Post NJPW Power Struggle 2016 thread.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

How would you rate Power Struggle 2016?

• 10 (Masterpiece/Classic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 (Great/Amazing)

• 8 (Very Good)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 7 (Good)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 6 (Fine/Decent)

• 5 (Average)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 4 (Bad)

• 3 (Very Bad)

• 2 (Horrible)

• 1 (Appalling

• Total voters

Trevor~

The Lunatic Fringe
Banned
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingwithwords.com
Pre Show 6-Man Tag:
Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Juice Robinson def. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Teruaki Kanemitsu

8-Man Tag:
Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV, Ricochet & David Finlay def. Ryusuke Taguchi, Angel de Oro, Titan & Fuego
Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens & BONE SOLDIER) def. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yoshitatsu

IWGP Tap Team Championship Match:
Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (c) defeated CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI)

Super Jr Tag Tournament Finals:
Roppongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Beretta) defeated ACH & Taiji Ishimori

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match:
KUSHIDA defeated BUSHI (c) to become the 75th IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion

8-Man Tag:
Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Adam Cole, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) def. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Hirooki Goto, Will Ospreay & Gedo)

Never Openweight Championship Match:
EVIL defeated Katsuyori Shibata (c) to become the 13th NEVER Openweight Champion

Single Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated SANADA

IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match:
Tetsuya Naito (c) defeated Jay Lethal

Yoshitatsu commented backstage that he will bring a "big name" to World Tag League 2016 as his new partner.

RPG Vice "Young Bucks, we've got two words for you: Tokyo Dome!"

The Time Bomb is the man formerly known in CMLL and ROH as Kamaitachi, Hiromu Takahashi returning from excursion. He challenges KUSHIDA for his IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship at Wrestle Kingdom 11.

Tanahashi challenges Naito post-match to a match at Wrestle Kingdom 11, telling him that the roles have been reversed, and that Naito is his last chance to be in the center of the Tokyo Dome. Naito accepts, but tells Tanahashi to be careful what he wishes for, before shooing him out of the ring and delivering his post-match monologue to the Osaka crowd. Naito remarks that it's a shame that they probably won't be in the main event, but that he still has a big surprise in store for this road to the Tokyo Dome.

Overall this show was really good. Not a match i'd say didn't need to be there or wasn't worth watching. The show started off great with my boy Taguchi and the gang having a good ol' time in the ring. The next match was less of a banger and more of just banter if you know what I mean, probably the least best match on the card. The next two tag matches were absolutely great matches no doubt about it, I wasn't sure how the juniors were gonna follow GoD but they somehow pulled it off. Kushida vs. Bushi might of been match of the night, plus the Time Bomb was absolutely high af. I don't think the second half of the show was as good as the first half. CHAOS vs. Bullet Club was a bit underwhelming but it was necessary to build to Tokyo Dome. Evil vs. Shibata was an absolutely brutal match and had a bit of a shocking ending. Tanahashi vs Sanada was great for watching Tanahashi try and get his wind back. The main event wasn't anything unexpected or new but still a good match, wasn't memorable at all however. Still, a very solid show. I recommended watching NJPW live if you are willing to stay up for it and also finding a Japanese fan from twitter to view it with as well. Great times.

Reactions: Larsosc and Drag

Larsosc

The Artiste
Reaction score
I will go back and check out the GoD match since it's getting an unrealistic amount of praise and I missed it. All I know is that the Jr. title match was fucking phenomenal. It didn't feature any crazy stunts really and I believe both guys kept it in the ring for a good 95% of the match if not 100%, but it was an incredible play on KUSHIDA's desire for the jr. title. KUSHIDA didn't wrestle like he usually does with fan favorite moves, he kept going for that arm and drove himself to use despicable tactics unlike him like pulling off the mask, running at BUSHI from the bat and pummeling him on ref's discretion because he was dead set on winning the title back. It elevates the title and the division so much on a whole, seeing someone so dedicated to their position. KUSHIDA was obviously going for a shock factor here and it definitely worked with the crowd booing him at certain points and even rallying behind BUSHI who would otherwise have been the clear heel. The match had real heat and told an organic story that really made KUSHIDA's motives fully transpire and it was SO CAPTIVATING for that reason. Not to mention fantastic in-ring work.

I feel like I'm alone on an island here because I haven't seen anybody else sing it the same praises I have, but for me it's a ****1/2 match, easy. That's the only real hot take I have on a show with nothing but solid work and a handful of matches in the 4 star range. How are NJPW successfully building up WK11 with the same level of excitement as previous years after being raided and tornado'ed of main event talent? Because Gedo is one of the greatest minds in wrestling booking, baby. I believe Osaka was sold out here and I can sense a possibility for an uptick in WK attendance despite the talent raid in the past year or so.

Reactions: Trevor~

NexFlax

Reaction score
The show started off great with my boy Taguchi and the gang having a good ol' time in the ring.
Facts.
and also finding a Japanese fan from twitter to view it with as well. Great times.
Also facts. Zetjet made the show so much fun to watch.

Overall a great show with some great wrestling. Also setting up more matches for WK getting the ball rolling down to January 4th. Only real complaint was that the main event felt like just a normal mid-card match or some non-title match near the bottom of the card at WK. Also, Kamaitachi looks fucking amazing in his punked out gear and I hope he comes out to Blood Visions at WK.

Reactions: Trevor~

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I haven't watched the show yet. Will probably watch tomorrow.