Official UFC 124: St. Pierre vs. Koscheck II Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

pumpt73

Reaction score
Ok fans, UFC 124 is right around the corner on December 11 in Montreal, Quebec. The long awaited 170lb title defence (for the French Canadians out there), will be contested between powerhouse champ, Georges St. Pierre, and the fighter everyone loves to hate, Josh Koscheck. This is the fighters second meeting with their first being at UFC 74 in 2007. A fight in which St. Pierre won via Unanimous Decision. So, here's the card, discuss, debate, and predict who you think will win, who you think will lose, and who you think may not have a job after this event!!!!

MAIN EVENT, For the UFC WORLD WELTERWEIGHT (170lbs) CHAMPIONSHIP

Champion: Georges "Rush" St. Pierre 20-2, 15-2 UFC vs. Challenger: Josh "Kos" Koscheck 15-4, 13-4 UFC

Heavyweights: Sean "Big Sexy" Mc Corkle 10-0, 1-0 UFC vs. Stefan "Skyscraper" Struve 20-4, 4-2 UFC

Lightweights: Jim Miller 18-2, 7-1 UFC vs. Charles "da Bronx" Oliveira 14-0, 2-0 UFC

Lightweights: Mac Danzig 19-8-1, 3-4 UFC vs. Joe "Daddy" Stevenson 31-11, 8-5 UFC

Welterweights: Thiago "Pitbull" Alves 17-7, 9-4 UFC vs. John "Doomsday" Howard 14-5, 4-1 UFC

PRELIMINARY CARD

Lightweight: Mark Bocek 8-3, 4-3 UFC vs. Dustin "McLovin" Hazelett 12-6, 5-4 UFC

Middleweights: Jesse "Water" Bongfeldt 21-7, UFC DEBUT (All wins via Submission or TKO/KO) vs. Rafael "Sapo" Natal 12-3, 0-1 UFC

Welterweights: Sean Pierson 10-4 UFC DEBUT (All wins via Submission or TKO/KO) vs. Matthew Riddle 5-1, 5-1 UFC

Middleweights: Joe "El Dirte" Doerksen 46-13, 2-6 UFC vs. Dan Miller 12-4, 4-3 UFC

Welterweights: Ricardo "Cahorrao" Almeida 12-4, 5-4 UFC vs. TJ Grant 16-4, 3-2 UFC

Lightweights: Pat "Awesomely Awesome" Audinwood 9-1-1, 0-1 UFC vs. John "The Bull" Makdessi 7-0, UFC DEBUT

Reaction score
I really like Mac Danzig, but he has been doing absolutely horrible in the last two years in the UFC. He desperately needs a win.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Well, his last fight with Matt Wiman was one of the worst stoppages in MMA history. The ref thought Danzig had gone limp, but didn't look close to see he was just relaxing his body. Wiman didn't even have the choke fully sunk in and you could see that Mac wasn't turning red or anything and the ref called the bout. Even Wiman knew it was a premature stoppage, but it wasn't his fault. If Mac can score a win on Stevenson it would be a huge step in the right direction for him. Stevenson is coming off fight of the night honors against George Sotiropolous. Im saying it right now, Josh Koscheck, NEW UFC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION!!!!

Reaction score
With all of the trash talking that Kos has been doing, I see GSP wanting to make an example of him. I see St. Pierre submitting Kos in the 3rd or 4th.

Reaction score
I'm really curious how GSP VS Koscheck turns out. I'm sure just about everybody is giving the victory to GSP, but, Koscheck is always improving, and has shown that he's not just some fighter that got lucky. He's not one of my all time fav. fighters, but, he's definitley someone I enjoy watching. I think i'll have to give the victory to Koscheck by KO/TKO in the 3rd minute of the 3rd round.

pumpt73

Reaction score
The first fight wasn't bad at all. I will say this now, Kos has to have the camp of his life. It should be interesting to see how good GSP's wrestling truly is. I've heard pundit after pundit say he's got the best wrestling in all of MMA. Well, I will say this right now, Josh Koscheck is the best wrestler that St. Pierre has faced. He's better than Hughes, he's better than Fitch, and he's got the credentials to back it up. He attended Edinboro which is one of the better colleges for amateur wrestling and never placed lower than 4th Nationally including a 42-0 National Championship as Junior and National Runner Up as a Senior. Aside from Ben Askren, Koscheck, pound for pound is probably the best wrestler in all of MMA.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Ok kos is coming off two pathetically bad wins which triumphs gsps cage rust and his inability to finish dan hardy. Pierres fight to lose but I don't see that happening. This tuf has proven how genuine iof a character he has and what kind of people he surrounds himself with (freddie roach his ju jitsu coach annd greg jackson) he's proven he's open to suggestion while still reserving his judgement. Which trumps all the greg jackson brain wash crap. Kos has shown he puts his brain on the shelf and works ridiculously hard to half ass speak will ferrels semi pro. He drills a routine so much where it becomes his vomit play. Whereas GSP is past that and is looking to open up . Unless kos hits hard and he's been given the chance to prove it with AJ and daley inwhich instead of showing the evolution into a finisher he showed a evolution of what a round fighter is

pumpt73

Reaction score
Good points Colin, glad to see you back bro. Kos has steadily improved his standup over the years. Now he's not a KO fighter by any means, but he has a solid chin and his control is second to none. I just want to see Koscheck win so badly so all the haters hate even more. Nothing against GSP, I have mad respect for him, but if anyone at 170 has the tools to beat him, it's Kos.

Reaction score
What is everyone's biggest surprise of the night?

Stevenson getting knocked out by Danzig so early in the 1st round is mind.

Where does GSP go from here now?

Reaction score
Yeah, Danzig definitely surprised the hell out of me. That was a perfectly timed punch. I always thought that Stevenson had a pretty good chin, too.

Another thing that surprised me is that John Howard was able to take so much punishment from Thiago Alves and still be standing at the end.

I think that GSP will probably end up facing the winner of Jon Fitch vs. BJ Penn. I think it's safe to say that he's all but cleaned out the welterweight division.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Well, from here, I think you'll see at least 1 more defense at 170. Fitch has more than earned a rematch. 5 straight victories. Granted all by Decision, but it's not like GSP has finished anyone in his last 3. The only way I would support a guy moving up a weight is if the belt is surrendered. I don't agree with these damn superfights between champions anymore. It's too hard to earn a title shot as it is. If GSP wants to fight at 185, then do it, and let the guys at 170 battle it out over the next champion. If not, put the strap back on the line once more against Fitch. Ghono, Thiago, Pierce, Alves, and Saunders all have fallen to him. 13-1 in the UFC and his only loss is to GSP. Fitch is still the number 2 Welterweight in the World right now. And he's more than deserving of one more crack. I say if GSP beats Fitch once more, then vacate the 170lb title and move to 185.

Reaction score
Pumpt, you gotta remember that this is all provided that Fitch beats BJ Penn at UFC 127 in Sydney. Plus, you gotta think that Jake Shields is in the mix as well.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Ah, I had no idea that Fitch/Penn was official. If Fitch wins and they don't give him 1 more crack, Im boycotting the UFC the rest of the year!!!!! I hear ya on Shields. Fans pissed and moaned about his fight with Kamp, but fans forgot, it was Martin Kampmann, not some Joe Shomoe. With Shields getting so gassed late in that fight, he may have to pull at least 2 more wins. I would like to see Shields vs Alves or Shields vs Hughes.