Randy Orton - Thoughts?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Matthew

Reaction score
I guess my problem with Randy right now is that I don't have an opinion on him. I really just think he isn't young enough to be apart of the new generation (Punk, Bryan, etc) but not old enough to be apart of the older generation. I think he is in the middle of his career and needs a post. It happens to all the guys out there. Jericho did it by going to the WWE. Not sure how people should do it in this climate.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Personally I became a really big fan when he got drafted to SmackDown even though he did some really good stuff with Punk prior to that. I thought his stuff with Christian was top quality with great matches and made Christian look a star and every bit his equal, likewise his shortish program with Cody and his current stuff with Wade.

Also, I don't mind his character at all and don't find it one bit stale. I like how he has still remained unpredictable and a badass even though he's a face and I love that from time to time he has little breakout face moments like when he did his little skip before his RKO on Henry and then followed it up with a starjump. Even the stuff he did on the holiday edition of SmackDown in his street fight Otunga with the cookie tasting and his laughs after throwing the present at him.

Could his mic work be better? Sure. Are his promos somewhat robotic? Sure, but as luck would have it, it fits with his character perfectly as it would be totally out of place if he was all bright and bubbly like a Cena or Punk.

Epic video for the lols

[video=youtube;lAUr61eoboI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAUr61eoboI[/video]

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I guess my problem with Randy right now is that I don't have an opinion on him. I really just think he isn't young enough to be apart of the new generation (Punk, Bryan, etc) but not old enough to be apart of the older generation. I think he is in the middle of his career and needs a post. It happens to all the guys out there. Jericho did it by going to the WWE. Not sure how people should do it in this climate.
Actually funny enough he's only 31 therefore a few years younger than Punk and only a year older than Bryan. Orton has just been in the WWE longer than them so it seems like he's been around forever. Orton is pretty much the now generation with Cena and Punk (who just pretty much got there)

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Here is the thing about Randy. He has a natural gift inside of that ring. He has that "it" factor that almost no matter what he does... he will draw attention to himself inside of that ring. He has the perfect look. Not too bulky but not too slim. He's built just right, lean, everything that you could want in the perfect wrestling body... look at Orton. He has speed and can keep a good pace in the ring. He can slow it down when needs be. He can take to the air and it would look just right. He can keep it on the ground and not look out of place. Randy Orton is a rare breed, an extremely rare breed of wrestler.

His range of emotions was bland at first but after obtaining the Viper persona at first... he had it mastered. He could just slowly turn towards you and just stare and it worked. It worked cause in a blink of an eye he would leave his feet and connect with an RKO and it'd be like... wow. But the thing in wrestling is... it is easier to be a heel than it is to be a face. He was able to really get noticed as a heel but they pushed the face Orton far too quickly and it flopped badly. Now he is doing the face thing and it hasn't completely connected but it is still starting to get there.

The thing with Orton... he just has to evolve the character more. It isn't that he is stale cause he still can put on performance of the night, performance of the month, even performance of the year when the match is right. The problem is his actions. The Viper persona is so attached to him, this whole Apex Predator thing is still super glued to him that he pretty much has to find a way to turn that into a positive character. Kinda like how Triple H had to change the Cerebral Assassin into a face gimmick. He had a sledge hammer and so that helped. Orton doesn't have a prop that is "his" and so he has to be identified by what he does in the ring and how he does it.

He doesn't have to smile more, kiss up, or anything like that. he just needs a ... lighter persona... I think is how I'd put it. Like right now his character is looking to become face but it still has so much heel attachments to it that it is weighing it down which is why the mic work is still a lil slow. He could talk normally, he could make his entrance a lil quicker. He can do the little things just right but he has to evolve those little things to fit his current character.

But yeah I'm definitely a fan of Orton. He is definitely the total package. Just needs some tweaking to evolve the character into the face that he is looking to be.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have no issue with Orton's wrestling ability. I think that he can go in the ring and he has had some excellent matches, I especially enjoyed his work with Christian.

My issue is that he is so bland and he just doesn't work as a face. Yes he gets cheered but he just has no warmth to his persona at all and he just can't figure out how to play a face. His whole look and persona works perfectly as a heel since he is always so cold but I just don't know why he remains a face. Somehow faces cheer him but I would still keep him as a heel and not change his character at all because he works so much better as a heel. His mic work is pretty bad and again it works better as a heel since he can purposefully be robotic and speak ridiculously slowly.

I like that he has been working against some up and comers this year but I just wish a couple of PPV results between him and Rhodes/Barrett went a different way to really complete that push.