Non-profits could be making the homeless situation worse

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
A report by the Dublin Region Homeless Executive has stated volunteer organizations are making the homeless situation worse. They "do not have the skills to engage with people who are homeless, and there are examples of their interventions undermining the work of mainstream providers and supporting people to remain or return to the streets," said Mary Higgins. The food stalls and tents were attracting drug dealing and prostitution. The volunteers weren't being properly vetted.

Last edited:

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
I quit reading at "No attention is paid to nutritional needs or food safety"

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Other concerns were expressed about the fact that there is no Garda vetting of volunteers, that people who are recovering addicts, with no other qualifications, are volunteers.”

Nice stigmatization of addiction by this article, awesome.

Also, it's substantially lacking facts and data to back up anything they are saying, it's basically an attack piece of volunteerism and sounds a hell of a lot like "how dare you try to help the people WE are failing"

Reactions: Moon Bird

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Homeless advocate groups should call themselves the military and get all the funding to fix everything in a year.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
i love that there is less than 10,000 homeless in the whole of Ireland - and this article suggests that one volunteers are a problem - but also that this situation (at such a small number in proportion, isn't fixable)

• Haha
Reactions: Moon Bird

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
i love that there is less than 10,000 homeless in the whole of Ireland - and this article suggests that one volunteers are a problem - but also that this situation (at such a small number in proportion, isn't fixable)

Doing math...

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Median house price in Ireland is €258,000

According to The Independent (Link) there are 6,023 homeless adults in Ireland. (There are also 2000 homeless Children but I think the remedy for the adult homeless problem should cater for them too...)

So it would cost €1,553,934,000 to give every single homeless person in Ireland a home...

According to the Irish Examiner (Link) homeless accommodation cost €212,000,000

So instead of spending 1.5 billion euros over 7.5 years, why not just house everyone who is homeless and not waste tax payers money until the end of time???

Of course, it would be less than that because there are a lot of homeless couples/families so the reality is less than 7 years of homeless accomodation costs would pay to house every single homeless person in Ireland...

(Yes I know there are many factors to homelessness including mental illness, addition, domestic abuse and so on....but the problem IS solvable. I'm not sure why so many politicians are against solving it once and for all...)

[edit] I had to double post because I fudged up my counting on the original post. Need more fingers...