AMA New Grading System: Best Promo Wins

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I was just thinking about two issues we’ve had recently when it comes to grading and promos one of which was how many promos does a tag team get to post especially if a single person represents the tag team and we decided that they get to post one promo for each character but there were some issues with that too because some people didn’t think one person should get to post more than one and other people who man a tag team by themselves didn’t want to have to post more than one promo in order to run a team.

The other issue was that a lot of people just don’t have time to post more than one promo and should they automatically lose every match because they only post one and the other person posted two or three?

I’ve always said having a longer promo or having more promos will not automatically make you win but I think we should strengthen that policy from an unofficial stance to more of an official stance.

My thought is when deciding who won a match you simply look at all the promos posted for the match and decide on which individual promo is the beat.

That promo therefore wins that match. With tag team matches people handling a tag team by themselves will only have to post a single promo and can still beat a tag team handled by two people who post two promos.

If the single person has the best promo of the three his tag team wins. His promo doesn’t have to be better than both of theirs combined. Just the best promo.

Same with standard matches. We don’t have to cap the matches at 1 promo. A person can post two promos and the other one, but if that one promo is better than either of the other persons promos, his still wins.

He doesn’t need to beat the two promos combined, just have the best individual promo posted for the match.

Posting two promos still gives you an advantage because it doubles your chances at having the best individual promo, but it doesn’t give you the auto win.

Thoughts on this?

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Yeah, I like looking at the promos individually & grading it overall that way. When I'm looking at promos, I always look for quality over quantity/how long it is. If they can make it long and keep me entertained, well than that's just excellent. I'm fine with people not being limited to one promo if they wanted to do more for their singles matches as you set out, and I feel how you proposed to grade them is pretty fair.

I just know for me, I tend to only do one when I'm booked in a match because I'm still learning the ropes & I put a lot of effort in to that one promo I post.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I've no problem with switching over to best promo as that's generally how I've been grading anyways . I've never been one to think one should win for posting more anyways. I generally judge by overall content so if there is more to read that is more content to judge and that cuts both ways anyways. Like you said, posting more than one is is still good because it up your chances of one of your promos being someone's favorite or the content of each promo is slightly better than the one but ya 2 promo vs 1 should never really have been auto win and I'm happy to make that official going fwd

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Nostradamus

White Rabbit
Reaction score
Website
www.ratswithwings.com
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
edge
This is great. Because if one person posts two long dogshit or two long mid-level promos, but the other person posts one phenomenal condensed promo, the two promos shouldn’t get the win. Quality/effort over quantity every time.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
So how do we determine "The best promo," and what about the current criteria?

The current criteria, according to the rules is:

A. Spelling/Punctuation/Grammar (10pts)
- Self explanatory. We aren't spelling purists, but when these things are absent, you will be losing points.

B. Continuity (10pts)
- Does the RP in question make sense when previous RPs are taken into account?
- Does it keep with the story that has been going on?

C. Match Relevance (10pts)
- Does the RP in question spend time focusing on the match at hand?
- How much time does it spend?
- Is it enough?

D. Details (10pts)
- Were the details in the RP in question correct?
- How well did it set the scene? The clearer the picture, the better you'll score.

E. Dialogue (10pts)
- How good was the dialogue in the RP in question?
- Did it help or hurt the scene?
- Was it used to promote the match?

F. Overall Quality (10pts)
- The general impression the judges got from the RP. Originality is a huge component.
- Out of the box thinking will get you a higher mark.

G. Conviction (10pts)
- How much time and effort went into the RP in question?
- Was it posted at the last minute?
- How many RPs were submitted?

And none of these really lend towards "length," if you will. The only thing that maybe adds to it is detail, but even then, it is important to have at least some in a promo, even if it as simple as one paragraph. It can just be seen as a "bonus" if someone ends up going above and beyond.

Like I think in terms of tag team promos, either the best promo wins for their team, or we take an average. So if someone has a bunch of promos, but they all are rushed, then their average will probably be worst.

I'm interested though, and I think in the debate of promo length it always should come down to whether or not someone hit their points, or the promo feels "complete." That rings true if it is a 500-800 word promo, a 1k to 2k one, or so long it is multiple promos in one.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I still think it's not too difficult to balance if u like the sum of two promos over 1 though, like I personally like to write scenes that follow each other but not in one giant post, so I imo its really simple. You just count everyone's posted promo as 1 grade anyways. I'm probably not gonna grade 2 promos separate if it's from the same character but if it drafs it'll lose points

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Basically my opinion is 2 promos don't auto win but I do think grade wise if two promos posted flow together better than one singular good promo then ya in that case I do think effort should be factored in to a degree

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I guess the question is has some matches actually been affected by this or is this a precaution as well? Because I haven't really seen anyone auto win from content spamming to this point ?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
With the new system you would just weigh each promo against the other guys promo and if one of those two promos individually beat his but the two promos together will never factor in this way at all.

And now the current system never officially stated to prom was beat one but we never pacifically told grade is not a factor to promos and I have a feeling probably quite a few times so I’m one pacifically because they had two promos and then together we’re better than the other guys one but we’re going to lemonade that and just let best promo win individually.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
^ just curious btw !

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I guess the question is has some matches actually been affected by this or is this a precaution as well? Because I haven't really seen anyone auto win from content spamming to this point ?

This is mostly from the whole tag team Promo Debacle from a couple of months ago and then a couple people were worried about the fact that they could probably post more than one promo so I just want to use their worries that it doesn’t matter.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
With the new system you would just weigh each promo against the other guys promo and if one of those two promos individually beat his but the two promos together will never factor in this way at all.

And now the current system never officially stated to prom was beat one but we never pacifically told grade is not a factor to promos and I have a feeling probably quite a few times so I’m one pacifically because they had two promos and then together we’re better than the other guys one but we’re going to lemonade that and just let best promo win individually.
So why not just make 2 rules :

1 - 1 promo per match, period
2 length doesn't give you bonus points after x words

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
That way no one gets an "advantage " for writing novels or multis n everyone is equal (imo)

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I do like the idea of 2 promo at times but I really don't want ppl to be dissuaded by that so if ppl just want to commit to.1 per that's cool w me . Mb can do max 2 on championship bout or smth

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
So why not just make 2 rules :

1 - 1 promo per match, period
2 length doesn't give you bonus points after x words

We could do that, yes.

But I figured this way would still let you do two if you wanted to. It still doubles your chance at having the beat promo overall. Just not combined.