Montreal Screwjob

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
But as long as Bret was willing to drop it before he left which he was, then how is it him trying to be bigger than the company? He was due a ppv win over Michaels, and besides when you give someone creative control you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

He claims he was ready to drop it but Vince couldn't take that risk. It was bad enough when the Women's title was dropped in the trash on Nitro, imagine how bad it would have looked if the WWF champion dropped the belt into the trash on Nitro. It would have made WWF look like a laughing stock and Vince had to do what he thought was best for the company. Bret was on his way out so that changes everything with him being owed a PPV win over Michaels. In the end even if a wrestler has creative control if the company thinks it is the right thing to do they would have the power to do it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
He claims he was ready to drop it but Vince couldn't take that risk. It was bad enough when the Women's title was dropped in the trash on Nitro, imagine how bad it would have looked if the WWF champion dropped the belt into the trash on Nitro. It would have made WWF look like a laughing stock and Vince had to do what he thought was best for the company. Bret was on his way out so that changes everything with him being owed a PPV win over Michaels. In the end even if a wrestler has creative control if the company thinks it is the right thing to do they would have the power to do it.
But, Bret being the stickler to the old school ways, there was no thinking he would ever do that to the company that made him the star that he was he was the same guy to take lesser deal with WWE in 96 to stay loyal to taht company, when so many people were jumping ship.

That being said, I always thought it would've been a better scenario if he was the one to drop it to Steve Austin because I thought that was the guy he was the his biggest feud at that time was I didn't know about the backstage workings then, and I thought Austin was his ultimate rival, being the young mark that I was.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
But, Bret being the stickler to the old school ways, there was no thinking he would ever do that to the company that made him the star that he was he was the same guy to take lesser deal with WWE in 96 to stay loyal to taht company, when so many people were jumping ship.

That being said, I always thought it would've been a better scenario if he was the one to drop it to Steve Austin because I thought that was the guy he was the his biggest feud at that time was I didn't know about the backstage workings then, and I thought Austin was his ultimate rival, being the young mark that I was.

True that he had shown loyalty by signing that deal with WWE rather than jumping and it was basically Vince telling him to leave the company because he couldn't pay him. But Vince wouldn't have been thinking clearly at that time because he was in a battle. It wouldn't have been that much of a stretch for him to think that Bret would take the title to WCW with him, especially if a few people that didn't like Bret had Vince's ear and kept mentioning the chance of him doing that.

Austin taking the title would have been a good idea. They had a great feud in 97 and their WM match is a classic, wouldn't have been too hard to get Austin into the title scene and have him take the title then instead of HBK but that would have been before Austin had any say backstage.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, Bret missing out on huge pay days by not appearing on WWE television from 2000 when he WCW contract ended up to 2010 really showed how great a worker he was...

What did you wan't him to do, no-sell a stroke?

He couldn't step foot in a ring again because he claimed a massive payout on health insurance.

FalconPunch

Reaction score
What did you wan't him to do, no-sell a stroke?

He couldn't step foot in a ring again because he claimed a massive payout on health insurance.

I wasn't implying he wrestle. But he certainly could have made appearances.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I wasn't implying he wrestle. But he certainly could have made appearances.

If it was the greatest work he would've actually opted out of his WCW contract because he had an opt out clause and wrestle Vince at WM 99 or 00, people need to read his book before making conspiracy theories this is like Ultimate Warrior died.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yeah it is a shame Bret had to retire too soon, if not for the stroke I think he still would have had a good three or four years ahead, but once that happened it was the only option to enjoy retirement.

Personally I agree with deezy there was never any possiblity in my mind of Bret not dropping the title before leaving, he never had problems doing jobs before, and it is just common sense, you leave a promotion and its title stays put.