On road to Beijing: a 100km/60mile traffic jam

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The Australian said:
ONE traffic jam snaking into Beijing is 100km long and expected to last for a month.

It shows how China's economic growth and booming car numbers are still outstripping the billions being spent on infrastructure.

The city authorities have sent 400 police to the area to try to calm the situation -- the second time in two months such a massive traffic snarl has occurred on the road that links the Chinese capital to Tibet.

"Insufficient traffic capacity on National Expressway 110 caused by maintenance construction since August 19 is the major cause of the congestion," a publicity officer with the Beijing Traffic Management Bureau told the Global Times this week.

"We've already sent traffic policemen to work on easing the traffic congestion."

The highway is designated for exclusive use by trucks, but the congestion mirrored the daily situation on the roads in most cities of any size in China.

In recent years, vehicle buying in the world's most populous nation has gathered pace. China last year passed the US for the first time as the world's biggest buyer of automobiles.

Car ownership is soaring fastest in China's biggest and richest cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. About 650,000 new cars are estimated to be put on the road every year in the capital alone.

Helped by subsidies, the Chinese bought 13.6 million cars last year, exceeding by three million the estimates made by Ford in February last year.

This included truck sales of 650,000, meaning China was still comfortably ahead in terms of private car sales, which were 53 per cent higher than in 2008.

Vehicle sales are continuing to rise, although growth is slower than last year's highs. Sales of vehicles including buses and trucks increased 14.4 per cent in July to 1.24 million for the month, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.

The Chinese government committed four trillion yuan ($660 billion) in 2008 to a two-year economic stimulus package, which has helped the country avoid the global recession.

About 40 per cent of that has been spent on infrastructure but traffic congestion continues to grow.

One radical solution thrown up this month is a road-straddling mega-bus so big that cars can drive under it. Proponents say this would eliminate the need to tunnel underground or build expensive bridges. The elevated buses straddle the road on rails and provide enough clearance for other vehicles on the road - apart from large trucks - to drive beneath. This strategy would allow the buses to travel faster than the other traffic without the need for dedicated lanes or structures.

And construction of 15km of rail track is planned for Beijing's Mentougou district this year, with a further 170km if it is successful.

Holy crap I would hate to be part of that traffic jam. 100km long is ridiculous and clearly the huge population leads to these situations. It is good that they are updating the road infrastructure but they need to find a way to do it without so severely effecting the traffic.

The solution is equally as crazy. A bus that is so high cars can drive under it. That will just cause crashes, imagine if the bus turns whilst a car is beneath it. Stupid idea but they do need some new ideas to fix these problems.

Dademo

Reaction score
Wow. The biggest traffic jams here in NY last for 1-2 hours maybe, I've never been in a huge won like that. Those people must be going nuts.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
In the state where I live the worst traffic jams last less than half an hour so they are nothing compared to NY or China. It would suck to be in that line knowing that you won't be getting anywhere and that you will be late for days on end.

Dademo

Reaction score
i heard people that live along the highway are helping out the drivers by giving them food and a place to stay overnight. I would accept food but I would just sleep in my car because if the traffic started moving then I wouldn't know.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That is really nice of those people to feed them and offer them a place. Like you said though I wouldn't want to leave my car just incase the line started to move again. I just can't contemplate being stuck in traffic for multiple days, hope they don't lose their jobs over it because they miss work.

R.D Punk

Reaction score
wow 60 miles! I say that jams are big in england and that's because I have to wait nearly 10 min but jesus! I hope no body wasted the oppituniy to sell some pointless crap like car curtains and wet wipes and made some money. It just shows how many Chineese people there are and how badly the government handled it.