Quadrant 1 Final

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Better World Champ?

• John Cena

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • CM Punk

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
John Cena
John_Cena_4519e1594dded.jpg

John Cena won the WWE Title from JBL on April 3rd 2005 at Wrestlemania. He lost the title to Edge on January 8th 2006 at New Year’s Revolution. He won it back on January 29th 2006 at Royal Rumble. He lost the title to Rob Van Dam on June 11th 2006 at One Night Stand in an Extreme Rules Match. He won his third title from Edge on September 17th 2006 at Unforgiven in a TLC match. He vacated the title due to injury on the October 2nd 2007 ECW. He won his first World Title from Chris Jericho on November 23rd 2008 at Survivor Series. He lost the World Title to Edge on February 15th 2009 at No Way Out in an Elimination Chamber match also involving Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Mike Knox, and Kane. He won his second World Title from Edge on April 5th 2009 at Wrestlemania in a Triple Threat Match also involving The Big Show. He lost the title back to Edge on April 26th 2009 at Backlash in a Last Man Standing Match. He won his fourth WWE title from Randy Orton on September 13th 2009 at Breaking Point in an I Quit Match. He lost the title back on October 4th 2009 at Hell in a Cell in a Hell in a Cell Match. He won it back on October 25th 2009 at Bragging Rights on a 60 Minute Anything Goes Iron Man Match. He lost the title to Sheamus on December 13th 2009 at TLC in a Tables Match. He won it back on February 21st 2010 at Elimination Chamber in an Elimination Chamber match also involving Triple H, Randy Orton, Ted DiBiase and Kofi Kingston. He lost the title to Batista immediately afterword. He won the title back on Match 28th 2010 at Wrestlemania. He lost the title to Sheamus on June 20th 2010 at Fatal 4-Way in a match also involving Edge and Randy Orton. He won his 8th title from The Miz on May 1st 2011 at Extreme Rules in a Triple Threat Steel Cage Matrch also involving John Morrison. He lost the title to CM Punk on July 17th 2011 at Money in The Bank. He won his 9th WWE title from Rey Mysterio on the july 25th 2011 Raw making him a co-champion with Punk. He lost the title to Punk in a unification match on August 14th 2011 at Money in The Bank. He won his 10th WWE title from Alberto Del Rio on September 18th 2011 at Night of Champions. He lost the title back on October 2nd 2011 at Hell in a Cell in a triple threat Hell in a Cell Match also involving CM Punk.

CM Punk
punk2.jpg

CM Punk won the ROH title from Austin Aries on June 15th 2005 at Death Before Dishonor. He lost the title to James Gibson in a four way match also involving Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe at Redemption. He won the ECW title from John Morrison on the September 4th 2007 ECW. He lost the title to Chavo Guerrero in a NO DQ Match on the January 22nd 2008 ECW. He won the World Title from Edge on the June 30th 2008 Raw. He vacated the title due to a storyline injury on September 7th 2008 at Unforgiven. He won his second World Title from Jeff Hardy on June 7th 2009 at Extreme Rules. He lost the title to Hardy on July 26th 2009 at Night of Champions. He won it back on August 23rd 2009 at Summerslam in a TLC match. He lost the title to the Undertaker on October 4th 2009 at Hell in a Cell in a Hell in a Cell Match. He won the WWE title from John Cena on July 17th 2011 at Money in the Bank. He lost the title to Alberto Del Rio on August 14th at Summerslam.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
As much as I love CM Punk, Cena's a better Champion.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
My vote went to CM Punk for the fact that all of Punk's title reigns actually have meant something while Cena has held the title....basically to hold the title. Punk makes it more meaningful in the eyes of most fans I believe so that's why I think he is the better champion.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Cena wins as better champion.

TheZig

Reaction score
I have to be honest and go for Cena, Has i've stated before he has defined this current era as the top of the food chain.

Deuce

Reaction score
Cena has my vote, way better champ but I am a huge fan of Punk.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Hate to go against my boy Punk but I'd be pretty Blue to try and say Punk has been a better world champion than John Cena.

Lewb

Reaction score
Really? Is it that one sided? Punk has given the Money in the bank the illustrious name its got by getting world titles from it. His second reign was incredible, especially the bits against Jeff Hardy, and then Money in the Bank was the biggest championship win in the last few years. Sorry, but for what it's meant, and considering Cena has had so many pointless runs as champion, I'm going with Punk.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
It's all Cena here. Punk doesn't even have a reign like Cena did in 2007 or 10 titles for that matter.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But surely Cena having ten titles to his name is a bad thing! Anyway Cena should have been out of this a long time ago, Punk all the way, I have nothing else to say.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Really? Is it that one sided? Punk has given the Money in the bank the illustrious name its got by getting world titles from it. His second reign was incredible, especially the bits against Jeff Hardy, and then Money in the Bank was the biggest championship win in the last few years. Sorry, but for what it's meant, and considering Cena has had so many pointless runs as champion, I'm going with Punk.

I have to disagree. It was Edge that gave it the name. After he first won it and he first cashed it in after Cena went through an Elimination Chamber... that was priceless and that was the beginning of the Money in the Bank being used for opportune times. Edge defined it. Punk only polished it and made it look nice.

But surely Cena having ten titles to his name is a bad thing! Anyway Cena should have been out of this a long time ago, Punk all the way, I have nothing else to say.

Some of Cena's reigns were dumb but overall... Cena has proven to be the definition of a champion. For him to be this far along is a testament to that. He's not the most talented wrestler but he is one of the hardest workers in that ring night in and night out. And compared to Punk... Cena's reigns are just good. Punk has had okay reigns but nothing really stands out. Just maybe a match or two but thats all.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A match or two? Are you not a Punk fan? What CM Punk matches have you been watching? I don't think this Tournment's results have that much baring, it just shows that a lot of modern wrestling fans are suckers for WWE marketing.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm talking about as champion he did. I can't count his ROH reigns since I never saw them. But I saw his ECW and WWE reigns. His overall career he has had a lot of good matches. But matches when he was champion in WWE... not so much.

Zen

Reaction score
Cena gets this one, easily without a doubt. For the most part, Punk hasn't had any significant title runs, thus far. Each run has really been as a test run or a transitional champion. Until his latest title run, where the WWE has started to treat him seriously as a big time player -- so it could be said that is his first real big time reign. The only problem, despite WWE hype, he hasn't really done much, he has just had one good match. Similarly, in his previous runs, you can find one solid match here and there(Punk/Hardy SS 09) but for the most part its been lacking. A few good matches, is not what makes a great Champion. He really can't compare with Cena's 07 run which was just fantastic -- his best to date. As well as several other solid reigns, in addition to some unnecessary reigns. I accept the argument that some of Cena's reigns have been lacking and were kind of put on unnecessarily. However, the very fact that WWE went to him, is simply indicative of the fact WWE that Cena proved himself to be a very reliable Champ and the WWE kept going back to him as the fall back guy in tough times.

Really though, this poll is pretty straight forward. Even if one is the biggest CM Punk mark in the world(and hey, I happen to like him very much) there is not a single objective reason for why Punk should get even a single vote. Sorry, but preferences do not count. Whether you love him or not is irrelevant, his performance as a Champion is a very serious and objective question, and there IS a right and wrong answer. I will give you a hint: it(the right answer) bears no resemblance to the anagram "PM CUNK".

I mean if CM Punk has one outstanding match(the MITB match, with Cena of all people) and one good match(the Ladder match) as Champion, then Cena has dozens of 30 min-60 min classics with people like Umaga, HBK, Randy Orton(I am talking about the absolute best of his matches)If Punk had one exceptional program with belt(the MITB storyline), then Cena again has had a dozen. If Punk has headlined one MSG as Champ, Cena has headlined several, including WMs and other PPVs. If Punk has sold out one big venue, Cena has sold out probably a hundred by this point. No matter what factor you want to examine, Cena wins it hands down. I hate to sound like a broken record, and I really don't have much time at the moment, but the answer is pretty straight forward, only the most smarky hacks will maintain otherwise.

Last edited: