NXT ‣

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

White Rhyno

Reaction score
Sooooooooooo, I posted this in Aussie Anarchy's NXT thread.

:owens3

I'm really glad to see you post a show LG

* As always, the layout is gorgeous. Great use of graphics and color

* Your character work is spot on ... I really enjoyed LA Knights and Candice's spots. Very authentic and entertaining

* Bobby Fish and Timothy Thatcher are two of my favorite workers. The idea you're going to be using them moving forward is a good thing.

* Joes DQ is a great character twist...He really tried to kill him. Nice.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Sooooooooooo, I posted this in Aussie Anarchy's NXT thread.

:owens3

I'm really glad to see you post a show LG

* As always, the layout is gorgeous. Great use of graphics and color

* Your character work is spot on ... I really enjoyed LA Knights and Candice's spots. Very authentic and entertaining

* Bobby Fish and Timothy Thatcher are two of my favorite workers. The idea you're going to be using them moving forward is a good thing.

* Joes DQ is a great character twist...He really tried to kill him. Nice.

Thank you! I know that I’ve left a bit of a gap which may be to my detriment in terms of readership but I’m glad to be back into the swing of things and have a renewed sense of vigour.

Really want to try and balance the show quality with the aesthetic but must admit, getting into the whole GFX side of things has given me a new creative process that I really enjoy.

I’m still trying to work on balancing the length, so some promos might be formatted in script and others in an overview, so really pleased to hear that some character voices are coming across. I’m glad you’re enjoying Fish and Thatcher, I enjoy both of them too and felt like they could’ve achieved more than they did.

Always glad to hear from you! Thanks for your review.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deco90

Deco90

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Been eagerly anticipating your next show, LG. I'm glad it's finally arrived and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Here we go!

NXT: END OF THE LINE [EPISODE #464] - REVIEW:

- So, right out of the gate - the new look NXT is beautiful. The GFX and your presentation is always spot on mate.

- I appreciated the video package which served as a good recap from the previous episode. Been a little while so it was a nice remainder of all that went down on that action packed show.

Hyped for the show to come! Can't believe we're getting Balor vs Joe on tonight's show! LFG! :D Excited to see what NXT under the McGuinness regime brings.

- Really fun opening match! I loved the little touch of the shopping cart Haha! Gave me that Hardcore title nostalgia. I'm glad Dexter picked up the win and he looks like he's been accepted fully by Johnny Gargano, and thus The Way. I'm looking forward to seeing how the relationships develops over time.

- Dunne vowing there's going to be some "serious changes" - Interesting!

- Brief, but I liked the small snippet from O'Reilly backstage reflecting on his match with Adam Cole. Cole also leaving on a stretcher and it appears that like IRL - He's probs done with NXT and is about to become #AllElite Bay-Bay!

- Fun promo from the ladies. I really liked your portrayal of Candice here and the dynamic between Candice, indi & Persia. I really like Kayden & Kacy IRL so I'm good with the prospect of this feud.

- The Champ, Champ is here! Really big fan of Bronson but I remember being really shocked when you had him beat Karrion Kross. I'm not mad at it though, because I think he was on the protectory IRL before his release. Really intrigued to see how you manage him carrying both Championships though.

Well.. A lot to unpack in this promo exchange with Bronson & LA Knight. So, I really liked the Reed promo and just acknowledging his humble beginnings, very generic face, but also fitting considering his achievement. LA Knight coming out and playing the heel so well here but what I really liked was your portrayal of Nigel McGuinnes and instantly showing he's going to run this ship differently to William Regal. Takeover emanating from Las Vegas, oh boy! Gimme that! I loved the name of High Stakes. The only thing that got me a little unsure was all the Championships on the line. I mean, there's no higher stakes then that so it's suits the occasion for sure but I'm not sure I want to see either man holding all three belts currently.

- Ooo, I like the look of that potential Elektra Lopez group. Mercedes picks up the win though and 'Big Mami Cool' coming down to make the save was all good with me.

- Great promo from Samoa Joe! Really liked this. "I'm gonna have to kill you.." - Good stuff. Need that 'killer' Samoa Joe back!

- Man, what a way to sell that mist attack from Mei Ying & Tian Sha - This was awesome! Really liked this LG, very creative and it makes Tian Sha look a real danger. I feel like they had a lot of potential as a group IRL that wasn't fully utilized if at all to what it could have been so I'm excited to see how creative you can get with the group and the gimmick.

- NXT Cruiserweight Championship up next! Small little details always go far with me, and you just having the crowd acknowledge and repeat the "One Fall!" from the crowd was nice Haha! Good showing from Mansoor but the right move to keep the title on the 'Time Splitter' and have KUSHIDA pick up the win! Nice little spotlight for Ari Sterling making the save from Imperium.

- Money in the Bank! Again, small details but I like the acknowledgement of the wider 'WWE Universe'

- HIIITTTT ROOOOWWWWW! Man, I loved NXT Hit Row but it's not the same without 'Swerve' - So once more, another creation I'm excited to see what you do with and how far they could go. MSK vs Hit Row could be fun!

- Loving this direction for Bobby Fish. Gripped me from the start and it's got me even more hyped for him after this victory. The theme, the name change of the move to the Final Act. Good stuff mate!

- Nice exchange from LA Knight & Thatcher - I really liked how in such a short exchange, they acknowledged the truths of the system, and the Million Dollar Championship not being acknowledged by WWE without anything feeling cheap or a throwaway.

- No issue with Franky Monet and her friends coming out and disrupting the next match. Keeps a lot of people involved and also keeps the feuds ticking along. All good with me.

- Like Joe previously, I enjoyed this promo from Balor and with the two respective promos, it feels as it is, a big deal of a match!

- MAIN EVENT TIME! Really good job with the build up, and the entrances. I loved the added touch of the 'tale of the tape' being added to the GFX to make the occasion feel like an even bigger deal.

Great match! I wanted that KILLA SAMOA JOE AND I GOT IT! Good stuff here mate. Really felt like one of these two was going to have to be a big heel and you've gone with the right choice. Has me already thinking of the prospect of seeing Bronson Reed vs Samoa Joe down the line and that could be so damn good. Ending the show with the "Why Joe? Why?" makes it feel like true episodic TV and I'm totally fine with that. A lot of reasons to tune in for the next show that's for sure!

Overall; Beautiful presentation! Matches all delivered. A good array of different talent being used and while it's starting to feel like a new NXT, it looks like you're keeping the core of what many loved about NXT too! Good stuff mate! :)

Love the concept of "What's NeXT?" - Again man, your GFX and presentation is always so good. Excited to check out more, starting with Evolve!

• Love
Reactions: Looking Glass

Looking Glass

Reaction score
00-NXT-Evolve-2.png

NXT EVOLVE [EPISODE #02]THURSDAY 15 JULY, 2021
CAPITOL PERFORMANCE CENTER ‣ ORLANDO, FLORIDA

After a tumultuous Tuesday this past week on NXT, the action continues into the second episode of Evolve. The question of why Samoa Joe turned and attacked Finn Bálor at the end of their match would have to wait for now as tonight we highlight the best and freshest talent of NXT. Kevin Patrick and Wade Barrett welcome us to tonight’s show.

Meanwhile, Guru Raaj looks to wow the NXT Universe in his debut, but first, he must take down the returning “Beast” Killian Dain. This past Tuesday night, Imperium ambushed Kushida following another successful defence of the Cruiserweight Championship, but tonight they’ll be in tag team action against Dante Chen and Ru Feng. Finally, in tonight’s main event, a frustrated Timothy Thatcher will test himself against Tyler Breeze as he looks to force his way into championship contention.

Divider.png

First, it’s women’s tag team action as we get a flashback to a digital exclusive, in which Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro accused the NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions, Indi Hartwell and Candice LeRae of ducking challenges. “The Poison Pixie” would try to assert her authority by belittling Team Ninja, but tonight the pair look set to put their mark on the division and prove that they’ve got skills beyond social media.

Back in the ring, Dennis Arnell introduces us to their opponents, Jamie Frost and Skyler Storey. This would act as Storey’s official debut with the brand after various guest spots between 2018-2020. The former Brandi Lauren (also known to some as Ava Storie) stood alongside Frost, better known as Lady Frost, who had not officially been signed. Frost had appeared as fodder for former NXT Women’s Champion, Asuka, back in 2018 and had since become known for her work in AEW, NWA and Impact Wrestling. The pair had a standoffish presence, both failing to try and engage with the crowd and instead tuning them out, which didn’t go down well.

However, upon hearing the countdown of “The Life of the Party”, the Capitol Wrestling Center soon get into the spirit of things.

The energetic duo come out from behind the curtain and immediately looks to the crowd, feeding off of the energy before Kacy jumps onto the back of her tag team partner, who carries her down the ramp. The pair stop and pose before breaking into dance, much to the chagrin of their opponents. Kevin asks Wade if Kacy and Kayden are the dark horses of the women’s tag team division, to which Barrett points out that things have been reaching a fever pitch after The Brand and Toni Storm got themselves involved in Zoey Stark & Sarray’s match against Tegan Nox and Shotzi – meaning that Kacy and Kayden need to do everything they can to make sure they’re standing out amongst the competition. Kevin says that a win here tonight could help put their name on the list but Wade agrees with Candice LeRae’s previous statements and questions whether they’re ready for such a big opportunity.

Team-Ninja-vs-Jamie-Frost-Skyler-Storey.png

In the ring, both Kacy and Kayden extend their hands as a sign of respect, but Jamie looks to Skyler and laughs before walking to her corner. Kayden and Kacy shake their heads in disappointment and head to their corner of the ring as the referee calls for the bell, but as soon as their back is turned, Storey immediately grabs Carter by the hair and drags her to the mat. Catanzaro argues with the referee, inadvertently causing a distraction that allows Storey to bend the rules to her advantage as she grabs and hyperextends Kayden’s forearms, stretching her as knowingly stands on her hair.

Referee, Aja Smith, turns around but Storey breaks the holds and lifts Carter for a snapmare to continue her advantage, she then runs the ropes hitting a basement bicycle kick and goes for a quick cover.

ONE

TWO

KICKOUT!

There’s still live in Kayden Carter yet. This time, it’s Storey who argues with the referee, while Frost heckles Smith’s counting ability from the corner. Storey throws Carter into her corner, initially looking like she was going for the tag, but instead, she spins her opponent around and seats her on the top turnbuckle. Frost holds Carter in position but receives an elbow for her efforts, taking her off the apron, she turns to Storey and tries to kick her back but Skyler grabs the foot and pulls Kayden forward into a reverse tree of woe position. Storey makes some room and hits a running dropkick to the back of Kayden Carter, going for another cover.

ONE

TWO

NO!

Storey looks angered again as Kacy begins to look panicked on the outside, not anticipating them to be on the defence in this match. Wade says that this is exactly why The Way doesn’t look at Team Ninja as credible contenders but Patrick says that the pair have been tagging for some time now and are perhaps the most tenured team in the division.

Skyler Storey attempts the suplex but Kayden Carter fights back, dropping down and instead hitting a neckbreaker. The crowd get onside of Team Ninja, with Kacy motivating her tag team partner from the apron. Storey is back to her feet and tries to regain the advantage with a forearm but Carter ducks under and springboards from the second rope with a dropkick of her own. Carter turns to find Storey laid out across the ropes and facewashes her with another kick. Cater makes the tag to Catanzaro, who comes into the ring and aids Kayden in walking the top rope when Jamie Frost rushes into the ring and drags Skyler Storey into her corner, saving her from an uncertain fate. The crowd boo as Jamie Frost gets back to the apron and tags herself in, with the two fresh women now in the match.

Kacy catches Frost with a double knee facebreaker, who tries to retreat in the corner, only for Catanzaro to come charging with a clothesline! Frost immediately rolls to the outside to avoid the attack but as Catanzaro goes to follow her, she’s distracted by Skyler Storey, allowing Jamie Frost to trip Kacy face-first onto the hardest part of the ring. Frost drags Kacy to the outside as the referee’s count continues, before heading back into the ring herself where she poses and mocks Kayden Carter.

Carter gets a little feisty, prompting Aja Smith to get between the pair, and all the while Skyler Storey snap suplexes Catanzaro on the outside. Frost exits the ring once again when Carter runs around the apron and hits a cannonball to both of her opponents on the outside.

Kayden aids Kacy in rolling Frost back into the ring, with Catanzaro getting back into the match with a Hilo over the top rope, following up with a standing corkscrew splash and a cover…

ONE

TWO

NO!

Frost gets the shoulder up to stay alive. Catanzaro follows her with a running hurricarana to send Frost across the ring. The tag is made to Carter as Kacy runs up to her partner, who assists her in hitting a cassadora splash onto their opponent. Carter delivers a kick to the side of the head and Catanzaro comes over the ropes with another hilo before rolling out of the ring – Carter covers! But only manages a two-count. Kayden begins to look frustrated but Barrett says that she needs to keep focus as Storey and Frost have proved to be quite the crafty opponents, seizing any opportunity they get to get creative with the rules. Frost is once again in the corner as Kayden charges with the running knees….

BUT SHE MISSES!

Step-up kick by Jamie Frost, followed by a BRIDGING FISHERMAN SUPLEX!

ONE

TWO

Catanzaro hits a splash to break the move when Skyler Storey takes her out with a rolling cutter. Storey then rolls Kacy to the outside, where they continue to do battle. Noticing that Carter is floored, Jamie Frost steps over her and heads to the top rope, looking for the moonsault or as she calls it, the Temperature Drop! However, Frost performs to the crowd just a beat too long and comes off the top rope, crashing to the mat. Carter cartwheels into the sidekick as Storey now rushes the ring, the two women exchanging some stern words, Catanzaro hops up onto the apron and grabs Storey, holding her in place as Carter hits a dropkick right to the midsection. Frost is trying to get back to her feet but Kacy makes her way back to the corner and calls for the tag…

THE TAG IS MADE!

Catanzaro goes to the high-risk district, while Carter gets Frost into a neckbreaker position. Kevin Patrick says we’re about to see one of the most innovative moves in all of sports entertainment.

450 SPLASH/NECKBREAKER COMBINATION!

Catanzaro hooks the leg! One…two…three…this one is over!

DENNIS ARNELL
“Here are your winners, via pinfall….Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro!”

Commentary takes us to the replay to see that beautiful tag team finisher once more. Barrett said that the match appeared to be harder for Team Ninja than they may have anticipated and suggested that this should be a wake-up call not to underestimate The Way. Kevin Patrick argues that Kacy and Kayden are the ones being underestimated and they proved it here tonight. As we return from the replay, Kacy and Kayden are dancing around the ring when…

Candice LeRae, Indi Hartwell and Persia Pirotta make their way out! Carter and Catanzaro look at each other, exchanging glances as if they had been waiting for this moment their whole career. LeRae leads the pack as they head towards the ring while Kacy and Kayden prepare to do battle…

But The Way stops?...

Candice turns to her co-champion and Pirotta and shakes her head, looking back to the ring and saying “not tonight” as she lets out a laugh and turns back around. The trio depart to a chorus of boos while Kacy and Kayden look disappointed that they didn’t get to encounter the champions the way they had hoped. Barrett summarises that the champions have taken notice but don’t seem to be too threatened, while Kevin Patrick states that the walls are closing in on the NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions.

Divider.png

Still to come, will the lullaby of woe be sung tonight as a new-look Killian Dain faces newcomer Guru Raaj?

We cut backstage where “The Beast of Belfast” is seen walking the halls when he stops and turns, the cameras pan over to Timothy Thatcher training for his main event match. Thatcher catches wind of Dain’s attention and pauses what he’s doing, no words are exchanged but there’s a definite sense of tension. Thatcher resumes his training as Dain proceeds to walk on.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Divider.png

Backstage, Chase Parker and Matt Martel of Ever-Rise are on-set of their YouTube exclusive show, Ever-Rise Live, where they welcome the Evolve audience as new ‘friends of the show’. Parker and Martel introduce themselves, holding up Ever-Rise sponsored mugs to emphasise the name and run down the skeleton staff helping them put the show together (including Austin the intern, whose exact duties remain unknown). Parker says that they are starting this very special edition of the show with an exclusive, to which Martel says they are not just talking about their new range of merchandise available on ShopWWE.

Parker announces that the word of the week is ‘reinvention’:

“The action or process through which something is changed so much that it appears to be entirely new.”

Martel announces that next week on NXT, they have an opportunity to reinvent themselves when they take on NXT Tag Team Champions, MSK, in a non-title match. He says that the reason this is key is that he doesn’t think the NXT Universe has truly gotten to know the real Matt Martel or Chase Parker. Parker continues that while everyone may be trying to reinvent themselves in the new era of NXT, they realise that what the fans were seeing before was nothing more than an obnoxious caricature of who they actually wanted to be.

All of sudden, Malcolm Bivens appears from out of nowhere, much to the annoyance of the duo. Bivens, who had previously been in their corner during a trios match loss to Hit Row, sits between Ever-Rise and congratulates them on their opportunity. Bivens says that they need to sort their phones out because he has been trying to contact them for a while now and he doesn’t like to be kept waiting around. Parker says that they’ve got the calls but they’re not interested in doing deals with the devil.

Bivens reminds them that he isn’t a glorified cheerleader but a media mogul, and talent agent who can take Ever-Rise to the next level ahead of their big match. Martel makes a jab, asking how Bivens’ services were working out for Tyler Rust, whose fortunes had taken a downward turn as of late. Bivens declines to answer and wishes the pair good luck next week, saying that they were really going to need it.

Angered by his comments, Martel says he can’t go on with the show and storms off set, leaving Parker to call an early end to this special broadcast of Ever-Rise Live.

Divider.png

We see highlights from this week’s episode of NXT, in which the new NXT Champion, Bronson Reed, called out LA Knight for involving himself at End of the Line. Knight dismissed the new champion and claimed that the new era of NXT should be built around him. However, he was caught off guard when “The Colossal” challenged him to a title match. The new General Manager, Nigel McGuinness, however, had his own ideas as he announced that the next Takeover would be held in none other than Las Vegas, Nevada! To mark such an occasion, the event – dubbed High Stakes – would feature both Knight and Reed putting all their titles (NXT, North American and Million Dollar) on the line in one of the biggest winner-takes-all matches in wrestling history.

Wade and Kevin confirm that they have just received word that Nigel McGuinness has a new update on Takeover: High Stakes, which will look no doubt continue to keep the Universe on the edge of its seat.

Divider.png

The bell tolls to bring us into the next bout. Dennis Arnell is back in the ring as the generic beat of “Street Mystic” begins to play.

DENNIS ARNELL

“This next bout is set for one fall, with a ten-minute time limit. Introducing first, from Bandia, India, weighing 209 pounds…Guru Raaj!”

Guru Raaj makes his way out to an encouraging reaction from the crowd. We are taken back to the start of the year when Raaj stepped up to face then-NXT Champion, Finn Bálor at the Superstar Spectacle. Kevin Patrick says Raaj is no stranger to taking risks but Barrett says that there’s a difference between taking risks and being out of your depth.

“The Beast of Belfast” plays out as an aggressive Killian Dain charges out from behind the curtain, laser-focused on his opponent. Barrett notes that we have not seen Dain since he was Killer Kross’ pick to take on Bronson Reed in a Pick Your Poison match, in which “The Beast” put Reed through his paces. Since then, Dain has lived up to the energy of Evolve and advanced his look, and his aggression and is here tonight to unleash this revived intensity.

DENNIS ARNELL

“And his opponent, hailing from Belfast, Northern Ireland and weighing in at 322 pounds…”The Beast of Belfast” Killian Dain!”

Referee, D.A. Brewer, has to physically step in the way of Dain as he stares at a rather intimidated Raaj across the ring. Brewer slowly backs off and calls for the bell.

Killian-Dain-vs-Guru-Raaj.png

Guru Raaj takes a deep breath and quickly attempts to lock in a headlock but Dain delivers an elbow to the midsection. Dain throws Raaj into the ropes and hits a thunderous body block. Dain continues his focus but doesn’t immediately go in on the attack, instead, he allows Raaj to get back to his feet and recuperate in the corner when out of nowhere – BODY AVALANCHE IN THE CORNER! But wait, Raaj manages to duck out of the way in time and instead runs up, looking to seize his opportunity…

But Dain manages to scoop to catapult him over onto the apron, where Raaj, fortunately, manages to land on his feet. Feeling ambitious, he springboards back into the ring, looking for a Thesz Press but nobody is home as Dain dodges the move, then catches Raaj with a big-time running crossbody!

Dain begins to laugh, scooping Raaj into a fireman’s carry into a Wasteland! Much to the delight of Wade Barrett on commentary, who encourages him to pin Raaj as ‘no one kicks out of a Wasteland’. Instead, Dain follows up with a running senton and immediately gets to his feet for a VADER BOMB!

Kevin Patrick puts over the speed of “The Beast of Belfast” given his size as Dain hooks the leg for an easy three.

Brewer raises Dain’s arm in victory as he looks down at the fallen Guru Raaj. Dain throws Brewer’s arm down and drags Raaj back to his feet setting him up for a…

POWERBOMB!

Dain looks straight at the camera with a deranged expression as the referee demands he leaves. Barrett says that this is how you reinvent yourself in NXT, while Kevin Patrick reluctantly disagrees. We come back from the replay to see Dain slowly making his way to the back, having made a clear statement that he was back to dominate.

Divider.png

The following text appears on-screen…

DIAMONDS ARE MADE…

UNDER PRESSURE.

Despite the familiarity, it had been some time since we had seen any reference to The Diamond Mine, with reports even stating that the idea had been scrapped. This time, the vignettes seem darker, with shots of spit and sawdust-styled fight club (think Raw Underground). A silhouette of a figure is seen, sporting a Diamond Mine hoodie. The camera follows the unknown figure from behind towards a steel structure with an open top. We cut to the figure standing in the centre of the ring surrounded by the structure as the camera does a 360 pan around them, though they face down at the mat to avoid their face being shown. From behind, we see the figure grab the hood and pull it back, revealing what appears to be a bald man. Slowly, the camera travels around to try and get a good look at the fact when…

We cut to black.

COMING SOON…

Divider.png

Backstage, Ikemen Jiro and August Grey are hanging out when an excitable Drake Maverick approaches them both. Since Grey and Jiro had tagged with the former 205 Live GM in a trios match against Legado del Fantasma (which they lost after he tagged himself in), Maverick seemed to have found himself as a thorn in the pair’s side. Maverick acknowledges that he hasn’t been the best lucky charm for the tag team but says that’s all about to change. “Retro AG” asks Maverick to slow down and explain what is happening, to which he explains that he pulled a favour with his fellow countryman Nigel McGuinness and got the duo a tag team match, promising that he won’t have any bearing on the outcome of the match this time. Jiro and Grey look sceptically at each other, with Jiro asking who the match is against. Maverick attempts to answer when from around the corner appears Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari.

Daivari says it was bold of them to want to wrestle him and Nese, given that they weren’t just Premier Athletes but the hottest commodities in NXT because they make things happen for themselves (although Maverick is quick to correct them and say that he suggested it). Nese explains that he and Ari have their sights set on the NXT Tag Team Championships and that Jiro and Grey would make excellent opponents for them to steamroll over. “Retro AG” accepts the challenge and says that he and Jiro aren’t easy prey and that they too are fighting towards tag gold. Nese scoffs and says that they are not worthy of competing for the titles, just the same as how the “dollar store rap artists” Hit Row don’t deserve the opportunity.

An overexcited Maverick says that his team do deserve recognition over them because Nese has the personality of unseasoned chicken and Daivari wears fake gold (referring to his chain). Jiro and Grey are left cringing at the hole Maverick is digging for them and as Daivari – in particular – takes offence to the Brit’s cutting words, Nese says Maverick is lucky he’ll have front-row seats next week when he and Daivari prove him wrong. Jiro and Grey breathe a sigh of relief to come out of the conversation unscathed as an oblivious Maverick asks the pair if he did a good job in helping them, clearly trying to overcompensate for his sins of the past.

Still to come tonight, Imperium in tag team action and Timothy Thatcher does battle with NXT veteran, Tyler Breeze.

COMMERCIAL BREAK
Divider.png

Wade Barrett
and Kevin Patrick welcome the NXT Universe back to Evolve, once again putting over tonight’s main event before we cut to a video package from “Prince Pretty” himself, Tyler Breeze.

TYLER BREEZE
“Coming back to NXT was a huge risk for me.” We see highlights of Breeze’s time on the main roster. “Being on Raw and SmackDown is a whole new playing field. You can sit back, relax and get paid for it, but that’s not the kind of wrestler that Dango and I want to be.” We are shown footage of Breezango’s return in 2019, culminating with their NXT Tag Team title victory a year later. “But in NXT, you can’t sit back and relax, you have to keep on being featured, being visible, so I get why Timothy Thatcher is so frustrated. Every single one of us is at Nigel McGuinness’ door thinking we are the ones who are going to be the face of his new era and guess what? That’s not going to happen – but if there’s one thing I have, it’s a good face.” He smiles for the cameras. “People look at me and they forget that I was one of the pillars of the black and gold era – they think of Joe, they think of Finn, they think of Owens but they always forget about Tyler. They forget that I was the man, who took WWE Hall of Famer, Jushin Liger to the limit. Tonight is my opportunity to remind the world of this face, this talent can do.”

An inspired Breeze looks to reclaim his former glory but to get there, he has to take on a technical beast. Tune in later to see which man will come out on top.

Divider.png

Back at ringside, Dennis Arnell introduces the next match as a tag team bout as the NXT Universe ready themselves for the penultimate match of the evening.

The team of Ru Feng and Dante Chen are introduced first, with an emphasis being placed on the fact that Chen is the first-ever Singaporean and Southeast Asian signing in WWE history. There’s a slight contrast in personalities, with Chen being a lot more of the typical babyface while Feng was more reserved in his character. Tonight, both men would have to work together in harmony if they were to pose any challenge to one of the soundest tag teams in NXT.

Suddenly, the lights go out, and the fans know what’s coming next as the silhouette of Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel is seen on the titantron. The two men appear, standing to attention, representing Imperium.

Kevin Patrick points out that for two men, who look to bring honour to everything they do, they acted dishonourably on Tuesday when they double-teamed NXT Cruiserweight Champion, Kushida, following his victory against Mansoor. Barrett argues that Imperium was grabbing the brass knuckles, which is the common trend backstage in this new era of NXT. He also adds that Kushida has built up a winning streak, which every cruiserweight in the back wants to break.

As Aichner and Barthel pose in the ring, we are reminded that this is a tag team bout, as Patrick ponders how it would work if both men want the title. Barrett reminds us of the days of Lay-Cool, in which both talents acted as co-champions and jovially commented that he could see Imperium doing the same. Patrick didn’t seem sold on the idea of Aichner and Barthel as ‘bestie champs’ and says that Ari Sterling may prove a roadblock for them. Barrett says Sterling wants a title shot just as much as Imperium does and calls him a snake in the grass that Kushida should be keeping an eye on.

We briefly cut backstage to see “The Exclamation Point” Ari Sterling watch the match on a monitor. Barrett wonders whether he’s lying in wait to play the hero once again as the referee calls for the bell.

Imperium-vs-Ru-Feng-Dante-Chen.png

Aichner immediately takes Ru Feng down with a clothesline, turning and warning Dante Chen to stay out of the ring before turning his attention back to the legal man. Feng is whipped into the corner, where he receives a running shoulder tackle, which is then neatly transitioned into a back body drop. The Italian native begins to showboat before the crowd, standing to attention as Bathel on the apron mirrors this action. This pause allows Feng to play possum and hit Aichner with a jawbreaker before getting in some blows to the midsection. Aichner catches the wrist and takes Feng into the corner but this time “The Chinese Dragon” floats over and hits a side headlock takedown, receiving some support from the crowd. Aichner sits himself up, only to receive a penalty kick to the small of the back as Chen holds out his hand, looking for the tag.

TAG!

Dante Chen comes in hot, looking to impress in his debut as he hits Aichner with a running forearm smash, following up with a big body splash in the corner. A lack of ring awareness causes Chen to wonder close towards Imperium territory as it looks like Chen is sizing Aichner up for the pump kick when he is tapped on the shoulder by Marcel Barthel. Chen tries to shrug this off but as he goes for the kick, Aichner catches the leg and clubs him to the mat, picking him back up for a fallaway slam. The tag is then made to Barthel as Imperium stomp away at the Singaporean Star in the corner. Barrett says that Chen and Feng has been tasked with facing one of the most sophisticated and technical teams on the entire roster. Patrick says that Chen needs to find an opening to get back into the match.

Barthel hands Chen upside down on the ropes before tagging Aichner back into the match. Aichner heads to the outside and runs around the ring delivering a synchronised dropkick alongside Barthel. The legs are hooked…

ONE

TWO

NO!

Chen manages to lift the shoulder off the match while Aichner tags Barthel back into the match. Kevin Patrick begins to state that Kushida could be in a lot of trouble if he’s put in a position where he has to take on both members of Imperium given their tandem ability. Barrett comments that the Cruiserweight limit was increased from 205 lbs to 220 lbs, which makes both members of Imperium eligible to challenge. “Bad News” agrees with his broadcast colleague and goes back to the earlier point saying that Imperium are meticulous and would already have a plan, so no matter which one of them is holding the belt, the title would be elevated instantly.

Barthel connects with an enzuigiri in the corner before bring Chen to the center of the ring, looking for a swinging DDT when out of nowhere, Chen manages to transition the attempt into an inside cradle!

ONE

TWO

BUT BARTHEL KICKS OUT!
Using such force that he sends Chen crashing into his own tag team partner, knocking Feng off of the apron. Chen attempts the back elbow but is blocked and hit with The Landungsprücken and makes a tag to Fabian Aichner. Barthel begins to ascend to the top rope, while Aichner sets Chen up in a powerbomb position…

BARTHEL HITS THE EUROPEAN UPPERCUT!

AICHNER EXECUTES THE POWERBOMB!

The crowd are wowed at the devastating Imperial Bomb as Aichner makes the cover, while Barthel stands with one arm behind his back, looking out to make sure Ru Feng was out of action.

ONE

TWO

THREE!

It’s over! We cut backstage where Ari Sterling reluctantly gives the pair kudos with a begrudging clap. Meanwhile, back in the ring, Aichner and Barthel toss Chen out of the ring as they pose in the middle of the ring, having displayed their dominance and prowess. Of course, we know that Sterling was watching but how Kushida would respond be remain to be seen.

Divider.png

Mackenzie Mitchell is joined by Carmelo Hayes in the interview pit, where she congratulates him on being one of the first men to compete on NXT Evolve and the first man to win a match. Hayes says he’s been fortunate in NXT to make some career highlights for himself, whether it was being able to step inside the ring with Kushida or Adam Cole or being part of the very first match on the premiere episode last week. Hayes says that it feels natural for him to be part of these conversations because he is a future legend in this company, and he is the next in line. Mackenzie notes that Hayes not only won his match but beat former North American Champion, Leon Ruff, in the process and asks how he feels. “The Top Talent” says he left it in the ring last week and told Ruff himself that “Melo don’t miss” and that’s exactly what would happen, he says there are no hard feelings on his end but when you win, there never are hurt feelings.

There’s a not-so-subtle cough off-screen as the cameras pan around to show Leon Ruff. Initially, Hayes looks a little perturbed at why he would interrupt his interview time but Ruff says that it was an honor to face him last week and even though the match didn’t go his way, matches like that remind Ruff why he loves this industry and why he chose to be a wrestler. Ruff then asks what the post-match interaction with the returning Kona Reeves was all about, which Mackenzie states was her next question for Hayes. Hayes says it’s always nice to have fans and that must be why Reeves was out there because otherwise, they have no business with each other.

Mackenzie turns to then find Kona Reeves approaching, but Hayes simply walks off, choosing not to give him the time of day. Mitchell welcomes “The Finest” back and says it’s been some time since they’ve seen him. Reeves says it has been a while but over the past year, he has only improved with time and age before turning to Ruff and stating that unfortunately “it’s not the case for everyone”. Ruff says that he understands it’s been a while since Reeves has been on NXT but he should try and avoid clout-chasing when he had no reason to be out there last week.

Reeves laughs and says that Ruff has no clout to chase and says he was actually ‘scouting’ as he’s come back with an agenda to build his very own empire. Ruff says that if history has proven anything, it’s that most empires end in ruin and Hayes seemed pretty clear that he wasn’t interested. Reeves says that he’ll deal with Hayes when he’s ready but for now he wants to focus on eradicating some of the ‘not-so-fine’ features of NXT, starting with Leon Ruff. Ruff says that as long as there’s a beat in his heart, he won’t be going anywhere but if Reeves wants to test the theory, then he can go and ask Nigel McGuinness for a match next week.

Up next, it’s main event time as Timothy Thatcher takes on Tyler Breeze.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Divider.png

An advertisement airs for this year’s Money in the Bank pay-per-view, airing this Sunday (18th July). Confirmed matches include, Roman Reigns defending the WWE Universal Championship against Edge, New Day’s Kofi Kingston challenging “The Almighty” Bobby Lashley for the WWE Championship and of course, both the men’s and women’s Money In the Bank ladder matches.

Ahead of the final match of the evening, Kevin Patrick runs down the card and events for NXT next week:

- New Number One Contender, LA Knight, puts his Million Dollar title on the line against one lucky hopeful in another Million Dollar Dreams match.
- Kyle O’Reilly returns to the Capitol Wrestling Center for the first time since End of the Line.
- Following the fallout of the women’s tag team match this past week, Zoey Stark, Sarray, Tegan Nox and Shotzi take on The Brand and Toni Storm in a blockbuster eight-woman tag match.
- The NXT Tag Team Champions will be in action as MSK fight Ever-Rise in a non-title match.
- Nigel McGuinness will provide a big update regarding NXT Takeover: High Stakes.

Divider.png

We head back to the ring where Dennis Arnell waits to introduce the final match of the evening. There’s anticipation as the lights go out and we hear…

LOOK EVERYONE IT’S TYLER!”

DENNIS ARNELL
“The following is your NXT Evolve main event match of the evening..." the crowd cheers "...and it is set for one fall with a twenty-minute time limit. Introducing the ring first, from Penticton, British Columbia, Canada, weighing 195 pounds…Tyler Breeze!”

“The King of the Selfie” struts his way out to the stage to a decent reaction from the crowd. Kevin Patrick reminds us that Tyler is looking to reassert himself as a legend within NXT. Barrett says that Breeze has always had untapped potential and that tonight could be a fork in the road that finally helps him on his way to mainstream success. The titantron shows the real-time footage from Breeze’s phone as he brushes his fingertips against his chiselled jaw.

Fandango then saunters his way out in support of his tag team partner. Tonight is no dressing up or mind games, Patrick wonders what a win would mean for the future of Dango and Breeze as a team, but Barrett says that he for one would not be sad to see the back of Fandango and their antics if they were to split.

“Prince Pretty” hops onto the apron and poses before the adoring crowd, while Fandango gets weird with some questionable hip thrusts. Finally, Breeze continues to stream himself as he casually lounges across the ropes, awaiting his opponent.

Unlike his opponent, there are no frills to the entrance of Timothy Thatcher, who simply charges his way down the ramp. Barrett laments Thatcher for interrupting LA Knight’s special announcement this past week on NXT but Kevin Patrick says that Knight was part of the problem, refusing to acknowledge Thatcher as a title contender, which is exactly what he then accused Bronson Reed of doing. The submission specialist, known for his Fujiwara Armbar, wipes his feet on the apron and steps into the ring as Breeze removes his patented fur gilét and throws it to Fandango on the outside.

Thatcher begins to stretch out as he approaches Breeze, Darryl Sharma steps between the two as they exchange words ahead of the opening bell.

Timothy-Thatcher-vs-Tyler-Breeze.png

Once the bell rings, the two men lock up immediately, with Thatcher managing to power Breeze into the corner until the referee is forced to come between them and initiate a five-count. Thatcher backs off after three as the two men, both of whom were considered ‘fan favorites’ were now conflicting in a battle for supremacy and recognition. The two men stare each other down, with Breeze initiating a Greco-style finger lock, but Thatcher toys with him and gets him into a side headlock takedown, then focuses on the arm which he wrenches on in the centre of the ring.

Breeze continues to chain-style wrestling, sweeping Thatcher’s leg then grabbing the ankle, choosing his own target to work on as he twists it almost 180 degrees. Thatcher delivers a forearm shot to Breeze to break the hold as the two tussle once more ending up in the corner, only for the referee to break the hold once again. Thatcher shoves Breeze, who pushes him right back as this time, Thatcher accepts Breeze’s invitation to a fingerlock test of strength. Thatcher manages to get his foot behind Breeze’s ankle to gain the advantage of the lock-up, before stomping behind the knee to get Breeze to the mat and pin his shoulders down to the mat.

ONE

But that’s all it was! Breeze recognises his error and immediately gets his shoulders off of the mat. Thatcher gains control of the wrist and locks in a wristlock momentarily before “The Gorgeous One” is able to kip up and try and get back into the match. Breeze goes for a dropkick but Thatcher blocks it, pointing to his head, to indicate that he’s got smarts. Commentary discusses how many NXT Superstars go to Thatcher for advice on refining their skills, noting him as a 16-year veteran. Barrett comments that there is rarely a move that Thatcher doesn’t have an answer for.

Once again, the two men try to suss the other out, they lock up in the middle of the ring again but once more the referee is forced to call for a rope break as Thatcher wrestles Breeze into the ropes. Breeze approaches Thatcher and is caught off-guard with an uppercut, that seems to trigger the former NXT Tag Team Champion as he responds with a slap of disrespect. A charged Thatcher then blocks a follow-up forearm and delivers a headbutt to ground his opponent. Thatcher drags Breeze back to the centre of the ring and wrenches on the ankle, which Kevin Patrick puts over as a smart move as it could hinder Breeze’s chances of executing his signature Beauty Shot and Super Model Kick. Maintaining control of the foot, Thatcher is able to roll his opponent over into a single-leg Boston Crab. Fandango calls for Breeze to make his way to the ropes and holds out his hands, but Darryl Sharma catches this and warns Dango to keep himself to himself.

Breeze writhes in pain but manages to claw his way to the bottom rope to break the hold. Sharma warns Thatcher back but as Breeze recovers, he delivers multiple knee strikes to the midsection, bringing him to his feet and tossing him across the ring. Thatcher goes for the cover…

ONE

Surprisingly, despite taking some damage, Tyler Breeze is able to kick out at one but this only spurs his opponent’s frustration. Thatcher locks a headlock on Breeze, continuing to try and wind him down but the fashionista is able to break the hold and deliver a chop against Thatcher’s chest, his opponent responds with another European uppercut, which sends Breeze flying back onto his derriere.

Breeze holds his jaw looking up at Thatcher, it’s clear that both men want a win just as badly as the other. In a surprising move, Thatcher extends his hand and brings Breeze back to his feet as the fans applaud the show of respect. Thatcher approaches Breeze, logging for a forearm but Breeze catches the arm and in a not-so-respectful display, pulls Thatcher’s arm over the top rope and applies the pressure. Darryl Sharma counts to four before Breeze releases the hold and follows up with a dropkick, this time taking Thatcher down. Breeze hobbles back to his feet, selling the previous holds in the match as he wrenches the forearm again, this time seating himself up on the top rope as he looks for the tornado DDT! However, Thatcher manages to reverse this and manages to force “Prince Pretty” back to the mat to hit a beautiful butterfly suplex!

Before Thatcher can make his way to pin Breeze, the latter rolls out of the ring. Hunting his prey, Timothy Thatcher rolls out of the ring and follows on behind but Fandango acts as a human shield and refuses to let Thatcher past. The two men exchange some words on the outside before Tyler calls out to his tag team partner, who ducks out of the way…

SUPERMODEL KICK CONNECTED!

Wade Barrett says that Breeze is getting resourceful with his tactics as he falls to his knees. The referee warns Fandango once again as Breeze throws Thatcher back into the ring and hooks the leg.

ONE

TWO

But Thatcher kicks out just in time!
Breeze bends Thatcher’s arm back and stomps at the elbow, attempting to do further damage to weaken the submission specialist. Thatcher is able to sweep the legs of Breeze who stumbles into the ropes. Thatcher makes his way back to his feet, trying to shake out the nagging pain in his arm and hits a belly-to-belly suplex. Thatcher rolls out of the ring, telling Fandango to stay out as he slams Breeze’s head onto the apron, effectively trying to destroy his opponent’s ‘money maker’. Using the cravate, he rolls Breeze over the apron and sits him up, striking with a forearm but this only aggravates his forearm further.

Thatcher attempts to gain some distance, walking away from Breeze, who is checking his nose for blood before running Thatcher into the steel post and sending him back into the ring. The crowd seem to sour slightly on Breeze bit the ambiguity of both men’s alignments in this match, alongside their personal motivations, splits the crowd down the middle.

Breeze demands Thatcher get to his feet, shaking his leg out as it seems like he won’t be going for the Beauty Shot tonight. Instead, he sets Thatcher up for The Unprettier when….THATCHER TURNS IT INTO A SLEEPERHOLD! The desperation and panic penetrate the Capitol Wrestling Center almost immediately. Breeze is able to roll through to the ropes, where Fandango immediately makes Sharma aware of this to call for another rope break.

Thatcher stays on top of his opponent, looking once again to fatigue him following the target on the leg earlier in the match, he throws him into the corner but this time Breeze rebounds and comes with a forearm, sending Thatcher across the ring. Thatcher follows up with one of his own and the sequence continues until Breeze misses, with Thatcher manages to get behind him and hit a low dropkick to the back of Breeze’s angle.

GERMAN SUPLEX WITH THE BRIDGE BY TIMOTHY THATCHER!

ONE

TWO

SO CLOSE!

Timothy Thatcher back to his feet looks to catapult Tyler Breeze into the turnbuckle but Breeze – somehow- manages to land on the second rope and deliver a stomp to the chest of Tim Thatcher. However, upon doing so “The Gorgeous One” immediately regrets his decision and favours his ankle one more. The two men now knelt, exchanging forearms as the crowd cheer on. Back to their feet, Breeze foolishly tries to go for an enzuigir but Thatcher ducks and locks in an ankle lock! Once again panic sets in but Breeze does his best to get to the ropes.

Will he make it?

Breeze reaches out…

But Thatcher pulls him back into the middle of the ring!

Breeze has no choice but to tap as the bell tolls.

DENNIS ARNELL

“Here is your winner, by way of submission…Timothy Thatcher!”

Daryl Sharma raises Thatcher’s arm in victory following what commentary describes as a fantastic display. Sharma then turns his attention to Breeze, who is being checked on by Fandango. Thatcher looks around at the damage he caused, but no one ever said that wrestling was easy. The chaos thought to have been left behind in the black and gold era had subsided into a feeling of contention. At least for now, Thatcher could carry on his journey towards the top.

Timothy Thatcher makes a slow exit up the ramp as his music continues to play. Kevin Patrick and Wade Barrett thank the viewers for their time and remind us to tune in next Tuesday night for an all-new episode of NXT.

Divider.png

Last edited:

Looking Glass

Reaction score
NEWS & NOTES
NXT TAKEOVER: HIGH STAKES ANNOUNCED, CONTRACT UPDATES ON REGAL & COLE, RAQUEL GONZÁLEZ CHALLENGES TIAN SHA & MORE!

Hiigh-Stakes-Announced.png

As seen on this past week’s NXT, the next Takeover, Nigel McGuinness accounted that the 36th Takeover event would be held in Las Vegas, Nevada under the title of High Stakes”. The premium live event looks to coincide with the main roster’s SummerSlam event being held at the Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada on Saturday 21st of August. Sam’s Town Hotel & Gambling Hall will host, with this being the first Takeover to be held outside of the Capitol Performance Center or Full Sail University since NXT Takeover: Portland back in February 2020.

WWE resumed its main roster touring as of 16 July, due to the declining COVID-19 cases, with the introduction of the vaccine. However, the emergence of the Delta variant in May could still affect the chances of SummerSlam and High Stakes running at full capacity. Nevada Governor, Steve Sisolak is believed to endorse the indoor mask mandate laid out by the CDC for counties with “high” or “substantial” transmission levels.

High Stakes was announced after NXT Champion, Bronson Reed, volunteered to defend his title against LA Knight following a tirade of comments made by the latter, alongside his interference at the End of the Line event. While Knight was initially keen to show that he was the new “People’s Champion”, McGuinness upped the ante by getting both men to agree to put all their championships on the line – meaning the victor will walk out with the NXT and NXT North American Championships (currently held by Reed) and the unofficial Million Dollar Championship (held by Knight).

NXT Takeover: High Stakes will take place on Sunday 22nd August, broadcasting live on Peacock and the WWE Network.

- WWE recently applied to trademark the term “Lucky Seven” or “Lucky 7”, which will more than likely play into the event. Kevin Patrick and Wade Barrett announced that McGuinness was intending to make an announcement regarding High Stakes on the upcoming episode of NXT. Whether this is related to the trademark request remains to be seen.

Raquel-challenges-Tian-Sha.png

- NXT Women’s Champion, Raquel González, has challenged Tian Sha to a match next week on NXT on her Twitter account. Despite Nigel McGuinness, telling talent that they could not book their own matches, a furious “Big Mami” responded to a cryptic video posted on the official NXT Twitter account. The video follows on from “The Special Girl” vignette that aired on the 29th June edition of NXT and are now confirmed to be from the trio, led by the mysterious Mei Ying.

The newest video addresses the misting controversy that saw González’s tag team partner, Dakota Kai, blinded when she had lashed out against Ying. While González defeated Xia Li at the End of the Line edition of NXT, successfully retaining her title, the latest video indicates that this feud is far from over. You can check out the footage below:

坏种子
[THE BAD SEED]

“Once there was a very special girl, who embarked on a journey for a better life. While she had the strength of the dragon, she still could not find fulfilment. Despite the words of The Mother, she still could not claim the glory she sought. The obstacle grew stronger…” we see a point-of-view shot of Raquel González re-grouping with Mercedes Martinez this past week on NXT. Insinuating that they were being watched from afar. “and that made the special girl feel weak. The Mother reminded the girl of the tale of the bad seed. The bad seed planted themselves around the obstacle to make the obstacle strong, the bad seed also wanted to grow and become more powerful – The Mother was unhappy.” We then see a clip of Dakota Kai confronting Mei Ying, only to receive the ominous black mist in the face, blinding her. “The bad seed could not grow any longer.” Footage from Dakota’s tearful sit-down interview with Mauro Ranallo begins to play on screen. “Without the bad seed, the special girl can grow and the foundations of the obstacle are weaned. The strength of the dragon was renewed and the special girl…” we see an intense clip of Xia Li training alongside Boa. would rise again.

天煞

Contract-Updates-on-Cole-and-Regal.png

- The contract status of former NXT General Manager, William Regal, is still up in the air. Regal left the former black and gold brand behind earlier in the month following the End of the Line special. Regal, who was appointed the position of Director of Talent Development and Head of Global Recruiting back in February has not been seen backstage, continuing to fuel rumours that he is looking to make an exit from the company. All Elite Wrestling has made it no secret that they would love to work with Regal as they continue to bolster their roster.

- Adam Cole’s future with WWE also remains unknown at this time. Cole, who lost his NXT contract in the brutal Three Strikes match at End of the Line, was rumoured to be heading to the main roster but the late addition of the ‘I Quit’ stipulation at the NXT event caused many to believe that this was a way to write Cole out of the company.

There was speculation backstage that Cole was unhappy with plans to pair him with (a newly heel) Keith Lee in a non-wrestling role and change his name to avoid confusion with long-standing commentator, Michael Cole. It’s interesting to note that as of writing, Lee has shown no indication of a heel turn on Raw. Based on Cole's NXT contract, the non-compete clause would last a total of 30 days. The obvious next move would be to join his partner, Britt Baker, who currently wrestles for All Elite Wrestling.

Theory-Return.png

- Austin Theory is thought to be due back imminently. The young standout was written off television to sell the lead pipe attack orchestrated by Pete Dunne and Oney Lorcan on 22 June episode of NXT. How Theory will fit within the landscape remains to be seen as mentor Johnny Gargano is currently in a tag team program with former foe Dexter Lumis.

Corino-Not-Signing.png

- It appears that Colby Corino won’t be signing with the company anytime soon. It was believed that the second-generation wrestler was one of many being primed for NXT Evolve (which aims to focus on younger talent and those used infrequently on Tuesday Nights). While Corino didn’t deny interest in signing with WWE, he did confirm that he had signed a contract with the National Wrestling Alliance last month that would see him through to the end of 2022.

It is believed that WWE’s relationship with NWA is currently positive and with Evolve utilising unsigned talents more recently, there could be potential for a working relationship. Several female talents within WWE recently expressed an interest in working with NWA following the announcement of their first all-female event, Empower, which is being co-produced by Mickie James, who was released from WWE in April. Although it should be noted that the former WWE Women’s and Divas Champion is contractually prevented from competing at the event.

Diamond-Mine.png

- This week’s NXT Evolve also saw the surprise return of the Diamond Mine vignettes. Previous reports indicated that plans were scrapped, but the tonal difference in this week’s segment would suggest that the plans have been altered instead. While there were loose references to the previous vignettes aired in April, the footage introduced on this week’s episode showed a setting similar to Raw Underground with a Lion’s Den structure. While a male figure was shown in the footage, the audience was not shown their face. The figure may or may not be used as part of the storyline moving forward.

UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS

3.png

NXT TAKEOVER: HIGH STAKES [TAKEOVER #36] SUNDAY 22 AUGUST, 2022
SAM'S TOWN HOTEL & GAMBLING HALL ‣ LAS VEGAS, NEVADA

CONFIRMED MATCHES:

CHAMPION vs. 'CHAMPION':
WINNER TAKES ALL MATCH FOR THE NXT, NORTH AMERICAN & MILLION DOLLAR CHAMPIONSHIP
BRONSON REED vs. LA KNIGHT

Last edited:

Looking Glass

Reaction score
What-s-Ne-XT.png

NXT [EPISODE #466] "WHAT'S NeXT" PREVIEW

What's up everyone? I'm McKenzie Mitchell and welcome to "What's NeXT", the show where we take a sneak peek into everything going on in NXT. Last week was certainly an introduction to Nigel McGuinness' vision of the new era, with the announcement of NXT's first-ever trip to "Sin City" with Takeover: High Stakes. We know that Nigel will be back on NXT this week with a new update on the event - what that will be, remains to be seen.

Samoa-Joe-Speaks.png

When Nigel McGuinness set up the match between Finn Bálor and Samoa Joe, the WWE Universe was overjoyed to see an exhibition of two of the brand's great. However, things ended on a sour note when "The Samoan Submission Machine" attack Bálor following his victory. This week, Joe has 'graciously' agreed to an interview with yours truly to explain his actions and what motivated him in the moment - you are not going to want to miss this.

Kyle-O-Reilly-returns.png

Also this week, Kyle O'Reilly will be back on the brand for the first time since ending Adam Cole's career at NXT: End of the Line. Finally rested following a brutal Three Strikes match, we'll find out what's next for "Cool Kyle" - could a shot at Bronson Reed's Championship be in scope?

LA-Knight-Million-Dollar-Match.png

One man hoping that won't be happening anytime soon is the new, official number-one contender to the NXT Championship. As confirmed this past week on NXT, LA Knight will be putting his Million Dollar Championship on the line once again in what he has dubbed - a Million Dollar Dreams match. From what our sources can understand, the match will only be for those with under five matches on NXT television...though this is LA Knight we're talking about, the rules could change at any moment! It's no secret that Knight is taking a jab at "The Colossal" with this challenge, trying to prove himself as a superior fighting champion, but will the egg be on his face if his challenger manages to score the ultimate upset? And if so, how will this affect the Champion vs. 'Champion' match at High Stakes?

MSK-vs-Ever-Rise.png

On a special edition of Ever-Rise Live, Chase Parker and Matt Martel confirmed that they would be taking on the NXT Tag Team Champions, MSK, in a non-title match. The fortunes of Ever-Rise have been....so-so, but they had vowed that they were turning over a new leaf and putting in the work to get recognised, but will this pay dividends for them? With an 11-1 win/loss record this year, Wes Lee and Nash Carter have proven to be unstoppable but with competition rising from the likes of Hit Row, Tony Nese & Ariya Daivari and The Way, could Ever-Rise catapult themselves into number one contender status?

Eight-Woman-Tag.png

Speaking of rising competition, there'll be a blockbuster eight-woman tag team match this week as Tegan Nox and Shotzi team up with Sarray and Zoey Stark - who they were meant to do battle with last week - to take on Toni Storm and The Brand. The NXT Women's Tag Team Champions, Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell were put on notice last week by Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro, but it seems like the champions have a lot more to keep their eye on. Toni Storm has done her utmost to downplay the recent success of "The Warrior of the Sun" and Franky Monet has never needed an excuse to pile on. Following the brawl that took the place of the previously scheduled encounter, can law and order be established in the women's division?

Raquel-Gonz-lez-Segment.png

Finally, the NXT Women's Champion, Raquel González, has responded to a controversial video that aired exclusively on social media this past week with an open challenge to Tian Sha. The video, titled "Bad Seed" appeared to mock Dakota Kai's emotional sit-down video - understandably - didn't go down well with "Big Mami". The question is, who will answer the call? Will we see round two of End of the Line if "The Special Girl" Xia Li steps up? Perhaps some intergender action with Boa? Or maybe after causing chaos from afar, Mei Ying, will lead from the front. There's only one way to find out...

Join us this Tuesday to catch all the action live on Peacock! But for now, I've been McKenzie Mitchell. I'll be seeing you Tuesday Night!"

Last edited:

Deco90

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
NXT EVOLVE [EPISODE #02] ‣ TUESDAY 13 JULY, 2021 REVIEW:

- So, I've said it before to you, but I really like the idea and plan with NXT Evolve to showcase some new names and the lesser known talent, I think it works well alongside your version of NXT and what we see there.

- Good job of letting us know who Jamie Frost & Skyler Storey were here. It was obvious that this was a match for Kacy & Kayden to win but nothing wrong with that at all, and Frost & Skyler had a decent showing. Team Ninja? Is that a thing IRL? If so I've never noticed or heard it before and I'm not really a fan of the name but I am a fan of the team!

Early tease with the Way and It's not going to be the last we see of these two teams, I'm sure.

- Hmm. Interesting little segment with a look exchange between Thatcher & Killian Dain.

- Ever-Rise Live Haha! Cool segment man and something a little new and different too. The Bivens proposal is interesting but I'm very glad they're not interested in working with him because that would feel like such a weird fit for me. Intrigued to see what you can do going forward with a team like Ever-Rise going forward.

- An update from Mr McGuinness on NXT Takeover: High Stakes - Sweet! Absolutely love that name and the fact it's going to be in Vegas too, works very well.

- Great showing from the 'Beast of Belfast' and it was exactly all it needed to be. I liked the little call back to Raaj facing Balor as the Superstar Spectacle but this was quite rightly all about Dain. Good stuff.

- Diamond Mine? Interesting! Intrigued to see what you do with them. Felt like they were snake bitten so early IRL which was a shame because it had a lot of potential with the original format, although I do like the current one too.

- Drake Maverick Haha! Nice segment here again using some unfavoured people or in the case of AG & Jiro, some people that are yet to be explored at all IRL. I like it.

- Gimme more of 'Prince Pretty' Tyler Breeze! Nice promo and I like that he acknowledged quite rightly that he should be seen as one of the main guys from that NXT era!

- Barrett comparing IMPERIUM to Lay-Cool Haha! I don't know about that one, Wade Haha! Nice showing from Ru Feng & Dante Chen but as expected, IMPERIUM pick up the victory. Good and correct call, of course. I like that you've managed to include a few people in just this story little story alone. I always felt that was a strength of yours, using people that maybe were unfancied or not so commonly used. Good stuff, LG.

- 'Melo don't miss! Big fan of Carmelo and he's a future star of this brand as he is in real life no doubt. I liked what he said to Mackenzie and this was again a nice of example using a few different people in one segment/story.

- An advert for Money in the Bank? Interesting! I think that might be the first time you've mentioned the wider WWE Universe. I wonder what's going down on Raw & Smackdown? Hmm.

-The rundown for the next episode of NXT looks great too! LA Knight defending the Million Dollar Championship has me wondering if he could drop it before TakeOver, I can't really see Bronson carrying it but I also can't see Bronson losing the winner takes all match so it's intriguing. High stakes, indeed.

- MAIN EVENT TIME! HERE.. WE.. GO!

Really enjoyed this match. I like how you presented this as a Thatcher kind of match with the feeling out process and both being experienced enough to look for the wristlocks and wrestling. I thought Breeze had one it with the super kick but it's Timothy Thatcher that comes away with the ankle lock!

This was good a great Main Event for Evolve dude. Couple of close calls too, like I said - I thought Breeze was going to win it at one stage but I think you picked the right guy to win. Feels like Thatcher as the solo guy has more upside and can be involved in the top end of the NXT cards going forward.

Overall; I liked the show mate. I like what you're doing with Evolve and how you're using different people and the less familiar people as I've said previously. I think for a small show, you've fitted so many characters into certain segments and feuds without making anything feel like a mess at the moment. Excited to see more!

Reacting to the news and speculation there's so much potential goodness in there.

I really dug the Tian Sha Vignette/footage - that was really cool.

The update on Diamond Mine has me intrigued how you plan to go forward with that too!

And I'm excited to see what you're cooking for High Stakes!

What's NeXT showing that next weeks episode of NXT is absolutely loaded too! Cannot wait to hear from Samoa Joe and I'm hoping we get that bad ass killer Joe as his actions last week seems to suggest. Also really intrigued by the winner takes all Reed vs LA Knight match/feud because that does feel like a booking nightmare to me haha!

Good stuff, LG! Really enjoying what you're serving up :)

DTP

Reaction score
NXT: End of the Line - July 6, 2021

Alrighty, it’s been a long time but I’m going to start with where I believe I left off over on Wrestling Clique. The last edition of Black and Gold NXT - I’m very interested to see how we get going and deviate from the current status quo, to that of the 2.0 variety.

I’ve noted this previously, but I am a big fan of the layout and attention to detail. It helps tremendously as I’m sure you’ve noticed with the Pandemic Project, with providing additional context to the reader.

Starting off with the epic grudge match between Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly is fascinating to me. Really nice touch with the Tale of the Tape-esque stats before the write-up. I imagine that the Three Strikes match is essentially a Best of Three Falls type deal? It’s interesting that you got things off with O’Reilly scoring the first fall via submission, as typically one would expect the heel to lead things off, particularly where Loser Leaves Town is the stipulation in question. It’s good to be different. And I understand now as I read - one must lose three times. I feel like I could have used a refresher of the rules for this before the match, to nitpick. Wonderful false finish with O’Reilly nearly succumbing to the superkick-trash can spot. I was expecting O’Reilly to win, if for no other reason, it’s probably by and large time for Cole to advance to the main roster. I’m a little unsure about how the match was booked, but if it was intended to propel Kyle into a headline act come the new era, it definitely worked. Great write-up, straight down to none of the lame handshake stuff you tend to expect from such an outcome.

Hah, I guess Bobby Fish is working on an intellectual gimmick of sorts. I think the jury’s still out on how this goes. I mean, he is Infamous after all. C’mon folks…where’s the lie?

I won’t lie, I was never too big a fan of the Way as a faction. I get what it was trying to accomplish, with a family of sort - but it never felt organic to me outside of Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae. At least it was colorful, though. I wouldn’t mind seeing Austin Theory spend longer in NXT and potentially building up to leaving the new era inbound. Dexter Lumis and Oney Lorcan on the surface feels like a styles clash, but in Extreme Rules I’m sure there will be some purpose served.

Oh jeez, I do hope that we move past this bullshit with Mei Ying, Xia Li and Boa. It was too campy for me, and definitely didn’t fit in with what the rest of the product was doing at the time. It did however serve the purpose of providing Raquel Gonzalez with a defense of the NXT Women’s Championship. It also furthered the score with Mercedes Martinez and the Ancient Contingent. The tease of Raquel against Mercedes was the most interesting thing to come from this segment, personally speaking.

You got William Regal’s dialogue down to a tee with that promo, and I really like that his purpose here was to provide NXT with Nigel McGuinness as his replacement General Manager. I suspect it comes after the way NXT TakeOver: In Your House went off the air, which is good continuity. The only thing I didn’t like in Nigel’s speech was the Ring of Honor name drop. Good preview for NXT Evolve, as well. I wouldn’t additionally mind seeing the use of Nigel eventually lead to the merger with the NXT UK brand. I think that’s the only base you’re missing, it would be pretty cool to read what’s happening across the pond, even in passing. LA Knight’s interruption was a nice touch, craving power. It did feel like a simple way to get him on the card, considering he didn’t even get attacked by Finn Balor or Samoa Joe. I suspect the idea behind Finn and Joe is to pay homage to Sting and Ric Flair on the final WCW Monday Nitro.

I have and will always be a big fan of the Grizzled Young Veterans.They’re just fantastic. I can’t say I’m too shocked at MSK picking up the victory here, being the posterboys for the NXT Tag Team Championship division headed into the new era. I wonder what tag teams we’ll be seeing coming in to threaten their six month reign.

Mansoor is an interesting character, given he’s very likable, but I did get the feeling you portrayed him a little heelish here. Maybe we’ll see the Maximum Male Model a year early? Either way it sets up Kushida’s next NXT Cruiserweight Championship defense. Coming after Mustafa Ali, I’m intrigued as to whether there will be some sort of collusion between the challengers. Kushida is a natural in the fighting champion role.

The Hit Row and Legado del Fantasma match was everything it needed to be. The babyface stable establishing supremacy over NXT was fine, though I do feel like Isaiah Scott is above Top Dolla and Ashante Adonis. Maybe it comes after seeing what Scott can do in AEW, and seeing Hit Row flounder on the main roster in real life.

I like the sound of NXT Evolve’s line-up. A little research tells me Zayda Ramier is A.Q.A. Let’s hope she’s at least ready to be in a match with Toni Storm. Perhaps that’s what the purpose of this show is, to showcase the more perennial talents still developing. I bet Carmelo Hayes and Leon Ruff would be a fun match, actually. Next week’s NXT looks pretty good for a relaunch, though it feels like the same brand with a different lick of paint on the surface. Let’s hope to see a more organic insertion of new talents, as opposed to what NXT 2.0 ended up really doing, and ramming 20 randos through the door at a time. Transition is everything.

It simply makes sense to unify the two top singles prizes in NXT, the NXT Championship and NXT North American Championships. Brilliant write-up on this match, as Bronson Reed looks to lead the charge into the relaunch of the brand. It was truly time for Karrion Kross to lose the title, as it was time for his promotion to the main roster. I did like Mauro Ranallo’s one night return to the announce position, but if I could have changed one thing, it would have been to keep Finn Balor and Samoa Joe away from this closing segment. Enough was already going on, I thought. Great way to go off the year with a lot of respect for William Regal. Let’s hope there’s an inkling of a chance of him returning when young Charlie Dempsey rears his head.

As always, strong work in the write-up here. I’ve been waiting to review this show for a while, since Wrestling Clique last year. I realise this show is nearly a month old, but I felt simply starting by reviewing NXT Evolve would not do this piece of work justice. I’ll be reviewing NXT Evolve this weekend.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sticking with me on this, always appreciate the feedback. (and welcome back DTP).

I think one of the things with this project is that while I've adapted the NXT 2.0 aesthetic, my intention was never to overhaul the brand overnight as they did in real life. In some projects, writers will lay out all the changes in the opening post, whereas I wanted to build towards those changes so transitioning it from black and gold to....multicoloured? (haha) was a physical way of introducing some of the booking changes. It took me a while to get used to NXT 2.0, so I wanted to balance the familiar with the new to make it feel like a more natural transition. In essence, it may come across like NXT with a lick of new paint, but hopefully, some of the booking decisions and use of certain talent will make it feel a bit more of a departure, without feeling like a knee-jerk decision.

In contrast, NXT Evolve is probably taking the spot of what NXT 2.0 was, mixed in with AEW Dark/Elevation, helping to introduce new talents, while building up lesser-featured ones to give them some momentum. It's only two episodes in at the moment, but I have some interesting plans ahead, including the Diamond Mine angle, which I decided to bring back with my own spin.

As Deco pointed out, it's always one of my things when putting a project together to look at the roster and try and breathe life into every single member. Again, for some of the Evolve talents, that may take a bit more time, but for the NXT roster, I think that IRL some characters get dropped or never get the chance to shine.

DTP, you raise some interesting points on NXT UK. I think one of the things you do so well in your project is capturing the climate of society with the ongoing pandemic, which is something I've been attempting to do. Considering the flight restrictions, I'd love to use more NXT UK talent, but I didn't want to start jetting everyone out. However, as mentioned in the news article, things are subsiding slightly, so who knows what could happen?

Also, I had the three strikes rules designed and didn't like it, but I agree, I probably need to have something there to provide better context. I might go back and amend that for any potential future readers.

Thanks again for the comments, it's always good to see if certain elements are working or not. I hope you continue the journey with me! I hope to do some writing over the Bank Holiday weekend, but some big things are coming ahead of the next show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deco90 and DTP

DTP

Reaction score
NXT EVOLVE - July 9, 2021:

So building off of where I left last week, we’re onto the first glimpse of whatever is next for NXT. I appreciate you taking the time to provide clarity on some things, and I anticipate what you have to offer from this point on. I’ll be replying to this episode of TV alone this week - next week I shall cover both NXT and EVOLVE.

It’s a great idea to use this platform to showcase a lot of the new talent which we have come to know from watching NXT 2.0 for the last year. I like Leon Ruff, but against a talent the calibre of Carmelo Hayes, I think he’s a sitting duck. I wonder if you have the same plans as real life for ‘Melo. That said, a 123 Kid-esque win for Ruff would be pretty huge - but not at this point in his tenure. Good writeup, but as expected the right man won here. I do hope Hayes doesn’t find himself on EVOLVE too often, if you plan on utilising it as a distant B-show to NXT on Tuesday nights.

Side note, but I’m glad that Kevin Patrick is on this show. He’s never truly resonated with me, personally, and I feel that’s because he never spent time being fine-tuned for Monday Night RAW through the developmental route.

Yeesh, does Zayda Ramier come across as in over her head or what? I’m sure she put up a fight, but this had to be a win for Toni Storm. I would believe this was all the backdrop to revealing the angle surrounding Sarray, Zoe Stark and the Brand. I do like Franky Monet, Jessi Kamea and Aliyah as a trio, I would assume they were previously a part of the Robert Stone Brand? I’m hopeful good things are in store for Shotzi and Tegan Nox.

Ari Sterling’s always been a weird one for me. Just never connected with me, for whatever reason. There are talents such as Ari, Ikemen Jiro and August Grey which I do hope you are able to provide additional meaning to. Yeah, they’re decent enough athletes, but what else do I have to work with here? Why should I get behind them? Hopefully this segment with Drake Maverick initiated this. I always believed a show like 205 Live/Lvl Up simply needed a shot in the arm in terms of advance booking for the weeks ahead, and hot programs to properly set things in motion.

A little side note - I do like the time limit note. It works well, especially if we are to embrace the proper developmental sports aspect of NXT in this new regime.

Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari could well prove to be good gatekeepers here to younger talents. It certainly seemed to be the case against the younger Malik Blade and Edris Enofe (I’m sorry, those names are so awful). The right team won, as I would figure Enofe and Blade need more seasoning for the big time and bright lights that NXT has to offer. The run off by Hit Row was decent, and this segment worked in setting the scene for a tag team division with depth.

The card for the new era of NXT looks solid enough, and I’m certain there will be a lot of surprises that aren’t listed here. I am particularly looking forward to seeing how you handle Bronson Reed as NXT Champion - very rarely have we ever seen a super heavyweight of his size positioned as a top babyface champion.

It does make sense to see Ari Sterling get the win in this main event, and I would presume he is not long for an opportunity at the NXT Cruiserweight Championship. Upon some research I see Asher Hale is Anthony Henry, which makes plausible sense considering Henry’s past as a competitor in EVOLVE. He’s another one I’m hopeful you’ll provide more meaning and personality to.

Overall, this show worked as a solid enough preview to what NXT’s official reboot on Tuesday might resemble. The talent on this show were all solid enough, and the results were oftentimes predictable - but that’s what a B-show is all about. It’s clear EVOLVE is that home for talents to try new things out, and try to break out from the pact. But most importantly, it’s to serve as a promotional tool to build for the Tuesday show, which is fine enough. A bit more coherent than 205 Live in format, but more or less similar, with the weight limit practically abolished. With this said, the action sounded good, but as mentioned elsewhere in this review, I’m hopeful in the coming weeks we start to learn a lot more about these characters, and why NXT EVOLVE may be worth tuning in for.

Last edited:
  • Love

Looking Glass

Reaction score
00-NXT.png

NXT [EPISODE #465] TUESDAY 20 JULY, 2021

The following matches were taped for NXT Evolve to air on Friday:

• August Grey & Ikemen Jiro (w/ Drake Maverick) vs. Ariya Daivari & Tony Nese
  • Leon Ruff vs. Kona Reeves
  • The Way (Candice LeRae & Indi Hartwell w/ Persia Pirotta) vs. Amari Miller & Zayda RamierNon-title
  • Cameron Grimes vs. Tyler Rust (w/ Malcolm Bivens)

NXT-Divder.png[

NXT opens with a brief recap of last week’s main event, which saw an exhibition match between black and gold era legends, Samoa Joe and Finn Bálor, turn sour when “The Samoan Submission Machine” continued his assault after the match. This week Joe promised to provide answers, but would the NXT Universe accept what the former 2-time NXT Champion would have to say?

The dynamic duo of Vic Joseph and Wade Barrett welcomes us to the Capitol Performance Center and begin to run down tonight’s confirmed matches. The NXT Tag Team Champions, MSK, look to make a statement to the contentious tag team division as they take on the ‘new and improved Ever-Rise. Tensions look set to boil over in the women’s division when Sarray and Zoey Stark unite with Tegan Nox and Shotzi to battle Toni Storm and The Brand. The brand new number one contender to Bronson Reed’s NXT Championship, LA Knight, will look to make more dreams come true as he defends his own Million Dollar Championship and the NXT Women’s Champion, Raquel González, looks to confront Tian Sha.

But first…

The live crowd cheer as they hear the familiar sound of “Axe and Smash” for the first time in two weeks. Vic stands to applaud the arrival of “Cool” Kyle O’Reilly, while Barrett advises his colleague to sit back down and stop embarrassing himself. O’Reilly looks around the crowd, taking the moment in as he makes his way to the squared circle, still potentially not quite at 100%.

The crowd chants “Welcome back!”, which appears to humble O’Reilly who allows it all to sink in before addressing the crowd. Kyle says that the crowd will give him a big head if they carry on, prompting the chants to peter out. Kyle tells the crowd that while it’s good to be back, the last match had hit him hard. He admits that he signed the contract, he agreed to the stipulation, so one would have thought that he knew what he was getting himself into but the Three Strikes Match paid a heavier toll than he thought. Kyle says the match has caused mental and physical battle scars, but despite it all, he can’t live in regret as it was do-or-die. Referring to Adam Cole, “The Martial Artist” wishes that it could have ended another way, but the chaos had to end one way or another and he hopes that the adage of time healing all wounds could be a possibility for him. The crowd applaud O’Reilly’s mark of respect as he continues.

Looking to the future, O’Reilly said that his body is still recovering but he is medically cleared to compete (which receives a pop from the crowd) and that he didn’t go through all of this to sit on the sidelines. O’Reilly notes that the new era of NXT means that everyone is grabbing for the brass ring and much like anyone else, his goal is to be the very best wrestler on the roster, which is why Bronson Reed and LA Knight should be watching their backs for him. O’Reilly’s tone turns more serious when…

It's Samoa Joe! Joe calls for his music to be cut off and says that he doesn’t have all day. An impatient and irritated Joe says that whatever Kyle is doing needs to stop, while he approaches the ring. Joe says he saw the match at End of the Line and while it was brutal and competitive, O’Reilly needs to stop putting himself on a pedestal because as long as he’s on the roster, everyone else will always come second to him. Joe comments that his social media has been blowing up all week asking why he turned on Finn Bálor and if truth be told – it’s no one’s business why he did what he did. Joe says he’s a wrestler, he has no time for emotions and if O’Reilly wanted to stand out, he wouldn’t be out here pining for the fan’s approval.

The fans continue to boo until Kyle points out that their journeys towards the top parallel each other. Kyle has had to fight and sacrifice friendship to stand in the ring today, while Joe has actively turned his back on people. Stepping into the ring, Joe laughs off O’Reilly’s comments and responds that he used to be the biggest non-WWE talent in the world and when he joined NXT in 2015, he opened doors for indie darlings like Kyle to compete in the company but he was never given the credit he deserves. Joe says he’s not concerned by what people have to say anymore because when he was given a lifeline by Nigel McGuiness and brought back at End of the Line, he vowed he would do whatever it took to remind the world that he is the greatest talent to ever live.

O’Reilly is taken aback by Joe’s bold statements and reminds him that Bálor came to NXT before him, pointing out that Joe wasn’t a leader but a follower. Kyle says that he’s always respected Joe, regardless of his decisions but if it’s a challenge he wants, then he is happy to step up to the plate. The crowd cheer the prospect of the match as the two men go nose-to-nose, talking trash off the microphone until they are interrupted by…

General Manager, Nigel McGuiness! McGuiness stands at the top of the stage before he reminds the two men in the ring that he’s the matchmaker and he isn’t giving away a free match like that – drawing irritation from the fans until he looks around at them to cut them off. Turning his attentions back to O’Reilly and Joe, McGuinness says that seeing as they’re eating into his show, he’ll cut to the chase and tell them straight that the match won’t be happening tonight. Congratulating Joe on his victory last week and commends his fighting spirit, saying that kind of killer instinct is exactly the Joe he wanted to bring to the new NXT. McGuinness also applauds O’Reilly on his match at End of the Line and says that he has always seen a future champion in him, but echoes his sentiment that NXT has one of the most competitive rosters on the planet.

McGuinness calls back to last week when he announced that had secured a deal to host the next Takeover event – High Stakes – in Las Vegas, Nevada, for the very first time. McGuinness, not that online buzz that spurred from the Winner Takes All Match between Bronson Reed and LA Knight for the NXT, North American and Million Dollar Championships (the latter depending on the outcome of Knight’s match later this evening). McGuinness says that he wants to continue to honour Sin City and says to help establish the crème de la crème of his brand, the event will host the first-ever Lucky 7 Match. McGuinness puts over the Money in the Bank premium live event that took place this past weekend and says that he wants to go one better.

The Lucky 7 ladder match will also provide an opportunity for the victor to collect a guaranteed NXT Championship match at a future event, but there will also be a second briefcase that will allow the holder a title match for the NXT North American Championship, Tag Team Championship or (if eligible) the Cruiserweight Championship). The third and final briefcase will act as a tribute to Adam Cole and will dismiss the recipient from the brand. The announcement causes excitement amongst the live crowd, but Joe cuts to the chase and asks Nigel how he goes about getting into the match. McGuinness smirks and tells Joe that he can rest up because he has automatically qualified for the match for his victory last week. Joe looks pleased with himself, turning to O’Reilly but this is cut short when McGuinness announces that while he respects his drive, he can’t purely award the dishonour Joe displayed last week. Therefore, Finn Bálor will automatically qualify for the match (causing a bigger pop from the crowd, much to Joe’s dismay).

Nigel McGuinness says that while O’Reilly was impressive at End of the Line, he’ll have to earn his golden ticket if he wants to be part of the High Stakes event. O’Reilly says that he wasn’t expecting handouts and looks forward to his opportunity to qualify. Nigel remarks that lady luck is shining down on Kyle today as his qualifying match will be tonight and he has the perfect opponent….

RODERICK STRONG!

Kyle looks surprised to see yet another friend-turned-foe as the stern former NXT North American Champion stares down at him from McGuinness’ side. Samoa Joe looks on like the cat who got the cream, revelling in not having to get his hands dirty this week. McGuinness confirms that the match will headline tonight’s episode and wishes both men the ‘best of luck’, bringing the blockbuster segment to a close.

Vic and Wade confirm that tonight’s main event will see Kyle O’Reilly battle Roderick Strong in a Lucky 7 Qualifier as they try to dissect everything that just happened in the last couple of minutes. Barrett says that the GM keeps on surprising the NXT Universe and wonders who else could be allowed to earn their ‘golden ticket’ to High Stakes.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

NXT-Divder.png[

Returning to NXT, Vic and Wade show us a ‘social media exclusive’ clip that aired on WWE.com and across social media, which shows Kyle O’Reilly leave the ring during the commercial break, only to have a face-off with Roderick Strong at the top of the entrance ramp. While the crowd cheered on, “Cool Kyle” tried to reason with another Undisputed Era bandmate and extended his hand as a mark of respect. To the surprise of the crowd, Strong accepted the handshake. Although the audience was pleased to see the mark of respect, Strong appeared to prolong the display of respect causing an awkward tension between the pair.

NXT-Divder.png[

Backstage, McKenzie Mitchell is in the interview pit with number one contender and Million Dollar Champion, LA Knight. Mitchell asks Knight to comment on McGuinness’ announcement of the Lucky 7 Match at NXT Takeover: High Stakes. Knight peers down his shades at the camera and says that he’s really happy that the ‘bit-part players’ of NXT get a platform to shine in and says that not everyone is ‘main event ready’ like he is. McKenzie asks what threat the opportunity poses should he become champion. Knight picks up on the hypothetical ‘should’ and says that he refuses to continue with the interview given McKenzie’s ‘bad energy’. Knight rants that there are no ‘ifs’ or ‘buts’ because he will beat Bronson Reed at High Stakes and walk away the most-decorated champion in WWE history – not only that but he will continue to make dreams come true up to that point and be the fighting champion that the people want.

Knight storms away, leaving McKenzie awkwardly looking off-camera to try and work out what to do next. The cameras follow the Million Dollar Champion, who is stopped by Cal Bloom. Knight demands Bloom step aside but refuses, saying that he just wanted to thank him for the opportunity tonight and points out that he’ll be the one competing in the Million Dollar Dreams match. Seizing an opportunity, Knight demands the cameras get a better shot and tells Cal to repeat himself. Awkwardly, Bloom says once again that he is grateful for the opportunity. Knight says it’s about time someone paid it forward and appreciated the opportunities that he was giving new talent and thanked ‘Carl’ for his kind words. Bloom looks irked by the error but before he can correct him, the Million Dollar Champion says that if he’s lucky, he’ll get an autograph after their match. Knight pats the 6’5” talent on the shoulder and brushes past him as Bloom looks on.

NXT-Divder.png[

We kick off the evening with our first match, featuring the NXT Tag Team Champions in non-title action. While Nash Carter and Wes Lee make their way to the ring, we are reminded of how MSK invertedly offended Hit Row last week when they said that they have gone through the tag team division. Barrett says that the champions could be writing cheques with their mouths that they can’t cash, but Vic reminds us of their impressive victory over The Grizzled Young Veterans at NXT: End of the Line. Wade comments how it hurt to see his fellow countrymen falter at the big event, but he still holds out hope that someone will be able to knock Carter and Lee down a peg or two – even if it is ‘a bunch of wannabe rappers’. Lee and Carter head to the top ropes and hold up their NXT Tag Team Championships as we see all members of Hit Row watching from a monitor backstage.

Already in the ring, are Matt Martel and Chase Parker, aka Ever-Rise. We are shown a clip from last week’s NXT Evolve, in which the duo said that they were turning over a new leaf and looking to earn opportunities through an honest means when business mogul, Malcolm Bivens, interjected and tried to recruit the pair. Although the pair rejected the offer, Barrett notes that Bivens has a relentless approach to negotiation and says that he could catapult the careers of Ever-Rise if they woke up and smelt the maple syrup.

MSK-vs-Ever-Rise.png

Ahead of the bell, both Martel and Parker step up to the champions and offer to shake their hands. Dubious at first, Lee and Carter look to each other before accepting as D.A. Brewer calls for the bell.

Vic points out that this is a non-title match but a win for Ever-Rise would inevitably put them into the number one contender’s spot, ahead of the likes of Hit Row, Tony Nese & Ariya Daivari and Ikemen Jiro and August Grey – all of whom have made it known that they want a championship opportunity. Barrett tells Joseph not to get ahead of himself.

Parker and Lee start for their respective teams, with the pair locking up in the middle of the ring. Hammer throw from Parker, who hopes to send the champion into the turnbuckle, only for Lee to use the momentum to float over. Sensing trouble, Parker moves out of the way quickly to avoid the move before sneaking up behind his opponent with a back-body drop. Parker goes for an early cover but barely scrapes a two count as Martel tries to keep him motivated from their corner. Parker begins to deliver a series of fists, forcing Wes Lee to cover up, when Martel reminds him from their corner that they’re turning over a new leaf. Seeing sense, Parker obeys the referee and gets back to his feet to create some distance as he offers his apologies.

In an incident of over-apologising, Parker takes his eye off the ball and eats a dropkick from Wes Lee. Lee follows up with an arm drag but misses the blind tag made between Parker and Martel. Lee looks to bring Parker back to his feet, but Parker shoves Lee into a German Suplex from Martel – the cover is made…

ONE

TWO

Not quite a three!

Wes Lee manages to escape defeat as Martel argues with Brewer over the count. This time, Parker has to remind his tag team partner to respect the official’s decision and play fair. Lee crawls towards his corner, looking to make the tag but Martel quickly drags him back to the middle of the ring. Martel hits a lariat, dragging Lee back to his feet and clubbing him with a second before and pulling him back up for a third, but this time Lee forecasts the move and ducks under making a hot tag to Nash Carter and immediately hits a springboard crossbody onto Martel, then holds him in place for a Hilo from Carter to bring him into the match. Vic puts over the synergy between the champions as Carter hooks the leg but only manages a two-count, much to the relief of Chase Parker in the opposite corner.

Nash Carter brings Martel to his feet and rolls through with a parallel snapmare into the a penalty kick that echoes around the Capitol Performance Center. Carter tags Lee back into the match as the duo perform a series of shoot kicks to Martel while Parker tries to tell the referee how to do their job (before apologising immediately afterwards). Lee whips Martel back into MSK’s corner, tagging Nash back in, with Lee holding Martel in place again as Carter hits a running corner dropkick and looks around the crowd to get some support for a bronco buster! However, sensing what’s to come, Parker begins to sound off from the corner once again, providing a short distraction that allows Martel to exit the ring to safety.

Chase Parker drops off of the apron to check on Martel, the two men trying to keep one another motivated in this match when out over nowhere…SPRINGBOARD MOONSAULT PLANCHA BY NASH CARTER TAKING BOTH MEMBERS OF EVER-RISE DOWN! The crowd chant for the NXT Tag Team Champions as Carter rolls Martel into the ring and hooks the legs…

ONE

TWO

Kickout!

Carter takes a few steps back, looking for a double stomp but Martel is able to roll out the way and get the tag into Parker (who has recovered from the aerial assault). Parker takes the champion down with a stiff boot the head. Martel remains in the ring as he gets onto all fours, allowing his tag team partner to use him as a prop and elevate for an elbow drop onto Nash Carter. Martel rolls out of the ring before D.A. Brewer can say anything while Parker makes a cover but only manages a two count himself.

Parker tags Martel back into the match. Martel holds Carter up as Parker hits a dropkick to send the champion into a Russian Legsweep combination. Martel goes for the cover but once again only manages a two count as frustration begins to build in the Ever-Rise camp. Vic says that it would be wise if the two remained calm and kept their head in the match as we see Malcolm Bivens make his way down to the ring. Martel asks Parker if he invited him out, to which Parker says no. From ringside, Bivens assures them that he will help them on the path to victory but they don’t seem too convinced by what he has to say.

Martel turns and is met with an inside cradle…

ONE

TWO

Close!

But Ever-Rise stay in the match as Parker blames Bivens’ distraction for that close-call. Carter immediately hits a big double stomp on Martel and looks to follow up with a UFO Cutter when Bivens gets onto the apron and forbids Carter from doing it. Carter releases Martel and tries to shoo Bivens but Martel makes the tag to Chase Parker as they flapjack him across the apron. Barrett sells the fact that the move can cut off your air supply fast and for a guy as agile as Nash Carter, he might not have much oxygen left in the tank to do those fancy moves.

Both members look regretful over the move and it draws some heat from the crowd. Bivens tells Parker to keep on Nash Carter as Ever-Rise lift Carter into an elevated double DDT!

ONE

TWO

But Wes Lee saves the day!

Backstage we see Swerve Scott comment on how close the Tag Team Champions came to losing, with Top Dolla saying they got lucky that time. Back in the ring, Wes Lee fights back for his team as he takes on both members of Ever-Rise, taking Martel out with a running meteora before D.A. Brewer warns him to get out of the ring. Lee disputes the decision and points out that Bivens is calling shots from ringside but this goes ignored. Meanwhile the entrepreneur, Bivens, grabs one of the NXT Tag Team Championships and wills Chase Parker to make use of it, while Nash Carter is still groggy.

Bivens throws the title into the ring, Parker instinctively catches it but before the referee can turn their back, he throws it back to Bivens and says this isn’t how he wants to win. Turning back around, Nash Carter grabs Parker and springboards with the UFO cutter, this time landing it perfectly as Wes Lee briefly enters the ring to hit a Tope Con Hilo to floor Martel on the outside, preventing him from disrupting the cover made by Nash Carter.

ONE

TWO

THREE!

The crowd cheer as justice prevails, cutting to Hit Row, who look impressed at the way MSK were able to turn their fortunes around (albeit helped by the discourse between their opponents and meddling Malcolm Bivens). Vic Joseph says that this is what the tag team division must watch out for when dealing with Lee and Carter as things can turn in an instance.

D.A. Brewer raises Lee and Carter’s arm in victory as they are handed back their title belts. Meanwhile, Martel drags Parker to the outside and angrily laments Bivens for getting involved, shoving past him as he tells him that they are not for sale. Bivens tries to block their way and says that he doesn’t want to do business with them following their loss, delivering a slap to the face of Martel. Martel looks irate as he goes to strike back, but stops himself and instead opts to shove Bivens onto his backside – much to the delight of the crowd.

MSK exit the ring, looking at a humiliated Bivens before turning back to the crowd and hammering on the Plexiglas to keep the crowd hot.

NXT-Divder.png[

Backstage, we cut to Hit Row as B-Fab says the match was ‘alright’. Swerve Scott says he’ll give props to the champions but they were wrong about them last week and Hit Row will soon show them who runs house in the tag team division. The remarks are quickly laughed off by the arrival of Ariya Daivari and Tony Nese, who find it laughable that they can even call themselves a tag team. “The Premier Athlete” reminds them of their victory on the debut episode of NXT Evolve, which saw Hit Row make the save after the match. Nese says that he and Ari live rent-free inside Hit Row’s brain but Ashante Adonis calls the duo a couple of ‘clout chasers’, looking to hang off of their name.

Daivari says that they’ll see who is hanging off of who, when they score another victory on this week’s episode of Evolve against Ikemen Jiro and August Grey. Swerve tells the team to ask Legado del Fantasma how well it worked out for them when they faced Hit Row, to which neither Nese or Daivari have an answer for. Just when the scene couldn’t become any more chaotic, Johnny Gargano and Dexter Lumis arrive to try and defuse the situation.

While Lumis acts like a human shield, Gargano says that both teams have strong qualifies. Daivari is a masterful tactician, while Tony Nese is the perfect embodiment of strength and speed, while the members of Hit Row each have a specialist skills of innovation, charisma and power. However….neither team are “Johnny Wrestling”.

Daivari points out that Gargano and “Lurch” haven’t even tagged together yet, causing Lumis to break his vacant stare and tower over “The Persian Lion”. Swerve hates to agree with his foes but says that The Way shouldn’t even be in the conversation. Gargano retorts that The Way are more than a tag team – they’re a family and that bond and chemistry is stronger than any hip hop group or bitter Bettys (looking at Nese and Daivari). B-Fab reminds Gargano that it wasn’t that long ago that he couldn’t stand Lumis but Johnny says that all of that is in the past and they’re looking to the future and regardless of what they say, his achievements in NXT speak for themselves so if he says that they’ll be facing MSK for the titles – that’s ‘The Way’ it’s going to be. Lumis looks at either team as if to challenge them to step up to them, but none of the five men shoot their shot. Gargano and Lumis leave as Hit Row and Nese/Daivari both agree that Gargano is deluded if he thinks that they are getting a tag team title opportunity over them.

NXT-Divder.png[

We are reminded of the attack on NXT Cruiserweight Champion, Kushida, last week at the hands of Imperium – who later went on to secure a dominant tag team victory on this past Friday’s episode of NXT Evolve. We cut to Nigel McGuinness office, where the three men are stood alongside Ari Sterling, who had found himself in the unusual position of supporting and defending “The Time Splitter” all the while wanting a championship opportunity of his own. McGuinness thanks the four men for being there and says he hopes that they can act with respect while they’re in his office. McGuinness puts over Kushida’s dominant reign as champion and says that the attack last week shows how he’s elevated the Cruiserweight title and put eyes on the product. Sterling asks the GM if that excuses the behaviour of Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner (who look pretty smug as they reminisce on their assault).

McGuinness rebuffs the accusation and says that he’s all about fairness, but he is also about seizing opportunities. Nigel continues that he previously had the ‘perfect candidate’ in mind to face Kushida but he has reconfigured his plan to make allowances for the three men before him, which he sells as giving Kushida plenty of opportunity to shine as a champion – he then adds that his candidate will have to hold on for now.

McGuinness books a tag team match next week and says there’ll be a catch – if Imperium win, they’ll face Kushida for the Cruiserweight Championship in a triple threat match at a date of their choosing. Alternatively, if Kushida and Sterling win, then Ari will become the number one contender and earn a title opportunity of his own. Kushida looks to “The Exclamation Point” and gives a knowing nod. Of course, McGuinness adds the stipulation that if there’s any shenanigans before that match, the opportunity will be forfeited altogether. Barthel says that Imperium stand for honour and integrity and McGuinness needn’t worry about them flouting any no-contact clauses but promises Kushida and Sterling that once they enter their sacred space, their actions will be anything but honourable.

The stare down is interrupted by a knock at the door as McGuinness ushers the men from his office to see Timothy Thatcher. Thatcher asks if he’s being considered for a spot in the Lucky 7 Qualifier match, following his impressive victory over Tyler Breeze on NXT Evolve. Before the GM can answer, Thatcher pleads his case and says that he is hungry for an opportunity and is left relieved when McGuinness relents and confirms that he will be competing – next week in fact – against none other than Pete Dunne.

Thatcher seems pretty pleased with the opportunity, unbothered at the prospect of facing “The Bruiserweight” but thanks McGuiness for the opportunity. McGuinness excuses Thatcher from his office, but as he exits the office and begins walking the Capitol Performance Center halls, he turns a corner and collides with Killian Dain. “The Beast of Belfast” looks far from impressed but doesn’t say a word. Thatcher looks to Dain, who had previously caught his attention on Evolve, before telling him to watch where he was going as Dain continues to watch him like a lion watching their prey.

Still to come tonight: LA Knight defends the Million Dollar Championship, Raquel González calls out Tian Sha and a blockbuster eight-woman tag team match.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

NXT-Divder.png[

Back from commercial and Alicia Taylor introduces the next bout as an eight-woman tag team match. Out first, the team of Tegan Nox and Shotzi, who found themselves caught up in the feud between Zoey Stark, Sarray, The Brand and Toni Storm last week, culminating in a brawl between all eight women. The crowd pop to see Shotzi driving out her TCB tank, with “The Girl with the Shiniest Wizard” riding on behind.

Out next, the team of Zoey Stark and Sarray, who get the PIP treatment. Zoey says that Sarray has had to learn a lot in a short space of time since coming to America from Japan. One of the hardest lessons has been about trust. Zoey says that Sarray looked up to Toni Storm, who had travelled the world and dominated the women’s wrestling scene and the only reason she can think that she would make a deal with the devils (The Brand) is that she feels threatened by “The Warrior of the Sun”. However, Zoey remarks that they should be scared of her too, because there’s only so many times someone can be backed into a corner before they strike back. Sarray says her kindness should not be mistaken for weakness and tonight Toni Storm will find out just how strong she is.

The lights go out as we see three silhouettes on the titantron. As the lights slowly begin to come on, we see Franky Monet, Jessi Kamea and Aliyah, also known as The Brand. Wade Barrett applauds Franky Monet for taking Jessi and Aliyah under her wing and using her veteran experience to help the younger talent blossom – unlike Robert Stone, who had only held them back. Barrett hails Monet as a star and says that the women’s division has never been so glamorous, but Vic disagrees and calls her the Regina George of NXT.

Finally, we see members of production hurry out with a display table. Then, the Mae Young Classic trophy is carried and put on the table, illuminated in light as the faces look at each other, baffled by Storm’s arrogance as he enters the arena. Storm makes her way down the entrance ramp, where she looks at the trophy and points, reminding everyone that she earned that.

Sarray looks laser-focused, not taking her gaze off of the Mae Young Classic trophy holder, but Storm is too busy feeling full of herself, looking out across the crowd.

Eight-Woman-Tag.png

Sarray steps to the center of the ring, looking to represent her team in the opening bell, looking to finally get some vengeance over Toni Storm, who is busy chatting away with The Brand. Storm takes a step back, realising her mistake as she slowly turns round to come face-to-face with “The Warrior of the Sun”. Storm attempts to clock Sarray with a sly forearm but Sarray forecasts it, ducking under and hitting a dropkick. Storm oversells the move completely for comic effect, splling to the outside and clutching her chest as if she had been winded. Referee, Aja Smith, tells Storm to get back into the ring so they can start things off but Storm argues she was never the legal woman and that Sarray isn’t playing fair. Sarray looks to Smith in confusion as Jessi Kamea grabs her by the hair and pulls her into a backbreaker.

Smith rings the bell as Toni Storm continues to ‘rest’ on the outside. Kamea hooks the leg with a desperate early cover but only scrapes a one-count. Kamea drags Sarray to her feet, throwing her into the ropes and following up with a spinning heel kick, taking “The Warrior of the Sun” down once again in the early stages. Barrett says that it’s not often we see Sarray shaken like this but Vic reminds him that her opponents don’t often play by the rules.

Zoey Stark holds her hand out for the tag as Sarray begins to crawl to her corner, getting back to her feet while Kamea steps out to the apron and once again drags Sarray back by her hair into the mat. Smith scalds Kamea for her action as Shotzi gives a warning of her own from the corner. Kamea rolls over the ropes with a slingshot somersault leg drop and shoots the fold…

ONE

TWO

Sarray kicks out! Kamea throws Sarray into her corner, making a tag to Aliyah. Monet and Storm hold Sarray in place long enough for “The Boujie Brawler” to shower off of her own athletic prowess with a handspring elbow. Once again, the referee is forced to issue a warning to Monet and Storm, but the latter quickly calls for a tag in a shocking move.

Barrett gloats about how this proves that Toni Storm isn’t afraid of Sarray as she licks her palm – shades of Trish Stratus – to deliver a thunder chop to the chest of the young Superstar. Storm begins to talk trash to Sarray, backing up as she slaps her hip to signal what’s coming next…

STORM CHARGES!

But misses as Sarray rolls to safety!

Not wanting any further part of the action, Toni quickly tags back out to Aliyah, who goes for the discus elbow to keep her opponent grounded. However, Sarray manages to duck under and hits another dropkick, sending Aliyah into the ropes as she collapses into the seated position. Sarray rallies the crowd and executes a low dropkick right to the fact of Aliyah, who clutches at her nose. Sarray manages to make the tag to Tegan Nox, who storms into the ring making a beeline for Kamea, Monet and Storm in the corner as she knocks each one down.

Aliyah attempts to strike but is met with an STO for her troubles as Nox hooks the leg but only manages a two-count. Vic reminds us how Tegan Nox returned from injury to NXT, with an agenda to become the NXT Women’s Champion but has since found herself competing alongside Shotzi, potentially becoming a tag team title contender instead. Barrett comments that Nox is one of the most resilient Superstars on the roster, having overcome numerous injuries, but is prone to becoming frantic and uncontrollable in a bid to impress the fans (a comment which Joseph disagrees with).

Nox lifts Aliyah into a sit-out gourdbuster, sending her opponent rolling over to the turnbuckle, playing straight into the hands of “The Welsh Wonder”. Nox looks set to hit a cannonball when Jessi Kamea drags Aliyah to the outside. Having had enough of The Brand’s antics, Shotzi swings around the ring post, looking to take care of business as she hits a cannonball of her own to the outside. Needing no time to recover, Shotzi feeds off the adrenaline and howls out to the NXT Universe and throws Aliyah back into the ring. Aliyah tries to get back to her feet but Nox grabs her, asking Shotzi if she wants more. At this point, Shotzi has already climbed the ropes as her tag team partner hits a chokeslam and makes the tag…

DIVING SENTON BY THE BALLSY BADASS!

ONE

TWO

But Franky Monet breaks things up!

Monet - who has not seen much ring action as of late – drags Shotzi off of Aliyah and receives a slap for her efforts. Shotzi follows up with a hesitation kick, before going to the ropes to hit a sling blade when Franky takes advantage and hits a Blue Thunder Bomb! The referee tells Franky to go back to her corner when out of nowhere, Sarray comes off of the top rope with a missile dropkick, taking the Prima Donna down. The two battle to the outside as Zoey Stark tags herself in and hits a half nelson suplex onto Aliyah. Wasting no time, she then hits a back elbow into the corner as Aliyah looks in poor form.

Meanwhile, Franky Monet finds herself in a dangerous spot out on the hard shoulder of the ring barrier as Sarray looks to hit a low dropkick to her ‘money maker’ only for Monet to roll out of the way at the last minute. Sarray cradles her ankle in pain as Monet tries to get over the trauma she nearly endured. Jessi Kamea attempts to enter the ring but Aja Smith catches her, causing Tegan Nox to meet her on the apron, where they exchange strikes, resulting in Kamea running Nox into the steel post. Shotzi then meets Jessi with a forearm and in a risky spot, hits a sliced bread onto the apron! Smith goes to check on the two women as Toni Storm makes use of the distraction to grab the Mae Young Classic trophy as and strike Stark across the back of the head as she sized Aliyah up for the Z-360!

Stark falls forward as Storm hides the trophy and tries to get the tag from a dazed and confused Aliyah…

TAG MADE!

Storm stomps into the ring and lifts Stark into a STORM ONE DDT!

Monet instructs the referee to count the pin…

ONE

TWO

Sarray attempts to limp back into the ring but Franky Monet grabs her by the ankle and pulls her back out.

THREE!

Shrieks are heard as Toni Storm quickly gets to her feet and holds her trophy before the booing crowd. A war-torn Jessi Kamea and Aliyah reunite with Franky Monet on the inside as the faces look angered by the result. Sarray holds her head in her hands, with Wade noting that this is her first loss in NXT (though she remains undefeated in singles action). Sarray tries to check on Zoey Stark, who holds the back of her head in anguish.

As the heels back out of the Capitol Wrestling Center, Toni Storm once again reminds the crowd how she’s the best female wrestler on the planet. The Brand taunt their opponents, brushing their hands like they’ve cleaned up the women’s division.

NXT-Divder.png[

McKenzie Mitchell is joined by NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions, Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell, who alongside Persia Pirotta are representing the ladies of The Way. McKenzie says she has an exclusive announcement pertaining to the future of the title as all three members of The Way look confused. McKenzie announces that as per the orders of Nigel McGuinness, the titles will be relinquished if the champions do not compete by the end of next week. Candice says this is unacceptable and calls McGuinness a coward for getting McKenzie to pass on this information without any prior warning. A confused Indi says she doesn’t really know why they haven’t been wrestling more and reminds Candice that she was ready to take on Kacy Catanzaro and Kayden Carter last week.

LeRae snaps at Indi, saying that they were not worthy of a title shot and the other women can squabble over each other as much as they want but if Nigel McGuinness wants The Way to compete then maybe he needs to set up a private meeting so that they can help him hire some actual competition. McKenzie asks The Way whether they’ll be competing before the deadline but before Indi can answer, Candice rushes off complaining of feeling lethargic as Indi and Persia are forced to follow in pursuit.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

NXT-Divder.png[

Back from the break, “The BruiserweightPete Dunne is discussing his match next week on NXT as he takes on Timothy Thatcher for a spot in the Lucky 7 Match at NXT Takeover: High Stakes. Dunne says he and Thatcher have had similar journeys in recent months, having unreliable allies (a reference to both Tommaso Ciampa and Oney Lorcan) and a revived vigour to climb the ranks to the NXT Championship. Dunne comments that things are changing, including his perspective. He was of the belief that Kings surround themselves with a strong cavalry but his footmen had only let him down.

Dunne reminds the viewers that he won the United Kingdom Championship without anyone at his side and that’s exactly what he intends to do moving forward. Returning to the topic of next week’s qualifier, Dunne informs the audience that he has beaten Thatcher in every match they’ve ever had together in the past (we see archived footage from Progress Wrestling of the two men going toe-to-toe). Dunne’s closing statement is that people need to forget about the past (as clips of Samoa Joe and Finn Bálor are shown) for he is the future, not just of NXT, but the entire company and that Timothy Thatcher will become just another stepping stone in his ascension.

NXT-Divder.png[

We re-join Alicia Taylor, who introduces the following match as a ‘Million Dollar Dream match’ for the Million Dollar Championship. Already in the ring, the challenger, Cal Bloom, a second-generation wrestler who was last seen a month ago (losing to Pete Dunne in his NXT debut). Wade Barrett hails this as the opportunity for Bloom, who has a chance to put his name on the map and make history, all thanks to the generosity of LA Knight. Vic Joseph takes us back to earlier in the night, where Bloom went to Knight for an autograph and somehow ended up with a title opportunity. Barrett says that, unlike Bronson Reed, LA Knight is a fighting champion and wants to usher in the younger talents.

The boos already begin to pour in as the Million Dollar Champion makes his way to the stage, demanding his music be cut off. With his command fulfilled, he proceed to walk down the entrance ramp and addresses the crowd.

LA KNIGHT
“Now that I’ve got rid of all that bad energy backstage earlier, I can finally talk to my adoring fans without interruption or negativity.” He looks around the Capitol Performance Center and nods. YEAH!” he then looks to the camera. “Bronson, big boy I hope they pick up the USA Network at Regal’s retirement home because you’re gonna wanna watch this, and see how a true champion goes about his business.”

He steps into the ring and looks around, continuing his rant.

LA KNIGHT
“You want to talk about High Stakes? I voluntarily decided to put my championship on the line against Carl here, not because I want to warm up or shine my ego, but because I want to nurture the young talent we have training here. We didn’t all get the indy darling treatment, Bronson, some of us have had to fight and claw our way to where we are….” He pauses. “I mean, not me, just look at me, I’m a bonified stud but guys like Carl here might not get opportunities with glory hogs like you as champion. You operate backstage, shaking hands with the right people when no one else is in the room, whereas I lay it all out here in the ring. At High Stakes, the biggest risk you took wasn’t putting both the NXT and North American titles on the line, it was agreeing to face ME! So let me give you a taste of what’s in store.”

He hands the microphone and the Million Dollar title over to the referee as he backs up into his corner, looking across from Bloom, awaiting the opening bell.

LA-Knight-vs-Cal-Bloom.png

As the bell rings, Knight walks up to Cal Bloom, looking somewhat emotional. We can hear him say that he did want to show Bronson Reed what’s coming to him, but he can’t treat a fan like that and offers a handshake. The live crowd plead with Bloom not to fall for it, but Bloom pays his respect and the two men shake hands. Knight follows it up by embracing Bloom with a hug. Barrett says that Knight exemplifies sportsmanship when out of nowhere Kight stomps on Bloom’s foot chop clocks his feel from behind to ground him.

Vic Joseph calls Knight a ‘snake’ and says that he’s backstabbed everyone hes’ ever encountered. The fans chant “you suck!” as Knight opts to ignore them. Knight charges at Bloom with a running knee strike, before he can even get back to his feet. He rolls his opponent over for the pin.

ONE

TWO

KICKOUT!

Knight looks somewhat surprised but pats Bloom on the back for his determination. He steps to the apron and waits for the rookie to get back to his feet as he comes over the ropes with a Battering Ram shoulder tackle! But Bloom steps back, leaning against the ropes and watches the champion collide with the mat. Looking around the crowd, Bloom realises that this is his moment to strike and and immediately connects with a Big Boot! Barrett cannot believe what he’s witnessing as Vic says Bloom needs to capitalise on Knight’s mistake.

Bloom scoops Knight up and hits a fallaway slam but Knight quickly rolls to the outside of the ring and calls for a timeout. The referee begins to initiate a count to ten, but while Bloom steps through the ropes, Knight rakes his eyes to the ire of the crowd. The referee warns Knight that he’s dangerously close to being disqualified but the ‘champion’ drags the camera operator into position and tells Bronson to ‘watch this’ as he steps up onto the apron and hits another running knee on Bloom as he dangles through the ropes.

Sliding back into the ring, Knight stands behind Bloom and hits the BFT. Rolling Bloom over to score the three-count and retain the title for the second time.

As Alicia Taylor announces the decision, Knight begins to put boots on Bloom, calling him ungrateful for turning on him (aka fighting back). Knight lifts Bloom back into position for the BFT when the crowd begin to cheer….

BRONSON REED IS IN THE BUILDING!

THE COLOSSAL THROWS HIS TITLES TO THE SIDE AND CHARGES TO THE RING….

LA KNIGHT LOOKS PANICKED AND HURRIEDLY EXITS THE RING, SNATCHING HIS TITLE BACK ALONG THE WAY!

Reed checks on Cal Bloom, helping him back to his feet as Knight reminds him that he can’t touch him (despite the fact he still ran away scared). Upon reaching the top, he looks down and notices the NXT and North American Championships and holds them up to Bronson Reed, perhaps indicating what we could see at Takeover. Reed and Bloom walk to the other side of the ring, causing Knight to hesitate and continue making his exit. The segment ends with Vic Joseph commenting on the real difference between the champion and contender, pointing out the challenger’s hypocrisy in how to treat new, developing talent.

NXT-Divder.png[

PREVIOUSLY ON NXT…

“(Bobby) Fish plays with his food as a dazed Chase tries to stay in the match, he kneels up to see “The Infamous One” in front of him asking him to hit him once more. Chase feebly tries to strike but Fish this time ducks behind and hits a roundhouse kick! D.A. Brewer warns Fish back as they check on Chase and quickly call for the bell. Barrett says that the signature move has been re-christened as The Final Act as Fish looks both happy to have won but saddened not to continue.”

We cut backstage where McKenzie Mitchell is standing by with “The Infamous One” Bobby Fish, who is decked out in a red velvet smoker’s jacket, a pair of black, thick-rimmed glasses and a bubble pipe.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL

“Bobby as…”

Fish immediately silences McKenzie, who stops in her tracks as he raises his hand as if he were directing traffic.

BOBBY FISH
“Mackenzie, Mackenzie, Mackenzie, this simply won’t do. You might be okay with this run-of-the-mill schtick with all your other guests but need I remind you, I am not just another guest." He looks off-camera, beckoning over a nervous young gentleman. “You, play Nocturne op.9 No.2 by Chopin…That's 'Chopin', with a C!” the young man doesn’t know whether to agree or disagree but simply rushes off, following orders. Fish casts his eye back to McKenzie, feeling the need to clarify himself “It helps me to unwind.”

Mackenzie looks perturbed as the music is piped into the set, she proceeds with her line of questioning.

MCKENZIE MITCHELL

“As I was saying, Bobby, last week you were successful in your first solo endeavour in quite some time when you won via knockout against Andre Chase. Following such a turbulent time with the Undis –“

Once again, Fish raises his hand to stop McKenzie from continuing.

BOBBY FISH

“I won’t have their name said – seriously I thought we discussed this! It’s bad enough that two of them are still dragging this on to tonight, but I don’t have to entertain it in my airtime. Last week, I did exactly what I promised the people I would do. I saw the critics, claiming it was all an act, all a bravado. However, I’ve never needed smoke and mirrors – I’m a true expert in my craft. I’m an aficionado of violence – and the people seem to agree with me. The reviews are in and it is tens, tens, TENS across the board for Robert Anthony Fish and with everyone looking to get lucky in Sin City, you can bet that all eyes are on NXT’s Leading Man to claim a spot in that Lucky 7 lmatch.”

Just then there’s a chuckle from across the set.

???

“You and everyone else…”

Fish looks disgruntled as the camera pans across to show Cameron Grimes has invaded the set. He looks up listening to the music and shakes his head.

CAMERON GRIMES

“What is this? A play or something?”

McKenzie shakes her head and informs him they’re in the middle of an interview, but once again, Fish raises his hand to cut her off.

BOBBY FISH

“Surely you can see I’m in the middle of an interview here!? Even you can’t be that dim-witted.”

CAMERON GRIMES
“Well maybe I bumped my head and lost my damn mind, that would explain why you’re roamin’ around here pretending to be Sherlock Holmes all of a sudden and why you have the neck to call yourself the leadin’ man as if you’ve not been at the bottom of the totem pole for the past couple o’years.”

Fish’s frustration and disgust is evident as he boils like a tea kettle. He then begins to call out to the camera crew, bellowing away.

BOBBY FISH

Cut the music. This interview is over! I can’t work like this…amateurs the lot of you! I can’t work in these conditions.”

But before he leaves, Fish steps towards Grimes, who shows no signs of backing down.

BOBBY FISH

“You best hope I never have to lay eyes on you again, Grimes. Because if I do, you might find out why they call me…”

CAMERON GRIMES
“Yeah, yeah.” He does the air quotes “’ infamous’, I know.”

With that, Fish slopes away as Grimes looks to Mackenzie and simply brushes off the threat, clearly not intimidated by NXT’s Leading Man.

NXT-Divder.png[

We re-join Vic and Wade ringside as they remind us of the insensitive message sent by Tian Sha in response to Dakota Kai’s sit-down interview last week:

坏种子
[THE BAD SEED]

“Once there was a very special girl, who embarked on a journey for a better life. While she had the strength of the dragon, she still could not find fulfilment. Despite the words of The Mother, she still could not claim the glory she sought. The obstacle grew stronger…” We see a point-of-view shot of Raquel González re-grouping with Mercedes Martinez this past week on NXT. Insinuating that they were being watched from afar. “and that made the special girl feel weak. The Mother reminded the girl of the tale of the bad seed. The bad seed planted themselves around the obstacle to make the obstacle strong, the bad seed also wanted to grow and become more powerful – The Mother was unhappy.” We then see a clip of Dakota Kai confronting Mei Ying, only to receive the ominous black mist in the face, blinding her. “The bad seed could not grow any longer.” Footage from Dakota’s tearful sit-down interview with Mauro Ranallo begins to play on screen. “Without the bad seed, the special girl can grow and the foundations of the obstacle are weaned. The strength of the dragon was renewed and the special girl…” we see an intense clip of Xia Li training alongside Boa. “would rise again.”

天煞

As confirmed on ‘What’s NeXT’ earlier in the week, the NXT Women’s Champion Raquel González was far from impressed by Tian Sha’s clap back and challenged one of the members to a match tonight. Vic reminds us that Mei Ying is currently serving a suspension, following the attack on Kai and therefore is not in the building this evening.

There’s a pop for the defiant champion as she bursts out from behind the curtain onto the stage, holding her championship proudly. Wade notes that Raquel may be smiling, but she looks like she means business tonight as she storms to the ring and takes the microphone.

González says she thought she dealt with her little problem at NXT: End of the Line when she beat Xia Li and dispelled the myth of Tian Sha, but for some reason they just keep on coming back. Raquel says that the trio are lucky that she’s had a few days to collect herself because a couple of days ago, she was ready to take them all on single-handedly. Raquel says she’s not one for riddles, in fact, she been rather clear about where she stands and demands that they respond to her challenge and tell her who’s ass she’ll be kicking.

The lights go out and the screen fades to dark. A familiar symbol appears on the titantron, with a fire graphic.

As the lights come back on in the Capitol Performance Center, we see Xia Li standing at the top of the entrance ramp looking down at the champion. González asks Xia whether she would be stupid enough to step foot in the ring with her again after the last time. Xia doesn’t respond, instead, she glares across the arena at “Big Mami”, who decides to goad her foe. Raquel says if Xia wants another crack at ‘the obstacle’ (Mei Ying’s nickname for her) then she’s waiting. González removes the championship as Li begins to make her way down to the ring, albeit very slowly. The static of the microphone echoes across the room as the champion throws it on the ring mat and readies herself for battle when…

FROM UNDER THE RING….

BOA!

Xia smiles as she continues to distract González. Boa slides into the ring with a kendo stick in hand as he cracks it across the back of the champion….

But Raquel complete no-sells the attack!

Instead, she turns around to face “The Noble Man” and grabs him by the throat. Suddenly, Xia rushes into the ring and begins to hammer on the back of the champion, who finds herself overwhelmed by the duo as the titantron shows an image of the evil Mei Ying, who simply watches on from her signature throne. The crowd cheer as Mercedes Martinez comes running from out the back with a chair in hand, rolling into the ring and swinging maniacally.

Both Xia Li and Boa manage to escape unscathed as once again “The Brass City Bruiser” proves to be the equalizer in this equation. Mercedes extends her hand and pulls González to her feet as the champion takes her belt and the microphone. González proves that she isn’t in NXT to play games as she tells Boa she’ll meet him in the ring next week and holds her championship up high to a big pop from the crowd.

Wade Barrett believes that the champion has bitten off more than she can chew but Vic Joseph argues that if anyone can win in intergender action, it’s “The Obstacle” herself. However, Barrett ponders González’s chances without the assist from her ‘new best friend’ Mercedes Martinez, who he claims is following Raquel like a bad smell. Vic argues that given what we’ve seen from Tian Sha, having safety in numbers is also a wise decision.

And with that, we head to the final commercial break of the evening as we see a split-screen shot of both Kyle O’Reilly and Roderick Strong walking the halls. Their Lucky 7 Qualifier is NEXT!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

NXT-Divder.png[

We return from commercial as we prepare for tonight’s main event. Before we get there, commentary advertises the action for next week’s episode, including Timothy Thatcher vs. Pete Dunne, to determine the fourth spot in the Lucky 7 match at High Stakes. Imperium will face Ari Sterling and Kushida in a tag team match that will determine whether “The Time Splitter’s” new contender(s) for the NXT Cruiserweight will be friend or foe. Then, as we found out before the commercial the NXT Women’s Champion, Raquel González, will face Boa in rare intergender action.

Before we can continue, Wade Barrett announces that he had a tip-off during the commercial break from LA Knight himself and next week, he will once again defend the Million Dollar Championship and ‘make dreams’ come true in another Million Dollar Dreams match. Barrett applauds Knight’s dedication and says Bronson Reed needs to take note and defend one of his championships once in a while. Vic Joseph tries to muster a response but is cut off by the sound of “The Next Level”.

ALICIA TAYLOR
“Your NXT main event of the evening is a Lucky 7 Qualifying match, scheduled for one fall with TV time remaining. Introducing first, from Tampa, Florida, weighing 203 pounds…RODERICK STRONG!

The former NXT Tag Team and North American Champion makes his way out to the stage to a respectful reaction from the crowd. Strong peels back his good as he punches the air and hypes up the crowd for one of the most important matches in his career. Vic Joseph reminds us that the Lucky 7 match will provide the chance for a shot at the NXT Championship opportunity, with a second on the line to challenge for any of the other available titles. Barrett quickly chips in and points out that one briefcase will always send the recipient on their way out the door.

Strong steps up into the ring before dropping to his knees and hammering the ring mat, once again looking to get the crowd onside. Vic ponders the mental pressure on this match for both men, given the implosion of Undisputed Era. Barrett says that Kyle O’Reilly won’t rest until he’s stomped all over the memory of Adam Cole’s creation.

“Axe & Smash” begins to play as “Cool Kyle” makes his way out for his first match since End of the Line. O’Reilly doesn’t seem to be playing games tonight. Instead, he slowly makes his way to the ring, not trying to rally the crowd or talk trash to his opponent.

ALICIA TAYLOR

“And his opponent, making his way to the ring from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, weighing 206 pounds…KYLE O’REILLY!

Once in the ring, “The Violent Artist” climbs to the top rope and poses before the NXT Universe. Stepping back to the mat, Strong and O’Reilly go nose-to-nose, with Kyle placing his hand on the back of his opponent’s head to show that whatever might go down tonight, there’s mutual respect.

Referee, Tom Castor, steps between the two men as they go to their respective corners. Looking to the timekeeper, Castor calls for the bell to get the match underway.

Kyle-O-Reilly-vs-Roderick-Strong.png

The two men meet in the middle of the ring again, they hesitantly shake hands, putting their friendship aside as they then try to jockey for position. O’Reilly wins the lock-up, wrenching Roddy’s arm before Strong manages to step behind and hits a headlock takeover. Roderick continues to apply pressure but “The Violent Artist” uses his legs to try and trap his former UE ally. However, before O’Reilly can lock his legs in, Strong manages to kip up.

Both men get back to their feet before charging at each other, this time O’Reilly hits the takedown and the two men repeat the sequence (in reverse). The duo retreat back to their corners, Vic Joseph notes that these two know each other so well, having first faced each other a decade ago.

The two men tussle again, with Strong attempting a monkey flip but O’Reilly instead uses the finger lock to roll Roderick over and lock in a body scissor. Strong attempts to escape the hold but O’Reilly quickly releases the lock and transitions the move into a cross-arm breaker! The crowd begin to cheer for Kyle, but Strong manages to use his power to roll O’Reilly over for a two-count!

Diverting away from chain wrestling, Strong runs the ropes and floors O’Reilly with a big shoulder block. Roddy looks to run the ropes again for a leg/elbow drop, but Kyle rolls over, causing Strong to jump over and try to change his tactics as he ducks under O’Reilly, only for Kyle to then do the same and attempt a roundhouse kick – but Strong clings onto the ropes to save himself. Kyle approaches but takes a boot to the jaw for his efforts, Strong attempts a clothesline but O’Reilly ducks under and delivers a boot of his own.

The crowd applaud both men, who seem to be matching each other with everything they have. Barrett says that neither man wants to give their opponent the advantage, but ultimately there has to be one winner. Vic Joseph reminds us that Samoa Joe and Finn Bálor have both qualified following last week’s impressive exhibition match.

O’Reilly goes to run the ropes again, but this time Strong stalks him and hits the knee to the midsection. O’Reilly seems to take it hard, showing that he might not be at 100% still following the brutal Three Strikes match. The tension mounts with Strong delivering a stiff chop to his former bandmate’s chest across the ropes. Roderick looks for a dropkick but Kyle manages to avoid it and goes for the double foot stomp but Strong rolls out to safety before attempting a roll-up for another two count.

O’Reilly again goes for a roundhouse kick but Strong ducks it and hits a calf kick! “The Messiah of the Backbreaker” once again goes for the pin…

ONE

TWO

NO!

Frustrated, Strong lifts O’Reilly to his feet and delivers a series of chops to take him in into the turnbuckles, then proceeds to lift him into a pendulum backbreaker, living up to his moniker. Strong tries for yet another pin…

ONE

TWO

BUT O’REILLY KICKS OUT AGAIN!

Keeping his focus on the match, Strong quickly turns the move into a surfboard stretch. Barrett points out that Strong is sticking to his wheelhouse here, targeting the back and chipping away until O’Reilly can’t stand or kick out. Strong breaks the hold before attempting the Strong Hold (Single leg Boston Crab), but O’Reilly manages to make his way to the ropes, having sensed danger ahead. Castor warns Strong back having called the rope break, but Strong delivers a sly kick just to add insult to injury.

Strong whips O’Reilly in the corner and charges, looking to inflict further damage but “The Martial Artist” musters the strength to send Roddy up and over to the canvas. Strong tries with the forearm but Kyle blocks it and snaps the arm over the top rope. Strong knees in pain as O’Reilly steps to the outside, where the two men come to blows, exchanging forearms. Strong grabs Kyle and lifts him, looking for a belly-to-back suplex on the patented hardest part of the ring but O’Reilly wisely uses his elbows to get to safety, O’Reilly then jumps onto Strong and locks in a Guillotine – Vic Joseph points out that it’s an illegal hold on the apron but it can certainly do some damage.

Strong begins to fade but O’Reilly only has five seconds to apply the submission before he releases the hold and throws Strong back into the ring, where he meets him with an axe kick/forearm smash combination. Kyle hits a running knee to the back, causing Roderick to roll to the ropes on the other side of the ring, using his ring awareness to prevent Kyle from being able to submit or pin him.

Strong gets back up in the corner of the ring as O’Reilly looks for a roaring elbow…

BUT STRONG CATCHES HIM AND HITS A BACKBREAKER!

ONE

TWO

KICKOUT!

Roderick Strong looks to follow up with the lariat but O’Reilly catches the arm and once again goes for the cross-arm breaker! Strong begins to panic, but manages to move to get his heel under the bottom rope, forcing Kyle to break the hold. O’Reilly climbs the ropes, looking to go high risk, but sensing his chances slipping away from him, Strong uses the ropes to hit an elevated enzigiri to the temple of his opponent. Kyle manages to keep his balance as he seats himself on the top rope but Strong is delivering some clubbing blows to Kyle’s back as he climbs to the second rope and then to the top.
The two men waver on the top rope, could this be what Roderick Strong needs…

SUPERPLEX!

NO!

O’Reilly manages to his a front suplex on Strong from the top rope!

Strong rolls into position for a diving knee!

Can O’Reilly hit it!?

NO!

Some way, somehow Roderick Strong managed to avoid the attack as O’Reilly favours his knee now. While Roderick gets to his and once again, the two men begin to slug it out as they make it back to their feet. O’Reilly unwisely goes for a high knee but is caught by Roderick Strong….he manages to wriggle out of another caught backbreaker but Strong immediately lifts him up and goes for…

DEATH BY RODERICK!

THE FIREMAN’S CARRY DOUBLE KNEE GUTBUSTER!

COVER!

ONE

TWO

THREE!

NO!?

The referee raises two fingers to the timekeeper – this match will continue.

Strong sizes O’Reilly up for the End of Heartache, he hoists O’Reilly up but before he can fully execute it, Kyle drops to his feet and hits Regal-plex from nowhere!

ONE

TWO

KICKOUT!

Before the referee can even signal two, Kyle transitions the move into another cross-arm breaker! Strong is left in the middle of the ring with nowhere to go and very little time.

WILL HE MAKE IT TO THE ROPES?

OR WILL HE TAP?

…..

STRONG TAPS OUT!

“Axe & Smash” begins to play, prompting O’Reilly to break the hold as Alicia Taylor announces him as the winner of the match. Tom Castor raises Kyle’s hand in victory as Vic Joseph puts over how Kyle fights like every match is his last. O’Reilly looks to Roderick, who his cradling his arm as he approaches and pats him on the back as a mark of respect but as he looks up…

SAMOA JOE!

The Samoan Submission Machine glares down at “The Martial Artist”, who has just booked himself a ticket to High Stakes. The countdown before these two men would meet in the ring had just begun. The crowd try to rally the two men to come to blows, but they would have to save that for another night. Tonight, Joe is trying to win the mental battle but as always, O’Reilly refused to go down without a fight. Vic Joseph thanks us for tuning in and says goodnight on behalf of him and Wade as NXT goes off the air with the final image of Joe smiling down at Kyle O'Reilly in the ring.

NXT-Divder.png[

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RDT, Deco90 and Jam

Looking Glass

Reaction score

What-s-Ne-XT.png

NXT EVOLVE [EPISODE #3] ‣ "WHAT'S NeXT" PREVIEW

"Hello everyone, I'm McKenzie Mitchell and this is your sneak peek into this week's action-packed edition of NXT Evolve. We are currently gearing up for our first-ever visit to Las Vegas, but before we can get to Sin City, there's bad blood and scores to be settled..."

Divider.png

The-Way-vs-A2-Z.png

"The women's division has been - in a word- chaotic as of late, yet the ladies of The Way haven't been so keen on getting involved in the action. However, that soon changed after Nigel McGuinness issued the NXT Women's Tag Team Champions with an ultimatum - they would either have to compete or risk being stripped of their titles. The rumour mill has been busy with whispers that Candice LeRae isn't at 100%, while others accuse her of just trying to hold the titles hostage. Either way, we'll find out what state the champions are in this week when they take on the competitive duo of Amari Miller and Zayda Ramier. Miller and Ramier appear to have united in an effort to stand out amongst the tag division, but will they be able to strike lucky in their first outing or will they be shown 'The Way' by the champions?"

Divider.png

Cameron-Grimes-vs-Tyler-Rust.png

"The announcement of the Lucky 7 Match at High Stakes has the locker room in a frenzy. An opportunity for seven Superstars to compete for three briefcases - one containing a No. 1 contender contract for the NXT Championship and a second to challenge for any other eligible title of the recipient's choice and a final case that will terminate the Superstar's contract. Cameron Grimes is a man all about risk and reward, but will a victory this week be enough to make him stand out? This week he returns to the ring to take on the technician, Tyler Rust. Both men are desperate to get their names on the map after recent misfortunes, but with Malcolm Bivens at Rust's side, could he be the difference maker or will "The Carolina Caveman" prevail?"

Divider.png

Kona-Reeves-vs-Leon-Ruff.png

"Kona Reeves re-introduced himself to the NXT Universe in controversial fashion on the very first episode of Evolve, with some accusing "The Finest" of trying to steal Camelo Hayes' thunder following his win over former NXT North American Champion, Leon Ruff. One man who didn't take too kindly to Reeves' reappearance was Ruff himself, resulting in this week's match. Will Leon Ruff be able to put Reeves on notice or will "The Hawaiian Hotshot" succeed in his mission to 're-fine' NXT?"

Divider.png

Nese-Daivari-vs-Grey-Jiro.png

"And speaking of trying to turn one's fortunes, the team of August Grey and Ikemen Jiro have found themselves struggling since Drake Maverick took it upon himself to try and elevate the team. Their opponents, Ariya Daivari and Tony Nese, also have something to prove as seen this past Tuesday when they were caught in a heated exchange with Hit Row and The Way. With so much to prove, which team will find themselves going up the pecking order and heading closer towards a potential NXT Tag Team title opportunity?"

Divider.png

"Tune in this Thursday for an all-new episode of NXT Evolve, because if you're not watching, you're only getting half the story! As always, I've been McKenzie Mitchell and this has been "What's NeXT"!

Divider.png

Last edited:

Deco90

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
You're back with another show, FINALLY!! :D Great to see you post another episode mate, I'm super excited to check this out.

NXT [EPISODE #465] ‣ TUESDAY 20 JULY, 2021 REVIEW:

- Simple little recap to start the show. I think hearing what Samoa Joe has to say is definitely a major draw for this episode and I can't wait to see what he says. Barrett & Vic Joseph running down the card too! Looking good to me.

- Really enjoyed the very babyface promo from O'Reilly, returning to a good ovation. Excited to see where he goes from here as IRL he really kind of lost momentum and seemingly favour after the Adam Cole feud which is a shame.

Joe coming out and saying exactly what he thought was nice! I guess not too much of an explanation as why attacked Balor other then he did so because he can, I guess - but I liked it regardless! The line about him opening the door to Indy darlings worked really well here with O'Reilly the latest in the line.

Nigel McGuiness announcing the Lucky 7 Match! YES! YES! YES! That sounds so awesome. Fits the whole Vegas theme so damn good with the high risk elements - Good stuff man! :)

Kyle O'Reilly vs Roderick Strong in tonight's Main Event is great too! Should be a BANGER! Nice little note with the commercial break footage teasing some tension and playing into the match story.

- Did I like the LA Knight interview segment? "YEEAAAAAHHHH" - Good stuff here with LA Knight. Getting Bloom to repeat his respect and appreciation was so on brand for the ever arrogant LA Knight. The Million Dollar Dreams Match is great too, suits the gimmick of the Champion Knight so well.

- "If they wake up and smelt the maple syrup" Haha! :D Nice set up for the Tag Team match and the actual match was absolutely fine too. Good job of having Hit Row, and of course Bivens playing into the match and expanding those stories too. MSK pick up the win though and the duo continue their impressive form.

- Following on from the Tag match, I enjoyed this showcase of the Tag Division with a few teams having their say and getting some airtime - could use of a segment here having so many involved without it feeling forced or too much.

- I like how Nigel is coming across as GM early in his tenure. Match made between IMPERIUM vs KUSHIDA & Sterling works well and I'm interested to see what happens there. Nice to see someone like Sterling become a factor here on NXT because it's a blank canvas in terms of the character and I do think that's such a strength of yours, using people that aren't often featured and creating something interesting with them - kudos mate!

Thatcher vs Dune next week?! Gimme that! Should be good.

- Big Women's Tag Team match next and instantly I love that Toni Storm brought out the Mae Young Classic trophy for a couple of reasons. Plays into the arrogance and I'm better than you factor of the character, but also gives the MYC some extra prestige and serves as a remainder to the WWE Universe if you was to do another one.

Nice match! Totally fine with the winners and think it was a good choice to go with Storm and The Brand picking up the victory to continue their momentum. Again, Storm presenting the trophy and over-celebrating it is awesome.

- Hmm. A little dissention in the ranks of the Way. Wondering if the lethargic line at the end is a little shoot comment into the fact Candice is pregnant? I can't remember when the timelines occurred IRL but seemed that way to me - I guess we will see.

- Change of perspective for Pete Dunne. Interesting.

- LA Knight LOL! The line of him nurturing young talent and how if it wasn't for him, a 6ft5 giant with wrestling in his family blood wouldn't get a chance was pretty funny to me. You portray him really well, LG.

Knight being that chicken-shit Heel and the mental image of him holding up the North American & NXT Championships was nice! Perhaps a sign of what's to come? Although, I don't see "big boy" Bronson losing personally.

-I'M LOVING YOUR VERSION OF BOBBY FISH Haha! Great stuff man, and having Cameron Grimes get involved and ruin the interview was good too. Enjoyed all of this.

- Kudos for the creativity of the Tian Sha vignette. I'm completely hooked and I CAN'T WAIT to see what's to come. So much potential with that group that sadly faded IRL.

The segment that followed with 'Big Mami Cool' looking a complete badass & Mercedes the equalizer in the situation was nice.

- MAIN EVENT TIME! Great match, LG. Everything it needed to be with it looking and feeling like it could go either way. Strong being forced to tap makes O'Reilly look great on his return and the Lucky 7 Match is shaping up nicely! Samoa Joe with the stare down setting the scene and continuing the tension was a good way to end the show.

Overall; Another good show, LG. There was nothing I didn't enjoy here, and so much that I'm just excited to see how things play out. I'm still looking at the Knight/Bronson Reed feud as a booking nightmare with the Championships but the actual feud I'm starting to really enjoy! Again, it's a strength of yours to take the "lesser" characters like a Bobby Fish at this stage and make them interesting and give them a new lease of life. High Stakes looks like it's going to be a hell of Takeover with the history-making Lucky 7 Match which suits the Vegas theme so well.

Can't wait to see and read more from you bro!

• Love

Looking Glass

Reaction score

00-NXT-Evolve-2.png

NXT EVOLVE [EPISODE #03] ‣ THURSDAY 22 JULY, 2021

We are welcomed to NXT Evolve with no time to spare as Kevin Patrick and Wade Barrett throw us straight into the action. Our first match of the evening sees NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions, "The Poison Pixie" Candice LeRae and her loyal ally, Indi Hartwell make their way to the ring, accompanied by Persia Pirotta, who had found herself as somewhat of an understudy to the champions. The trio carries an air of confidence and mischief as we’re reminded that Nigel McGuiness was not best pleased with the pair's refusal to compete.

Kevin Patrick points out that the rumour mill has been swirling with speculation that Candice might be injured and trying to avoid ring time at risk of losing the titles, but Wade Barrett tells him that he shouldn’t make false allegations and that the problem could be down to the fact that there simply isn’t the competition in the division. Patrick scoffs, before listing Kayden Carter & Kacy Catanzaro, The Brand, and Tegan Nox & Shotzi as just some of the credible contenders.

Divider.png

DENNIS ARNELL

“The following non-title contest is a tag team match scheduled for one fall with a twenty-minute time limit! Introducing first, accompanied by Persia Pirotta and representing The Way, the NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions – Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell!”

Candice fans herself in the ring, asking the referee to check on her as Persia and Indi swarm around her. As their entrance concludes, the spotlight shifts to the entrance ramp once again.

DENNIS ARNELL

“And their opponents, the team of Amari Miller and Zayda Ramier!”

There’s mild applause from the NXT Universe as Amari Miller and Zayda Ramier make their debut as a tag team. The energetic duo exudes determination and excitement, ready to take on their seasoned opponents. Patrick says that Miller and Ramier caught up with the WWE social media team earlier today to explain their new-found partnership.

A PIP pops up to show the two women standing together, explaining that they have both had a rocky start on the brand as singles competitors and have decided to match their styles together to create a tag team with energy like no other. Zayda says that they are honoured to wrestle their debut tag team match against the champions and that while the titles may not be on the line, they’re going to show them that A2Z are the future of the tag team division.

The-Way-vs-A2-Z.png

Returning to the squared circle, the bell rings to start the match. Candice LeRae and Amari Miller step into the ring as the legal competitors. Despite earlier concerns over her well-being, Candice now seems fine as she holds out her hand as a mark of respect. Miller goes to accept the offer from the champion before Candice delivers a stiff slap to the face!

Miller is taken aback as Candice quickly tags out of the match, allowing Indi Hartwell to step up to the plate. Candice rolls out of the ring, feigning frustration as Persia checks on her. Indi enters the ring with a confident smirk, only for Amari Miller to begin her offensive assault. Zayda Ramier cheers her partner on from the corner.

Amari Miller quickly gets the upper hand over Hartwell, impressing the fans (and her tag team partner) with her tenacity. Patrick points out that this could be due to ring rust from where Hartwell hasn’t had the chance to wrestle since winning the belts.

Indi manages to create an opening and tags Candice back into the match. Candice re-enters the ring, but instead of engaging with Amari, she provocatively taunts the crowd, seemingly uninterested in the match. This only frustrates Miller, who feels invalidated and disrespected by her much more experienced opponent.

Amari attempts to strike Candice, only for the latter to fall against the ropes and complain to the referee that she thinks she heard something crack in her body. Referee, Aja Smith, checks over LeRae as a frustrated Miller attempts to get LeRae into the match, only to have her eyes raked. The crowd boo as the referee completely misses the underhanded tactics.

Another tag made to Hartwell now, who rejoins the match with a thunderous Big Boot! Picking over the scraps once again as she makes the cover.

ONE

TWO

But Amari Miller stays alive as Zayda Ramier breathes a sigh of relief from her corner, albeit still concerned that her partner is on the wrong side of the ring.

As the match progresses, Candice and Persia become increasingly involved from the outside, distracting the referee and interfering in the match discreetly. Despite the cheating, Amari and Zayda continue to fight valiantly, refusing to back down.

In the climax of the match, Miller hits a jumping neck breaker onto Hartwell, who has wrestled the lion share of the match for her team. Miller tags in Zayda Ramier, who climbs to the top rope looking to land a 450 splash when Candice once again manages to deliver a well-timed distraction, complaining to Smith once again of feeling unwell. This allows Persia Pirotta to sneak up onto the apron and shove Ramier, sending her crashing to the mat. Miller chases after Pirotta, looking to avenge her partner as LeRae suddenly tags herself into the match as she skips over and nonchalantly covers Ramier…

ONE

TWO

THREE!

The bell rings, and Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell are declared the winners. The duo smirks as they celebrate their victory, clearly satisfied with their cunning tactics as they are handed their title belts. Miller looks frustrated for allowing herself to become distracted as she tends to her tag team partner.

DENNIS ARNELL

“Here are your winners via pinfall, the NXT Women’s Tag Team Champions, Candice LeRae and Indi Hartwell – The Way!”

As Candice and Indi exit the ring, the fans cheer as the image of Nigel McGuinness appears on the titantron.

NIGEL MCGUINNESS

“Ladies and gentlemen, what we witnessed here tonight was a display of underhanded tactics and deception. I know I said I wanted to see you both back in the ring, but if you think that was enough to keep me happy, then you had better think again. Now, I’m NOT going to strip you of the Women’s Tag Team Championships, but for the past few weeks you’ve gone through every excuse in the book as to why you can’t defend the belts – so I’m going to help you make a decision. At NXT Takeover: High Stakes, you two WILL be defending your titles and your opponents…well they’ll be decided in a good old-fashioned gauntlet match! You thought you could pull the wool over my eyes, but I’m one step ahead ladies, let this be a lesson to you.”

The camera zooms in on Nigel McGuinness' stern expression as the announcement reverberates throughout the arena, leaving Candice and Indi shocked and appalled. Persia attempts to console them, but LeRae’s anger escalates quickly and she storms off, leaving her young lions behind as it seems that on this occasion The Way had not gotten their own (way).

Vic and Wade digest McGuinnes’ bombshell before they run down the remainder of this evening’s matches, including tag team action in the main event as August Grey and Ikemen Jiro take on the team of Ariya Daivari and Tony Nese and following last week’s exchange, Kona Reeves will return to the ring to take on Leon Ruff. Up next, however, Tyler Rust will face off against Cameron Grimes, with both men looking to prove themselves – who would come out on top?

Divider.png

Backstage, Malcolm Bivens is heard on the phone telling the person(s) on the other end that they need to reconsider his offer once they’re a little less heated. We see Tyler Rust enter the locker room at this exact moment as he lingers by the door, eavesdropping on the conversation.

Bivens hangs up the call, turning to see Rust and asks if he’s ready to get things back on track. Rust, not looking to play games asks Bivens whom he was just talking to but when he’s given an evasive excuse, Rust assumes that he was hassling Ever-Rise again, reminding him how desperate he looked invading Ever-Rise Live last week.

“Big Mal” reminds Tyler that he isn’t “Mrs Bivens” and he doesn’t get to question his practices. Bivens says that he’s expanding his enterprise because that’s how he goes about business and when things take off, the entire wrestling world will remember how Rust was at the forefront of the Bivens empire – that’s if he still wants to be. Rust doesn’t give anything away, but he eventually relents and tells him that he’s going to continue getting ready for his match.

We’re told that Grimes versus Rust is next…

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Divider.png

Fresh from the commercial, we get a video package highlighting what went down on this past week’s episode of NXT, including, the announcement of the Lucky 7 match – a ladder match that would take place at NXT Takeover: High Stakes in Las Vegas, Nevada. Think Money in the Bank, only the risk is higher, but so is the reward! Three contracts are up for grabs, the first grants a title match to the NXT Championship, the second grants a title match to any other title the recipient may be eligible for and the final terminates the contract of the holder with immediate effect. General Manager Nigel McGuinness announced both Finn Bálor and Samoa Joe as the first entrants for the impressive exhibition match last week, while Kyle O’Reilly and Roderick Strong would battle it out for the third spot. In the main event, we see O’Reilly’s arm raised in victory as “The Samoan Submission Machine” once again made his place in NXT known.

Kushida and Ari Sterling were told that they would face Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner of Imperium next week. Following the latter’s attack on the NXT Cruiserweight Champion, it would seem that they wanted an opportunity to end “The Time Splitter’s” hot reign, but in another McGuinness twist, it was stipulated that they will only get that shot if they can defeat the champion and Sterling, otherwise “The Exclamation Point” will challenge Kushida instead.

Raquel González laid out a challenge to any member of Tian Sha following their spiteful message about the blinded Dakota Kai last week. It appeared that Xia Li would once again step up to the NXT Women’s Champion, only for González to be hit with a weapon by “The Nobleman” Boa – who will face the champion in rare intergender action. Tian Sha tried to overwhelm “Big Mami” only for Mercedes Martinez to once again come to the champion’s aid.

Elsewhere, LA Knight successfully ‘defended’ the Million Dollar Championship against Cal Bloom, but his post-match antics roused the attention of his opponent at Takeover as NXT Champion, “The Big Boy” Bronson Reed, made the save.

Divider.png

As we return, there’s excitement in the air as the crowd roars in anticipation of the upcoming match. The stage is set for a clash between two formidable competitors: the eccentric and charismatic Cameron Grimes, and the technical wizard Tyler Rust.

DENNIS ARNELL

“The following bout is scheduled for one fall with a twenty-minute time limit. Introducing first, from Raleigh, North Carolina, weighing in at 210 pounds, Cameron Grimes!”

The crowd erupts in cheers as Cameron Grimes makes his way to the ring, strutting confidently and flaunting his ostentatious persona. He wears a flashy cowboy hat and a bejewelled jacket, soaking in the adoration of the NXT Universe. Despite having not had much luck in the squared circle as of late, Grimes looks confident as ever as he makes his way to the ring, hoping that his performance will be enough to get him an opportunity as one of the Lucky 7.

DENNIS ARNELL

“And his opponent, accompanied to the ring by Malcolm Bivens, from Detroit, Michigan, weighing in at 205 pounds, Tyler Rust!”

There’s a mixed response from the crowd as Rust makes his way out through the curtain, alongside Malcolm Bivens. He exudes an air of quiet intensity, focused on the task at hand. Rust enters the ring with an aura of determination, ready to prove his mettle.

Patrick and Barrett discuss the dynamic between Rust and Bivens, given the latter’s unsuccessful pursuit of Ever-Rise, creating tension between the two. Barrett sides with Bivens, citing that he’s a businessman looking to acquire new talent while Patrick believes he might want to focus on making a star out of Rust before he spreads himself too thin.

Cameron-Grimes-vs-Tyler-Rust.png

The bell rings, and the match is underway. Grimes and Rust circle each other cautiously, sizing up their opponent's strengths and weaknesses. Grimes taunts Rust with his over-the-top antics, clearly aiming to get under his skin while having fun with the crowd in attendance. This doesn’t seem to affect the cold demeanour of Tyler Rust, who seems unfazed and disciplined, the antithesis of his opponent.

Rust finally lunges forward, attempting a swift takedown on Grimes. Grimes, however, uses his agility to slip out of Rust's grasp, causing Rust to crash into the turnbuckle. Grimes seizes the opportunity and lands a series of quick punches, staggering Rust as he showcases his striking ability.

Rust regains his composure and counters with a textbook arm drag, demonstrating his technical prowess. He targets Grimes' arm, trying to wear him down. Rust – known for his submission holds and joint manipulation – continues to grind Grimes down as Bivens hammers on the ring apron, trying to play mind games with “The Carolina Caveman”.

As the match progresses, both wrestlers exchange a series of impactful moves, with Grimes showcasing his unorthodox style and Rust relying on his technical finesse. Grimes manages to hit a stunning enzuigiri, followed by a suplex that leaves Rust dazed.

Patrick reminds us again that Grimes wants to showcase his skill to Nigel McGuinness to get a Lucky 7 Qualifying match. Barrett says that if Grimes wants to be taken seriously, then he needs to get serious, reminding us of his ‘uncouth’ behaviour, interrupting Bobby Fish during his debut reaction segment earlier in the week.

Grimes climbs the turnbuckle, ready to deliver his signature "Cave-In" move. As he leaps off the ropes, Rust counters with a perfectly timed dropkick, sending Grimes crashing to the mat.

Barrett applauds the beautifully executed counter by Rust, who fights his way back into the match. Bivens continues to heckle Grimes as the so-called “King of Submissions” applies a hold, targeting Grimes’ leg, displaying his technical prowess once again. Grimes writhes in pain, desperately trying to reach the ropes.

Knowing he’s in a precarious position, Grimes struggles towards the ropes as Bivens tries to pull them back out of reach, though this catches the attention of the referee who warns the outspoken entrepreneur that he’ll be sent to the back if his behaviour continues.

The exchange distracts Rust, who eases his grip enough to allow Grimes to summon a surge of energy (helped by the crowd rallying behind him) as he breaks free from the hold.

With the crowd rallying behind him, Grimes summons a surge of energy and manages to break free from Rust's submission hold. Bivens turns his attention from the referee to Rust, telling him to stay on top of his opponent but Tyler doesn’t seem to take too kindly to this as he tells him to “shut up!”.

Turning his attention back to the match, Grimes capitalizes on the distraction once again….

GRIMES WITH A CAVIN-IN OUT OF NOWHERE!

Grimes hooks Rust's leg for the pin, and the referee starts the count.

ONE

TWO

THREE!

The bell rings, signalling the end of the match. The crowd cheers as Cameron Grimes excitedly gets back to his feet and begins to celebrate, almost in a state of disbelief.

DENNIS ARNELL

“ Here is your winner, by pinfall, Cameron Grimes!”

Grimes celebrates his hard-fought victory, celebrating with the fans. Rust, though disappointed, extends a hand to Grimes as a show of sportsmanship. Grimes hesitates for a moment before shaking Rust's hand, acknowledging his opponent's skill and determination. Bivens questions Rust’s behaviour upon his exit from the ring. However, Rust simply shoots him an icy stare and walks away, leaving him at ringside. A confused Malcolm Bivens chases after his client, trying to get answers as to where they stand but as they leave the stage, Grimes turns around to see none other than…

“The Infamous” Bobby Fish!

There’s a mixed reaction from the crowd, those who have taken to his new demeanour and those who have found themselves loving to hate it. Grimes turns, noticing Fish shaking his head from the top of the stage as he blows on his bubble pipe. Returning to Wade Barrett’s previous criticism of Grimes not being serious enough, Kevin Patrick points out that Fish uses a bubble pipe, but his broadcast colleague retorts that, unlike Cameron Grimes, Bobby Fish is a man of grace, elegance and sophistication.

Grimes shrugs this off as he asserts his dominance by approaching the turnbuckle and standing on the top rope before yelling TO THE MOON!”, which is echoed by his fans. Having seen enough Fish dismisses the jovial celebrations and returns to the back.

Divider.png

Backstage Kayden Carter and Kacy Catanzaro are cheerfully reacting to the NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship Contender Gauntlet Match next week. Kayden says that they are hyped for the opportunity and are thankful that Nigel McGuinness has seen through all of Candice LeRae’s lies and excuses. Kacy says that while other girls have been winning matches, so have they and they’ve been doing it for a lot longer. McKenzie Mitchell goes to ask another question when the trio are interrupted by Elektra Lopez alongside Valentina Feroz and Yulisa Leon.

Elektra says that the only reason they’ve been doing it for longer is because they’re too delusional to give up already, while Valentina and Yulisa snidely laugh along. Kacy asks if they’ve even had a match yet when Kayden points out that Elektra had lost in quick fashion to Raquel González two weeks ago. Elektra tells the KCs that La Vision may not have competed yet, but it also means they’re the wildcard in the match, given that no one knows what tricks they have up their sleeve. Before tensions can escalate, Mackenzie receives word in her ear that both teams have been asked to go to Nigel McGuinness’ office to draw their entry order.

Divider.png

高貴的人

[THE NOBLE MAN]

“The Noble Man was a patient man. Stop.”

We see clips of Boa and Xia Li’s gruelling training at the hands of Mei Ying.

“With him at her side, the Special Girl would make Mother proud. Stop.”

The scene cuts to various occasions where Boa has been seen at Li’s side.

“But then came then Bad Seed and the more she grew, the worse the Obstacle became. Stop.”

We are reminded of Dakota Kai’s outburst that caused the misting (at Ying’s hands) that had left her blinded and the anger of the NXT Women’s Champion, Raquel González following Tian Sha’s mockery of Kai’s condition.

“The Obstacle grew more vicious and demanding. Stop.”

We then see “Big Mami” calling out Tian Sha as Xia Li sets González up to be attacked by Boa, only for her to no-sell the attack and eventually be backed up by Mercedes Martinez to even the odds.

“The Mother wasn’t happy. Stop.”

Tian Sha are shown retreating before we’re once again shown Boa and Xia Li during their intense training in an undisclosed location.

“The Noble Man was no longer patient…”

We are then showing, looking distressed, at the brink of snapping as the lights begin to flicker.

“stop

Stop

STop

STOp

STOP.”

DARKNESS.

And then…

As the light begins to flicker back on, we see Boa, donning black and white war paint, having regained focus and ready to do battle.

天煞

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Divider.png

Returning from the commercial, Timothy Thatcher is standing by to discuss his Lucky 7 match on next week’s NXT with McKenzie Mitchell. Thatcher says he is elated to receive the opportunity and that it’s high time that he was paid his dues on the brand. He puts Pete Dunne over as an accomplished young talent, having held the NXT United Kingdom Championship. Thatcher admits

that he has the upper hand in their previous matches but reminds the NXT Universe that history is all in the past and next week he will rewrite history by defeating “The Bruiserweight” and claiming his spot in Nevada. Before he can continue, static can be heard and Timothy is cut off mid-sentence as the screen smashes to black.

Slowly, we begin to hear the familiar “Lullaby of Woe” as we see highlights (set in a washed-out filter) of Killian Dain’s dominant victory over Guru Raaj last week. An Irish woman narrates as she says that last week was just a glimpse into the havoc that has been unleashed now that “The Beast” has been awoken.

Divider.png

We return to the Capitol Performance Center as NXT Evolve continues with the fans eagerly awaiting the next match. The spotlight shines on the entrance ramp as Kona Reeves, exuding confidence and charisma, makes his way to the ring, in what is his first match following a lengthy hiatus. “The Finest” looks dressed for the part as he makes his way to the ring in some expensive-looking ring gear as Barrett thanks Reeves for coming back to NXT to add some affluence to the brand.

DENNIS ARNELL

“The following contest is scheduled for one fall with a twenty-minute time limit! Introducing first, from Honolulu, Hawaii, weighing in at 235 pounds, Kona Reeves, "The Finest"!”

The crowd emits a negative reaction, not showing any support for him in his return match. Drowning out the noise, Reeves poses and shows off, the spotlight shifts to the entrance again.

DENNIS ARNELL

“ And his opponent, from Detroit, Michigan, weighing in at 185 pounds, Leon Ruff!”

We are taken back to the very first episode of NXT Evolve, in which Leon Ruff took on Carmelo Hayes in the very first match of the premier. Following the match, Kona Reeves made his return to ‘scout’ both men before it emerged last week that he had his sights set on Hayes in particular. Despite this, ‘Melo didn’t seem to return the interest in an alliance, meaning Reeves had seemingly gotten on the wrong side of both men.

Returning to ringside, applause fills the arena as Leon Ruff emerges, a determined look on his face. Despite his smaller stature, Ruff exudes confidence and enthusiasm. He high-fives fans at ringside before entering the ring, ready to prove himself.

Kona-Reeves-vs-Leon-Ruff.png

The referee calls for the bell, with a confident Kona Reeves immediately taking control, using his size advantage to overpower Leon Ruff. He delivers powerful strikes and taunts Ruff, telling him that he is no comparison to him. Reeves continues to focus his attack, denying his opponent any chance of respite.

Ruff struggles to find his footing, but he manages to evade Reeves' attacks with his agility. He delivers a quick dropkick that sends Reeves staggering back. Gaining momentum, Ruff begins to use his speed to his advantage to throw “The Finest” off balance and mount a comeback.

He uses a combination of high-flying manoeuvres and quick strikes, stunning Reeves and gaining the support of the crowd for his display of resilience against his much more powerful opponent.

Seizing his opportunity, Ruff sets up Reeves for his surprise finisher – the "Roll-Up of Redemption." Just as Ruff attempts the roll-up, Reeves manages to counter and regain control.

The match continues with back-and-forth action. Reeves showcases his power moves, while Ruff continues to rely on his speed and agility.

As the match enters its final moments, Ruff finds himself in a tight spot, trapped in Reeves' submission hold. The audience's anticipation builds as Ruff struggles to break free. It looks like Leon Ruff might be running out of options when…

With an impressive burst of energy, Ruff manages to escape the submission hold and surprises Reeves with another sudden roll-up.

Could this be it?!

ONE

TWO

THREE!

The bell rings, and the crowd erupts in cheers as Leon Ruff secures the shock victory with a surprise roll-up.

DENNIS ARNELL

“Here is your winner, by pinfall, Leon Ruff!”

Leon Ruff's theme music blares through the speakers as he raises his arms in triumph. The underdog has overcome the odds and emerged victorious, much to the delight of the crowd.

Ruff celebrates his hard-fought victory, soaking in the cheers and applause from the crowd. Kona Reeves, on the other hand, looks stunned as he argues with the referee, trying to tell him that his shoulders weren’t down on the mat and demanding a replay. Ruff takes exception to the accusation and feeling confident, fresh off his victory steps up to Reeves.

It looks like things are about to get heated when Reeves delivers a snide slap to Ruff’s face! The referee immediately steps between them as “The Finest” quickly rolls out of the ring before Ruff can catch up to him. Kevin Patrick assesses that the bad blood between these two men seems to be far from over.

Divider.png

We cut backstage where Drake Maverick is delivering a pep talk to Ikemen Jiro and August Grey ahead of their main event tag team bout next. An energetic Maverick is reminding them that Ariya Daivari and Tony Nese may have a size advantage over them but 20% of that is sheer delusion, he pauses to look for a laugh but Grey doesn’t seem amused and Jiro simply nods. Dejected, Maverick shakes his head and throws his arms around the duo, he apologizes again and says he knows that they want a shot at MSK’s tag team titles and he promises he will get them there.

Grey reminds him that he’s not their manager and while he appreciates the support, the main tactic is the same it was as last week – not to get involved. Grey thanks Maverick for the opportunity but says that he and Jiro don’t need the distraction. His ego dented, Maverick looks glumly at the floor and says that he’ll stay in the back if they would prefer. “Retro-AG” seems keen on the idea and goes to leave, but pauses, noticing Jiro not following him. The two manage to speak to each other without saying a word as Grey draws a deep breath and says Maverick can come along with them, but warns him to keep his lip zipped.

Stay tuned, that match is next!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Divider.png

The scene opens to show the spit and sawdust fight club we were introduced to on last week’s episode. The mystery figure stands in the middle of the steel structure we had seen previously, but now we’re given more time to take everything in. The cage-like structure isn’t as big as a Hell in a Cell but more akin to the structure of the Lion’s Den (no ropes, no ceiling on the structure). A birdseye view shows the Diamon Mine logo we had been seeing for months as we return to the figure, following on from the last vignette as he removes his hood to show

ARTURO RUAS!

“The Diamon Mine opens. NEXT WEEK!”

Divider.png

We get a promo from NXT Champion, Bronson Reed, which receives a pop from the crowd. “Aus-Zilla” says that for weeks he’s had to listen to LA Knight talk about how he’s “The New People’s Champion” and how he’s done so much to elevate NXT, but he believes that if anyone needed proof of the kind of man Knight really was, should tune into this past week’s NXT when he was stomping mudholes on his opponent (Cal Bloom).

Reed says that Knight went into the match expecting his opponent to roll over, which is a mentality he best forget by the time they head to Las Vegas because he won’t be rolling over for anyone. The champion says that if it wasn’t for the no-contact rule enforced by Nigel McGuinness, the NXT Universe would have already been spared but he is waiting and counting down the days when he walks out with yet another championship (as he holds both the NXT and North American titles). However, Reed says that the grandest prize of them all will be silencing LA Knight as the segment comes to a close.

Divider.png

It's main event time! But before we go any further Kevin Patrick runs down the card for next week’s stacked edition of NXT – including:

• Tian Sha’s Boa vs. NXT Women’s Champion, Raquel González
  • Kushida & Ari Sterling vs. Imperium in a match that will determine Kushida’s next challenger
  • A women’s tag team gauntlet to determine who will face The Way at NXT Takeover: High Stakes for the championships.
  • “The King of NXT” Pete Dunne faces Timothy Thatcher in the next Lucky 7 qualifying match.
  • LA Knight will once again ‘defend’ the Million Dollar Championship

Divider.png

The crowd await the NXT Evolve main event match of the evening as Dennis Arnell is stood in the middle of the ring.

DENNIS ARNELL

“The following contest is your main event of the evening and is a tag team match scheduled for one fall with TV time remaining. Introducing first, at a combined weight of 386 pounds, the team of Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari!”

"The Premier Athlete" Tony Nese and "The Persian Lion" Ariya Daivari make their way to the ring, the self-proclaimed backbones of NXT exuding confidence as they are played in by new theme music. Commentary mention how the duo are hoping to send a message not only to the NXT Tag Team Champions, MSK, but fellow contenders Hit Row and The Way’s Johnny Gargano and Dexter Lumis.

DENNIS ARNELL

“And their opponents, at a combined weight of 367 pounds, accompanied to the ring by Drake Maverick, the team of Ikemen Jiro and August Grey!”

The crowd erupts in cheers as Ikemen Jiro and August Grey make their entrance. The fledging tag team have a quiet confidence of their own, though as Drake Maverick appears from behind, it’s clear that there’s dysfunction within the group.

Wade Barrett laments the pair for allowing Maverick to weasel his way into their tag team dynamic and destroy it from the inside. Kevin Patrick, playing devil’s advocate, reminds his colleague that Maverick got this match as a way to make up for his previous antics, which had inadvertently cost the duo.

Nese-Daivari-vs-Grey-Jiro.png

The bell rings, and the match is underway. Tony Nese and Ikemen Jiro start things off, engaging in a display of technical skills and athleticism. Jiro's unorthodox style keeps Nese on his toes, but Nese's power and agility allow him to gain an advantage.

August Grey is tagged in and showcases his impressive speed and agility against Nese. The action is fast-paced, with both teams demonstrating their tag team chemistry. Commentary emphasises how both duos are looking to climb the ranks of the competitive tag team division and a win here could make sure that their names are on the upper echelons of the rankings.

As the match progresses, the momentum shifts back and forth, with both teams giving it their all. It all begins to break down after Jiro gains momentum and puts his hand into his pocket, ready to hit a roaring elbow onto Tony Nese. Sensing danger in his camp, Daivari begins to distract the official, which allows Nese to duck under and rake Jiro’s eyes, much to the chagrin of Grey and Maverick.

DEADLIFT BUCKLEBOMB BY NESE!

Showcasing his hybrid power/high-flying skills, Nese runs to the turnbuckle and executes a beautiful triangle moonsault. Nese hooks the legs!

ONE

TWO

KICKOUT!

Maverick breathes a sigh of relief, before trying to tell the referee to keep an eye on Daivari. Grey turns and warns the former 205 Live GM not to cause a distraction and mess this opportunity up for them. Maverick willingly obliges as he pretends to zip his lip and throw away the key.

Jiro holds his hand out, desperately trying to make it to his corner but Nese grabs him by the heel.

ENZUIGIRI!

But Nese ducks it and continues to hook the heel or Japan’s “Most Handsome”, dragging him back to the centre of the ring. Grey stomps his foot on the apron, and Maverick begins a clap as the NXT Universe joins. Jiro manages to hit some weak shots, but Nese follows up with a running hotshot! Taking some time to talk trash to Maverick, trying to rile tensions amongst the babyfaces.

Rolling back into the ring, Nese grabs Jiro by the legs, looking to slingshot him across the bottom ropes, but this time August Grey causes the distraction as he walks along the apron. “The Premier Athlete” relinquishes his grip as he plays into Grey’s hands, when suddenly, a roll-up by Jiro!

ONE

TWO

NO!

Wasting no time, Jiro goes for the hot tag…August Grey is poised and ready when…

ARIYA DAIVARI PULLS GREY OFF THE APRON!

Grey’s face collides with the apron as Daivari mocks Maverick, with a heated exchange breaking out between the two. Back in the ring, Jiro swerves an attack by Nese, causing the latter to crash into the corner. Time is of the essence, Jiro has to strike while the iron is hot…

RUNNING ENZUIGIRI!

HE NAILS IT!

Jiro pulls Nese away from the ropes but the official, Tom Castor, is distracted by Daivari and Maverick on the outside. Jiro looks up and tells Maverick “NO!”, not wanting to risk disqualification. Maverick then realises the position Nese is in as Jiro returns to the cover, this time the referee turns.

ONE

TWO

But Daivari rolls into the ring to break things up, setting Maverick off once again as he is up on the apron this time. Castor threatens to have Maverick removed if his behaviour continues as Jiro makes swift work of “The Persian Lion”, throwing him to the outside. However, things take a sour turn as Maverick ends his dispute just as Nese manages to hit a low blow on Jiro from behind. Seizing the opportunity, Nese delivers a crushing superkick to Jiro, followed by a PUMPHANDLE DRIVER!

ONE

TWO

AUGUST GREY ROLLS BACK INTO THE RING!

THREE!

IT’S TOO LATE!

The bell rings, and Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari are declared the winners. The crowd reacts with shock and disappointment, realizing that Maverick's mishap cost Jiro and Grey the match.

DENNIS ARNELL

“Here are your winners, via pinfall, the team of Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari!”

The referee raises Nese and Daivari’s hands in victory, with Kevin Patrick surprised at the result, stating that Jiro and Grey were robbed. Barrett says Patrick is sounding like all the other naysayers but Nese and Daivari truly are the backbone of the tag team division in NXT.

Post-match, August Grey confronts Drake Maverick in frustration, pointing out his accidental interference. Grey's frustration quickly turns to anger, and he shoves Maverick to the ground. Following weeks of frustration, it seems that Grey can’t hold back his disdain any longer. Maverick tries to his best to apologise but the more he talks, the more it seems to irritate “Retro-AG”.

As Grey's frustration escalates, he delivers a sudden and brutal attack on Maverick, unleashing his pent-up anger.

DOCTOR BOMB ON DRAKE MAVERICK!

The crowd boos Grey's actions as he continues to assault Maverick.

Following a slight hesitation, Ikemen Jiro gets between the two men and pushes Grey away, checking on Maverick. Jiro tries to calm Grey down, pleading with him to stop the assault as it seems the red mist clears for August Grey.

Grey eventually backs off, his expression conflicted as he exits the ring and heads to the back while boos break out from the crowd. Jiro helps Maverick to his feet, showing sportsmanship and compassion, albeit at the expense of his tag team partner.

The segment ends with Maverick being helped out of the ring by Jiro, while Grey turns back looking down to the ring, torn between his anger and Jiro's intervention, as the crowd can’t quite believe what’s happened.

Wade Barrett says August Grey had the patience of a saint to put up with Drake Maverick for that long. Kevin Patrick responds that he’s got some explaining to do before plugging NXT across social media. We are told to tune in next week, where hopefully we’ll get some answers as the show comes to a close.

Divider.png

Last edited:

DTP

Reaction score
NXT - July 15, 2021:

Catching up with the first couple of weeks of the new era in NXT history, and I do like that Nigel McGuinness is the authority figure of the brand, undoubtedly a solid successor folllowing William Regal's stellar run.

I do think the usage of Samoa Joe fits into this period in one sense, though in another seeing him, Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong in the opening promo spotlight is pretty humorous. Yet it is a time of transition still, after all. New stars are still to be made.

I'd be interested to see how you handle LA Knight given the recent real life buzz around him. I don't see him and Bronson Reed as being worthy of an NXT TakeOver main event. Points for using a unique tagline in High Stakes, by the way. The possibilities are truly endless.

Oh god, not Cal Bloom. Well written segment, nonetheless. I don't see much upside in Bloom, tbh.

Glad to see Ever-Rise in the running, even if they are being used as fodder for the likes of MSK. The dynamic between Matt Martel and Malcolm Bivens is curious.

I really liked the eight-woman tag team match, and it really served its purpose as an overview of the state of the women's division. Franky Monet being used is good, it was criminal how WWE treat her in the end.

I didn't really feel much from the Cameron Grimes and Bobby Fish angle. Hoping it's a transitional thing more than anything. I don't think Fish has much legs beneath him in this era.

...Just going to go ahead and skip the Mercedes Martinez and Mei Ying BS. Didn't understand it then, really don't now.

I liked how this show came together with the main event bringing us back to the opening promo. Sounded like a solid main event.

I didn't mind this show, but I will say that this era in NXT is intriguingly similar to the Black and Gold Era - just with a new coat of paint. That said, I do understand it takes time for new stars to be made and established - hopefully we get more new blood on top before long.