Personality vs Persona

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

So the Bash at teh Beach 2000 thing was 100% real?

Me and a buddy of mine were talking about it the other day and we weren't sure if it was a worked shoot or a true shoot... If that is the correct term lol

maty619

Reaction score
Its hard to tell what a wrestlers off screen personality is, they are changing their on screen personality all the time. For all we know Vince sets up Randy to look like a prick and Cena to look like a good guy just to further their gimmicks, we dont know how far Vince goes.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

Pretty much every wrestler who became a top wrestler is a politic playing asshole. Hogan, Flair, Nash, Michaels, Bret, Triple H. It's just that some are better are wording the fact that they're fucking you in the ass.

As far as gimmicks go if the character is an extension of their personality it's easy for them to perform. There were some like Rick Rude who could be walking around backstage and then the second they hit the curtain it's like a switch turns on and he becomes ravishing rick rude. As far as face-heel goes the character shouldn't change. Only the people's perception of the character.

straight_edge76

It's a dog eat dog buisness. And nobody eats the biggest dogs.

chessarmy

If I was a wrestling promoter and one of the workers was a complete asshole, I'd make sure to book him as a heel. I think the same thing applies in WWE, someone's persona probably directly reflects what disposition they'll be as an on screen character. It makes it easier for the workers to play characters that are close to their actual persona, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if their personalities impacted their gimmicks

CenaMark54

A great wrestler can play any role, regardless of what they are like in real life. Cena has succeeded as both a heel and face.

That's what sets Cena apart from guys like Orton.

kingovkings

Reaction score
There thak you Cena mark, Thats what i was trying to say but im no good at getting my point across without waffling =]

kingovkings

Reaction score
You make it sound so logical, and yet...

Lots of sources say that Orton is a prick in real life. Can we take this as 100% truth? Of course not. But you don't hear stories about him being a real sweetheart AT ALL.

I'm sure all of us, either at work or school, have dealt with the proverbial dicks and suck ups. Just because their personalities don't mesh doesn't mean they are incapable of working together. It's called professionalism.

Please clarify.

I think it's totally possible to pulls ANYTHING off on a short term basis. Can either of them, stepping out of their natural comfort zone make it last though?

And if it were easy to put on a persona on this scale and portray it as truth to the world, all of us would be WWE superstars.

Yes i think they can if they are good at what they do. For example take HHH suppose to be a politicing whore, Prick what ever. Has played a face for what seems like forever. So if he is that cocky arrogant prick, He is doing a mighty fine job making it last if you get were im coming from. I dont think he is any of those by the way he is the MAN ;p

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
A great wrestler can play any role, regardless of what they are like in real life. Cena has succeeded as both a heel and face.

That's what sets Cena apart from guys like Orton.

No denying that. Orton has up until now had no success at coming across as a face. Even now, I think he may be easing more into tweener status then making an actual face turn.

Yes i think they can if they are good at what they do. For example take HHH suppose to be a politicing whore, Prick what ever. Has played a face for what seems like forever. So if he is that cocky arrogant prick, He is doing a mighty fine job making it last if you get were im coming from. I dont think he is any of those by the way he is the MAN ;p

I don't think that any wrestling superstars start out to be deeply immersed in politics. I think that comes WITH the popularity. But is being involved in politics actually considered part of one's personality?

And how about Undertaker guys? Is he among those few who are capable of pulling off both face and heel personas? And surely his personality can't reflect his persona? Or am I wrong?

maty619

Reaction score
No denying that. Orton has up until now had no success at coming across as a face. Even now, I think he may be easing more into tweener status then making an actual face turn.

I don't think that any wrestling superstars start out to be deeply immersed in politics. I think that comes WITH the popularity. But is being involved in politics actually considered part of one's personality?

And how about Undertaker guys? Is he among those few who are capable of pulling off both face and heel personas? And surely his personality can't reflect his persona? Or am I wrong?

-Orton is too far into his heel gimmick to turn full in face now, it wouldn't make any sense at all (I no people change their persona but that is a bit far imo)
-I don't think Taker is the intimidating goth he portrays, you can see it when he is wrestling, he often has breaks in his character/gimmick.

Great One

Well, the point is he wouldn't change his character if he turned face. Just think Austin/Rock.

kingovkings

Reaction score
No politicking isn't considered as a persons personality as far as im aware. I was just using some of the shit that get thrown at Trips who is made out to be some sort of monster, And politicking is one. Bad choice of words my bad :p.

I dont get what u mean about Taker. In the sense his personality can reflect his persona. He is supposed to be a dead mean walking, With magical powers explain please for the slow ones lol.

maty619

Reaction score
He is supposed to be someone that is not human and supposed to be almost robot like with no emotions yet in matches, see him being screwed by Punk, he shows despair and shows that he is just a normal guy, you didn't see him do that when he was first in WWE, before Big Evil (well atleast from what I have seen).

MizMasta3000

No, because if Orton does turn face I'm hoping he'll be keeping the same character...simply directing his aggression towards different people should be enough to do so.

Yeah I don't want him coming out apologizing for what he has done. Orton could have the best face turn in recent years if they still allow him to be the viper