Okada returns to Impact

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Kazuchika Okada will be returning to Impact in the near future. Dave Meltzer reports, "Okada is coming. I don’t know where or when, but he is officially coming."

When Okada first wrestled for TNA, he was treated as a comedic performer with a Kato gimmick. NJPW was furious with the way he was mistreated, they vowed to never work with TNA ever again. Impact officials apologized to New Japan execs in 2017 and promised never to book Okada like a job guy again.

Huge Name Joining NJPW/IMPACT/AEW Partnership (sescoops.com)

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Anyone in 2017 who would book Okada like a jobber would be deeply, deeply stupid

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
Anyone in 2017 who would book Okada like a jobber would be deeply, deeply stupid
I should've worded it better. I should've said, "When Okada first worked in TNA in 2010, they booked him as a comedic performer with a Kato gimmick. Several years later, Impact execs apologized to NJPW for the way Okada was treated when he first wrestled for TNA. They promised never to book Okada like a job guy again."

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I should've worded it better. I should've said, When Okada first worked in TNA in 2010, they booked him as a comedic performer with a Kato gimmick. Several years later, Impact execs apologized to NJPW for the way Okada was treated when he first wrestled for TNA. They promised never to book Okada like a job guy again.

Oh I was criticizing them, not you, just to verify :)

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Wasn't there a report that said he won't be coming to Impact, and his run in the US would likely see him going to AEW, instead.

IndyWrestler1

Banned
Reaction score
Karl Anderson made a tweet about it. He's not gonna be involved in a program obviously, NJPW can't miss him, so he's just gonna have a match with a dude he can beat just to show up once. Stuff like this gets overhyped.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Karl Anderson made a tweet about it. He's not gonna be involved in a program obviously, NJPW can't miss him, so he's just gonna have a match with a dude he can beat just to show up once. Stuff like this gets overhyped.
Yeah, but it's the grandeur of it that gets people hyped. I was watching a few of Tiger Mask's matches when he toured the US in the 80s, and it was totally weak shit compared to his Japanese stuff, but him going at 1 MPH still got massive ovations and reviews because the occasion of a worldwide superstar appearing, beating up Pete Sanchez was enough for the HYPE train.

Reactions: IndyWrestler1

IndyWrestler1

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's the grandeur of it that gets people hyped. I was watching a few of Tiger Mask's matches when he toured the US in the 80s, and it was totally weak shit compared to his Japanese stuff, but him going at 1 MPH still got massive ovations and reviews because the occasion of a worldwide superstar appearing, beating up Pete Sanchez was enough for the HYPE train.
Times are different now than they were in the 80s, but yeah, I agree the idea of Okada in Impact or in AEW will cause serious intrigue regardless of what he does and he is so great that it'll be good television. However, I saw Meltzer talk about a potential Okada/Omega match and I don't see Okada doing a program to actually feud with the AEW World Champion and build towards a match like that on an AEW PPV.