Psych

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
495px-Psych.svg.png

Wait for iiiiiiiit.....
After finding out in the Community thread that rawisrey and Primetime are also Psych fans I thought that it was time for a Psych thread.

This is one of my favourite shows of all time. I actually only found out about the show when the pilot episode was including in a Monk DVD that I had bought. I watched it and I was hooked right away. The chemistry that Shawn and Gus have is outstanding and what makes it even more surprising is that James Roday and Dule Hill never even met before the show. The concept is great, with a hyper observant person pretending to be a psychic to work for the police. The show is so funny and they have managed the character development well over the years.

Currently six seasons have aired and I believe that season seven will air in the US starting Feb next year. For me I am just up to the end of Season 5 but I have ordered the Season 6 DVD so hopefully that will arrive in a couple of weeks.

It is so hard to pick my favourite episode because there are so many throughout all the seasons. The Yin Yang series stands out, the second part of that trilogy is one of the best television episodes I have ever seen. Tuesday the 17th, Lights Camera ... Homicidio, Shawn and Gus of the Dead, Bounty Hunters, American Duos are other episodes that I love that come to mind.

Any other Psych fans out there?

rawisrey

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
absolutely love this show, I'd have to say it's probably considered my favorite show mainly because it's the one I really follow. I mean wrestlings since I was a babeh but this is as far as just television shows go. I remember how I watched it, I was watching Raw and this wasn't a regular thing but this time they had a repeat of Psych right after Raw and I didn't change the channel. After that I was hooked, I mean I think this was what? 07 cause Season 2 was about to start, and at the time I had a VCR/DVD combo and there was a marathon of the first season and I recorded the whole first season on tapes so I can rewatch it probably still have the Psych Do Not Record labeled tapes in a closet somewhere. that was before I was surprised with the 1-3 season box sets as a gift, as far as favorite episodes that would be hard to choose. Mostly because when I start watching the show I don't go through just one favorite episode it's more like go through disc 4 of season 3 and stuff like that.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Some great news for us Psych fans;

The USA Network's longest-running series currently on air will continue to hold that title after it was announced on Twitter that the network has picked up Psych for an 8th season. 8 new episodes have been ordered for what is rumoured to be the dramedy's last season

It is a bit disappointing that it is only an 8 episode pickup and that it may be it's last season but I am just grateful that there will be an 8th season. It is positive that USA Network announced the renewal before the 7th season even started airing, shows that they do have plenty of confidence in the show and aren't too concerned about the ratings. If it rates well I can see them expanding it to a full 16 episode pick up.

Also I watched Season 6 and it is bloody awesome. It is right up there with Season 2 as my favourite season. This show keeps getting better and I can't wait for season 7 to start airing especially after Season 6 ended with a massive cliff hanger.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Glad it got renewed for another season even if is it short. I expected at least one more anyways with the success it has had on the USA Network. However they have done a lot of shit and I could see Shawn and Gus moving on as this was just a phase of their life. It's had a hell of a run though.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I think it's funny that this show was spoofing Monk and the Dead Zone and is just as successful. Hoping that upon return it can get one more season. I doubt they intended this to be the last season and I think Shawns secret needs to come out at least to a few characters.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am trying to think of how they could end it. With Monk it was easy, he was always going to solve Trudy's murder in the final episode of the show. With Psych I could see Shawn being exposed as a fraud to the department but maybe they still keep using him because he does produce results even if he isn't a psychic. Still plenty of time for that though with all of Season 7 plus Season 8 to work towards a finish, if that is when they are concluding the show.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Well if the show hadn't lasted so long because I believe it's supposed to occur in real time each season being a year. Making them about thirty assuming they were roughly 22 when is started the perfect ending would be him slowly becoming better at police procedure and becoming a real detective (I believe he washes out of the police academy in the pilot)

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I watched the first season fully and it was freaking hilarious, but it was WAYYYY too similar to The Mentalist and House so I stopped watching it. I prefer my detectives to have a serious face and Roday's clownish behavior seemed....uhh..idk...not my thing. The occasional dosage however, I don't mind...

It's funny and a bit of a shame that Roday has never been nominated for an Emmy. Clownish, yeah...but a loveable one. I'd have nominated him for his first season performance alone.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well if the show hadn't lasted so long because I believe it's supposed to occur in real time each season being a year. Making them about thirty assuming they were roughly 22 when is started the perfect ending would be him slowly becoming better at police procedure and becoming a real detective (I believe he washes out of the police academy in the pilot)

He was never in the police academy in the pilot, in the pilot he never wants to work for the police because it would mean being like his dad who he detests at that stage. In the pilot he calls in a tip, one of many that he has called in, and the police bring him in. He thinks that he is getting a reward for helping the police catch the guy but they actually think that he was working with the criminal. To explain how he figured out the crime he says he is psychic when he is really just hyper observant.

They do go to the police academy in Season 5 or 6, and basically relive all the great moments from the Police academy films, when the Chief believes that everyone that works for the department should have basic training.

I watched the first season fully and it was freaking hilarious, but it was WAYYYY too similar to The Mentalist and House so I stopped watching it. I prefer my detectives to have a serious face and Roday's clownish behavior seemed....uhh..idk...not my thing. The occasional dosage however, I don't mind...

It's funny and a bit of a shame that Roday has never been nominated for an Emmy. Clownish, yeah...but a loveable one. I'd have nominated him for his first season performance alone.

The Mentalist completely ripped the idea from Psych but made it more into a drama than a comedy. They pay out Mentalist all the time in Psych for taking the idea. That is why I can't watch Mentalist, even though there is an Australian lead, because they just took the idea from Psych and because I watched that first and loved it I can't get into the Mentalist. I like that it is a light-hearted detective show, serious detective shows are a dime a dozen on tv these days.

It is weird how shows like this, and Community, are always ignored in the Awards season even though they are quite critically acclaimed and are a lot funnier than stuff like Two and a Half Men.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
lol @ two and a half men

Well, technically there is no "ripping" involved, as they are all ultimately variants of the Sherlock Holmes novels, but I agree with your comment on serious dramas being a dime a dozen these days. Maybe I should start watching the next season, I don't know why I quit to begin with...shows like House; as one reviewer accurately elucidated, went from "enlightened cynicism" to "life and existence are misery"....Psych seems like a good antidote. Does it like get better after the first season/maintain it's quality or go down like most shows do? I will not bother with it if there's too much of a decline in quality.

I remember seeing this ad for Psych on a local channel a few weeks ago. It goes with Roday saying something like "Have you seen The Mentalist? It's like that. If I was a "fake" psychic, it would be eerily similar. A virtual carbon copy."

I lol'd

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I agree that in the end there are basically no original ideas but it was odd how close the basis of The Mentalist is to Psych, but the writers are really good because they include light hearted references to it.

For me Psych does get better as it goes on, I found Season 5 a little bit disappointing but Season 6 is incredible and my favourite season along with Season 2. The characters develop nicely as the seasons go on and they don't rush it or make it too forceful. They allow it to happen over time and you still get a great episode each week.

Just on House, I really enjoyed the first three seasons but after that I completely lost interest. The original cast was fantastic and they ruined it by adding all these randoms and reducing the roles of the others.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Will watch the next few seasons.

House died when Cameron and Chase left the team. Specifically Cameron. (Agree on the original teams chemistry too.)

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Last episode was freaking awesome can't believe they even made fun of their own mentalist joke.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Good to hear that the quality is holding up yet again. Season six was incredible so it is a tough ask for them to follow that up with another stellar season. Going to be another long wait until it airs here, still baffles me that great shows like this can't get air time in Australia even on Paytv or digital channnels. Paytv is only up to Season 4 and Digital is up to Season 5.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
tvbythenumbers said:
USA Network, the #1 cable network, is giving PSYCH-Os what they want: more PSYCH episodes! Due to the extraordinary popularity of the show, the network has ordered two additional episodes for the eighth season, and, for the first time ever, fans will have the opportunity to vote for one they want to see appear on-air. The results will be announced when PSYCH makes its fifth annual return to San Diego’s Comic Con® on July 18.

Fans can start making their voices heard on Wednesday, June 26, via[url]http://www.usanetwork.com/content/psych-episode-vote[/URL], and cast their vote for one of the following storylines:

• TELETHON - In a classic "whodunit?â€￾ case with a PSYCH twist, Shawn and Gus investigate a murder that Shawn is convinced was committed by the beloved host of Santa Barbara's annual Children's Hospital Telethon. There's only one problem – the host was seen by hundreds of thousands of people on live television during the exact time the murder occurred elsewhere. Can Shawn steal the show, poke a hole in this rock-solid alibi, and prove the host did it? Or will Shawn fail in front of his biggest audience yet?
  • DREAM THERAPY - From acclaimed director James Roday ("Mr. Yin Presents…", "Heeeeere's Lassie"), comes a new vision in terror: "Nightmare on State Street!â€￾ In the episode, an exhausted Gus enters dream therapy to understand the cause of his recent night terrors. But after this, nothing is ever again what it seems... He soon realizes that in dreams, no one can hear you scream!

• FOOD TRUCK - When the well-known owner of a beloved Santa Barbara food truck is mysteriously murdered, Shawn and Gus, fans of delicious flavor, are determined to solve the crime as only they can. They go undercover as proprietors of the PSYCH Naptime Food Truck, and soon discover that the high-profit world of Santa Barbara's mobile food business is cutthroat, insular and a place of many secrets – many of them worth killing for.

The results of the fan vote will be announced in San Diego where PSYCH kicks off two days of activations starting on July 17 with an exclusive midnight screening of the highly anticipated “PSYCH: The Musical,â€￾ a two-hour special episode airing this winter on USA. The following day, the network will host a characteristically hilarious PSYCH panel during Comic-Con with the winning storyline revealed by the cast.​

Excellent news that they are adding two more episodes to the 8th season. I still think that it will be the last so it is nice that they are expanding it closer to a full season order. As for the episode that you can vote on I went for DREAM THERAPY. Psych have a strong track record when it comes to horror episodes so I had to go for that.

Really looking forward to that two hour musical episode, no idea what wacky things they will come up with for that episode.