NBA Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
Discuss the NBA lockout here.

Who's Side are you on, owners/players?

Is there going to be a season this year?

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I said this in another thread and I'ma say it here.

fuck the NBA

They are acting like a bunch of whiney pansies over a minor 2.5% and since they can't agree to that they aren't playing.

If there is a season... so be it. If there isn't I could careless. Like if the issues were bigger than money then yeah it'd make sense. But this is the main deciding factor. The players want at least 52.5 percent and the owners want a 50/50 split. All of these millionaires and some billionaires are sitting around a table wanting more and more money and since one side wants more than the other they continue to squabble. It is utterly disgusting and paints a truly atrocious picture on the NBA.

The NFL had a bad look too BUT they were able to fix it and we have a FULL regular season. We're already missing games in the regular season of the NBA because of this crap. Not to mention all the businesses that rely on the NBA, all the employees that work in the arenas that rely on the NBA, shoot the arena itself too. I mean you have all of these lives, all of these people, all of these regular people being screwed cause these multi-millionaires are squabbling over a measly 2.5% of revenue.

No honor, no respect. Just pure greed. Its sickening.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
As an Australian, they're trying to get NBA guys to play a few games here and such.

In all honesty, a lot of my friends who are basketballers aren't interested in this season of NBA if it goes ahead. The lockout has kind of made them stop enjoying basketball which is a shame, NBA needs to fix their problems. Fucking greedy people.

Ben

Reaction score
It's annoying and stupid that they can't get a deal done, the bushiness model they have no doesn't help anyone but the players make money minus the big market teams. Wish they would just get the 50/50 deal done so they can have a season.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Yeah true, I don't mind NBA.

We get a fair few games on TV but now there's hardly anything on thanks to NBA lock out season.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm on the side that gets this league going. I'm not in it so I know I won't fully get it but common sense just tells me that making millions and billions no matter if one side gets more than the other is a hell of a lot better than both sides getting jack shit doing a lockout. I'll never understand the logic of if I can't get my fair cut I don't want nothing at all mindset.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I really am on half of both sides.

I am for owners like Cuban, Dolan, and Buss who are willing to pay to put out a good product. I respect them for building up winning teams and building a successful franchise that they can market and make money off of. I don't think it is far to ask them to honestly give two handouts to owners like Jordan, Sterling, Sarver, and Holt (now that the Spurs window closed he jumped sides as he was against a lockout when they had the best record early last year) who don't care about winning. It is bad enough that they get money from the luxury tax, so they can make a profit while cutting costs and selling picks and talent over trying to win. I hate though that they want revenue sharing. They saw LA get a $3B TV deal and want a piece, they saw Dallas make up all their losses and turn a profit after their title run and want a piece, and they saw Melo and Amare make the Knicks merch movers and get ESPN clearances and want a piece. That doesn't sit right with me. Why not give LA their share for selling out your arena when then come to your town, when you have no history of selling out? I am especially pissed with Jordan as I remember him in the 99 lockout going to the media and bragging that he told the Wizards owner, "If you can't pay to put a winning product out and be competitive, sell your team instead of wanting a handout".

Then we get to the players. We can say the lockout doesn't hurt the big names, but the CBA also does nothing to help them. If it was a free market system the likes of Kobe, LeBron, and so on would command way more than they already do. I despise the thought of a franchise tag because you already have restricted free agency in place which allows you to either match any offer sheet (see Corey Maggette and Elton Brand years ago) or force a player to extend for 3-4 more years like Wade, Bosh, LeBron, and Melo all did. If you can't put together a winning environment after 6-7 years, chances are it ain't happening. The fact is Rashard Lewis shouldn't be making $20M a year, but Otis shouldn't have offered it to a non-max player either whose play and name value can't generate the pay back plus more. The owners had chances to not guarantee deals fully in the old CBA but a lot didn't explore in the form of incentives, like the Mavs used on Dampier. As for the BRI mess, I feel the players should get more than 50/50 and not because they got 57 last year. Operating costs come off the top of the BRI and in cases where you have a guy like Dan Gilbert paying his own company in Quickens Loans for their arena fee, you get double dipping and screw the players out of a fair cut. To me 51.5/49.5 is fair because it offsets the owners who double dip.

Half the owners don't deserve to turn a profit or get a handout for purposely losing. Half the players don't deserve their salaries. The other half of owners deserve every penny they make for the product they put out and how they invest on the team and franchise. Half the players deserve more of what they are getting as they generate enormous revenue and ratings, but can't make money off their own likeness without endorsements since the league doesn't give them a cut

I just want the season to start, for 2K12 to update itself, and to be able to order League Pass.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
End of the day everyone is getting overpaid and want to get their hands in on anything. Just a lot of greedy shit going on and why if they keep this up they're gonna mess up the whole season and no one will have to worry about splitting up any kind of money because their will be no money to split. Didn't know they were actually trying to add a franchise tag to the NBA like the NFL does.

Ben

Reaction score
Looks like there's meetings planned again for Saturday, really hoping they can get something done, as someone needs to bend on the revenue split, cause if a deal doesn't get done this weekend it seems really likely the whole season will be scraped.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Idk if the whole year will be tanked if nothing gets done this weekend but if did get done this weekend it can still save most of the season to be able to have a 78 game season which is great. I think if it doesn't get done this weekend then something like a 72 game season might still be possible.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
The NBA Season will most likely be a bore for many because of this crap.

Ben

Reaction score
All of November is already cancelled, right?

So I can def see Stern canceling the first week or two of December is nothing is done, I think no games by christmas is going to be when there's problems.

Just a shame cause I really think the league was really starting to gain back a lot of fans with last season, lots of good teams, and countless great rivalries building.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'll lmao if the owners don't bend and the players decertify. There would be no cap and the owners would be fucked, and anti trust laws will cause a judge to rule in favor of ending the lockout since it would be illegal without a union in place (as would salary caps, RFA, luxury taxes, burd rights, and revenue sharing).

Last edited: