Mortal Kombat (2021)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
I’m kinda warming up to the Cole character as I learn more. I hated the idea of him, I’m just not a fan of tossing in some random person, but, one theory I read was that he is possibly a relative of Scorpion. Whether it turns out to be accurate or not, still an interesting concept.

I'll take that and originally in the Timeline Scorpion killed Bi-Han who Joe Taslim is playing and later his Younger Brother came into the fold for revenge. I wonder if Scorpion killed Bi-Han's Younger Brother Kuai Liang and then Bi-Han found out he had family and wanted to collect a death debt.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I'll take that and originally in the Timeline Scorpion killed Bi-Han who Joe Taslim is playing and later his Younger Brother came into the fold for revenge. I wonder if Scorpion killed Bi-Han's Younger Brother Kuai Liang and then Bi-Han found out he had family and wanted to collect a death debt.

Nah I’m sure Scorpion will kill Bi Han in this film and Kuai Liang will take over in the sequel.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
5085EFC7-827B-4D3D-8949-D77A1BF3A710.jpeg

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Poster is awesome!

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
This is my long ass opinion on the movie after watching it last night that I wrote on my FB.

—————————————————————

New MK movie has been watched, I’ll just toss in my thoughts for those wondering how it is.

A few things before I get to spoilers, the movie only had a $50M budget, so, the CGI was rubbish and some of the set was incredibly fake looking. Cole and his family sucked, I could not care less about any of them and would not have shed a tear if they had all been killed 5 seconds in to the movie. I wish they’d stop feeling like they have to add some made up character to these movies. People want to follow the actual characters, not some douchenozzle made up guy that we can “relate” to, when we actually just want him to get a fatality done to him.

The moves and fatalities they included were awesome, straight from the games.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed the movie. The original is still easily the best one, this new one absolutely beats Annihilation, that movie was straight trash. I didn’t go in expecting the greatest MK movie of all time, I had fun watching it, regardless of its flaws.

Time for ***SPOILERS**** so don’t read ahead if you don’t want to know more.

—————————————————————-
Have to start first with Raiden, of course. I was not angered with his portrayal. The actor is from Ichi the Killer, an awesome movie, especially if you enjoy some gore I’ll still always be bitter about the lack of involvement he has, but, any Raiden screen time makes me happy .

Sub-Zero was awesome in this movie, as expected from the trailers. Pretty certain we are gonna get Noob Saibot in part 2 (assuming they go ahead with it). His costume, his persona, everything was well done, no negatives here.

Scorpion was barely in the movie, probably a total of like 15 minutes. The times he was in it, he was great. His spear is amazing in this one, I know the original was made in a time of weaker CGI, but, considering the low level CGI work done in this movie, the spear didn’t look any bit as fake as in the original movie. I’m sure Scorpion will be a bigger character in part 2, now that they’ve gone through the story and he’s resurrected.

Kung Lao was my favorite in this movie (besides Raiden). So happy about them using his buzzsaw fatality. His entire costume was pretty cool, his teleport and hat throws were included, that was great to add in. Was disappointed that they did one of the best characters dirty with a death, come on, man

Kabal, hellllll yeah, he was awesome and funny his mask looked a bit cheap, but, whatever, I liked that he was in it, I liked that they had his weapons pretty spot on, liked how they had his dash, did not like that he got a Liu Kang fatality, he would have easily kicked his azz

Kano easily stole this movie, he was absolutely hilarious in every single scene he was in. I spent each time laughing my azz off, he will make you like him, even if you didn’t in the games. Great casting here, just wished they had given him his metal plate.

Mileena was well done, I remember all the crying people did months ago about her mouth not being done properly, well, it was, just have to watch it and it happens. I wasn’t happy with her death, she would not have gone down that easily irl (lol “irl”). Fck Sonya.

Reptile, wtf man, best ninja (fight me) and they do him no justice not even making him in ninja form, just CGI big lizard. They finally get invisibility and acid spit in there, but, of course don’t make him ninja form to make the entire thing come together in awesomeness ffs

Jax, same old boring Jax. His tiny terminator arms made me laugh, though. At least they didn’t do his big boot fatality. Once he got his bigger metal arms, he looked just like the games.

Sonya was good, hard to say which Sonya was better as I like the original and this one (second one sucked). Her rings were a nice add, but, shouldn’t have killed Mileena, Mileena would have ruined her

Liu Kang was not the star so I enjoyed him in this movie. Not a fan of the character, glad he was just basically a tour guide in this one lolololol fatality was cool, but, disgusted it was used on Kabal

Shang Tsung was okay, I guess it’s hard to judge without bias because the original actor was so awesome in the role that I can’t even hold anyone else close to that amount of greatness.

Cole was diarrhea, I gave exactly zero F’s about this guy and his life, his powers sucked, just like him. Good actor, just terrible character no one asked for.

Nitara was completely wasted, but, not even sure why she was included. Buzzsaw fatality was made very useful here hahaha

Reiko, why? Does anyone actually like this character?

Goro looked like Goro, but, I like the original better cuz he wasn’t CGI. A lot of CGI when it comes to characters ruins it for me.

Kitana’s fan in the background was pretty cool to see and the picture of Nightwolf. “ Eddie Tobias” lmfao, Shinnok’s amulet Kano tried to steal, paintings of a few characters when Liu Kang is giving the tour, Shao Kahn statue, Easter eggs for the fans.

No tournament yet, just the mention of it, but, I get it, this movie is just a build up to the tournament.

Nice to see Johnny Cage poster at the end signalling his involvement in part 2. Kinda weird they left him out as he’s one of the most popular characters, but, it did leave for a hype ending.

I might be forgetting some stuff, but, overall, I did like it and would watch it again. Flaws, yes, comes across more as an episode from a tv series, sure, but, it was still enjoyable to watch imo. Hope they do continue the movies, with more money for a bigger budget, this movie is in desperate need of better CGI, they can get a pass for this one cuz we know it was low budget.

Also, it would be very awesome if they had Kenshi in the next one (or at least one of the movies) and a Sindel who doesn’t have one of the worst lines in movie history.

Last edited:

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
MORTAL KOMBAT! I just finished watching this Film and I can say bravo to all the people who worked hard on this Film and taking a chance with this property. Now it's time to dive into all my thoughts on this film.

Thank goodness they had legit Martial Arts or at least people with real talent because it made the fights worth it. I like to address the Cole Character situation and say overall he was okay. Cole of been suited for a TV Series leading to the Film but we didn't get that so we have to deal with it. People complaining hello do you know MK lore theirs been so many new Characters to serve the Story like him. People forget Shujinko showed up in Deception the Game and you go through all of that Training to become the badass old Man we know today and that was in 2004. Even in MK Armageddon Taven and Daegon who are Half Gods need to go through a journey to decide the fate of everything. I think we need more Cole like Characters for this Series to grow outside of the lore for the Video Game I feel. I don't know how I feel about Cole beating Goro though I'm going with how he's been treated in Games and Films even though Cole outsmarted him with his MMA Background and with his arcana I just can't see him beating Goro. Granted he needed to beat someone kinda sucks they didn't save Goro for the 2nd film. The whole background of him being a descendant for Hanzo I knew he was going to be related to someone and I don't mind it's Scorpion and the arc with Lin Kuei/Noob Saibot and later Bi Han's Brother should be continuing in the next film.

Sub Zero might be my MVP of this Film if not Kano because the way he was handled. That is how you treat an Ninja Assassin and boy Joe Taslim handled the role and took it to great lengths. I love everything he did in the film and even though when he turns into Noob Saibot with the help of Shang and Quan Chi I hope he keeps that attitude instead of being a mindless freak. Scorpion even though he was used in bites he was used the way I felt he needed to be handled. No longer the person under the control of Shang Tsung he serves for himself and like the later Games he's going to be a major help for Earthrealm. Easily the fight with Sub Zero and Scorpion the best fight of the fight if not the invasion fights when Shang and his people invaded the Temple.

I liked Kung Lao and Liu Kang being mentors in this film to the other Earthrealm Champions. They wanted to bring out their arcana and they needed to be dicks to get the job done. I was yelling at the top of my lungs when Kung Lao got killed by Shang Tsung you know with his death brings upon the Earthrealm win for Liu which will matter now because of the investment you got here for him to get revenge for his Cousin. I do wonder where was Kitana in this and for a moment I thought maybe she's dead because of our Mentors knowing this MK life for awhile now but I guess she's with the Emperor Shao Kahn and hasn't broken away from him yet.

Sonya was well done as well in this film and I loved Bridgette Wilson for various reasons but she did a great job in this film. The hate for Kano was strong and it was great to see her kill...maybe Kano and getting some sweet upgrades as well. She also helped Jax when he needed someone to tell him it's going to be okay keep fighting so a good casting I feel with her. Shang Tsung was okay we only got to see some his work and I feel because he's going to get his hands really dirty in the next film and with the power he has under his belt good luck trying to stop him Earth's Champions. Kabal looked great in his look to me and I'm kinda bummed he got killed out, but they got his abilities right and even though he can dash like crazy he ain't build for the long haul which is why Kang eventually beat him. Reptile might not be the same one we know and I imagine that Creature is a basic form for a fully trained one we see in partly Ninja part animalistic form. In the 95 MK film the fight with Kang was still my favorite for the film hopefully he gets one down the road.

THANK FUCKINGGGG GOD FOR KANO IN THIS FILM!! We needed his Comedy and his stole every Scene he was apart of and did it with ease. Kano will stab you in the back if he does one dollar more from someone and it was great to see him being him and it came so late too I thought he was going to save it for the next film. The Scene he had where he was going at Kung Lao and bringing out his hidden potential was great whoever did his lines in this film needs a raise because they truly know Kano.

So Earth's Warrior survive but the Tournament hasn't started yet so is the Tournament like next Week or a Month from now because it felt like through Shang that the Tournament was right around the corner and he wanted to not deal with him rather break the rules. I'm still wondering how in the hell did he find out about Cole is their some kind of way to find out who are guys that blessed or rather cursed with the MK mark. Remember Cole got from birth so it was passed on for Years and we don't know if anyone else in his family fought in MK still Cole being found out to be taken out by Sub Zero was too easy maybe it was Shang and his powers. Cole is the perfect guy to get Cage because their total opposites and it's going to be interesting how he Cage to join the cause.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Just got out of the film. Overall a great experience. This movie isn’t gonna win any awards and that’s fine. It’s there to waste two hours at the theatre having fun and seeing people’s heads get exploded. Kano was easily the MVP of this film. Some of his lines had me fucking dying. Sub Zero and Scorpion were also great even though Scorpion is barely in it. The fight scenes were done really well and I loved the fatalities. They did my boy Kung Lao dirty by killing him off so soon. I get they wanted the movie to have stakes but come the fuck on. I felt like a lot of the villains were wasted here especially Mileena and Goro. It’s like Goro was just there to give Cole a way to unlock his arcana. I wish they used Goro as a champion in the mortal kombat tournament. Cole Young really wasn’t that bad of a character. It was just funny he went from getting beat by randos in MMA to defeating the worlds greatest fighters. I get it was to protect his family but still. There really isn’t much to say about the film. The plot was straightforward and nothing special. The pacing was awkward at parts. However the character interactions (especially Kano) were mostly interesting and the fight scenes were awesome so did we really need anything else. I felt like some of the villains were wasted and Kung Lao was killed way too early. Shang Tsung wasn’t given that much of an arc and I’d say he was the only thing that I liked better from the 1995 movie. Overall this was a solid film that allowed for a good time at the theater. It was nothing special but I liked it and I’ll be more than happy to see a sequel. And I do like it more than the 1995 film lol.

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Sequel officially greenlit with the same director.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I don’t care lmao. The first one was trash. Story was nothing, characters were wasted

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Just why?

Oh yeah....money.

Y2Jayne

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
I hope they bring back Kano, he was the best part of the first movie. With the underworld thing, they always manage to bring back the characters in the games so it's possible.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Y2Jayne

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
I don’t care lmao. The first one was trash. Story was nothing, characters were wasted
Just got out of the film. Overall a great experience. It was nothing special but I liked it and I’ll be more than happy to see a sequel.
Sabs pulled another Love and Thunder here I see.
:hayden3

Anyway Joel McHale is rumored to be Johnny Cage in the sequel.

Sabretooth

Reaction score

Yeah after a reevaluation I realized it fucking sucked lmao

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8

Wait, Joel McHale from Community? Or is that another McHale?

Y2Jayne

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler