• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Next Big Promotion

Rell

Reaction score
With Ring Of Honor on the verge of success, which Independent promotion do you believe will step up and become the leading independent promotion, or in a way "The Next ROH"? I think it will be a while before we see any independent promotion grow as big as ROH has, but if and when it does happen I believe it will be Pro Wrestling Guerilla. The problem with PWG is its a local promotion, and when they do travel it's usually around California. If PWG can become more of a global promotion, I believe they can be very successful. I believe they have the talent to get the job done. For those who don't know, PWG and ROH share talent. I think this could help PWG as it helped ROH in the past when TNA & ROH were sharing talent.

What do you think the next big independent promotion is?

Montana

I would say PWG, but ill go with an old favorite, Memphis Wrestling. They feature a lot of familar faces, and might never be a top organization, they may very lead the indys, from a mainstream point of view. Just this year, they've had HOgan vs Big Show, Sid is facing Jerry Lawler. They could be a surprise, and gain more loyal fans.

Soulpower

PWG seems to be the most obvious answer. They use some ROH talent, but they have plenty of homegrown talent aswell. The only other company that I think has a chance at getting big is CHIKARA. Their fast paced, high-flying style appeals to a lot of the younger people and is simply put, a fun product. So those would be my top two choices.

Cynic Clinic

Reaction score
I don't think PWG has any room to grow. I've seen 6-12 full shows and they don't make much progress. They're product turns me off seeing as how the only real storylines or characters they have are when people chase the belts off Bosh, Lost, and Ryan. Neither Generico or Tornado have done anything with their reigns and I can't say I expect them to be booked to.

Also, don't phrase it as 'The Next ROH.' Every promotion has a different vibe, a different business strategy, and sometimes entertains differently. If you want to ask me if any will get big or succeed like ROH, then I'm going to tell you that there aren't any that are going to get that kind of success yet in my mind.

PWU looks like it could step up to be part of the top indy groups. They have a kickass roster and took many of the good guys from CZW.

Top indies right now are:
ROH
PWG
Chikara
IWA:MS
CZW
not necessarily in that order.
Below them are JAPW, IWS, D'Amore's promotion, that one that does the Super 8. CZW is slipping into this range.

Rell

Reaction score
^ When I say "The Next ROH" I'm not saying PWG will be Ring Of Honor. ROH and PWG are quite different, PWG is more built around humor, ntm its owned by a few wrestlers including Super Dragon and Disco Machine who happen to be on the active roster. When I say "The Next ROH" I'm simply saying the next independent promotion to reach the success level that Ring Of Honor has.

flo23

Reaction score
PWG is owned by 6 wrestlers- Super Dragon, Chris Bosh, Joey Ryan, Excalibur, Disco Machine and Top Gun Talwar. IMO Ryan is a horrible wrestler, and dosent deserve to have been champ he got booed in CZW in his match with El Genrico who IMO carried the entire match. i think the next top indy promotion will be either Chikara or PWG. Chikara has characters who attracts kids and wrestling that attract teenagers. PWG is considered the ROH of the west because of their wrestling matches but they are like TNA cause they dont know what to do with their titles, which is the only flaw they have.

Reinvented

Reaction score
I have to go with my favorite company right now AAA or Triple A from Mexico.

It has spawned in its 15 years guys like Rey Mysterio, Konnan, Psicosis, La Parka, Juvi, Chavo and Eddie. But I doubt its sucess will ever get bigger. But they did have a show just recently with Sabu and many other familier faces.

flo23

Reaction score
AAA isnt indy its actually a big promotion in mexico, AAA and CMLL are the top promotions in mexico equivalent to WWE in USA so i wouldnt consider them indy mainly due to them not even being in the USA.

Reaction score
I would say PWG. CZW had its chance and nothing major came out of it. As a couple longshots I'm going to say

IWA Mid South and
Chikara

I recently saw some Chikara podcasts and am for sure going to order some DVD's online. They just have this quirky, out there style that could really entertain a lot of people if enough word gets out.

Rell

Reaction score
Speaking of CZW has anyone been paying attention to them lately? They just had the Best Of The Best tournament which was very good, and they even had Homicide (TNA) face Ruckus at an recent show, even though it turned into a tag team match. CZW has actually been impressing me lately. They've seemed to change or tone down their "Ultraviolent" ways as of late.

Reaction score
Speaking of CZW has anyone been paying attention to them lately? They just had the Best Of The Best tournament which was very good, and they even had Homicide (TNA) face Ruckus at an recent show, even though it turned into a tag team match. CZW has actually been impressing me lately. They've seemed to change or tone down their "Ultraviolent" ways as of late.

Best of The Best tourny is always a highlight of the year for me, although I haven't seen this years yet. And yes, if they turned down the ultraviolent matches just a few notches I would like it a lot more, though I still think its ok the way it is. I mean, to put it in perspective, when New Jack jumped of balconies in the original ECW and things like that, is that really any different than anything CZW is doing now aside from the lighttube matches (I liked the original ECW for the record)?

Just a thought...