No Black World Champions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
There's hasn't been one since Booker T. Ron Simmons was the first 18 years ago. JYD was the champion in UWF in the 70's. Ron Killings has a short run in TNA. The Rock is the most popular. Why is that I can't count the number of black champions? If there were more someone please tell me.

Is there still any covert racism in pro wrestling? MVP seems to be the best candidate because he's entertaining when he's talking. What seems to be the problem?

Reaction score
There is racism in professional wrestling, yes. However, I don't think it has an effect on whether or not a black superstar can be world champion, because it's more about pigeon-holing black people as people who grew up on the streets and steal in their gimmicks, foreigners as evil (yeah, not a different race, but still), Asians as being good at martial arts and all of those other stereotypes. I just don't think anyone marketable enough has come along. MVP was a chance, although he seems to have fallen from grace. R-Truth may be the next best shot, or maybe Big Zeke or Kofi if they give his character some more depth, but apart from that, the lack of black world champions comes from the lack of marketable black people they've had on the roster, imo.

CMS

Reaction score
There aren't any more back world champions because there haven't been any deserving black guys for a World Title push. Look at the WWE roster, who do you have? Mark Henry, MVP, Shelton Benjamin, Kofi Kingston and Ezekiel Jackson. Out of them, maybe MVP can get pushed, then again, there are other far better and more over...and that has nothing to do with race.

They did push the hell out of Zeke on ECW though, so that has to tell you something,

Reaction score
R-Truth is the answer people. Am I the only one that likes him and believes he can be a successful champion someday?

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Where is Airfixx? I always brought this up and he always disagreed with me. I believe since a black guy never held the WWE title, not World title, that the WWE is racist. Even if you put the World and WWE title on the same level in terms of prestige, WWE still does not make their champion black. Booker T was one, one black guy to ever make it to the top of the WWE. If people cannot see the racism possibility there, it if it true or not, you have got to be blind.

G 3

Reaction score
I don't think it is racism. I think it is a lack of black people. Remember, black is a minority in The United States.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
WWE has a ton of black performers, maybe they just "aren't good enough" as the WWE would put it lol

CMS

Reaction score
So you seriously say that the only reason that the likes of JTG, Shelton Benjamin and Mark Henry aren't winning the WWE Championship is because they are black? That's like saying the only reason Jimmy Wang Yang isn't a champion is because he's asian.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
So you seriously say that the only reason that the likes of JTG, Shelton Benjamin and Mark Henry aren't winning the WWE Championship is because they are black? That's like saying the only reason Jimmy Wang Yang isn't a champion is because he's asian.

I don't know for sure why black people have not held the WWE title, it might be because they are racist, or it might be because of something else. I am just saying that is a possible conclusion one could come to.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I think like BKB said it's because of the characters the black wrestlers are given. Usually rapper, thug or comedic type of gimmicks. With the exceptions of Booker T and MVP what black wrestlers haven't been given a rapper, thug or comedic character? But you could even argue that MVPs "rags to riches" gimmick is still semi-stereotypical but at least it goes against the grain somewhat.

The only possible candidates at the current time for a black world champion is R-Truth and maybe MVP. But I cannot see either of their runs being to long or having multiple runs with the belt being that they are both in the mid 30s. Kofi and Zeke could be potential world champions if they are given some character development. Once Kofi dropped the accent and went ass badass on Orton everybody started screaming WORLD CHAMPION. But then, after the feud with Orton..... Nothing.

Reaction score
It's still odd that in 2010 you can still count the number of black world champions on one hand. My philosophy is simple, you never know until you try. I've a lot of posts about the characters being unworthy. Well, give them the belt and see how it plays out.

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
It isn't racism. Like said before look at their roster of black wrestlers. NONE of them are of world champion caliber, at least not now. And I doubt they ever will. We have been waiting since Shelton debuted to break out of his shell and become a real super star, but he hasn't and probably never will. It isn't the WWE's fault that there aren't many black wrestlers with the "it" factor. I don't see Vince McMahon as being a racist guy, he does what he has to do to make money. If they seen potential in a black wrestler (I.E. someone like The Rock) they will push them to the moon. They don't see people in terms of race (WHICH NO ONE SHOULD!) they see them in terms of is this guy a superstar? Can he sell tickets?

Also what pisses me off about modem society is the way people judge everyone based off their skin color or race. It is bullshit. Any time a black person succeeds in something the media has to point out the fact that they are black! Who gives a shit! If our society's motto is all men are created equal then the fact that they are black should be irrelevant.

Reaction score
Oh this is pathetic. How the hell is it racism? People moan about things being racist like this but they have no idea. It's all about talent. Look at mark henry, How the hell can WWE give him the world title? Kofi Kingston is the most talented coloured guy in WWE.

Reaction score
Also what pisses me off about modem society is the way people judge everyone based off their skin color or race. It is bullshit. Any time a black person succeeds in something the media has to point out the fact that they are black! Who gives a shit! If our society's motto is all men are created equal then the fact that they are black should be irrelevant.

Thank god there's someone else who recognizes it.

Now, I think MVP and Kofi Kingston have what it takes. Kofi had a great feud with Orton that was booked to make Orton look stronger. Whose fault is that?