PWG: Failure To Communicate

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Castiel

Reaction score
Pope Valley, CA - Coming out of the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles there was a totally new hierarchy of power in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com). After all, World Champion "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen was defeated in the opening round of the tournament by Ricochet in a non-title match, who in turn lost in the semi-final round to "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin. Unfortunately for Elgin, he was ultimately bested by the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles winner, the "Panama City Playboy," Adam Cole. Immediately after winning this year's tournament, Cole made his intentions of winning the Pro Wresting Guerrilla World Championship title abundantly clear. However, Cole also made it clear that he would be winning the World Championship on his own terms, on his own timeline.

Rather than writing any more about it, we will let the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles winner Adam Cole speak for himself:

[video=youtube;38X1ps6VEl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38X1ps6VEl0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Along with Adam Cole's refusal to accept his title shot or even appear at Failure to Communicate, World Tag Team Champions Player Uno and Stupefied, the Super Smash Brothers, have a previous engagement and will be unable to appear on October 27. The champs will be back in action at Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's final event of the year in December.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Failure to Communicate takes place Saturday, October 27, 2012, at 8:00PM at American Legion Post #308. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $35, and General Admission tickets are $25. Tickets for Failure to Communicate will go on sale Thursday, September 20, at 8:00PM PDT.

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Three-Way Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen (Champion) vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Ricochet

-- With Adam Cole taking himself out of the picture at Failure to Communicate, the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors were forced to look elsewhere for Kevin Steen's next challenger. After the first round of the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles, it was very easy to peg Ricochet as the number one contender for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship. But with Ricochet's elimination from the tournament, that also puts Michael Elgin's name into the number one contender conversation. Does the man who directly beat the World Champion receive the title shot, or does the man who beat the man who beat the man get named top contender? Rather than attempt to unravel this convoluted web, the Board decided to give both Michael Elgin and Ricochet a chance to dethrone "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen on October 27.

As if having to worry about facing two other world-class competitors, whichever man leaves Failure to Communicate as Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion will also be forced to confront (and endure the mind games of) the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles winner, the "Panama City Playboy" Adam Cole. Will the challenge waiting on the horizon unnerve the competitors, or will they be able to remain focused on the task at hand and devote all of their concentration to winning the World Championship?

Tag Team Match
Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

-- After the Super Smash Brothers were crowned the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions at Death to All But Metal, Player Uno and Stupefied put the titles on the line against Future Shock (Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly) and the former champions, The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson), in one of the most talked-about matches of the year, a three-way ladder match for the titles at Threemendous III. Since Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's ninth anniversary event in July, the majority of the focus within the company has been on singles matches, due entirely to the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles. That is not the say that the World Tag Team Championship is any less important; on the contrary, the tag titles have been the source of much discussion, mainly due to the lack of a clear set of number one contenders.

The Young Bucks, two men who are defined by their enormous success as tag team wrestlers, immediately began angling for a shot at the world titles. The Jacksons claimed that because their match with Super Smash Brothers at Threemendous III was a three-way match, it was not a true rematch, and therefore they deserved another chance to dethrone the new champions. The Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors were unconvinced, and agreed that while impressive, the Bucks' previous tag team achievements do not necessarily warrant unlimited title shots. Therefore, like all other tag teams in this post-Death to All But Metal world, the Bucks will have to prove their worth.

Two men familiar with putting in work and proving themselves are Roderick Strong and Eddie Edwards. After both were eliminated in the quarter-final round of the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles, the pair, having previously teamed together in Pro Wrestling NOAH, decided to reunite and try their luck at the World Tag Team Championship titles. Roderick is a multiple-time Tag Team Champion in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, and while Eddie Edwards has not reached the top of the mountain in PWG, his success elsewhere makes him a very serious threat for anyone unlucky enough to be standing across the ring from him.

Edwards and Strong know that they're starting off near the bottom of the tag team food chain, but a win over the former champions would certainly propel them up the ladder. However, The Young Bucks are not known as the most dominant tag team Pro Wrestling Guerrilla has ever seen because they're push overs. Sure, they can talk the talk, but they can walk the walk, as well. Have the Bucks lost a step, along with losing the titles, or was their defeats at the hands of the Super Smash Brothers just momentary set backs?

Singles Grudge Match
Brian Cage vs. Willie Mack

-- When Brian Cage challenged "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship, he had no one to blame but himself (well, ostensibly Kevin Steen, too) for coming up short. When Willie Mack challenged Steen for the title at Threemendous III, Willie Mack could not only blame himself (and ostensibly Kevin Steen), but Brian Cage, as well. After Senior Official Rick Knox was incapacitated during Willie and Steen's match, Cage hit the ring and decked both champion and challenger alike. While it is unknown how much of an effect this had on the outcome of the match, Cage's interference undoubtedly put an Asterix next to Willie Mack's first-ever Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship title shot.

Fast forward to the 2012 Battle of Los Angeles, where Brian Cage once again interjected himself into Kevin Steen's match, though this time the interference backfired, with Cage finding himself on the receiving end of a package piledriver. To most rational men, this would be the end of things. You tried to jump a guy, but he got the better things and dropped you on your head. However, Cage was unsatisfied and continued to run his mouth by not only calling Steen a coward for refusing to accept Cage's challenge, but Willie Mack as well, naming him an unworthy challenger to the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship.

Having seen and heard enough, Willie Mack approached the Board of Directors and asked that he be granted a match with Brian Cage. Not a number one contender match, not even a number two contender match, but a match where Willie Mack can get his hands on Brian Cage, and kick his cheating ass. The Board, always happy to see a grudge match take place (typically because it results in a lot of spilled, and subsequently purchased, beer), obliged, and therefore on October 27 at Failure to Communicate, Brian Cage will take on Willie Mack, one-on-one!

Singles Match
Sami Callihan vs. Davey Richards

Singles Match
El Generico vs. Rich Swann

Tag Team Match
B-Boy & Famous B vs. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Singles Match
Joey Ryan vs. Ryan Taylor

I love that Cole isn't face Steen just yet. It's an actual angle, let's hold onto it! Last show of the year is perfect for the big match. Cage/Willie makes since and should be cool. The debut of Rich Swann should be interesting. RockNES against B-Boy and Famous B as well as no tag champs is disappointing... but that's not to say I don't love Bucks vs Roddy/Eddie, that's a fresh and awesome sounding tag match!

Last edited by a moderator:

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Once I'm done with the CHIKARA shows I've ordered, I wanna get some PWG. Recommend me 3 recent shows.

The Viper

Reaction score
Once I'm done with the CHIKARA shows I've ordered, I wanna get some PWG. Recommend me 3 recent shows.

FEAR, Steen Wolf and Threemendous III. IMO, those are the 3 best PWG shows I have seen thus far. Especially Steen Wolf.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Fear has the Dragon/Steen vs. Young Bucks match, right?

Postman Dave

Reaction score
looking at the match listings, these definitely look like the shows to have!

Do PWG do all the orders and shipping themselves or is there anywhere else that sells them?

Castiel

Reaction score
Though my copy of Threemendous 3 hasn't arrived yet I'd say that's the best for recent suggestions. Unless you want to get both nights of BOLA but they're only on pre-order right now and there's 2 of them... heck, I'm sure you could get away with just night 2 really. Death To All But Metal and World's Finest are both just "good" not great. DDT4 would be great if you want some sweet tag action.

Castiel

Reaction score
So I guess I'll throw this in here since this is our monthly PWG thread. The long awaited PWG SELLS OUT 3 is finally on it's way! If you're looking to get into the ever so awesome company this is the way to do it.

Disc One
Are You Adequately Prepared to Rock? - October 4, 2003
1. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. B-Boy & Super Dragon

Zombies Shouldn't Run - August 6, 2005
2. Quicksilver vs. Super Dragon

2006 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 2 - September 2, 2006
3. Arrogance ("Photogenic" Chris Bosh & Scott Lost) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. B-Boy & Homicide

All Star Weekend V - Night 1 - August 27, 2007
4. El Generico vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

2007 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 2, 2007
5. Claudio Castagnoli vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

European Vacation II: Germany - October 28, 2007
6. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. El Generico

Life During Wartime - July 6, 2008
7. The Dynasty (Scott Lost & Joey Ryan) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. KAZMA & MIYAWAKI

Express Written Consent - February 21, 2009
8. Paul London & The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Dynasty International (Karl Anderson, Scott Lost, & Joey Ryan)

Disc 2
DDT4 (2009) - May 22, 2009
1. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson & Roderick Strong vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Threemendous II - July 31, 2009
2. Davey Richards vs. Roderick Strong

Speed of Sound - August 28, 2009
3. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Dynasty International (Karl Anderson & Joey Ryan)

Guerre Sans Frontières - September 4, 2009
4. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Hero

Against the Grain - October 2, 2009
5. El Generico vs. Chris Hero

2009 Battle of Los Angeles - November 21, 2009
6. Kenny Omega vs. Roderick Strong

Kurt Russellreunion - January 30, 2010
7. Chris Hero vs. Roderick Strong vs. Rob Van Dam

Disc 3
As The Worm Turns - February 27, 2010
1. Kenny Omega vs. Davey Richards

Titannica - April 10, 2010
2. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Seven - July 30, 2010
Three-Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
3. ¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

2010 Battle of Los Angeles - September 5, 2010
4. Chris Hero vs. Akira Tozawa

Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison - December 11, 2010
5. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. Akira Tozawa

DDT4 (2011) - November 1, 2008
6. American Wolves (Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

All Star Weekend 8 - Night 1 - May 27, 2011
7. El Generico & Ricochet vs. Nightmare Violence Connection (Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa)

But that's not all, as an extra special treat they're also giving us a DVD of the PWG MVP, EL GENERICO!

Disc One
Free Admission (Just Kidding) - November 13, 2004
1. El Generico vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

Beyond the Thunderdome - March 18, 2006
2. El Generico & Quicksilver vs. Arrogance ("Photogenic" Chris Bosh & Scott Lost)

2006 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 3, 2006
3. CIMA vs. El Generico

All Star Weekend 4 - Night 2 - October 18, 2006
4. El Generico vs. "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC

Giant-Sized Annual #4 - July 29, 2007
5. El Generico & Kevin Steen vs. PAC & Roderick Strong

Giant-Sized Annual #4 - July 29, 2007
6. "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. El Generico

2007 Battle of Los Angeles - Night 3 - September 3, 2007
7. El Generico vs. Nigel McGuinness

Express Written Consent - February 21, 2009
8. El Generico vs. Kenny Omega

Threemendous II - July 31, 2009
9. 2 Skinny Black Guys (El Generico & Human Tornado) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Disc 2
Guerre Sans Frontières - September 4, 2009
1. El Generico vs. Shingo Takagi

Speed of Sound - August 28, 2009
Reseda Street Fight
2. El Generico vs. Chuck Taylor

2009 Battle of Los Angeles - November 21, 2009
3. El Generico & Kevin Steen vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Kurt Russellreunion - January 30, 2010
4. El Generico vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Seven - July 30, 2010
Three-Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
5. ¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

The Curse of Guerrilla Island - October 9, 2010
6. El Generico vs. Ricochet

2011 Battle of Los Angeles - August 20, 2011
7. Claudio Castagnoli vs. El Generico

Steen Wolf - November 22, 2011
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Ladder Match
8. El Generico vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen

The Viper

Reaction score
Oh my. I'm seeing people go apeshit over Sells Out Vol. 3 on Twitter but I've never heard of it until now :( But it looks fucking outstanding.

Reaction score
Oh my. I'm seeing people go apeshit over Sells Out Vol. 3 on Twitter but I've never heard of it until now :( But it looks fucking outstanding.

There's nothing to hear of before now. It's just the third "Best Of" DVD set.

Out of the two, the Generico DVD set is the stronger one. PWG Sells Out Vol. 3 loses points for not having too many older PWG matches. Part of the appeal of these PWG Sells Out sets is to be able to get matches on DVD from shows that you can't buy anymore (Debut show-Tango and Cash tag tournament). Vol. 2 was pretty good about offering plenty of those "Lost" matches, but there were still some notable ones worth releasing on DVD. Off of the top of my head:

AJ Styles vs Frankie Kazarian - Debut Show
Frankie Kazarian vs Joey Ryan - BAM3000 Stage 2 (Crowning of first PWG Champion)
CM Punk vs Samoa Joe - An Inch Longer Than Average
Aerial Xpress vs Havana Pitbulls - Pimpin' In High Places
Chris Bosh vs Excalibur - Pimpin' In High Places (Big moment in the PWG Six/AXP rivalry)
Samoa Joe vs BJ Whitmer - Pimpin' In High Places
Bryan Danielson and Super Dragon vs Havana Pitbulls - Tango and Cash Night 2
Bryan Danielson and Super Dragon vs B-Boy and Homicide - Tango and Cash Night 2 (Crowning of first PWG tag champions)

Castiel

Reaction score
I'm guessing using fairly newer matches would be due to their production improving and/or wanting to show new fans what they're like now or something. It is odd to leave out stuff like the crowning of your first champions though. Anyway, Hero/Tozawa and Three Way Guerrilla Warfare were literally like the first matches I watched. Cool to see them on there, London/Generico were great.

The Viper

Reaction score
There's nothing to hear of before now. It's just the third "Best Of" DVD set.

Yeah, I guess it was obvious its a "Best Of" set, lol. What I probably meant to say was I never heard of the "Sells Out" compilations before this. I guess this vol. 3 has been long overdue since a lot of people were very excited for this one.

Reaction score
I'm guessing using fairly newer matches would be due to their production improving and/or wanting to show new fans what they're like now or something. It is odd to leave out stuff like the crowning of your first champions though.

I'm assuming they added so much new stuff so that fans would be more tempted to buy it. However, 2009-2010 makes up 13 of the 22 matches. Take away the 2 2011 matches and you only have 7 matches to showcase 2003-2008. Would it have really lowered the appeal of the DVD to take away a match or two from 2009 and 2010 to be added to the earlier years? Personally, I think putting Punk/Joe on the DVD would have been a slight draw for the DVD. I've seen the match and it's not like it's amazing or anywhere close to their ROH trilogy, but it's still a good match and it's Joe vs Punk.

If you're trying to give fans an idea of what PWG was like over the years, you really need to finally showcase the PWG 6 vs AXP feud. Along with Adam Pearce vs Kazarian, that was the feud of the first year. It ended up creating a lot of big matches including Guerrilla Games (First and only time PWG used a Survivor Series elimination match) and the second ever Guerrilla Warfare match between Scorpio Sky and Super Dragon.

Yeah, I guess it was obvious its a "Best Of" set, lol. What I probably meant to say was I never heard of the "Sells Out" compilations before this. I guess this vol. 3 has been long overdue since a lot of people were very excited for this one.

At the time, PWG Sells Out Vol. 1 was the single best indy DVD release for your money. It was three discs of three hours of action (On each disc) with some of the best and biggest matches in PWG history. Best part was that you could buy it in a store. A few years later, they came out with PWG Sells Out Vol. 2. Not quite as good, but once again, it was 20 bucks for 9 hours worth of action. Downside was that it was only available online.

To this day, both releases were two of the best indy DVD's ever. Now that both are out of stock (Everywhere) prices can get pretty high with the DVD's. So if you have any interest in Vol 3, buy it when it comes out, otherwise the cheap price of 20 bucks will go way up.

Castiel

Reaction score
PWG is on a roll right now with giving the people what they've been wanting! KENNY OMEGA returns last minute to team with El Generico against The Young Bucks! Roderick Strong will now take on Rich Swann.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Kenny Omega's first US date in 2+ years?

Michael Elgin will pull double duty and wrestle Eddie Edwards.