Need an opinion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
Ok, so here's the website that I've had almost 10 years now that I've used to showcase my Photoshop creations, but mostly just photography for the last 5 years.

http://stillskystudio.com

I want to redesign the site. Before I can do that, I need to figure out the purpose of it first. It's always been a portfolio of sorts, and I'm not opposed to keeping that way. I've also been tossing around the idea of turning it into a photo blog.

I've got pros and cons for both. So I ask the fine members of Pulse this: If you were to have your own website, a little slice of the great wide interwebs to serve as a showcase for your work, what kind of concept would you run with and why?

Bad News Booty

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I say a portfolio AND a photo blog...ur good enough to pull it off

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I would say keep it as a portfolio. I've always found blogs to be overlooked by many people. Portfolios draw interest. But that is my own personal opinion. I think you could pull off both with the right design.

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
Thanks for the thoughts!

I've been doing a lot of research and web surfing on this topic, trying to figure out the best way to pull off a photo blog, a portfolio/gallery, or some combination of both. And with Wordpress being the engine behind any design I go with, I'm going to design some sort of combo blog/gallery. Wordpress has so many cool features now that make portfolio/gallery sites such a breeze to manage (content-wise anyway).

The big deciding factor though was my photographic workflow: why present the fruits of my hobby in such a way that it doesn't really reflect my hobby? I'll probably only get out once or twice a month to shoot, and each time I have a shoot, I usually come away with 4 - 8 shots that come out gravy. Presenting those shots in a gallery makes more sense to me than just picking 1 or 2 of them to throw up as posts in a photo blog. Make any sense to you guys?

I'll probably use this thread to discuss my ideas and thoughts as I go through the design. I'm hoping to start fleshing out a site map and possible layouts tonight. Since I'm out of work for the moment, I want to devote some time to this while I have the time to devote lol.

Fender

My suggestion is a portfolio, seperated into categories, and descriptive subtitles explaining what each mean to you and emotions they evoke. You seem like a complex, deep thinking individual so I think you'd probably be able to draw a large audience in the photography enthusiasts world as long as there's some substance and meaning in the photos you are posting.

Just my two cents.

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
Thanks for the thoughts man. That's sort of what I was gunning for with the gallery idea. For instance, take my best captures from each shoot, put them into their own separate galleries, and have a section in the galleries for the technical stuff (what camera, lens, location, etc.) and then say a little ditty about the location, or the theme of the photos, or any emotional connection, so on and so forth.

I hadn't thought about categories though, in conjunction to the galleries. I could have it set up so that if you wanted to bypass looking through each gallery for portraits, for instance, you could sort the images by the portrait category. I like that!