• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Proposition 8 Overturned!

the408kid

Reaction score
The California Proposition that banned Gay Marriage has been overturned by a judge citing it to be unconstitutional. Your thoughts!

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
Well if you want my opinion, I agree with Elton John.

Elton John: Where Prop 8 went wrong
Updated 11/13/2008 5:09 AM | Comments 260 | Recommend 62 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this
"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," said Elton John, who cemented his relationship with David Furnish in 2005. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off. "
Enlarge image Enlarge By Andy Kropa, AP
"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," said Elton John, who cemented his relationship with David Furnish in 2005. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off. "

* Add to Mixx
* Facebook
* Twitter

More
o Fark
o Digg
o Reddit
o MySpace
o StumbleUpon
o Propeller
o LinkedIn

* Subscribe
* myYahoo
* iGoogle

More
o Netvibes
o myAOL

By Donna Freydkin, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — Elton John, accompanied by his longtime partner, David Furnish, had some choice words about California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage that passed on Nov. 4.

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

John and Furnish, and their two cocker spaniels, Marilyn and Arthur, were in town for Tuesday's annual benefit for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," John says. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off.

"You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

The dinner, held at Cipriani Wall Street, was hosted by CNN's Anderson Cooper and featured a performance from Gladys Knight. John's foundation gets a four-star rating, the highest available, from CharityNavigator.com, and John, in his speech, called for a national AIDS policy.

What does the annual gala mean to him? "It means we get to see our friends on the East Coast who support us so much. It's a staple event for us on our calendar in America. We do the Oscar party on the West Coast, and we do this on the East Coast."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-11-12-elton-john_N.htm

"Marriage… is the civil status of one man and one woman united in law for life, for the discharge to each other and the community of the duties legally incumbent on those whose association is founded on the distinction of sex."
- Black's Law Dictionary, dating back to 1891

And to be honest I don't really care what they do. But I do not like it when people try to redefine definitions of words. Example: changing the definition of blueberry. Or changing the definition of racism or marriage.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/1094962