• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Christian

Reaction score
What do you think? 6 pages or so in Word, but if you smoke weed you probably won't be able to stop reading it.

Christian Boggs
English 1102
April 11, 2009
Marijuana
Ask yourself this- Would any civilized, educated being ever want a drug like marijuana to be legalized for use all over our country? Surely anyone who is intelligent would say no, drugs should never be legalized or decriminalized because they are bad for your health. But what about people who they can help? Dr. Lester Greenspoon of Harvard Law tells a story about how he once had a son named Danny. Danny had a rare series of diseases known as “Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia†which caused him severe nausea and vomiting throughout his (failed) treatment. As his chemotherapy treatment progressed, his nausea and vomiting became worse. In order to prevent this, Dr. Greenspoon did some research from different parts of the United States and discovered a boy in Houston that had the same problems as his son, Danny. The boy from Houston had claimed that marijuana eliminated the nausea and vomiting completely. Dr. Greenspoon decided that it was worth a try, and allowed Danny to smoke a joint of marijuana twenty minutes before his next chemotherapy session. Like the boy in Houston claimed, Danny’s nausea and vomiting were eliminated and the only thing Danny could say afterwards was “Dad, can we get a submarine sandwich on the way home?†This study by Dr. Greenspoon led to the very first study of marijuana in nausea and vomiting.
Dr. Greenspoon’s intelligence and touching story of his late son Danny would surely inspire most people to try and join in on the fight against marijuana’s illegalization, so the question is raised- Should the current marijuana laws set by the federal government in the United States be changed? The current legislation in most states says that if someone is caught with anything from a stem to a seed, the police can immediately take them to jail with a possession charge. If someone is caught with less than an ounce of marijuana, their license can possibly be revoked for a year, and a hefty fine must be paid, and sometimes they might have to spend a night or more in prison for their non-violent, victimless “crimeâ€. Possession of more than an ounce is a felony which stays on record for life, but what is the big problem and why are key government officials against its legalization? Legalization of marijuana has been a very hot topic among the public lately, and for good reason. People like Danny could use medical marijuana to cure chronic pain and disease, and if regulated and taxed, our number one cash crop (yes, marijuana) could potentially earn each state over one billion dollars a year. Marijuana is currently illegal because of the war on drugs, even though it’s possible tax revenue and medical benefits outweigh the negatives completely.
Although marijuana’s medical uses have been a key argument for the supporters of legalization, a new breakthrough has recently been brought to the public’s attention. Marijuana’s tax benefits have been researched for years but no government official has raised the question publicly until now, in California, where nearly a third of the population consumes the drug. The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) is a non-profit organization that has been around for over 30 years trying to help get the public to try and reform the current laws on marijuana. NORML has worked with politicians in California who support the legalization of marijuana (all of which are trying to run for governor) to analyze the benefits of legalization.
A tax of $1 per half-gram of marijuana would raise nearly one billion dollars a year, and retail sales from the legal market would range anywhere from $3-$5 billion, which is another $250-$400 million in sales taxes. That’s only from buying the drug itself! When it’s legalized, the possibilities for new industries will be endless, from tourist sites such as coffee shops and paraphernalia shops to the use of industrial hemp in materials, medicines, food, and even dietary supplements. These additional industries would make over eight billion dollars a year total, and they would strengthen our economy by providing thousands of jobs, not to mention saving the state literally millions of dollars a year by not having to arrest people for marijuana. Over seven hundred thousand people are arrested each year for marijuana, and only 75% of those people are only arrested for possession and it fills our prisons with non-violent drug offenders. It costs over twenty thousand dollars a year to keep just one of those people in prison. One of my own friends was recently charged with possession of marijuana, even though he had less than a gram on him. It will be on his record forever, and he will probably be on probation during the summer.
So, after all the possible economic benefits, why does the government continue to vote against legalization? If legalized, our country would have thousands less people in prisons wasting our tax dollars, and courts, police, and lawyers could deal with real crime, and black market profits from cannabis alone would drop to zero immediately and eliminate a lot of violence that happens because of drug dealers. By not legalizing marijuana, the government is just driving the prices up, driving the profit margin up for these violent drug dealers, and making more and more drugs to get put into circulation. I could walk down the street from my house right now and guarantee that I could come back with as much marijuana as someone needs.
Because of the “black market†for marijuana all over the country, including down the street from my house, marijuana’s current illegality is comparable to Prohibition in the 20’s and 30’s. Bootleggers stepped in then to create and sell alcohol and drug dealers do the same thing nowadays. People were killed over that then, and people are killed over drugs now, because violence is the only way to resolve disputes in the black market, where drugs are sold. These violent drug dealers are unstoppable, because if you take out one or even a whole gang of them, they will just be replaced by others overnight. Last week, three people were shot and a sixteen year old was killed right in front of my house by gang members on Hank Aaron Drive, for what? Apparently one of the kids shot was mistaken for someone who had been taking the shooters’ drug customers. What kind of message does that send to people across America?
The chairman of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University, Joseph A. Califano, argues for a public health campaign to inform society about the “dangers†of marijuana. He claims that youth treatment and emergency room visits that are related to marijuana usage have increased, although the total number of people using the drug is on a decline. Califano says that although the message to young people about the dangers of nicotine has gotten through to them, there is no public health message about the dangers of marijuana. Reports released by CASA tell about consequences that could occur if marijuana was to be legalized, and another report tells about how marijuana is a “gateway drug†and that it leads you to try other, “harder†drugs such as cocaine, meth, or even heroin and that you can become addicted to marijuana quite easily.
A survey released by the government shows marijuana use among high school seniors has increased by about 62% since 1994, while cocaine use has increased from 5.9% in 1994 to 9.8% in 1999, and ecstasy rose from 5.6% in 1999 to 8.2% in 2000. That’s only around four percent of an increase in “hard†drugs, even though the increase of marijuana users has nearly doubled. This just proves that many people, like my good friends and I, are actually smart when it comes to this subject and have never even thought about trying one of the “harder†drugs like cocaine, ecstasy, or heroin that can permanently damage you for the rest of your life. Another article shows that while only 9% of marijuana users become dependant on the drug, 32% of tobacco smokers, 23% of heroin users, 17% of cocaine users, and 15% of alcohol drinkers become dependent on their respective drug.
The initial CASA reports are also backed by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. The same reports claim that average levels of marijuana’s active ingredient has increased from around one percent (in the 70’s) to around 9 percent or even higher today. People against legalization argue that marijuana is the most abused drug by people under eighteen, and that if it was legalized the percentage of abusers would skyrocket. According to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), marijuana is a schedule I drug, which means it has a “high potential†for abuse. The DEA also says that marijuana has no “accepted†medical use in the United States.
Scientific research has been done for years to determine whether or not marijuana has any medical use, but other research has also been done, proving that marijuana does affect short term and long term memory loss. Whether you smoke a joint or a lot more over a long period of time, you will be negatively impacted. This includes your short term memory, attention span, motivation, concentration, problem solving, coordination, judgment, reaction time, and most importantly, your health. Because coordination and reaction time are effected, marijuana is said to contribute to deaths and injuries by adolescents operating motor vehicles while under the influence because it is “affects senses as much as alcohol†which is false. While driving sober, the rate of getting into an accident is 1.3. If you were driving under the influence of alcohol, the risk raises, multiplying that 1.3 over 15 times. But with cannabis, it only raises to 3. Although this proves that you shouldn’t drive while you’re under the influence of any drug, marijuana should not be illegal because of the possibility of it happening, especially when its medical effects are far greater than someone driving under the influence.
Nearly three months ago I quit my restaurant job in hopes of working at “Telecycle†close to Interstate 285. Two of my good friends Tucker and Mitch work there, and I personally know the head manager Steve’s children Andrew and Abby through school and other social events. On the day I was supposed to go in for the initial interview, I was called and told not to come in, because it was not the best time for Steve. I said it was fine and didn’t investigate the matter any further until I got to my friend Tucker’s house, where his mother was nearly in tears. She had just gotten off of the phone with Steve, who told her his daughter Abby was diagnosed with cancer in her left knee, and the only way to possibly get rid of it was for her to undergo a grueling six months of chemotherapy. After her second month, her brother Andrew said that she was not doing too well and was very sick from the treatment, before informing us that his mother recently agreed to allow Abby to smoke marijuana in hopes of her severe nausea getting better. It worked, and although she is still not allowed to leave the house, she is feeling much better and Andrew said she doesn’t look as sick as she was beforehand. His mother was totally against the legalization of marijuana before, but like many, she has put her faith aside and is now an avid supporter of medical marijuana.
I am also one hundred percent for the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana. I have heard plenty of stories about how medical marijuana helped people going through different types of chemotherapy, and I know that it would help our government and country a lot more than hurt it. All they would have to do is legalize it and tax it, and then the government would make a lot of money instead of paying millions of dollars to arrest and jail non-violent offenders who are charged with something small like possession. Ever since my friend was charged with possession of marijuana, he can not stop worrying about his future and how his soon-to-be charge will show up for every job and college he applies for. Our country needs to crack down on drugs that have no medical benefits, and are extraordinarily bad for your health and well-being, not to mention how doing hard drugs can affect your family and close friends.

therazar

Reaction score
The current legislation in most states says that if someone is caught with anything from a stem to a seed, the police can immediately take them to jail with a possession charge. If someone is caught with less than an ounce of marijuana

I don't think I'm reading this part right. An ounce is a decent amount and goes for 70-100 $ depending on where you are. If you get caught you only get one night in jail? My brother has gotten caught on in my front yard. He probably had less then a gram. Also I think the government would not have any control over taxation of weed. Who would pay the tax when they could buy it without a tax? And how would the police know which weed has been taxed? Those are the only problems I see the government having with legalizing it.

Travis40

It shouldn't be legal for people to just buy off the street, although it could be in some cases for medical use. People shouldn't just be able to walk into a doctors office and be handed marijuana. It should only be used for extreme cases like the one mention at the start of the story.

Ever since my friend was charged with possession of marijuana, he can not stop worrying about his future and how his soon-to-be charge will show up for every job and college he applies for.

And who's fault is that? He knew the consequences before he started touching the shit, so it's his fault that it will show up on every job and college application. BTW, this paper is calling for legalization of marijuana that is sold on the streets, and you're bringing up instances that include medical reasons (medical marijuana is already legal, so I don't know why you use that in the story).

EDIT - Although I'm strongly against the legalization of marijuana (my friend's family was torn apart due to marijuana), it's a very good case, and it's a great paper.

Christian

Reaction score
Why did you cut off the end of the second sentence?

If someone is caught with less than an ounce of marijuana , their license can possibly be revoked for a year, and a hefty fine must be paid, and sometimes they might have to spend a night or more in prison for their non-violent, victimless “crime”.

If you are under 18, hell even if you're not, they will take your shit and call your parents, maybe take you to jail and make them get you from there at the most. That's if you have less than an ounce on you, because less than an ounce is a misdemeanor. If you're over 18 they will take you to jail but you won't have to stay there for long before you get out. If you have over an ounce you're fucked because it's a felony. So you'll probably get charged with trafficking or distributing if you're driving with it. You go on probation and lose your license regardless if you get caught with a pound, ounce, half ounce or even a seed and they charge you.

As for the tax part you have to go read the proposals that are on the news. Everyone would pay the tax because it would be regulated by the government, and it would be cheaper than getting it from drug dealers because you can just get it at the store. Drug dealers wouldn't be able to get the shit like the government would, so they would go under. The police wouldn't give a shit if it's legal (see Canada).

Christian

Reaction score
Tarvis

And who's fault is that? He knew the consequences before he started touching the shit, so it's his fault that it will show up on every job and college application. BTW, this paper is calling for legalization of marijuana that is sold on the streets, and you're bringing up instances that include medical reasons (medical marijuana is already legal, so I don't know why you use that in the story).
I'm just incorporating personal experience into the paper. You get higher grades :p And you missed the biggest "instance" of them all. The money that the government will make.

It shouldn't be legal for people to just buy off the street, although it could be in some cases for medical use. People shouldn't just be able to walk into a doctors office and be handed marijuana. It should only be used for extreme cases like the one mention at the start of the story.

An opinion I guess? Can you share how your friend's family was torn apart so I can understand your reasoning more?

therazar

Reaction score
I didn't include it because I was pointing out one ounce is not a small amount.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Three Things.

1) Being the fact that marijuana is illegal is stupid in the first place. Sixty years ago it was legal in ALL its forms. Back even further then that when we first started this country we used marijuana for recreational use, the hemp for clothes, rope and paper. Hell the original copy of the declaration of independence was made from hemp. Go even a step FURTHER and you will find that copies of the BIBLE were made from hemp.

that being said.

2) The ONLY reason that marijuana is illegalized now is because it takes money away from the lumber and tobacco industries. Corporate lobbyists made sure and have made sure that the tobacco industry does not get driven out by legalized marijuana and that the lumber industry stays in tact because if we went back to using hemp we would never have to cut down another tree for paper again. Instead of taking 30 years for a renewable resource you'd have it all grown back in 3 months. And despite the fact that it would make the government as a whole a ton of money, corporate lobbyists don't want to lose their current industries.

and THAT being said.

3) Although it's idiotic to have it be illegal, the fact that it IS illegal nowadays should be respected and fought in civilized court. Not trafficked illegally. Not homegrown and hidden, because you're going to be constantly paranoid because even if you want to defend its legality, in the mean time YOU KNOW it's wrong. So any idiot who wants to take the risk and still grow marijuana and some even sell it, despite government warnings and fines. Don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you're slapped with six months in prison and a 5K fine.

CT Styles

The fact it's illegal should still be obeyed. Sure, there's great reasons in there, etc. but it's still illegal until stated otherwise by the government. For the last few months I've been smoking I'd say three grams a week and it takes a hell of an effect and three days ago I stopped because there's a girl I like who I'm trying to impress. Reading some of the punishments in here really makes me want to stop.

I got pulled up the other day by the cops for a bag check and in my wallet was two grams, lucky they didn't check but shit, I'd still be fucked.

When they got my name one of them said, 'I know that name, I've dealt with you before.' :shifty:

JimmyD

Reaction score
Decent paper.

A couple of observations though:

You discuss the fiscal benefits the legalisation of the drug would have at length, but don't really dedicate enough time to the fact that the War on Drugs doesn't work and is largely futile; that cannabis is so readily available as to almost be legal already, and that the legalisation would allow police to focus on more important drugs.

The fact is that people who want to take drugs are going to take drugs. There's nothing you can do to stop this, and arresting a handful certainly doesn't deter the millions of others. The drug itself may be bad for you, but no more so than cigarettes or alcohol. The answer then is to turn it into an industry and make some money off of the people who have chosen to take it.

Aside from that, you haven't mentioned that the states that kept marijuana legal in the 1980s actually saw the number of people taking it remain steady, while those who criminalised it saw an increase that actually took their numbers of users above those of the states where it was still legal. The point here being that if the drug's illegal then anyone can get a hold of it; you're essentially relying on the morality of drug dealers (not exactly something you want to rely on) to not see the drug in the hands of children. If the drug becomes legal then you can slap an age limit of 18 on it and instantly reduce the risk that minors are going to get their grubby little hands on it. Bearing in mind that the most dangerous time to smoke weed is when your body is still growing and it becomes a pretty damning argument for the argument that the drug should stay illegal. There is a source for the stats I threw in above, and I actually used in a similar debate a while back, but I can't get onto the page at the moment.

Christian

Reaction score
Three Things.

1) Being the fact that marijuana is illegal is stupid in the first place. Sixty years ago it was legal in ALL its forms. Back even further then that when we first started this country we used marijuana for recreational use, the hemp for clothes, rope and paper. Hell the original copy of the declaration of independence was made from hemp. Go even a step FURTHER and you will find that copies of the BIBLE were made from hemp.

that being said.

2) The ONLY reason that marijuana is illegalized now is because it takes money away from the lumber and tobacco industries. Corporate lobbyists made sure and have made sure that the tobacco industry does not get driven out by legalized marijuana and that the lumber industry stays in tact because if we went back to using hemp we would never have to cut down another tree for paper again. Instead of taking 30 years for a renewable resource you'd have it all grown back in 3 months. And despite the fact that it would make the government as a whole a ton of money, corporate lobbyists don't want to lose their current industries.

I would like to add these to my paper - do you know of any articles where it talks about the second paragraph??

Quintastic One

Reaction score
Specific articles no. But you can easily look up on google "history of hemp" or something along though lines.

Christian

Reaction score
yeah it took me a minute to find an scholarly article online talking about taking away from the mentioned industries, but i found one. added these two paragraphs right after my thesis statement which i need to revise because I don't mention the war on drugs that much- (Marijuana is currently illegal because of the war on drugs, even though it’s possible tax revenue and medical benefits outweigh the negatives completely.) oh and i added citations so excuse those

The fact that marijuana is illegal is strange in the first place. Sixty years ago it was legal in all its forms, including hemp. Back even further then that when settlers first came to America, they used marijuana for recreational use, and the hemp for clothes, rope, paper, and other necessities. Hemp’s use was so popular back in those days that even books like the Bible and historical documents like the United States Declaration of Independence were printed on paper made from it, yet it still remains illegal today (Rolling Stone 58).
One of the reasons that marijuana is illegal now is because it takes money away from the lumber and tobacco industries. Corporate lobbyists have made sure that the tobacco industry does not get driven out by legalized marijuana and that the lumber industry stays in tact because if we went back to using hemp we would never have to cut down another tree for paper again (“ACLU”). Instead of taking thirty years for a renewable resource you'd have it all grown back in three months. And despite the fact that it would make the government a whole ton of money and has strong medical effects, corporate lobbyists don't want to lose their current industries.

MikeRaw

I read some of it, but not all. My thoughts though are weed should be legal, it's weed. Who cares? It can't just be legal for any amounts though. There has to be some laws, like limits and stuff, but even though I don't use it, I would prefer it to be legal.

CT Styles

How are they going to put limits on how much you get though? You can just get your friend to go in and buy some.