Old Orton > Current Orton

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Nick

Reaction score
So after reading all this hate the dude has gotten, it's gotten me thinking. When did he just suddenly become so boring? Am I the only one who thinks that Orton during his Legend killer run was great?

The guy was such a good heel in 03-06 area. He was great as Intercontinental champ, and was a fresh face. Everything seems different for him looking back on it. When he does his signature pose then, you can see the cockiness and it makes you want to hate him. Now, it's just a dumb taunt. The guy seemed more motivated also. He was heading to the top rope, taking bumps and seemed more athletic. He put on great matches with Taker, foley, benoit, HHH and more. Now, other than a few decent ones with Bryan I haven't really found any good matches with him. He seems so lazy. The one that seems to get on everyone's nerves the most is mic skills. Am I the only one who saw charisma when he played that gimmick? I feel like once he became the psycho viper character he has just become so boring on the stick.

The guy seemed so great and promising then to me, but now I just find him so bland. What is your take on him?

Reactions: @bigwwecritic

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I think nearly everyone believes that he became bland and boring (for the most part, anyway) starting around 2010 when his babyface run began. Nearly everyone loved his run as the Legend Killer and his role in Evolution. And even though Legacy was mostly a crap group, his run as The Viper was great. He was on fire in 2009 and was easily the most entertaining superstar on the roster that year imo.

I think to a large degree, he just doesn't care much anymore, as evidenced by the fact that he got two suspensions for drug violations (and word was when he received his 2012 suspension, it drove Vince crazy how apathetic Orton was towards it.) Plus, he hated being a babyface and begged to be a heel again for a long time and then when they finally turned him heel again, they made him into a whiny-ass type of villain who's complaining instead of resurrecting his Viper character in full. Word is, Orton is unhappy with his current situation and hasn't enjoyed this latest heel run at all. So, like I said, pretty unmotivated.

Crankdeer

The Showoff
Reaction score
I think nearly everyone believes that he became bland and boring (for the most part, anyway) starting around 2010 when his babyface run began. Nearly everyone loved his run as the Legend Killer and his role in Evolution. And even though Legacy was mostly a crap group, his run as The Viper was great. He was on fire in 2009 and was easily the most entertaining superstar on the roster that year imo.

I think to a large degree, he just doesn't care much anymore, as evidenced by the fact that he got two suspensions for drug violations (and word was when he received his 2012 suspension, it drove Vince crazy how apathetic Orton was towards it.) Plus, he hated being a babyface and begged to be a heel again for a long time and then when they finally turned him heel again, they made him into a whiny-ass type of villain who's complaining instead of resurrecting his Viper character in full. Word is, Orton is unhappy with his current situation and hasn't enjoyed this latest heel run at all. So, like I said, pretty unmotivated.
What do you expect from a Marine Corps drop out?

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Was a huge Orton mark until he turned face. Then he followed the Cena formula with 5 moves and not much else.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
What got me to first mark for him were his arm injury updates that would pop up during matches. Found those hilarious. This was pre-Evolution.

TheArabHammer

Don't call it a comeback
Reaction score
So after reading all this hate the dude has gotten, it's gotten me thinking. When did he just suddenly become so boring? Am I the only one who thinks that Orton during his Legend killer run was great?

The guy was such a good heel in 03-06 area. He was great as Intercontinental champ, and was a fresh face. Everything seems different for him looking back on it. When he does his signature pose then, you can see the cockiness and it makes you want to hate him. Now, it's just a dumb taunt. The guy seemed more motivated also. He was heading to the top rope, taking bumps and seemed more athletic. He put on great matches with Taker, foley, benoit, HHH and more. Now, other than a few decent ones with Bryan I haven't really found any good matches with him. He seems so lazy. The one that seems to get on everyone's nerves the most is mic skills. Am I the only one who saw charisma when he played that gimmick? I feel like once he became the psycho viper character he has just become so boring on the stick.

The guy seemed so great and promising then to me, but now I just find him so bland. What is your take on him?
Legend Killer Orton is my fav wrestler tbh, this Orton makes me cry inside wondering what the hell happened

Reactions: MsShield

@bigwwecritic

Jobber
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Creative is feeling the same way as we are. But i don't know where he can go from here. That old Orton is dead, we will never see the Legend Killer again!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Actually enjoyed him in 2010 just because he was a different kind of babyface (yeah he had the same boring Cena moveset but every babyface does) so he was a guy adults can actually enjoy for more than just cool moves amidst in a sea of John Cenas and Evan Bournes. Then as Lockard said he lost motivation, ever since his feud with Rhodes he hasn't been in a compelling program at all, and his booking and character development since turning heel has been nothing short of disasterous. It's no wonder Orton doesn't care.

MsShield

Jobber
Reaction score
I agree with Old Orton> New Orton. I was huge Orton Fan, until recently. and I also think he is the boring face. Even Orton looked bored being a face.

The Showstopper1

The Artiste
Reaction score
I honestly just think he needs to take some time off and let creative attempt to find a fresh/interesting character or storyline for him. I think he can be an amazing wrestler and entertainer, but like Lockard said he is just unmotivated.

Reactions: MsShield