Pop Music

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Eddie#1

Reaction score
Like why the hell do people say there is a genre of "Pop Music". There is absolutely no genre of pop music. Pop music ten years ago was boy bands, now it is rock. The whole concept of Pop music pisses me off as it is now genre, it is just what music is popular at the time. So I say that there shouldn't even be any music considered Pop Music. That's my little rant on "Pop Music", I'm sorry if this has been posted before. Anyways I was wondering what you all thought about it.

MikeRaw

No, you're confusing "Popular culture" and "pop music".
Both suck IMO, but there is a difference. What you are referring to when you say about things being "in" and popular, is popular culture. Pop music is still a genre, even if it is horrible. Pop music describes the sound created by the "music" of people like Britney Spears, Christian Aguilera, Lindsay Lohan, etc.

You're saying that because some pop rock is popular now, it is pop music, and that pop music isn't a genre, but that's wrong.
Like I said, pop music is a genre, it doesn't even have to be popular. Pop music is that type of music (Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, etc), that is characterized by upbeat, cheesy, music (aka: it sucks) That doesn't change. Pop music is always the same types of music.
Pop culture though, does change. Rock music may be the most popular one year, dance the next, rap the next, boy bands the next, etc. That does change.

Ah well, it all sucks anyways.

Eddie#1

Reaction score
but pop music does change, it's not just todays new rock that is considered under pop music, but classic rock is also put under pop music, pop music is the music that is popular.

MikeRaw

No, it's not. Rock music is put under rock music.
Rock music, depending ont he band, may be placed in the pop culture spotlight, being put on mtv and all that, but when it comes down to genres, rock is still in the rock genre, and pop still contains the same stuff it always has (usually a singer, not a band, and not many instruments, and either boybandish or girlish)

Eddie#1

Reaction score
if that is true then why is Papa Roach, a Rock Band, also considered under Pop Music

MikeRaw

It's not... Where have you seen this?
I've never seen that. Ever. When I see a pop section, I see the music I described earlier. I never see rock in there.

Kizza

if that is true then why is Papa Roach, a Rock Band, also considered under Pop Music

Papa Roach isn't pop.

If you go to any music store, they will have a section on Pop music. That's your likes of Britney Spears, Jonas Brothers etc. Heavily commercialized and played incessantly on the radio. Pop music is people who have made a living off popular music that is catchy and easy to sing/dance to.

Eddie#1

Reaction score
Where do I get that from?
I get that from the music stores in Edmonton Alberta.
They have the Rock bands under the Pop section

MikeRaw

Well, then Edmonton is fucked. Everywhere else in pretty much the world has seperate sections.
So, because you see it in the stores there, that they are classified together, you think that everything popular is automatically considered pop? It's obviously just a mess up in the stores.

Kizza

Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Pop music is a music genre that features a noticeable rhythmic element, melodies and hooks, a mainstream style, and conventional structure.

The term "pop music" was first used in 1926 in the sense of "having popular appeal" (see Popular music), but since the 1950s it has been used in the sense of a musical genre, originally characterized as a lighter alternative to rock and roll.[1][2]

The standard format of pop music is the song, customarily less than five minutes in duration, with instrumentation that can range from an orchestra to a lone singer. Despite this wide scope, a typical modern lineup in a pop band includes one or two guitarists, a bassist, a drummer (or an electronic drum machine), a keyboardist and one or more vocalists.

Pop songs are generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element, a mainstream style and traditional structure. Common variants are the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form, with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks, and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse.[3] Lyrics in pop music are frequently about love, relationships and life experiences. The primary objectives of the pop music genre are audience enjoyment and commercial success.[4] This of course does not imply that those goals are achieved by every song in this genre.[5]

That's what Pop Music is defined as.

CT Styles

Generally when people categorize numerous genres, it'll be under pop. For example, when music channels have 'Pop Countdowns' they're generally numerous genres. I agree in some ways that pop music is generally popular music and most of the mainstream stuff these days could be categorized under pop. It's not like Gangsta Rap's still alive and it's not like they play Heavy Metal on mainstream stations.

Rap and Metal are what these days can comfortably be separated from 'Pop' without argument as most things are 'poppy' in a way.

Kizza

I would categorize stuff like Soulja Boy and 50 Cent as Pop Rap imo.

Obviously I don't know anything about rap whatsoever, but you'd never hear NaS, 2Pac, Biggie etc on the radio, while Soulja boy has gotten famous for one song over the mainstream radio & charts.

*Waits for Gates to enter thread and launch tirade on pop music ;)*

Moonlight Drive

Pop (or nothing for that matter) has anything on black metal~!

On topic, pop is pretty much anything played on the radio extensively, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, etc., and 'Pop Rock' bands like Fall Out Boy and PATD. Although I don't there's always exceptions, ie. Kings of Leon.

Kizza

Pop (or nothing for that matter) has anything on black metal~!

On topic, pop is pretty much anything played on the radio extensively, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, etc., and 'Pop Rock' bands like Fall Out Boy and PATD. Although I don't there's always exceptions, ie. Kings of Leon.

Damn right it has nothing on black metal!

Basically, I categorize anything with MAJOR commercial success as pop. Stuff like Fall Out Boy, Kings Of Leon, Panic At The Fagsco, Nickelback etc, I call pop rock/punk.

Metallica is one of the very few bands except from my opinion above. Possibly AC/DC.