New Taser Can Strike Suspect 100 Feet Away

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Maloney

Reaction score
Just like some of you said, the Toronto Blue Jays are my favorite.

Miller

Reaction score
Lived in the Bronx till recently so i'm a huge Yankees fan.

Conc3pt

Reaction score
New York Mets. I've been a fan of them since 2000 when I started watching baseball.

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
how about them BREWERS!!!, best record in the majors, great pitching, young guys are getting it done, brewers are the shocker for the world series this year

^^^my favorite and should be ur favorite team

The Anigma

Reaction score
I'm from Queens so I'll have to go with the Mets...

Kairi

Reaction score
New Taser can strike suspect 100 feet away

Weapon shoots cartridge that delivers shock

Sunday, March 27, 2011 03:16 AM
By Stephanie Czekalinski
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

xrep-art-g1ec47pg-1policeshoot1-large-jpg-large.jpg

The Taser X12, held by Columbus Police Sgt. Brian Bruce, operates like a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. But regular shotgun shells won't fit in it, to prevent accidents.

Columbus police have deployed a new shotgun-style stun gun that can hit targets up to 100 feet away.

The Taser X12 shoots wireless cartridges that travel about 1,000 feet per second, officials said. The projectiles are similar in size and shape to traditional shotgun shells

"It's incredibly accurate," said Sgt. Matt Weekley.

The projectile is barbed and flies prongs first. Once it strikes its target, the prongs attach to the body through clothing.

The force of the strike causes the back end of the projectile to come apart and attach to another part of the body, completing a circuit. The two pieces are held together by a 14-inch wire. Gravity pulls the second piece, also barbed, back into contact with the body.

Once the prongs are in contact with the skin in two places, the person receives a 20-second high-voltage, low-current electrical shock that incapacitates him or her, Weekley said.

The lead portion of the projectile is also barbed on the back side so that if a suspect clamps his hand over it in surprise, he will receive a shock.

The X12 holds four cartridges and operates like a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, according to Taser International, the company that produces the weapon.

Regular shotgun shells cannot be loaded into the stun gun to prevent accidents, Weekley said.

Police will use the new stun guns in life-threatening situations where the use of force is justified, such as barricade situations, riots, when Molotov cocktails are thrown or when someone is threatening suicide with a knife, Weekley said.

Once a suspect is immobilized, officers can handcuff him or her without having to physically subdue him, he said.

Weekley thinks that the use of Tasers has decreased injuries to officers and suspects since the department first used hand-held models in 2003.

"I think it's lowered our use of force," Weekley said. Officers can use the hand-held Taser to subdue a suspect who is a danger to himself or others or to warn an agitated crowd to disperse, he said.

Officers cannot use their new X12s closer than 15 feet to a suspect, because of the potential for the projectile to penetrate the skin, Weekley said.

SWAT teams are carrying one or two X12s. Four others will be used by officers who have completed special training, officials said.

Police didn't say how much they spent on the new Tasers. The devices were purchased from a fund related to police seizures of cars, drugs and other contraband, officials said.

Not everyone is comfortable with law enforcement's Taser use.

In a 2008 report, Amnesty International voiced concerns about the safety of Taser use and the potential for abuse of devices that "inflict severe pain at the push of a button without leaving substantial marks."
Weekley said concerns are overblown.

It hurts to be hit with a Taser, but he doesn't think it does significant or long-term damage.

"I'm living proof," he said. "I've been hit 15 times with a Taser. I'm sane. I still have a sense of humor."

Reid

Reaction score
Would have to be Usain Bolt to out run t hat thing.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler