NFL Week One Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Yup he was like that is MINE! And a great run by Bradshaw...comeback time...god I hate Collinsworth

Halfbreed

Reaction score
This is a great game for me. Two of my perpetual "Mount Douchemore" roster members are here tonight. (For players that I absolutely loathe, I make demeaning, less-than-politically correct names for them and mercilessly mock them during the games. Romo and Manning qualify tonight.)

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Not the best thing to do in here right now.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
oh well it's only week one...Cruz can't drop 3 passes and expect to win

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'm still trying to figure out whether the Giants running game was just that bad or whether the Cowboys run D is just that good?

TactMrBlack

Reaction score
I don't think you can say the giants run game was bad all that bad. Bradshaw rushed 17 times for 78 yards and one touch down. That's what 4.6 yards a carry? That's a first down every three carries. I feel as if that's a productive run game.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The difference was Cruz's 3 dropped passes. Just can't have that shit.

Halfbreed

Reaction score
I think this was a perfect storm of circumstances in New York. There are a couple of mitigating circumstances: first, Dallas got an unexpected boost in the running game from an untested commodity, which threw a wrench into the Giants game plan last night. Once that happened, two things unexpectedly clicked that facilitated trouble—Tony Romo decided to have one of the absolute best games of his career passing on a night when the New York Giants secondary (and other positions in their defense overall) were just shredded by injuries. Kevin Ogletree was just lighting up the reserves that Coughlin kept throwing out there, but with Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and Jason Witten on the field it was difficult to shift players around with all the injuries.

Then you get into the improvements in Dallas's secondary, which made passing the ball a lot harder than in previous years against this team. There were a couple of very atrocious drops that were pretty rough, and then there was the one non-call in the end zone that forced New York to kick a field goal that may have cost them six in the first quarter. This game felt more like an aberration than a physical statement for New York. Do I think the Cowboys are better than most people pegged them for? Yes and no; we've been burned by them too many times to anoint them as a playoff team until they actually step up and make the playoffs, but going on the road to MetLife was a huge step in the right direction. But the Giants are gonna do what they normally do; find a way to fly under the radar, pick up nine to eleven wins, and then make everyone piss their pants about having to face them in the playoffs.

TactMrBlack

Reaction score
I think this was a perfect storm of circumstances in New York. There are a couple of mitigating circumstances: first, Dallas got an unexpected boost in the running game from an untested commodity, which threw a wrench into the Giants game plan last night. Once that happened, two things unexpectedly clicked that facilitated trouble—Tony Romo decided to have one of the absolute best games of his career passing on a night when the New York Giants secondary (and other positions in their defense overall) were just shredded by injuries. Kevin Ogletree was just lighting up the reserves that Coughlin kept throwing out there, but with Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and Jason Witten on the field it was difficult to shift players around with all the injuries.

Then you get into the improvements in Dallas's secondary, which made passing the ball a lot harder than in previous years against this team. There were a couple of very atrocious drops that were pretty rough, and then there was the one non-call in the end zone that forced New York to kick a field goal that may have cost them six in the first quarter. This game felt more like an aberration than a physical statement for New York. Do I think the Cowboys are better than most people pegged them for? Yes and no; we've been burned by them too many times to anoint them as a playoff team until they actually step up and make the playoffs, but going on the road to MetLife was a huge step in the right direction. But the Giants are gonna do what they normally do; find a way to fly under the radar, pick up nine to eleven wins, and then make everyone piss their pants about having to face them in the playoffs.

I'm not sure where you get your info on Damarco and Romo.

Halfbreed

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you get your info on Damarco and Romo.

This was DeMarco Murray's first in-season game since the fractured ankle/sprain that ended his year late last season. Take a young player on the road against your biggest divisional rival in his first game back from a foot injury, and his production was above and beyond the call of what one might expect. My wording was a bit misleading in the post; I wasn't saying that Murray was an unknown before last night. I was saying that you couldn't know for sure what you would be getting from Murray under the circumstances.

Romo's case is two fold; statistically, it was a great night for him. 22 for 29, going near 300 yards passing with three touchdowns on the road against the defending Super Bowl Champions, in a game where everyone expected the Cowboys to blow it as usual. Romo averaged an even ten yards per completion, which helped spread the Giants defense (already suffering from injuries) out even further, which then creates a cycle by helping Murray in the running game, thus benefiting Romo further in the passing. But look beyond the statistics for a minute—Romo has been under immense scrutiny for being unable to handle big-pressure moments. The Cowboys under Romo are known for one thing, and one thing only: underperforming. Last night, Romo made big passes when he needed to, and kept drives alive at opportune times. That final strike to Ogletree to end the game off the first down completion was huge, and Romo bailing out his team after two atrocious penalties backed them up to the edge of field goal territory in what was then a one possession game was incredible.

I detest Romo and the Cowboys almost as much as anyone, but I can appreciate a pretty incredible performance when I see it.

TactMrBlack

Reaction score
This was DeMarco Murray's first in-season game since the fractured ankle/sprain that ended his year late last season. Take a young player on the road against your biggest divisional rival in his first game back from a foot injury, and his production was above and beyond the call of what one might expect. My wording was a bit misleading in the post; I wasn't saying that Murray was an unknown before last night. I was saying that you couldn't know for sure what you would be getting from Murray under the circumstances.

Romo's case is two fold; statistically, it was a great night for him. 22 for 29, going near 300 yards passing with three touchdowns on the road against the defending Super Bowl Champions, in a game where everyone expected the Cowboys to blow it as usual. Romo averaged an even ten yards per completion, which helped spread the Giants defense (already suffering from injuries) out even further, which then creates a cycle by helping Murray in the running game, thus benefiting Romo further in the passing. But look beyond the statistics for a minute—Romo has been under immense scrutiny for being unable to handle big-pressure moments. The Cowboys under Romo are known for one thing, and one thing only: underperforming. Last night, Romo made big passes when he needed to, and kept drives alive at opportune times. That final strike to Ogletree to end the game off the first down completion was huge, and Romo bailing out his team after two atrocious penalties backed them up to the edge of field goal territory in what was then a one possession game was incredible.

I detest Romo and the Cowboys almost as much as anyone, but I can appreciate a pretty incredible performance when I see it.

I guess I just misunderstood/misread the first post.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I hate them with a passion but they played much better then the Giants last night and deserved that win