PPV's on Spike TV?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

gashface

Reaction score
With the buying figures for last years TNA PPV's being almost laughable.
See here: http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/66317

or...
35,000 for (2006) Turning Point (Joe vs. Angle)
34,000 for Final Resolution (Joe vs. Angle)
23,000 for Against All Odds (Angle vs. Cage)
36,000 for Destination X (Joe vs. Cage)
35,000 for Lockdown (Team Angle vs. Team Cage)
21,000 for Sacrifice (Angle vs. Sting vs. Cage)
22,000 for Slammiversary (King of the Mountain)
15,000 for Victory Road (Joe and Angle vs. Team 3D)
26,000 for Hard Justice (Joe vs. Angle)
17,000 for No Surrender (Angle vs. Abyss)
36,000 for Bound For Glory (Sting vs. Angle)
27,000 for Genesis (Sting and Booker T vs. Angle and Nash)

Do you think it would be more profitable both in a financial sense (through sponsorship) and in the sense of TNA expanding it's fan base, for them to host their monthly pay-per-views on spike TV, or at least every bi-monthly event on spike TV.

Reasons I think this is a good idea? People who've never bought a TNA ppv can see what they're getting and thus might be encouraged to buy them in the future (if they're impressed enough)

You can still make up money through sponsorship and commercials, TNA would probably make actually more money than they are from the buyrates.

New fans are going to become interested in you rather than WWE, why you're giving them something for free... but once you've hooked them, you can then put more events on PPV - and once they're hooked they're more likely to pay to see an event.

You're generally going to get more fans from this, sure they're not paying to see a pay-per-view but who wants to pay when it comes down to it? I get ppv's for free as I'm in the uk, but about three days later... now if I didn't, I wouldn't order one unless it was something spectacular, and I'm quite a dedicated fan. Now if I don't want to order one, who does?

chessarmy

its a decent idea, I dont think its good for the long run though. What TNA should do is make TNA iMPACT! Live so that its more exciting (every time a title change occurs it gets spoiled so quickly on the internet) and also, if iMPACT! is better booked and showcases the true talent that TNA has, then the fans will get hooked and buy the PPV, thats basically what TV is for. iMPACT! hasn't really accomplished that, and that explains the terrible buy rates

cjtwba

Reaction score
i totally agree with that but you have to think that with tna growing and more peole watching if they tune in and they see sharkboy against eric young they will turn it straight off but if it was sting vs cage then they would know them. I think that they are still pushing natural talent though such as kaz, robert roode, styles, mmg, storm

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Style, not precisely like that. Maybe a quartely big show they have on Spike with PPV caliber matches. It wouldn't hurt anything..

gashface

Reaction score
I used the term pay-per-view simply because that's what we've come to know them as peepshow. Monthly events then, I think it would be a good idea to do it for some of the monthly events, such as a bi-monthly arrangement. In england we get to see a lot of the WWE ppv's live on sky sports, we usually only have to pay for the bigger ones.

PeepShow

So in other words, have every other Pay Per View on Spike for free then? Is that what you are saying?

It could work, but IDK that it would. I mean they try to do pretty much everything, and not a whole lot has worked...lol

MJ807

Reaction score
Giving Pay Per Views for free really takes away the Pay Per View part now big events sure but they do that all ready most of the time. For the fans it would be a good idea but thats all it would help your not going to see any more people watch TNA or anything else from having a big event for free.

MrKennedyMark

Reaction score
If it was something like Clash Of The Champions, I'd say give it a go. However, if its a PPV, then it should stay PPV. Something like COTC would be a nice way to entice fans (newer ones) to order PPVs.

Reaction score
I love it. A big 2 hr LIVE special. WWE has them often now. They're not quite ppv quality but it work. Any casual fan may see it and check it out.

phantomgerald

I think it would work if they make occasional TNA special, like maybe every week of the year for the day when TNA was founded. Having PPVs on television will make it feel cheap and the wrestlers might not be as motivated to bring their a-game.

CenaMark54

If you have too many on free TV then it just becomes like a regular show.

It could make the titles seem less important.