Nerd Buys Worlds Largest Video Game Collection For $750,000

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
0c7399bd7a8ca01dab6b2af8ba89bfc9.jpg

"The world's largest video game collection has found a new home.

Michael Thomasson’s epic collection, which includes over 11,000 unique games, was sold for a whopping $750,250 at auction this week. While the name of the winning bidder (who goes by the online handle "peeps_10091970") is unknown, he or she is now the proud owner of a Guinness certificate proving the collection is the world's largest, a lifetime subscription to Retro magazine, and enough video games to last several lifetimes.

The auction pulled in 56 bids, but the majority of those were between 'peeps_10091970' and another bidder who uses the online alias ‘catch123’. The two began their battle at the $150,000 mark.

The bidding escalated so quickly that even cash-rich Oculus founder Palmer Luckey (who put in bids for $50,000 and slightly more than $90,000) quickly backed out.

Of course, any auction that hits these sorts of numbers raises legitimacy questions. 'Peeps' has no feedback attached to his/her online identity -- a classic red flag -- but until there's word otherwise, the collection has been sold. At a rate of about $68 per game, that's a sizable return on Thomasson's investment. It's also in line with his valuation of between $700,000-$800,000.

Thomasson’s collection began back in 1998, when he ran a game resale website and managed a retail game store. It's a treasure, for sure, boasting over 20 complete U.S. sets (that's the system plus every official game). Several thousands of games are still in their original factory shrink wrap.

Ironically, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Thomasson may hold the record again some day. This was actually his third collection of games. The first he sold in 1989 to buy a Sega Genesis, then he sold a larger one in 1998 to pay for his wedding.

It can't be an easy living, but it's certainly proving to be a lucrative one."

Source: m.yahoo.com/?_intl=US&_lang=en-US

• Haha
Reactions: Roadster

Ovaldinho

Reaction score
Lucky bastard. Would be nice to get my hands on that swag.

And heck, better the lad spend his money on games than cigarettes or tons of alcohol.

Solid Snake

Holy crap. I would not know what to do with that many games. I'd rather have one or two systems and a hand full of games that I know I enjoy then a billion games I will pick up and play once.