Random Chat Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Franco

Reaction score
It almost feels like Barrett has a new theme (or a new remix) every month. And all of the songs he used were terribly bland, other than the Nexus theme.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
For other wrestling news? I just watch the product and come up with my own opinions. I then come on here and usually dirtsheet shit is posted(most of it untrue but too many people still treat it like the gospel). If you want credited articles by professionals good luck outside of folks like Dave Meltzer and guys like Scott Keith. As for this site if Cerbs(We Are Legion) keeps posting stuff I'd look to that he seems to have a good basis to what most of this site agrees with. I'd give Big Red a nod if I even believed half the shit he writes.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
It almost feels like Barrett has a new theme (or a new remix) every month. And all of the songs he used were terribly bland, other than the Nexus theme.

End of Days was awesome IMO.

If you want credited articles by professionals good luck outside of folks like Dave Meltzer and guys like Scott Keith.

icon14.png

I knew Meltzer's site was paid, with these paid subscriptions the longer term deals are always more viable.

Last edited:

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Fuck Bleacher, that place is full of biased writers.

Agreed for the most part. If you're at all into MMA, Jack Slack writes there now and that guy is the man when it comes to striking breakdowns.

I don't blame Barrett's music for him not being over that is just asinine. You'd think someone would use their brain to decide whether or not they like someone.

It does seem asinine but let me ask you. What do you know about Pavlovian conditioning?

Basically what it is simple, repeated exposure to a particular stimulus designed to elicit a specific reaction.

Pro wrestling entrance music is a classic example of this. NotReallyaGoodUN's list is a great starting example but to give a bit of a better example look at Brodus Clay and now Tensai. Two guys who should not ever be getting over with that ridiculous gimmick (similar to Too Cool before them) but add in "Somebody Call My Momma" and you have something silly and catchy enough to draw in even the most cynical wrestling fan.

Another good example would be the Brood. They were a weird, mid-card stable that jobbed out pretty frequently. None of that mattered though because once they played the entrance music and they began their entrance, they got pops.

Barrett has been one of the most unlucky guys ever in regards to entrance music. He's a guy who has a decent look and isn't a bad wrestler (though he hasn't had his breakout in-ring moment) but all of his entrance themes have been so generic that the only thing his entrance elicits is apathy.

Give the guy something a little more dynamic and memorable and he'll start getting better reactions. I guarantee it.

Oh? Any other recommendations for Pro Wrestling news? Seems like I've gotten back into wrestling again as one of my main hobbies.

Cageside Seats, for Pro Wrestling and MMA fans isn't bad. I generally find the site's managing editor to be a giant cock knocker but there's a guy named Keith Harris on there who has some great stuff.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
It does seem asinine but let me ask you. What do you know about Pavlovian conditioning?

Basically what it is simple, repeated exposure to a particular stimulus designed to elicit a specific reaction.

Pro wrestling entrance music is a classic example of this. NotReallyaGoodUN's list is a great starting example but to give a bit of a better example look at Brodus Clay and now Tensai. Two guys who should not ever be getting over with that ridiculous gimmick (similar to Too Cool before them) but add in "Somebody Call My Momma" and you have something silly and catchy enough to draw in even the most cynical wrestling fan.

Another good example would be the Brood. They were a weird, mid-card stable that jobbed out pretty frequently. None of that mattered though because once they played the entrance music and they began their entrance, they got pops.

Barrett has been one of the most unlucky guys ever in regards to entrance music. He's a guy who has a decent look and isn't a bad wrestler (though he hasn't had his breakout in-ring moment) but all of his entrance themes have been so generic that the only thing his entrance elicits is apathy.

Give the guy something a little more dynamic and memorable and he'll start getting better reactions. I guarantee it.

I quite like your argument here so I actually bothered quoting it. It's just so many people that watch wrestling don't think this deeply so it's hard to take someone seriously that needs something that catchy to get behind someone. People should come up with rational decisions to why they cheer or boo someone. If they are just reacting to music, they aren't reacting to the overall character. I know Taker, Austin and Rock for example wouldn't need to ever rely on music to get over.

That is like thinking WWE had to attach "Ride of the Valkyries" to Daniel Bryan to help him get a reaction. His Yes/No shit did more anyways but I think people just need to smarten up and get some real thoughts and opinions in there heads. This is why I don't take ratings or buyrates seriously because most of the extra people watching are casual and are probably the same ones that only react to entrances when they hear a familiar song.

If they aren't going to take the time to get to know the superstars, I'm just not going to take their fandom as something serous.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I quite like your argument here so I actually bothered quoting it. It's just so many people that watch wrestling don't think this deeply so it's hard to take someone seriously that needs something that catchy to get behind someone. People should come up with rational decisions to why they cheer or boo someone. If they are just reacting to music, they aren't reacting to the overall character. I know Taker, Austin and Rock for example wouldn't need to ever rely on music to get over.

Thank you.

You don't necessarily need catchy music to get over but one of Barrett's big problems is that he doesn't have anything that really sets him apart from anybody else. Like I said, he hasn't had a break out in ring performance yet, and while he's not bad on the mic he doesn't really deliver memorable promos either.

That is like thinking WWE had to attach "Ride of the Valkyries" to Daniel Bryan to help him get a reaction. His Yes/No shit did more anyways but I think people just need to smarten up and get some real thoughts and opinions in there heads. This is why I don't take ratings or buyrates seriously because most of the extra people watching are casual and are probably the same ones that only react to entrances when they hear a familiar song.

Pavlovian conditioning isn't about thought. It's specifically about getting somebody to do something without thinking.

Personal anecdote: I like to think of myself as a pretty reserved, mild mannered person. When Undertaker's gong hit at the beginning on Old School Raw I was automatically super psyched.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
You bring up a break-out in-ring performance part but from what I see generally from WWE fans even if someone constantly puts on classics they just don't care anymore. So you need a lot more to break out now. As far I'm concerned WWE fans should still be riding high after Bryan/Punk from OTL last year but that gets overshadowed my a Main Event I refused to watch. It's also not even brought up by many as a stand out moment for Punk's run when it damn well should be.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
[video=youtube;aLgMw635y40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLgMw635y40[/video]

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Few reports are saying that WWE is planning on bringing back Kelly Kelly and Maryse as well.

Hope it's true for obvious reasons. Maryse should be in the WWE anyway, given she's married (engaged?) to Miz and everything.

Franco

Reaction score
Recreating the Divas roster from 2011? Seems like a good move if true.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
They should bring back Eve and Beth as well while they're at it.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
You bring up a break-out in-ring performance part but from what I see generally from WWE fans even if someone constantly puts on classics they just don't care anymore. So you need a lot more to break out now. As far I'm concerned WWE fans should still be riding high after Bryan/Punk from OTL last year but that gets overshadowed my a Main Event I refused to watch. It's also not even brought up by many as a stand out moment for Punk's run when it damn well should be.

I absolutely agree. A great match isn't necessarily enough anymore. A break out in ring performance is more than just having a great match.

You brought up CM Punk and he's a great example of this. Punk was a guy who was always great in the ring and gave great promos but was habitually under appreciated.

It wasn't until he gave his promo on Cena that he had his breakout moment on the mic and then it was his match with Cena at MITB that I would consider to be his break out in ring performance because not only was it a great match, it was very memorable. Everything since then has just been icing on the cake.

Now, that's not to say you need both to become a huge star but you need at least one of the two and a guy like Barrett has had neither though he certainly could have at this point.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I wouldn't classify myself as a "fan" of either, and I don't have anything against these two either, but for some reason I always took Barrett more seriously than Swagger. (i.e. Swagger used to be a goofball before his new gimmick and Barrett was always a serious face type guy.)