 30 minutes are quite awesome. But, what happened to Alfred? Did most of his scenes end up on the cutting floor or something?

5. Batman Returns (1992): I have mixed feelings about this one: Again, Burton's directing is fantatic, but I find this one a lot less engaging than its predecessor. The film feels like a series of gothic imagery and bizarre scenes rather than a two hour film. It's definitely a good film, but just an unpleasant experience. If it makes any sense...

6. Batman Forever (1995): Well this one is fairly decent I guess. Kilmer was interesting Batman, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him for more sequels. Robin's origin story is well told I thought, but in the end he doesn't contribute much to the film other than saving Batman once, and Batman actually had to save his arse twice in the third act. Nicole Kidman's character (Chase Meridian) was ok, she didn't have anything interesting to say or do other than hitting on Batman. The focus really is on the villains here. It's the Jim Carrey show. He doesn't even try to put a good performance. All he does is playing himself. He laughs all the time. Not that Tommy Lee Jones as Two face was any better. But Tommy Lee Jones certainly is a capable actor. With the right script and a competent director, he could have been a terrific Two face.

7) Batman & Robin: Do I even need to comment on this?

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Batman (1989) - Just a great movie that lived up to the hype that I remember it having. I can still watch it now and enjoy it.

Batman Returns - A very good sequel. Had Michelle Pfeiffer in leather and that almost made it number one for me. But the whole movie was great.

The Dark Knight - Although it is a tad overrated by the fan boys, I still find I can put it in and enjoy it. Heath Ledgers performance as Joker probably has a lot to do with it.

Batman Begins - Only slightly below TDK. I had some problems with the pacing of it, but it was still a great first effort by Nolan.

Batman Forever - Decent, but very commercial. Val Kilmer was decent as Batman.

The Dark Knight Rises - Just didn't enjoy it that much. Very long winded. It seemed to me that Nolan phoned this one in. I did enjoy Bane and Catwoman though.

Batman and Robin - To many stars and no direction. This was a cookie cutter summer blockbuster that just didn't work. The hype machine suckered everyone into going on opening weekend. Suit nipples? Really?

Batman (1966) - It would be hard for me to rate this. It has been way to long since I have seen it. At least 20+ years.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Batman Returns - I liked the darkness of the movie. It explored deep into your mind. And I think Danny Devito did the best job of playing his character than any villain of any batman movie ever.

Batman (1989) - a great start to the series. Nicholson played his character perfectly and so did Keaton. And finally we find out how Joker became Joker.

The Dark Knight - the best movie of Nolan's series. Every scene had a purpose and tying in Joker and Dent was smart.

Batman Forever - Not a bad plot and Jim Carrey was amazing as Riddler. We were introduced to Dick Grayson properly and it was fun seeing him evolve into Robin. It had some flaws but a good movie.

The Dark Knight Rises - I liked this movie. I thought it had some great scenes. But sometimes the story was hard to comprehend and Bane was impossible to understand. But I really did like this movie for what it was. It really didn't provide closure though.

Batman Begins - An ok reboot. I just never really got into the movie. I watched it years ago and couldn't get into it then I watched it yesterday with the same result. But Dr Crane was well played.

Batman (1966) - this movie just wasn't good. I know it was 1966 but the movie was pretty dumb. It was cute but it just wasn't good.

Batman and Robin - you've got to be kidding me right?