Prod's Corner #2: Why John Cena has my respect.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Ladies and gentleman I am finally back with another edition of Prod's corner and in this edition I am going to be disussing the reasons why John Cena has my respect and doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. Of course there are many things that still annoy me with Cena and I will touch on them slightly but the main content is going to be me praising Cena for things he's impressed me with.

John Felix Anthony Cena, better known as John Cena debuted for the WWE in 2002 after prior having a career as a bodybuilder. For the first few months in the WWE Cena did not really have a charater but soon adopted a gangster rapper gimmick which he played to perfection. Perhaps it was because Cena had an interest in Rap or maybe a talent in Rap that he was able to capture the imaginations of the crowd so quick and become one of the most over talents in the company. Some of you may be saying the only reason it got him over was because Rap is a popular music genre but to suceed you've got to really embrace the gimmick and make it your lifestyle, if Cena didn't like Rap he'd of probably been half hearted and it wouldn't of worked. The gimmick being the instant hit it was meant that Cena was already challenging for the WWE Title before any other title and just came up short on being one of the most succesful rookies in the WWE...in fact, scrap that, because Cena was no longer a Rookie, he was already one of the big boys in the company and he did it through hard work and determination... It didn't take long for the hard work to pay off and at Wrestlemania 20 Cena defeated The Big Show to win his first title in the company The U.S Title at his first Wrestlemania, definitely a HUGE victory no pun intended. It was clear that Cena was something special and the fact that he played his gimmick so well meant that he was able to customize The U.S Title when he later won the title from Carlito. Under the same gimmick John Cena went on to beat JBL at Wrestlemania 21 for the WWE Championship, cementing his status as one of the hottest things in pro wrestling at that moment. If you don't believe me, Cena once again got to customize the belt and to this day the belt is still used!... In my eyes the Rapper gimmick has been Cena's best gimmick, it was fresh, modern and was a perfect way for him to get over and he did just that with it being pretty obvious he enjoyed it. There is however no denying that whatever gimmick Cena is given he plays it well. Throughout the years we've seen a Marine Gimmick in line with the movie Cena starred in, and the Never Give Up Gimmick in which Cena has vowed to, well, never give up even if defeat is staring him in the face. Yeah, you can call the Never Give Up gimmick the Superman gimmick all you like but there's no denying the fact that Cena lives up to the gimmick with some great, often corny, mic work. So for starters Cena's ability to play his gimmick to perfection is certainly one of the reasons why he has my respect.

It's always been typical of the IWC to bash Cena and say he Cannot Wrestle. And to be honest it would be lying if someone said Cena was better in ring then someone like Brian Danielson and I myself admin a Cena Cannot Wrestle page on Facebook. However I think everyone, myself included, are a bit harsh on Cena when we say he can't wrestle. Lets look at it this way, we are living in the PG Era, an Era in which the majority of the fanbase are young kids. Instead of saying Cena Cannot Wrestle we should be saying Cena Cannot Wrestle more than what's needed because at the end of the day his Five, it might be six now, moves of doom instantly excite these young fans when they see them performed. These kids don't want to be seeing LaBell locks, stiff kicks, multiple variations of Suplex's or Roundhouse kicks, they want to see the moves that cause the most impat and like it or not Cena's moves are impactful. Hey, I'm sure Cena has more moves that he's specifically told not to use unless the occasion is right, these kids don't want to be bored by someone with a long list of moves (is that maybe why DBs crowd reaction is never good?), they want fast paced excitement and The Five Moves of doom definetely do that. And I'll give credit where credit is due, Cena is constantly improving in the ring. At Money in The Bank he knew that the occasion was big and he showed us just why he's where he is today by putting on a 5* match with CM Punk. Did I mention he now does a dropkick?! Also look at Cena vs Michaels which took place at Earls Court in 2007 I believe, fantastic match. Another good thing is Cena takes it all in his stride, never gets pissed off with the fans who say he can't wrestle and acts proffessionally about it... I'd feel fine saying he can't wrestle to his face, but to be honest I don't want to. I'd rather say it to Orton but I don't want to think of the consequences.

Finally we come to my last point, how have I managed to get this far praising Cena I will never know... Well, this is something I didn't really take much notice to until a few months ago. Well, lets first go back to the past. In 2009 John Cena had a small feud in which Cena squashed The Miz at The Bash. That's not a good thing though is it? Well, fastforward to 2011 and The Miz is holding the WWE Championship and faces Cena at Wrestlemania. We all think Cena is going to get the win and bury The Miz once more...but does he? No, of course not, John Cena does what he has done so many times before to other guys and puts The Miz over at Wrestlemania! Yeah, this is my last point of praise, even though Cena is the poster boy of the company he still puts over guys, and he does it when the time is right as well. In 2009 The Miz had nothing going for him, so what was the point in putting him over? In 2011 Cena knew that Miz was something special and put him over. Yeah, some of you will say that it was WWEs choice but we all know Cena has a say in the running of things and if it was Orton instead of Cena Miz would of been buried for sure...remember Miz never went clean over Orton. Don't believe Cena puts guys over? Well look how guys such as CM Punk, Edge, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, RVD were all put over by Cena. The guy isn't all in it for himself like some people think, he puts guys over who he knows can be succesful, I mean look at CM Punk now, look at the singles career Edge had which was hugely helped by Cena. And Barrett and Sheamus, they're not as dominant now but still draw a massive reaction from the crowd all because Cena made them relevant.

So the article is near its end. I've not touched on Cena's make a wish work or work with armed forces because I'm sure that's something we all know about. John Cena without shadow of a doubt is a hard working and passionate human being and I'll bet that everytime he steps in the ring it's special for him. You may not like his characters or his in ring skills but there's no questioning that you should respect John Cena.

Thank you.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Great, great article there.

Made me think tbh and you are right. Cena is indeed talented and does put people over.

Everything there is true.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Great read Prod, I agree with you totally.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of him not letting Barrett get more moves on him on Tuesday, but this article just proves that Cena is the man. Cena will never pull an Orton where he wins like four matches of the feud and only lets the guy win by DQ in one. This just puts everything into perspective about John and you couldn't have been more spot on.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Cena has never deserved the amount of heat that he gets from a portion of the fans. He was over exposed for a period of time but he always gave his all in the ring, and outside of it. That is where I think the hate started, he was in every mainevent at every PPV so he was everywhere. He isn't a Shawn Michaels in the ring but he is more talented than most give him credit for. He regulary has very good matches, just look at his last two PPV matches against CM Punk, and he has also pulled out good matches against terrible workers like Khali and Lashley on PPV. If WWE kept the title off him for a bit then I think it would really help the reaction that he receives from the crowd. One thing that really impresses me with Cena is that he is all about the business, he works harder than anyone else on the roster as he is always making so many appearances outside of the ring promoting the company and helping out with good causes.