• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Meltdown XXX & Fallout 030 || Promo Thread

Death Walker

Better Known As King Of Armageddon | Trapped In Darkness
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
batista
New Beginnings

“I think that's everything, the guys loaded up the truck for this last load. Can they hit the road or did you have anything else that you wanted to have them do?”

“Nah, we'll head out together. I'm ready to move on and have a fresh start, you know?”

The silhouettes of two men leaving a dark home as one of them closes the door. In pitch black, the men can still be heard getting into their vehicles as doors slam shut. The engines start up and even without squeaky brakes or auto parts gone bad, the vehicles can be heard pulling off. Remaining in darkness, the story continues with more conversation and music playing in the background.

“You know I think it's good that we're heading out of town. I know how much you love it but let's try somewhere you feel… more comfortable.”

“Somewhere more comfortable? If it ain't LA then I don't wanna be comfortable.”

“Come on, man just… just try and make the best of it. It could be much worse.”

“Much worse? Like what?”

“Like being made to move in a place that you're obligated to live in. Or like, having to move back and live up on your mom- … Ay, man I’m sorry, D.”

“Sorry about what you obviously had something to say. Finish what the fuck you were gonna say. Live up on MY?! My what?!? Huh, my… my… my mom?”

“Ay dog, you know I ain't even mean to bring up about your dead mom.”

“Just shut the fuck up and listen to the music.”

The sounds from someone's fingers adjusting a cassette player or CD player on a car’s stereo is the noise being made.

After the chorus kicks off and the voice of one of these men mimics the lyrics, he starts up another conversation with the other voice.

“Ay fool, remember Tamika back in the day?”

“What Tamika?”

“Tamika from Fairfax, she got that sister, Courtney.”

“Oh yeaaaah! What about her?”

“Man, we used to kick it tough back then.”

“What you mean by that?”

“Like I said we used to kick it tough especially when her moms was gone, she'd have me drop by and pick her up. Then we would go down to the Marina.”

“Get the fuck outta here!”

Both men laugh for a bit before continuing their discussion.

“I’m serious, fool. I had her all into me and shit, she was always hitting me up every Thursday after school.”

“Ah hell nah, I ain't believing that one. Her fine ass wasn't checkin’ for your ugly Tyrone Biggums ass.”

“Man, fuck you!”

The guys carry on joking and laughing as they ride down the streets and highways leading to the freeway.

“Shit and her sister, Courtney was scoping me too.”

“You a lyin’ ass muthafucka, you know that?”

“Nah but for real… remember… what's her name?”

“Huh? Who?”

“Uhh uh, Monica… the girl that we met when you first moved over here.”

“Oh… she um… we just… never really talked that much. And when we did, we just… just…”

“Just what, dog? Y'all didn't go out? Hook up? Kicked it?”

“It wasn't like that with her… She… She was special, we would talk all night long on the phone. We listened to our radios, talked about our favorite snacks and fast food spots, our favorite TV shows, our dream homes.”

“Ah shit, Darius Wright was IN LOVE!!!! Awww so sweet, when were y’all getting married?”

“Ay man, cut it out. We were just really good friends. She knew how to figure me out. That girl… it was like she was another part of me, we could just sense each other's moods and how we would think.”

“Had a muthafucka’s nose wide open, I see.”

“Somethin’ like that. I really cared deeply about her.”

“So… what happened to her?”

“I'm not sure, one day I tried to call her and her phone went straight to voicemail.”

“Well maybe she was busy, did you text her or call her back?”

“A few times and I even went over to her place but no one was there. Even her car was gone, it's like she just vanished.”

“That's crazy. Did you keep checking or just gave up?”

“Both. Just seemed strange, she wouldn't leave without saying something. No goodbye. No note. No call or text.”

“It might've been for the best, you can easily find someone else.”

“But not like her, she was different, JP. Anyways, I'm more concerned with this move.”

“Yeah so you were saying that your… mentor died?”

“Yeah, this trainer of mine up and passed away. And I had to get away, far away from Los Angeles. Away from California, you know?”

“Uh huh, I get it. But far across the country, somewhere you’ve never been before?”

“Who said I haven't been to the south?”

“Okay, you got a point, bruh. Just wake me up at the first pit stop and I'll take over driving the rest of the way.”

“Oh you thought you had a choice. Your ass was gonna drive as soon as I got tired enough. So get your nap in now and expect to switch with me after a couple of states.”

“Alright, big homie.”

THE PRESENT

The Dark Guardian: “My Lord, we’ve got everything loaded up and ready to go. Shall we proceed as planned?”

At a quiet and dark hour, The Death Walker nods then turns around from facing his former home at the end of this cul-de-sac. He looks at the moving trucks as well as his own truck then he walks over to his followers who await their next orders. Patting one or two of them on their shoulder before getting into his black F-150 truck.

TDG: “ALRIGHT, LET’S HEAD OUT!”

The Dark Guardian joins Death Walker inside his truck as he starts it up and they lead the charge amongst the roads. The trucks pull off one by one, following right behind The Dark Traveler’s truck.

TDG: “You know for what it's worth, My Lord… I think this is an excellent idea, I mean we have these other spacious bases in undisclosed locations. Not to mention some bunkers that can contain our whole flock. The Terrors of Darkness are becoming the new biggest threat, one mission at a time.”

Death drives carefully and silently at the appropriate speeds as he guides his convoy to their new “promise land”. In his favorite dark travels, he’s calm as he could ever be.

TDG: “The company has assigned you a match, one on one with a brand new opponent. This… Cyrus Truth, the winner of the Carnal Contendership and the next FWA World Championship challenger at Back in Business.”

Death simply listens to his devious advisor as he focuses on the road, hardly blinking at all.

TDG: “Sounds interesting enough? I mean you may have come up short at The Carnal Contendership but you get a shot at the guy who wants to be the new world champion. Damn nearly evenly matched in size, age and fighting styles… a crowd favorite but a bit of a smug son of a gun. So not your typical babyface, I think you remember your days of catering to the masses… and now look at you, you’d rather corrupt the world instead these days. Engulf this already terrible humanity in darkness and tyranny. With all of us creating disturbances, we can finally mold this world into a TRUE… REALITY OF TRAGEDY! And a man living by “truth” won't be able to slow down the sludge upon the lost souls. Because that's where our work comes into play as we set up stronger foundations. I know you can sense the potential dark souls surrounding us, my Soul Collector.”

Death Walker does one of his infamous growls as he enjoys when The Dark Guardian gets riled up with dark thoughts.

TDG: “And as far as building new homes goes, it's almost time for us to make one in FWA. No rush, just reminding you of the objectives we have lined up for picture perfect darkness. So this fixation with ruining Randall and XYZ… are you sure it's worth addressing at Meltdown XXX?

Walker then sarcastically looks over at his mentor with a tilted expression as if to say, “are you kidding me?”. But goes back to watching the dark (almost lightless) roads in front of them.

TDG: “Okay, okay, I’m just saying that you're still taking a risky chance that I don't see working out in our favor. Neither Jason Randall or XYZ can be trusted as much as you can't. They’ll probably end up teaming up against you and we cannot have that happen at any cost. You have your spot for The Golden Opportunity coming up soon enough and nothing on the docket for Back in Business yet.”

It gets silent for a brief moment then The Dark Guardian goes back to talking as usual.

TDG: “But one thing is for certain, right now with The California Criminal Council overseeing the neighborhoods of Los Angeles and under the assumption that they are controlling us… we’ve got some time to wreak havoc these next few weeks. We’ll sit back and watch what becomes of this match of your newly sworn enemies and later that night… we will find out if the truth is dark enough to overcome our reality.”

Death Walker cranks up the song that mysteriously plays on his loud sound system and goes lead foot on the accelerator. And they go speeding down the open lanes on the seemingly empty freeway… as their other trucks keep up behind them in a V formation like birds that migrate.

Last edited:

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
“Who the fuck gives a shit about Reagan Cole in 2023? Fallout 30 gonna have crickets in that main event lol!”​
“Reagan strikes me as that guy they love to keep on payroll just cause he takes what's given and doesn't ask for much else. He gets his check every two weeks or whatever and he keeps it moving.”​
“Reagan Cole. FWA’s worst fucking gate keeper is in the GO?? Should have put Kleio or Trixie in there.”​
“Bag holder getting another main event? XD Reagans trash.”​

Reagan has been surrounded by criticism his entire life. His father had never really been... well, paternal? I guess that’s the word. The instinct was never something he had possessed (a trait that was severely lacking in all members of his side of the dear family). Light that may have once burned with life in his eyes had dulled under the toil and labour of the Thatcher reign; a smile which once may have curved with the subtle grace of human kindness had grown harsh and cynical upon exposure to the nefariousness nature of people in power. Expressions- no matter how sweet or beautiful they may once have been- were as cold as the heart within and trust me it only got worse when his brother died. Reagan doesn’t remember being shown any love or real affection by his father despite him being the guy’s only child. Only shouts of criticism. Stuff a child should never hear, actions a child should never see or be apart of but he has no choice. He just has the screaming voice telling him to be better.
“I watched Reagan Cole for the first time at Carnal Contendership and he was lowkey cringe to watch, I’ll be livid if he ends up beating Peacock for the world title.”​
“I’ll agree on Cole, mid on the mic and let’s be real, he isn’t as great in the ring as people think. He can do all the moves but he lacks psychology and storytelling within his in ring ability.”​
“How can anyone still think Reagan is a good wrestler? He was alright for a while when she started, but he’s been like this for years now. Sloppy and slow and got to be one of the most overrated wrestlers in history. ”​

Then when he couldn’t get better, he ran. Still remembers the pain in his feet as they pounded against the sidewalk as he ran, the brutal winds tearing at their jacket. His lungs burning with exertion, all that just to get to…nowhere really. But the criticism stayed with Reagan, whether it was his own head chastising him about how this was a terrible idea and that he was gonna die out here. Or just the bellends walking past, yelling cusses out at him, letting their own issues out in their anger. Don’t know if the worse were the suits with their disgust, knowing that they were in a better position that Reagan ever would be or the fellow kids that looked so hopeful and eager to help only to get their eyes covered and turned away like Reagan Cole was roadkill with his guts hanging out in front of him.
“Reagan sucks lol”​
“Jeffry Mason has so much potential and he’s being dragged by this fucking idiots? Really? That’s the best use?”​
“I just saw a sign that said they were a Cole-Miner. Never been more embarrassed for someone.”​

The Gibson Gym was obviously more accepting, Criticism became less with hatred and disdain, more with encouragement and pity….see that’s the thing about being one of the young ones in a gym. Yeah Reagan loved it, of course he did. But it takes a while to catch up, let’s just say. People almost take it easy on you because of that pity, Roy never liked that. Gave them an earful everytime. So what you’re left is with having to adapt so quickly, push your body so hard so fast that it really fucking hurts when you took your next loss. But it’s okay. Because you get back up and you learn. Every match you learn from the opponent and you learn a strategy and that fails so you try another one. People try to give ya tricks but they only go so far because those tricks only suit those people and not you. But eventually you find that rhythm and you fight the right guys and eventually you do start winning and you start winning a lot and the doubt and the criticism starts to go down and it’s replaced with something you’ve never expected, praise and celebration. People start bringing their all against you and still ain’t enough. You’re happy. So happy in fact that you try out a new hobby to really showcase your ability. Wrestling.
“Cole on my screen again? Ew.”​
“He already dragged Aka down, Trixie? FFS.”​
“Jeffry should kill off Sarah at this point, better than this sad pack of shit.”​

The scenery finally lights up as we finally see our protagonist, well the back of him. He’s surrounded by nothing but different shades of white and grey. Cabinets and even more cabinets stand proudly attached to the wall as multiple household tools hang down below. Reagan just sits in a chair watching. The chair reminds Reagan of the stereotypical director's chair but he assumes the ones used on movie sets are more comfortable than this but what chair did he expect in a garage of all places? Hell the garage owned by Jeffry Mason of all people? Doesn’t matter. What matters is what Reagan is watching on the old grey plasma television that has just a layer of dust resting lightly on top.

Straight away you can point out the obvious. It’s a wrestling match, a tag match to make it more obvious. A extremely young wrestler is shown being legitimately thrown about against his will, the guy gets up and tries to amount some offense but he is struggling before getting a lucky dropkick! The crowd comes alive as the man opposite the wrestler crumbles momentarily as the wrestler desperately tries to tag his partner but…

Reagan: “And here comes Bryant.”

He stops himself when he sees his tag partner being dragged off the apron! Bryant as Reagan calls it, drags the person off before connecting with a massive superkick to the head!

Reagan: “Yup. Realization…Eduardo.”

And again as predicted the wrestler looks on with a look of clear shock fills the face of the young wrestler and it’s only with the zoom in we finally notice the face we’ve been following is the face of an extremely young Reagan Cole as he suddenly gets lifted off his feet by the named Eduardo! Bryant jumps up onto the apron where Reagan’s teammate once was and just like magic jumping off the top rope to connect Reagan with a clothesline as Eduardo slams Reagan down for a clothesline/spinebuster combo! At the almost exact time the watching experience is interrupted by the noise of metal clashing together like thunder! Reagan’s head whips around to see….TYLER.

TYLER: “Fuck! God fucking dammit it got my toe!”

The expressive outburst is enough to throw Reagan off guard before TYLER meets Reagan’s eyeline.

TYLER: “What?”

Reagan: “Nothing.”

TYLER rolls his eyes as he finally manages to grab two spanners and is on his way out when he gets distracted by the television. At this point the 3 count has been counted and the opponents Bryant & Eduardo are on the outside celebrating their win. It cuts back to young Reagan in obvious pain, holding his lower back as Reagan’s tag partner for the match comes to check if Reagan is okay.

TYLER: “Who the fucks that?”

Reagan takes notice of TYLER’s interest and looks at him for a second as TYLER’s face does have a sense of recognition to the situation but it’s almost too lost in a fog like state to really connect properly so Reagan continues.

Reagan: “Edward Coleman.”

There’s a slight flinch to Reagan as Reagan says that name with almost slight venom to it. He watches intently despite there now being a sudden hit of nausea in his system as he sees Reagan brush Edward off and roll out the ring.

Reagan: “Don’t do it. Please….don’t do it.”

TYLER: “What are you about to do?”

The camera switches focus to just Edward Coleman in the ring, gesturing and thanking the fans for coming.

And that’s when the first hit happens.

TYLER: “HOLY SHIT!”

Second strike.

Third strike.

All happen swiftly after each other, fourth, fifth and sixth follow pursuit.

TYLER: “Dude! You just keep going.”

Reagan feels like he is ten feet underwater and TYLER was trying to speak to him from the surface. He can’t feel his limbs, the nausea getting worse, as was the spinning. But his eyes keep focused on the image, forcing Reagan to keep going as the seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh and finally twelfth hits all to the spine. And all that is left standing in the middle of the ring is a young Reagan Cole being swarmed by doctors, officials, producers, authority figures all trying to get attention to Edward Coleman as Reagan Cole just raises his now blood soaked steel baseball bat to the sky.

TYLER: “Well shit.”

The video ends with that scenery as Reagan just stares blankly forward feeling the ramifications of what he’s just witnessed.

TYLER: “So that’s the real you, huh?”

Reagan: “No. no it isn’t. That’s a kid who didn’t know what to do.”

TYLER: “Yet he found out didn’t he? God damn, now I get why Jeffry wanted you in here.”

Reagan: “Stop.”

TYLER: “Or what? you’re gonna hit me with the bat as well?”

Reagan glares directly at TYLER with eyes of fiery brimstone but TYLER has nothing but a smirk. He knows Reagan isn’t gonna hurt him. And he’s right, Reagan just buries himself in his hands out of frustration.

TYLER: “So…why did you do it?”

Reagan: “…..Frustration mostly. Anger.”

TYLER: “Uh huh. Explain.”

There’s a small sigh that comes from Reagan as he desperately comes up with a way to get out of this but he can’t. Plus it’s not like he hasn’t told British Kid once before only…this isn’t British Kid right now.

Reagan: “Frustration over a certain losing streak I was having at the time.”

TYLER: “…That was real young though.”

Reagan: “Yup my first year in.”

TYLER: “huh….wait fucking hell. Ugh. I’m guessing there’s similarities between that one and you’re on currently?”

Reagan: “Hmmm.”

TYLER: “So that’s why you’re watching it? To remind yourself to not go to that place?”

Reagan reluctantly and slowly nods.

TYLER: “That’s fucking dumb and I don’t think I believe it to be honest with ya.”

Reagan glares over one more time but before he can say anything, TYLER stops him.

TYLER: “Hear me out. I don’t think someone willingly punishes themselves just because of a losing streak, shit happens, it’s wrestling. But what does that losing streak bring? Well back then probably would be something stupid like you don’t let the people who believed in you down? But here’s the thing, we actually don’t give a fuck because you’ve already let everyone in your life down so many times including me that we’re used to it so tell me buddy. What are you frustrated about now?”

Reagan stays silent.

TYLER: “Oh now we staying silent? After all this time of you trying to get my attention, now you be silent, of cour-“

Reagan can’t take it anymore, he jumps out of the seat and punches TYLER straight into the jaw!

Reagan: “I’m frustrated with everyone okay?! Is this what you want!? I’m annoyed with you because you got us into this fucking mess! If you just stayed back like I asked, you wouldn’t be here acting like Jeffrys fucking puppet who can’t even climb a fucking ladder properly, I’m annoyed that FWA has decided that instead of doing anything, they’ve just decided to put me in matches week in week out weirdly designed just to remind me of the people I fucking failed! But hey wouldn’t be the first time they stopped caring, Gabrielle’s getting a Hall of Fame induction and what the fuck did they do for her when she was at her lowest huh? Still nothing. Every fucking week, WHY AM I IN A DEATHMATCH WITH TRIXIE? You wanna tell me that? I haven’t fully recovered from the deathmatch tournament and here we go again! Didn’t kill me with the explosion but might as well try again! Oh God….And despite all that, fucking assholes still come at me with bullshit all over the Internet because I’m not their favourites. Nah fuck this, I’m tired. I’m tired of having to feel sorry for myself. Im tired of being used just because I have been holding myself accountable for years. If FWA wants to cash in my guilt…may-maybe you have a point. Maybe it’s about time I stop apologizing for what’s in the past and I start apologizing for what’s gonna happen in the future.”

TYLER holds his cheeks in pain but there’s also a shit eating grin there.

TYLER: “Now that’s more like it.”

Night falls behind them like a safety curtain in a theatre: thick, heavy and sometimes just the start of something very sinister.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig and WelshyBOI

SupineSnake

FREE PALESTINE
Reaction score
Secret promo #1.

Flight_of_the_Peacock_2.jpg

Flight_of_peacock_2_loading_screen_promo_2_onwards.jpg

FOP2_Level_Three.jpg

The throne room was entirely obliterated due to the protrusion of Octillian the Dread from underneath it and Christopher watched, sword drawn, as the ground broke beneath the corpse of Johan Sommer and the deceased tyrant’s body fell into the depths below. There was no doubt in Christopher’s mind that Sommer’s soul arrived in hell as soon as he drew his final breath after Christopher slayed him.

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 90%

As he looked at Octillian, Christopher thought to himself that this was as good an opportunity as ever to ensure that his mortal foe joined Sommer and he could take as many of his underlings with him as he could.

Octillian cackled with joy as his charges swarmed upon Christopher’s position and Christopher awaited them with his golden sword drawn. Christopher first struck down the twins, one red of fire and the other blue of ice and then drove his sword through the chest of the group’s navigator who did not seem to actually want to fight Christopher. Despite his neutrality, his mere presence meant that he was fair game.

Christopher continued to swing his sword at all manner of beings under Octillian’s influence; no matter how many times he had waged war with this group they always found a way back into his sights. Even after Christopher defeated The Bandit Queen, who had been backed by this collective, he was not free of them. He would never be free of them. The pawns all fell to Christopher, and with a bit of breathing room and many clones of the same man piled at his feet, deceased, Christopher called up to Octillian.

“OCTILLIAN! How many times must we do this? These pawns mean nothing to me. I know what we are building up to so why wait? It is high time that I end this once and for all!”

Despite their allies being slaughtered in copious amounts, Octillian and what remained of his forces began laughing heartily. The sound of the laughter caused Christopher great pain, with a shooting sensation firing through his upper chest and left shoulder. He opened his shirt and looked at the scar across this area, obtained in a battle with Octillian the Dread almost two years prior. He winced as he waited for the laughter to stop. “I will kill every last one of you if that is what it takes!”

“Oh, that’s enough, Christopher. You’re taking all of the fun out of this for me. How predictable are you? Does the fact that a lot of people say this about you not make you want to change things up a bit? You bite off more than you can chew, get humbled, build your confidence back up and then you repeat the same cycle over and over again.

I already know that is what has happened here; Daniel the Great made the great champion look bad and you had to go after Johan Sommer to make yourself feel better about yourself. Please, stop me if I am not making sense.”
Octillian put a couple of his tentacles in front of him and held them up in a ‘backing away’ gesture.

“If you know all of this, why are you here, Octillian? What brings you to my door once again?” Christopher asked, full of determination as he felt the grip of his hand on his blade tighten.

Octillian laughed once more and Christopher felt another shooting pain in his scar. “This is not about me, Christopher of Lynbrook. Others have failed in the past by enforcing too much focus on myself. No, this is about them!”

Motioning with one of his tentacles behind Christopher, Octillian caused Fantasia’s champion to turn around and there he saw her. The Bandit Queen. Despite his recent triumph over her, the sight of her caused all of the worries and anxiety that had dominated his preparation for the infamous battle between the two of them and The Watcher, had returned.

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 8%

Defeating The Bandit Queen once was an impressive feat in itself; however conquering over her twice was almost unheard of. Christopher slowly raised his sword, despite how intimidated he felt. Regardless of how small the odds were, he was going to fight and never back down from anyone. Being the champion meant that he would have to be ready for all comers, and if he was going to die, it was going to be on his terms.

Surprisingly, The Bandit Queen did not go in for the kill on Christopher, who had just been through two very arduous fights against ninety-nine versions of Johan Sommer and then Octillian’s forces. Christopher stared at her closely, trying to read her, but his eyes were drawn to her own golden accessory. Her necklace. It was an interesting piece, being half of an eight-tentacled beast, like Octillian.

It was at this moment that Christopher recalled Octillian’s precise wording.

“Them?”

Christopher turned around and then felt a feeling like he had not before as the knife was driven into his chest, straight into his heart. His eyes widened and then they tracked from the blade in his chest to the hand holding it and up the arm and eventually to the face of his attacker. The Bandit Queen was a strong adversary at the best of times, but she was even stronger when she was with her partner.

“I didn’t want it to end this way, Christopher.” There was almost a hint of regret in the voice of The Bandit Prince, but he then dug the dagger in further and twisted it for good measure. “This had to be done, though.”

Christopher found himself choking slightly as blood rushed upwards into his throat and he sputtered some out and saw as some of his blood landed on The Bandit Prince’s golden necklace; the other half of the one worn by his partner. Christopher feebly reached out in front of him with his free hand but clawed at nothing but air before dropping down to his knees and then falling flat on his face. He knew that he was dying.

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 0%

The last moments in the realm of the living of Christopher of Lynbrook were spent listening to the triumphant cheers of his mortal enemies. The group that he had fought so many times and in the back of his mind knew would bring an end to him one day because of how ferociously he would pursue them. That day had finally arrived. He drew his final breath - a death rattle - and then succumbed to the wound to his heart.

Octillian and his army rejoiced. After endless skirmishes and battles against Christopher and his own allies, they had won. Most gathered around The Bandit Prince, who looked conflicted about his role in Christopher’s death, but The Bandit Queen was primarily focused on the sword in Christopher’s hand. She slowly walked over to his corpse and prised his hand from the hilt and attempted to pick it up but as soon as her skin made contact with it the sword turned white hot and scalded her immediately.

She gasped and examined the burn on her hand and then furrowed her brow; she knew that she did not deserve to hold the sword that was bound to the champion of Fantasia. The Bandit Queen pondered for a moment whether her partner would, but she instead opted to leave this thought where it lay and joined the rest of her allies. Octillian lead the group away after they decided to simply leave Christopher’s body where it lay. One final show of disrespect towards him to not even afford him a true burial.

Just as Octillian had departed, another lifeform entered what was left of the throne room. Apri was horrified by the sheer number of corpses around the room. As he flew around his worst fear was confirmed when he saw Christopher among the dead. “CHRISTOPHER! NO!”

Whilst trapped in the body of a small blue tit, Apri knew that he could do nothing about this situation, but there was one that he knew that may be able to help. One that would care enough about Christopher to help in this situation and also possess the powers required to make all of this right.

Dark storm clouds rumbled in the sky above the Black Tower, as they always did, regardless of the time of day. A lightning bolt struck one of the few remaining pieces of shrubbery in the courtyard of the tower, disintegrating it immediately. This flash of light momentarily caught the eye of the sole occupant of the Black Tower, the newly-recluse necromancer Alyster Black.

Alyster chose not to bear much mind to the weather or the destruction of his garden by the weather despite not having anything better to do. He shuffled around the tower most days doing nothing in particular as the contents of his laboratory at the top of the Black Tower collected dust as well as water. He did not feel the need to fix the leak in the ceiling which allowed rain to enter in various places.

The reasoning for this inaction was because of the outcomes of his last few experiments. Each had resulted in failure. Despite all of the success that Alyster had experienced in Fantasia, as well regarded as he was by those who knew his name, it was these failures that he had allowed himself to become defined by. They had made him bitter. They had made him push away those that would otherwise believe in him and as a result he decided that it was for the best that he shielded himself from the public eye in Fantasia as much as he could.

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 1%

Despite everything that the world could offer him, Alyster was content to leave it all behind, ostensibly. What he desired was to be the person recognised as the greatest champion in all of the land. However, that title was currently held by the man he would consider his closest friend in the entire world and despite his own desires for that recognition, Alyster could not bring himself to change that situation. Of course he was capable of being the one to take down Christopher of Lynbrook, Christopher himself knew this. Alyster suspected that Christopher even feared that happening if the necromancer obtained a golden opportunity to usurp him from his position.

So, with any attempts to make himself stronger faltering and being left without any way to get what he wanted, Alyster decided that he would step away. The world was not going to do him any favours, so why should he it? Instead, his main quarrels were restricted to the rodents which occupied the Black Tower, with Alyster aware that if he left them to their own devices for long enough that they would surely devour him in his sleep.

This particular night would be different, though. Alyster’s solitude found itself disrupted by another daring to approach the Black Tower. This was why Alyster paid such little attention to the combustion of his bush, as he found himself more focused on the silhouette revealed in the sky as the lightning flashed. It was small, but grew in size with each lightning strike as it drew closer to the tower.

Alyster squinted to get the best view of this intruder as he possibly could through his mask and when they were close enough, Alyster noted that it was a small bird. Recognising it, he shook his head in a disappointed manner and opened a window and waited with his arms crossed against the back wall of the room until Apri reached and settled on the ledge of the window.

The bird took a moment to catch his breath, seemingly still with the stamina of the pudgy and unathletic middle-aged man that he once was before his unconsented transformation. Alyster did not want any sort of visitor, especially those that were about to vomit seeds and whatever else birds ate on his floor. “State your business, bird.”

“It’s me, Alyster. It’s Apri.”
Of course Alyster knew this, but like many others, he did not care much for Apri despite how close both were with Christopher. “I didn’t know where else to go. It’s Christopher… he’s dead.”

Just like that, Alyster felt his heart sink. His back slid down against the wall and he buried his head in his hands and an equally distraught Apri flapped down and stood on the floor next to Alyster as the necromancer sniffed and tried to stave off the incoming panic attack. “Octillian attacked, and I think it was her. She finally got him, Alyster. It was the Bandit Queen.”

That confirmation made it even worse for Alyster. He knew how fearful Christopher was of her and how he had panicked so often at the mere prospect of facing her. Christopher had confided in Alyster that it was only a matter of time before she would be back for him and it would seem to Alyster that time had come and now his friend was dead. He was truly alone in the world, and he batted Apri’s wing away after an attempt at compassion.

“Alyster, I think you know why I am here. You are the only one that can bring him back, aren’t you? I don’t know any other necromancers and you… legend says that you have evaded death’s clutches more than once yourself. You cannot allow this to be the end of him, please.”

The desperation in Apri’s voice caused the pressure inside Alyster’s head to grow to the point where he feared it would burst. He did not know if there was a way that Christopher could be saved. But he owed it to himself, and to his friend, to at least try. He composed himself as much as he could and then stood up and headed towards the staircase in the tower which would lead up to his laboratory. “I can perform an autopsy, but I’ll need to transfer his body here to do that and then… if I can figure out how she killed him, I might be able to reverse it and bring him back… I hope.”

Alyster was unsure of his own words and he paused for a moment at the door to his lab before pushing it open and grimacing at what he saw in front of him as his tools and other craftware was in no state for proper use due to the neglect. Apri fluttered down onto the back of a chair and watched as Alyster cleared the large workbench in the middle of the room and then stood next to it and cleared his throat before clearly speaking, “MORTUI ONERARIUM!”

A flash of light filled the room and when it returned back to normal, Christopher was on the stone bench and in the same position as he had been left on the floor of Johan Sommer’s throne room. Next to him was the golden sword belonging to the champion of Fantasia, a title which Alyster realised was for the taking after Christopher had fallen short. Despite this, Alyster focused on the task at hand. He flipped Christopher over and ripped his shirt open to reveal the large gash in his chest where his heart is.

“Can you fix this?” Apri asked in a concerned manner. “Can you mend his broken heart?”

Alyster looked down into Christopher’s eyes, the same eyes he had looked to in the heat of battle many times before when back to back with the odds stacked against him. Eyes that had once been full of life and offered reassurance, that now were blank and cold.

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 0.5%

“I will do everything in my power to save him.”

Immediately, Alyster turned around and began to rummage around in his cabinets and drawers for remedies and other items which he thought might be able to revive his friend. As he did so, Apri hopped up next to Christopher’s face and looked at it.

“I wonder if he’s in the afterlife yet.”

“It is not a question of ‘if’, but ‘where’?”

With a loud gasp, Christopher woke up and he immediately grabbed at his chest and expected to feel the warmth of his own blood on his hand but was confused when he did not. He sat up and looked down at his chest to see that there was no blood at all. He opened his shirt and his chest was in fact completely bereft of stab wounds altogether, but he noted that the scar he wore from his previous battles with Octillian was still intact. Christopher was unsure why he felt compelled to check his chest.

It was at this moment that Christopher opted to take in his surroundings. He was on a path in the middle of what appeared to be a meadow of some sort. Unclear which direction he needed to travel in, Christopher scanned as much of the vicinity as he could and his eyes settled on what appeared to be a fork in the road a couple of hundred metres in front of him so he decided to jog towards it and as he got closer he saw a signpost in the grass.

Before he had a chance to read it, he heard some footsteps behind him. “A funny thing, isn’t it? Death.”

Christopher was confused and he turned around to see a cloaked figure in front of him, their face entirely obscured. “Wait… I am dead?”

Desperately, Christopher checked his entire body once again and saw that there were no visible fatal injuries to be found. The cloaked figure did not offer a response to the question. “Many believe that our choices in the mortal world decide where we go once we enter the afterlife, but that is not true.”

“Please, save the crypticism for a moment… am I dead?”

As Christopher grew more impatient as to where he was and why he was there, the cloaked figure instead motioned behind Christopher to the two paths leading from the fork in the road. “Two paths leading to two destinations. The higher path takes those deserving to the enlightened lands to spend the rest of their existence in peace and tranquillity, whilst the lower descends to the fiery depths of what those alive would call ‘hell’. Which path do you believe that you deserve to walk, Christopher of Lynbrook?”

Christopher let out an exasperated sigh and then dropped to his knees. “So I’m dead. Great! I had so much more I wanted to do…”

Whilst Christopher was left to wonder about all of the things that could have been; the regrets and missed opportunities in his life, the cloaked figure cleared their throat and spoke again in a much more gruff tone, “Which path will you walk, Christopher?”

The existential crisis that Christopher was going through meant that he was not in a position to think about paths or any other choices that needed to be made, but after slowing his breathing down and wiping a tear from his eye, he stood back up and looked at the cloaked figure. “Did you say… peace?”

The cloaked figure nodded. Suddenly, Christopher felt as if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he stood up even straighter. After months and years of clawing to ascend to the top of the proverbial mountain and gain recognition as the greatest warrior in all of Fantasia and then the constant looking over his shoulder for threats once he had attained that status, peace was what he sought more than anything else in the world.

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK

For all of the decisions that he had made in his life and on his journey, all of the battles that he had chosen to take upon himself, all of the disdain he stored within himself for his enemies and the torrid vengeful streak that ran through him, he had come to realise that what he actually wanted was nothing more than a chance to rest on his laurels. Only a fool with a death wish would choose battles with the likes of Daniel the Great, Johan Sommer and The Bandit Queen, and Christopher realised that this is perhaps what he wanted all along. It was the Bandit Prince of all people that gave him it.

Whilst Apri was a constant and faithful companion, Christopher felt as if he could no longer carry the burden on his own without proper support. The support he had come to rely on in the shape of his friend, Alyster Black. Alyster had returned to the shadows and his Black Tower, seemingly never to return. Christopher realised that there was not much reason for him to lament no longer being a member of the living. History would tell stories of how he reigned as the champion of Fantasia.

After some further thought, Christopher nodded his head in affirmation and then looked at the cloaked figure with a determined look on his face. “I choose the higher path.”

“Very well. You may proceed.”
As Christopher began to walk towards the path on the left which followed a steep hill towards the sky of this realm in between realms, the figure placed a hand on his shoulder, “Remember, only those deserving will be able to successfully journey through the higher path. You will find out whether you are worthy soon enough, Christopher of Lynbrook.”

Christopher nodded, taking in the information and he then set out towards the higher path which promised peace and tranquillity. The cloaked figure watched him leave and then slowly shook his head. “Humph.”

The necromancer screamed in frustration as he tossed a bloodied instrument across his lab. His work thus far had resulted in failure and he was growing ever more frustrated as the hours passed.

Alyster wiped the blood from his hands over the smock that covered his torso before throwing his hands behind his head and exhaling sharply. He needed a moment to think. He needed to calm down, Christopher’s life was on the line.

He was running out of time. Soon Christopher’s body would begin to atrophy and rot, making any life restoring miracle even more difficult to perform. If too much time passed it would become impossible to bring Christopher back.

This prospect filled Alyster with dread. The very notion of losing a friend as valuable and close to him as Christopher was unthinkable. Not after he’d already experienced the pain of loss in regards to his former ally, the man who had been his closest confidant before Christopher. The moustachioed rogue known simply as Krash.

Alyster’s heart sank as he remembered his former ally, he and Krash were as close as two friends could possibly be. Until that fateful day where Krash had thrown his life away in the pettiest of ways imaginable. He had sacrificed himself to destroy an enemy that would threaten their empire. One that would never quit. One that no matter how many times he was defeated, would always find a way to return and wreak havoc over Alyster and Krash’s domain.

Krash sacrificed his life to protect this tower and its inhabitants. And Alyster was powerless to bring him back. It’s why he’d taken up necromancy. It was a selfish pursuit, he simply wasn’t strong enough to let go.

But time had passed and Krash was doomed, Alyster had failed utterly. Restoring his former best friend’s life was impossible.

And it was happening again.

Alyster looked over Christopher’s lifeless body as tears began to well up in his eyes. They resembled one another, especially in this state, to the point where sometimes it hurt Alyster to even look at Christopher. But their friendship was genuine, it wasn’t an attempt by Alyster to recapture something lost, it was different. He and Christopher were more alike, their goals were aligned, and they wanted nothing more than to help each other achieve their wildest dreams. Even at their own expense. At least that’s how Alyster felt.

They’d promised one another that they would sit atop the mountain together, overlooking all of Fantasia as kings. Proven to each be the best, one day knowing that in the end they would have to settle amongst themselves which of them actually was solely.

But for now, he was failing Christopher and running short on time to make good on his promise. His friend laid dead and every application of his craft had proven fruitless. Every incantation had fallen on deaf ears. Every sparkling, life-giving spell had fizzled out. The autopsy had been a bust.

Alyster had reached into the chest of his fallen comrade and touched his heart, it was cold and bereft of life, broken and more than likely unable to be saved. But this had not deterred him from trying. Alyster could still feel Christopher’s presence in this realm, the feeling was weak but it was still there. The man from Lynbrook still had a connection to this mortal plane of existence. But he was torn between this life and the one beyond. His connection was quickly slipping.

But that was hours ago. The presence of Christopher’s soul in this realm had weakened, he had almost completely crossed over to the afterlife and while it was not impossible to pluck a soul from the next world and return it to this one, it would not be possible to do so with a cadaver whose heart had been damaged in the way Christopher’s had.

“All hope is gone.” Alyster quietly whispered to himself as he’d finally resigned himself to Christopher’s fate. His friend was gone and there was nothing he could do to bring him back. It happened again. He had failed. He failed Krash, he failed Christopher, and he’d failed himself.

ALYSTER BLACK

The necromancer was snapped from his intense train of thought by the sound of yawning. Apri the bird had been resting on the windowsill and he just stirred from his slumber. “What time is it?” The bird pondered before remembering exactly where he was. “Oh! How goes the resurrection?” His wings fluttered as he leapt into the lab, landing on Alyster’s shoulder. The necromancer was quick to bat him away, sending him scuttering to a shelf high above, safe from Alyster’s wrath.

“Hey! What was that for?”

Alyster snapped, spitting vile filled words at the cursed bird. “Do not presume to use my shoulder as a perch you filthy creature.”

“Come on Alyster, we’re on the same team here.”

“No we are not. Christopher and I are on the same team, and you and he are on another.”

Apri simply shrugged, looking away from the masked necromancer sheepishly before reiterating his prior question. “I take it that things aren’t going well with the resurrection then.”

Alyster sighed, “No, they’re not.”

The necromancer clenched his fists and teeth. He had only ever felt as powerless as he did now when he had attempted to bring back Krash and failed. This endeavour was proving to be as impossible and experience had taught Alyster that hope was pointless.

“Are you sure there isn’t anything I can do to help?”

“You can cease your thoughtless prattling and say your final goodbyes to Christopher whilst his soul is still close enough to this realm to hear them.”

Apri shrieked, it was to be expected from a creature as extravagant and boisterous as him, but this shriek was terrifying. Filled with pain, the pain of loss. Apri was a victim of loss, feeling the same pain that Alyster was right now. But powerless to do anything to change his fate, while Alyster wasn’t so powerless, and so Apri begged the masked man to continue trying.

“No, please Alyster there has to be something more that you can do! Anything please. Use whatever resource you need, take whatever you need. Ta-take my life and give it to Christopher! Just don’t give up, keep trying.”

Alyster was filled with shame. He had judged the bird too harshly. That Apri would make such a selfless request. To take his life and use it to restore Chrstopher’s? The necromancer had never considered Apri as anything more than a parasite sucking on Christopher’s blood. But this detestable man had never left Christopher’s side. He was there for him at all times, through the highs and the lows. In the heat of battle and during celebrations. Who was Alyster Black to judge Apri?

Alyster Black was a necromancer, his business was death and his goal was to conquer it.

“Apri!” Alyster called to the sobbing bird. “Apri stop crying. I’ll keep trying, and you can rest easy, your life will not have to be sacrificed.”

Alyster didn’t have the heart to tell Apri that his lifeforce wasn’t strong enough to sustain Christopher, or that further attempts to save him were only token. But he would continue to try, there was no harm in that.

Christopher looked back in the direction that he had walked from, further down the slope and noticed that the beginning of the path where he encountered the cloaked figure was no longer visible and likely had not been for some time. He was unsure how long he had been walking the higher path towards his ultimate resting place and state. The walk had been tough and taxing, but he believed it to be worth it. “It makes sense, one final challenge for the ultimate reward. It shouldn’t be easy, it would be wrong if it was. Never… take the easy way out, Christopher. You never have…”

His thoughts trailed off as he realised perhaps opting for the afterlife of bliss that was promised to him for walking this path could be considered an easy choice, but given it was the last decision that he would ever have to make he decided that he could afford to do it just this once. After challenging himself constantly and making things much harder than they needed to be for his entire life, he was owed one. One easy choice. It did not seem too unreasonable to him.

The further up the path he walked, the heavier the air felt and this made it harder for him to walk at times as the terrain also became more hazardous, too. The path had devolved from paved bricks to scattered stones and then into nothing more than a ledge alongside a steep incline which seemed impossible to scale without any equipment. Christopher kept his back firmly against the cliff behind him and then caught a look down below and saw nothing but mist and what looked to be a bottomless pit underneath him. He could not afford to fall.

Slowly sidestepping across the ledge, Christopher followed it around a corner where he saw that it stopped against the walled side of the cliff. He looked around but saw that there was no way to traverse the gap between this and the opposite-facing ledge that appeared to lead to a much nicer-looking path which led into a cloud. “That has to be the end.”

There was no chance that Christopher was going to turn back, so he knew that he had to jump. The gap appeared to be no more than six feet, something which he was confident he could manage. Christopher took a deep breath and then jumped, but he quickly realised that the pressure in the air made it harder for him to go as far as he would normally expect to. The weight caused him to fall quicker than he thought he was going to…

He did not make the jump, but instead managed to get one hand on the ledge he was initially aiming to get both feet on. He looked down and could not see what was pulling him down and away from his goal…

Christopher began to feel frustrated, and this frustration quickly evolved into anger which surged through his body and made him feel like his head was going to explode. He was frustrated and angry that he could not get his hands on what he desired most and he was not in control of it… he was angrier that he was here in the first place.

Friendship. Family. Love. These are what Christopher fought for when he was alive, what really mattered to him and what made him want to be the best version of himself. Hanging from his ledge, it angered him that it was not enough. The road to hell was paved in good intentions and for all of those good intentions, Christopher failed to truly follow through on them. What benefit was it to his friends and family to follow grudges and become motivated by hatred and fear?

Christopher truly despised Octillian and all of his followers with every fibre of his being. He had even fought someone to the death once over who hated them more. It sickened him that it was one of them that had finally got him and that it was The Bandit Prince of all people to do it. For so long, many had written The Bandit Prince off as nothing more than an underling to The Bandit Queen, but what they had all failed to realise was that whilst his primary success had come alongside her, he was formidable in his own right. Add in the connection he shared with The Bandit Queen and her own skill set - the very same skill set that caused Christopher to descend into a quivering mess whenever he thought about facing her - they were unstoppable together.

Christopher realised that he was a fool for trying to take on Octillian’s army on his own. It had never worked in his favour before and he realised that Octillian was right about him. He had been hoisted by his own petard and bitten off more than he could chew under the high of victory. It was the anger and hatred he held within him which caused him to take on such a futile fight and it was these same feelings preventing him from completing the higher path. How he had chosen to live his life whilst living was preventing him from getting what he truly wanted.

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK

Christopher let go of the ledge and closed his eyes. After a few seconds he landed on the ground with a thud, but did not feel any pain despite falling from such a great height. He sat up and opened his eyes once more and saw that he was back at the fork in the road, and the cloaked figure was also seated underneath the sign.

“Through deduction, you must now know which path you are truly destined to walk, Christopher of Lynbrook. Now, take the lower path to your true final destination…”

Without saying a word, Christopher stood up and staunchly accepted his fate. His true prize for allowing himself to be motivated by incorrect emotions.

Alyster’s further efforts were failing. Previously he had tried every conventional method he could to save Christopher. This time he had tried every other method. Deals with demons, wishes made to djinns, even harnessing the power of lightning from the skies above. He’d even toyed with the prospect of bringing Christopher back as a zombie. But none of these methods had succeeded.

Apri had been kicked out of the tower and told to nest elsewhere. His presence had become too distracting. The tipping point being an incident where Apri was questioning all of Alyster’s actions, resulting in the necromancer throwing a beaker full of acid at the bird.

A kick out of frustration shook the table that Christopher’s body laid on and the swearing that followed suggested that Alyster had hurt his foot. The masked man hopped toward an adjacent brick wall and slunk down, sitting and staring up at the table.

“You bastard.” Alyster hissed under his breath. “You absolute bastard. You made me begin to care again.”

Alyster shook his head, shaking away a few errant tears. “You made me open my heart to people again. You made me feel the warmth of friendship. Only to take it all away. I’ll never forgive you for this Christopher. I’ll never forgive you for dying on me. How dare you.”

“You knew how hurt I was when I lost Krash. You assured me that the same fate wouldn’t befall you. And I was stupid enough to believe you. I was stupid enough to ignore the realities of this cruel world and I opened my heart again.”

The necromancer slowly rose to his feet, he hobbled over to the table and stood over his fallen comrade. “Look at you. You’re dead, and there’s nothing I can do to bring you back. Just like Krash. And what did you die for? A silly vendetta, this never-ending feud with that band of miscreants, nitwits, and psychopaths. You were finally fallen by the Bandit Queen and her lackeys. Just as you always feared. But at least you went out on top, you get to die holding that golden sword. You get to die before I had a chance to take it from you.”

Alyster reaches toward the sword, touching the hilt, feeling it beginning to burn his hand. Not everyone can carry the sword, only those who prove themselves. Such is its nature. “This was mine too, once upon a time. And now I am not worthy of holding it. The Golden One stole it from me and you defeated him before I was given a chance to. You ended him, you saved us all from the pestilence that was his reign.”

Finally Alyster recoiled, pulling his palm off of the sword. His hand was bright red, warm and slightly burnt. A wound that would heal quickly. “Just look at you now, you were convinced that you were the best, that you were capable of cheating death. Well the truth is that no one does. Not Krash, not Golden, not you.”

“Well…that’s not entirely true. One of us standing in this room has cheated death countless times. But that is not an ability I can share.”

His fist clenched as he lamented the fact. Alyster had been mortally wounded many times before. He’d fallen in great battles but was gifted, or rather cursed, with ever-lasting life. The fruits of his own efforts to save his fallen best friend Krash. This power was a living nightmare for a man who wished to die honourably in battle. This in part is what led to his disappearance and solitary lifestyle of late.

Alyster gumbled and returned to his study, leaving Christopher’s cadaver alone momentarily. He slumped down at his desk and slammed his head on the table. His hands spread across the length of the desk, grabbing it by either side as his head slowly rose. “Would that this desk were a time desk, so that I could correct my past mistakes.”

His fingers clutched the wood, turning white in the process as images of the night when Krash sacrificed his life flashed through his mind. As countless days were spent attempting to bring him back. So much time gone, so much time wasted, so much pain and suffering. A loss too tremendous for any person to withstand, so powerful that Alyster was driven to reverse it at all costs, even at the most personal of costs.

He’d have given anything to bring Krash back, and he would give the same to bring back Christopher.

“Alyster?”

That blasted bird had returned and was calling for him from the other room.

“Damn you bird, must you continue to squawk relentlessly. Have I not earned a monicrom of peace?”

Silence. The bird did not respond.

Alyster sprung to his feet and stomped back to the laboratory. The bird was nowhere to be seen.

“Come on, you’re not going to give up are you?”
It was not the voice of the bird calling to him. It was the dead body laid out before him.

“You’re dead, please remain silent. I’ve lost too much today, I’d prefer not to lose my mind too.”

“Yeah, I understand. I’ve lost everything as well.”

Alyster grumbled. He looked over at his friend, reaching out and touching his cheek, staring into those cold, dead brown eyes. Christopher didn’t move but the voice still echoed.

“So that’s it then? All hope is truly lost?”

“I’m afraid so. There’s nothing else I can do.”

“I understand. I’m sure you did everything you could. Thank you.”

Alyster’s eyes trailed over Christopher’s body, taking in the sight of the battle scars, focusing on the large one left in the wake of his most famous battle with Octillian. Alyster Black had a similar scar on his chest left behind by a deranged foe much like Octillian.

“Damn it!”

He and Christopher were so alike. Both hardened warriors, both victims of brutality. But they shared more than that. They shared a sense of humour, and a sense of belonging. They were peers, on each other’s level. Sharing an understanding that no one else except for warriors of their nature were capable of.

Christopher had spent hours helping Alyster achieve his goals, and Alyster in turn had invested hours into Christopher’s crusade. He wasn’t ready to let go. He needed this friendship. He needed to see this partnership through to the bitter end.

Alyster Black and Christopher of Lynbrook were fated to be together.

As brothers-in-arms.

As friends.

As a team.

Life wasn’t worth living with the loss of a friend, and so acting on a wild theory Alyster went to work on his final gambit.

ALYSTER BLACK

The clouds above the tower darkened. Torrential rain began to fall, followed by the sound of thunder. Apri was caught in the storm, but shelter within the tower was reachable. In a desperate flutter he flew to the windowsill of the lab and watched in horror as Alyster Black stood on the table above Christopher. His palms carved open, blood pouring down over his fallen friend, chanting an incantation that Apri couldn’t even begin to decipher.

The storm outside began to worsen, lightning struck the grounds below. The tower shook from the force. Apri squealed in fear. “Alyster!” He called out. “What are you doing?”

His cries fell on deaf ears. Alyster continued to chant as if he was possessed. Lightning struck the tower, hitting the tip of the spire. Energy was collected and the lightning bolt directed down into the laboratory where it struck Alyster and the cadaver.

Apri was blinded by the light, his hearing deafened by the ringing sound of tinnitus. Slowly but surely he began to recover, his vision returning as well as his hearing. Alyster Black laid down on the hard cobblestone floor, staring up at the ceiling, lifeless. Christopher laid down on the table, also without life.

The bird flew down from his perch to the table and checked on Christopher. He was still as he had left him. Apri then peaked down from the edge of the table at Alyster, who stared at the ceiling, his eyes glazed over and cloudy, dead.

“Oh no…” Apri began to wallow. “What have you done you masked fool?”

Alyster’s body stirred, he coughed and Apri shrieked in horror. Startled, the bird flew backwards as Alyster Black sat up. “I’m mortal.” The necromancer spoke with a hoarse voice. “I wasn’t sure that would work but I know it did. I’m mortal.” He held his still bleeding hands up to the light, examining them for a brief moment, feeling the pain and dizziness of blood loss before quickly wrapping them up tightly.

“You…you weren’t mortal?”

“I wasn’t entirely immortal, but I had the ability to cheat death. Now it’s gone.”

“Did you give that power to Christopher?”

“It wasn’t an ability that could be transferred, but it was something just powerful enough to seal Christopher from death’s embrace. I hope.”

As the seconds passed by Alyster’s hopefulness began to dwindle.

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 80% and falling

The cloaked figure stood up and watched as Christopher took the lower path towards eternal damnation as a price paid for his choices whilst occupying the land of the living. He pulled back his hood and revealed himself to be none other than The Watcher.

“His spirit has been broken again. However, this will not be the same as the times which have come before. This time he cannot possibly hope to rebound back to a position of moral assuredness as he has no place else to go. The path he has been forced to take does not end, regardless of how long he walks it.

Christopher of Lynbrook will never know death until I choose to deal it to him. His only true path; the only one which will give him some sort of advancement is the one which brings him back to me. Where I will not fail again.”

The exiled Watcher afforded himself a small smile, seemingly knowing this intermediary realm well and understanding its mechanisms. He took a seat on the ground once more, cross-legged, and simply waited. In comparison to how long he had waited to get to this point, to finally have Christopher where he wanted him, however long it would take Christopher to realise his true fate was nothing.

“AARGH! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?”

The Watcher’s brief moment of peace was swiftly interrupted by Christopher’s shouting from not too far down the lower path to ‘hell’. He quickly rose to his feet and ran in the direction that Christopher had disappeared to and saw the champion of Fantasia lying on the floor, clutching his chest.

“AH! AHHHH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!”

As Christopher screamed, a beam of light shot out from his upper chest, right next to his shoulder and the brightness caused The Watcher to recoil and left him unable to watch what was happening. After several seconds, the light disappeared and the screaming had stopped. The Watcher rubbed his eyes and then looked on the ground to see that Christopher was no longer there. Desperately, he searched the immediate vicinity but found no trace of Christopher, and he shut his eyes closed in anger.

“One way or another, your path leads to me, Christopher of Lynbrook. It is only a matter of time.”

“Is something supposed to happen?”

Alyster ignored Apri’s question and instead maintained his focus on Christopher’s face. He did not want to accept that he had now tried everything he could. Even if he wanted to try something else, he felt physically unable to after performing such a draining ritual. With his new fully mortal form, he was not even sure if he could repeat most of the methods he had tried before without losing his own life.

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 1%

“I don’t know. I… I… I wasn’t good enough. I couldn’t save him.” Defeated, Alyster dropped down to his knees next to the bench and put his bandaged hand over Christopher’s chest. His fingertips encroached slightly on the scar which ran across Christopher’s chest and unbeknownst to Alyster, a faint glow appeared from Christopher’s chest as he did so.

It was noticed by Apri. “Alyster!”

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 5%

The excited squawking from Apri caused Alyster to pay closer attention to what he was doing and he pressed his hand down on the scar again, and this caused the light to become stronger from within Christopher’s sewn together chest.
ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 50%

“Keep doing it!”

Alyster roared as he pushed down on Christopher’s chest with full force, and he noticed his own chest glowing as he did so. Soon, the light from both of their chests became too bright for anyone to withstand, even Alyster through his mask.

Lightning lashed down on the illuminated Black Tower once more, causing such a surge of energy that the cracks in the ceiling of the laboratory caused the roof to cave in. Apri swooped out of danger through the open window but Alyster refused to leave Christopher’s side as he willed his friend to return to him once more.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!”

The rubble which had fallen around Alyster and Christopher was fired from the top of the tower and landed in the courtyard below away from them. Alyster had exerted all of his energy after hours of trying to revive his friend. He could not hold on any longer and he slumped next to Christopher on the bench and looked up at the dark clouds above his head and being truly spent, realised that he was about to be reunited with Christopher after all, albeit not in this realm…

Alyster Black, the necromancer who had cheated death countless times, was finally ready to accept his own fate. He was content that he had given his life trying to save the person he held closest to him…

With his final moments, Alyster reached up and pulled his mask off of his face. He did not want to hide anymore. He allowed himself to smile at the end.

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 99%

“Don’t you even think about dying on me.”

Alyster willed himself to turn his head to the right and he saw Christopher looking back at him, with his eyes half open. Together, the two weary and beaten brothers-in-arms started to laugh weakly. Even in such dire circumstances, they were able to enjoy a joke. Christopher pulled himself up and helped Alyster sit up too. “I have so many questions, Alyster.”

“You don’t need to question it, Christopher… just be as happy as I am that it happened. You’re back. That’s all that matters to me.”

ALYSTER BLACK
OPTIMISM LEVEL: 100%

Alyster found his eyes welling up and he pulled himself closer to Christopher and gave him a tight hug. “Don’t ever do anything like that to me again. I’ll kill you myself if you do.”

“There’s no danger of that, friend.”
Christopher said as he hugged Alyster back. “I’m beginning to think that you had the right idea with this stepping back phase you had going on.

I was chasing things I didn’t need to, for reasons that I shouldn’t have used. All of this with Octillian and the others could have just been avoided if I decided to be the bigger person. I don’t need to carry that hate around with me anymore. It holds me back, Alyster. I was so scared of The Bandit Queen because of how much I hate them; being defeated by her would be so much worse than losing to anyone else because she is one of them.”

Alyster shook his head. “Well, that’s why we’ve got to take her down, Christopher. To give you nothing to be afraid of anymore, especially after she killed you… and then we take down Octillian once and for all-”

“It wasn’t her that killed me, Alyster. It was The Bandit Prince.”

Him?

“He’s stronger than we give him credit for, Alyster. When he’s with her, it is like he is someone else. Those necklaces they have… that connection between them. It makes them both stronger. I couldn’t beat them…”

“You want to talk about a connection, Christopher? You think that I’d have gone through everything I did to bring you back for anyone else?

I didn’t bring Krash back… I barely tried. You’re different, Christopher. I don’t feel like you’re the one that everyone looks to as ‘the better one’ when they look at us. They don’t say that about me, either. We’re equals. We’re a partnership. No matter what we might think about those two, no matter how good The Bandit Prince actually is, that’s all people are going to say about those two. It’s her show and he’s just along for the ride.

They know that’s what everyone says. You don’t think that pisses him off every time he looks at her? Everyone ignores his own achievements and focuses on her and everything she’s done? The things she couldn’t have done without him being there to support her? He might not ever be brave enough to admit that he resents her because of it, but he will. Especially when she’s been oh so willing to risk everything they have worked together for. Because if they did lose that, what has he got left?

All of his efforts put into their partnership would have been for nothing. Lost because she could not resist wanting to increase the size of her own star. So all of those people out there that will say that he doesn’t pull his weight and she does all the work, they’re just plain wrong. If anything, it is the other way around.

We don’t have that. I don’t have anything to prove when it comes to you. Sure, I’ve been lucky enough to witness you become the champion of the world, but you didn’t do it because of me. You did that all on your own. I know you don’t take me for granted like she does for him, even though I just dragged you out of one hell of a hole.”

“What are you trying to say, Alyster?”

“That whatever you experienced wherever you were was a bunch of shit, Christopher. You think acting on fear is a bad thing? No. That makes you brave. Acting on fear means that you can do things that you never thought possible.

You’re so scared of her… you’ve already beaten her once! I brought you back because I was terrified of living in a world that you weren’t a part of!”

“You brought me back. I was about to accept my fate and face the consequences of my actions. I’ve rushed into so many things without thinking before and I have paid for it every time. This though? I don’t think I’ve ever been so sure about anything in my life.

Alyster, we’ve already done so many great things together. The Golden One is gone because of us. I still feel like we’ve barely scratched the surface, though. You walked away and I thought that was going to be it... but you came back for me. No one would have blamed you if you chose not to, but you did it anyway.

I think you’re right. We have that connection that’s so important and ours is different to theirs. There’s no disparity between us, perceived or otherwise. If we took those necklaces from them and solidified this extremely special bond… I think we’d be invincible.”

“Are we going to do it, then?”

“We’re going to do it.”

CHRISTOPHER OF LYNBROOK

Christopher extended his hand and Alyster accepted the handshake and they pulled each other in for another hug. They stood up and looked at the destroyed laboratory and then heard a high-pitched shriek from in the air behind them.

“CHRISTOPHER!”

Apri zoomed straight into Christopher’s chest and spread his wings across it, not caring that Christopher was covered in both his and Alyster’s blood. Christopher patted his body with one of his hands and Apri then wiped a tear from his eye and flapped in front of Alyster’s face after leaving Christopher’s embrace. “Thank you, Alyster.”

“Thank you, Apri.”

After a couple of seconds, Alyster motioned to his shoulder and Apri floated over onto it and comfortably took a perch, which brought a smile to Christopher’s face. Christopher then picked up Alyster’s mask from the desk and passed it over to his partner, who placed it back on his head to cover his face. They looked at each other proudly as smiles formed on their faces. The lights in their chests shone once more.

FTN

Buttons were mashed as Chris and Alyster controlled their likenesses in the game and battled against swathes of Nephews as they fought towards the characters based on Michelle and Gerald in an attempt to obtain their golden necklaces.

Without a word to each other, they looked towards Chris’s championship belts and looked at his half of the FWA World Tag Team Championships that they had won in the match which inspired this level in the game. Christopher was terrified at the prospect of facing Michelle von Horrowitz again, even after besting her at The Grand March 2023. His worries only increased when he considered the increased strength that MvH and Grayson had as a team.

Under the urging of Allen Price, Alyster Black went back on his own word to walk away from the FWA to be there for his best friend and support him through his struggles, bringing him back to a mental state where he could realign with his goals. It was a decision that he did not regret at all as it also gave ‘Black Jesus’ renewed purpose.

The championships that they had won together and the matching ‘FTN’ tattoos on their chests over their respective scars were permanent reminders of the power of their own connection.

SupineSnake

FREE PALESTINE
Reaction score
Secret promo #2.

episode twenty four.
"GELID ASCENT."

Gerald Grayson and Michelle von Horrowitz
are
[cthulhu’s nephews]
in

episode twenty four
"Gelid Ascent."

"In his mind, nothing could be more delightful than to live in solitude, and enjoy the spectacle of nature, and sometimes read some book or other."
- Nikolai Gogol, “Dead Souls”.

"Yes, man is mortal, but that would be only half the trouble. The worst of it is that he's sometimes unexpectedly mortal."
- Mikhail Bulgakov, “The Master and Margarita”.

Permsk. Near Nizhny Novgorod.
Saturday June 6th, 1840.
Denis Taigovich Godunov stirred his borscht around the large pot as the farmhouse door creaked open. He sighed as he looked at the moon. It was already late. The borscht was ready almost an hour ago. Denis had continued to dutifully and despondently stir the meal, watching it gradually thicken beyond its optimum viscosity whilst his partner - business partner, that is - stretched the limits of acceptable punctuality. He’d heard the horse coming up the snaking dirt path that led from their farmhold’s gates to the eastern road, which itself eventually led to the city. The gentle clip-clop of his co-proprietor’s black mare (dubbed Coal for its colour) stirred lingering memories of frustration, which spilled over into indignation during the horse’s noisy restabling, and then anger upon the door’s familiar, mocking creak.
As Rodion Roshawnovich Rachovsky entered the kitchen and placed his heavy, fur coat on the stand in the corner, Denis finally took his pot off the heat. He collected a large, copper ladle from its hook and began to spoon the stew out into two bowls.
"Sorry I’m late," Rodion began, between wheezes. Denis imagined the horse had done most of the work getting him home, but the short walk from the stables to the farmhouse was enough to cause the fat, drunk man’s heart to race. He continued to mutter absent and incomplete thoughts as he took a seat. "Always late, and in a rush. Too many drinks, too many farewells."
"And who was the subject of your drawn-out do svidaniyas tonight, I wonder?" Denis asked, as he sat down opposite Rodion and prepared his first spoonful of borscht, which looked thick and unappetising. His co-proprietor was busy pouring out two healthy measures of red wine.
"An old friend," Rodion allowed. He loosened the buckle on his belt - his rotund belly already hanging liberally over his waistband - before properly addressing his soup. "Someone I haven’t seen for quite some time. Not since my childhood. You might know him. Kirill Manovich Petrov?"
Denis bristled.
"Kirill Manovich Petrov?" he repeated, a slight quiver in his voice.
"Mhmm," Rodion affirmed, absently, whilst chewing his borscht.
"Father from Vladivostok?" Denis continued in his enquiries. "Mother is some kind of foreigner? French, maybe."
"Prussian," the other corrected. "Though you describe the right man. Fine fellow. Hasn’t changed a bit."
Denis set his spoon down next to his bowl.
"There are strange stories about Kirill Manovich Petrov," he muttered, his voice slow but now steady. "I’ve heard the name often recently. It is whispered around the countryside."
"You mean to say an old friend was home and you didn’t think to tell me?" Rodion asked. He grimaced to show his distaste. "This won’t do."
"They call him чёрт," Denis said, simply.
"Well, I wouldn’t go around spreading gossip, or calling him names," Rodion advised. He seemed more interested in finishing his borscht than the countryside’s whispers. "Partly because Kirill Manovich has many friends. Important friends. He’s trusted in Nizhny Novgorod, and even has contacts in Moscow. But mostly because I invited him to supper. He’ll be here any moment."
Denis stiffened. As if on cue, the farmhouse door creaked open again. Initially, Rodion appeared confused, or even amused, by the other’s darkened mood. But, thanks to Denis’ sincerity as well as the slow, plodding rhythm of the visitor’s footsteps, eventually some of the tension began to impose itself on Rodion, too.
His smile faded as the shadow of Kirill Manovich Petrov emerged through the door. When the man himself arrived behind it, a winter wind howled through the pores of the building, blowing out the candles on the table between them. Smoke hissed from their extinguished wicks.
In the doorway, the visitor smiled beneath his bristling moustache. His eyes - keen, piercing and cobalt blue - returned fire and warmth to the room in lieu of candlelight.
"Kirill, please, come in and sit down," Rodion said, as warmly as he could in an attempt to slice through some of the tension. Denis twitched, and then almost recoiled as the visitor stepped over the threshold. His cheeks were rosy and his breathing laboured, suggesting to Denis Taigovich that he’d enjoyed a similar afternoon to his partner. A чёрт was bad enough, he thought to himself. A drunk чёрт was even worse. "I hope the walk was pleasant, even with the wind."
"There’s nothing like the Russian winter," Kirill Manovich said, in a low, firm, and steady voice. He removed his coat and placed it over the back of his chair whilst Rodion poured him a glass of wine. Reluctantly, Denis retrieved another bowl and prepared a third serving of his borscht. "You don’t have to trouble yourself, Denis Taigovich. A glass of wine will do. I rarely eat solid food this late."
"It’s no trouble," Denis answered, although the sharpness in his tone suggested otherwise. The borscht was placed down in front of the visitor, who then proceeded to ready his pipe and, under gentle prompting from Rodion, indulged in the story of his recent travels in the Russian countryside. Denis listened attentively, though his narrowed eyes belied his mistrust. This only gathered when Kirill Manovich’s tale engaged as its principal characters the very neighbours from whom Denis had already heard tell of the visitor’s strange comings and goings. Such was Denis Taigovich’s obvious discontent that here their guest paused in his hitherto free-flowing and unfettered narration.
"Excuse the intermission," he said. His food remained untouched in front of him. "But I feel as though at least one of my hosts is biting his tongue. Are you okay, Denis Taigovich?"
The subject of the question remained silent, playing into the guest’s impression of him.
"My partner has been indulging in rumour and innuendo," Rodion interjected. His delivery was flippant, intending to win the visitor’s trust in the name of masculine comradery.
"Oh?" Kirill Manovich asked, a bushy eyebrow cocked. His smile had developed an edge. He looked only at Denis Taigovich Godunov. "And what do the old wives say about me?"
"That you’ve been visiting farmholds," Denis said, finally finding his voice. "Gespadins Bulgakov and Gogol. And Tarkovsky, Vertov, Eisenstein. Every landowner between here and Nizhny Novgorod. You arrive, drink their wine, and then make strange propositions under the high moon."
The visitor swirled his drink around his glass before taking a long, indulgent sip.
"My friends have good wine," he began. "And they offer it freely. The moon is already high, Denis Taigovich, meaning it is time for strange propositions?"
Rodion Roshawnovich laughed heartily before damming his mouth with a spoonful of borscht. Kirill Manovich continued to glare, a glint in his cobalt blue eyes. Denis Taigovich shuffled uncomfortably in his chair.
"Tell me, friends," Kirill continued, after finishing his wine. Rodion rushed to fill his glass again. "How many serfs did you have working on the farm at the time of the last census?"
"We have eighty eight serfs on the farm," Rodion answered, rather proud of his prompt recall. "According to the count last night."
"Ah, but how many on the last census?" the visitor asked. He took the refilled glass from Rodion and nodded his thanks.
"Ninety six," Rodion said. "But many of these are not the same men and women as work here now."
"So, I am to believe that some of these ninety six have died? At least eight, it would seem."
"More," Denis interjected. "It is hard work. Thirty one of that number have passed during the winter, and another eleven fled east. Many have been replaced. The census is out of date."
"And yet," the visitor began, his tongue sparkling as he attempted to imply his understanding of their plight. "The poor, oft-maligned landowner is still forced to pay taxes and fees on these dead souls, as well as those he has added to his workforce in the meantime?"
"That is the truth of it," Rodion replied, with a regretful shake of the head. Denis was more guarded. He knew of the visitor’s friends in high places and didn’t wish to show distaste for the state.
"So I make it that you are paying taxes and fees on forty two people who are no longer under your employ?" Kirill concluded. Rodion nodded in affirmation of the arithmetic. "Well, my strange propositions to your esteemed neighbours were merely endeavours to assist with that. Not in any official capacity, but rather as a private citizen. Helping my fellow man has become more of a priority as I’ve grown older. Or old."
"Will you bring them back to life?" Denis Taigovich asked, only half in jest. He felt there was black magic in the room and didn’t like the taste of it.
"Unfortunately, this power is beyond me," the visitor said, after a brief chuckle. "I only wish to purchase these dead souls from you. I think a ruble per person would be a fair price."
"You want to buy them?" Denis asked, somewhat aghast. The visitor didn’t flinch. Rodion was busy with the calculations, struggling because of the drink to compute forty two multiplied by one.
"That is my strange proposition," their guest said.
"We have sold serfs before," Rodion began, thoughtfully. Denis couldn’t believe that his partner was considering this macabre offer. "Though, one ruble for men and women that we’ve grown to love over the years doesn’t seem very much. The going rate would be closer to ten rubles per soul."
"The going rate for a living, breathing, working serf, yes," Kirill Manovich allowed. "But these are far from such. I offer one ruble in good faith, toasting the afternoon we’ve spent together, Rodion Roshawnovich, and our previous acquaintance. Some of your neighbours signed these souls over to me free of charge, sensing the good business in getting these useless appendages from their books."
"Even so," Rodion replied, cautiously. He sensed a good deal and had no intention of rushing in. "One ruble for Pyotr the pig-herder and the limp he’s carried around since childhood, or Margarita the cook whose cabbage soup is the finest this side of St. Petersburg, or Nikolai the one-eyed blacksmith… it seems somehow immoral."
"I can see that you are a sentimental man," Kirill said, pleased by this negotiating tactic. "I can go as far as two rubles for each dead soul."
"Чёрт," uttered Denis, halting the negotiations. He had remained mostly silent since the proposition was posed but was unable to hold his tongue any longer.
"I apologise for this outburst," Rodion said, shocked and offended on their guest’s behalf (though, truth be told, most of his indignance stemmed from him sensing eighty four rubles slipping out of grasp). Kirill waved the apology away dismissively.
"I’ve been called worse," he said. "Do we have a deal?"
"And what do you need these dead souls for?" asked Denis, his cutlery clenched in his whitening hands.
"That, I will not tell you," Kirill answered. "My business is my own."
"Чёрт business," remarked Denis.
"I really don’t know what has come over my partner," Rodion continued, whilst reaching for the wine again as a placatory gesture. He would need more than this to placate their guest, though, for a moment later Denis Taigovich rose to his feet and - his knife still in his hand - plunged the blade into the visitor’s chest.
Rodion stood up suddenly, the violent jerk toppling his chair, and let out a pained yelp as if he himself had been poked with the knife. Kirill’s reaction was far more subtle. His smile disappeared and surprise blossomed in his eyes. His wheezing became more pronounced.
"Have you gone mad?!"
"Чёрт," Denis said, simply, with a nod towards the wound. "No blood."
The visitor continued to wheeze. And then, finally, a dark red puddle began to gather around the knife, which still protruded (almost comically) from his chest. The life left his eyes and he fell face-first into his untouched soup.

Moscow.
Tuesday June 6th, 2023.
She remembered the last time that she’d walked around the perimeter of Patriarch’s Pond. The tall buildings - mostly uniform and utterly Slavic (in this uniformity and in most other aspects) - surrounding the water, Michelle, and her companions on all sides hadn’t changed. The war hadn’t really touched the aggressor’s capital. Not yet, anyway. In 2018, her mind was fogged by thoughts of Adrienne and Katya and Jean-Luc. The names were different but the black cloud in her head was the same. She hadn’t read Bulgakov back then and still hadn’t now. Doubted she ever would. The writer hadn’t crossed her mind in the five years between visits to the pond.
Harry was at the edge of the water, feeding the birds with a heel of old bread they’d bought from a nearby bakery. Gerald and Quiet walked either side of her and displayed varying levels of comfort with their surroundings. Gerald was (typically) on edge and glanced warily at almost all passers-by, concerned that their presence here - admittedly illegal - had already been noticed. Quiet, as ever, remained casual. Aloof, almost.
"Of all the places in the world to choose for a vacation," Gerald muttered, his displeasure deliberate and clear. "Which is essentially the choice that Uncle gave you, you chose here? Especially now?"
The question (or series of questions) was delivered with a sense of earnest exasperation. Michelle’s initial response, which amounted to a shrug, didn’t appear to be enough for her partner.
"I’ve got good memories in this city," she elaborated. Gerald afforded her this rare nostalgia, even if he found its target unbecoming. "And I wanted to give Uncle a challenge. Besides, I thought it would be a perfect place to think about the kaiju. And Peacock, too. It’s not like Meltdown is easy to watch here. We might just slip by unnoticed."
"Peacock, right," Gerald replied. He shook his head. Folded his arms. Kicked his feet a little. He’d already voiced his dissent with regards to Michelle’s next scheduled opponent. He sensed repetition would be pointless, and so let his body language say it for him.
"I’d have thought you’d be pleased for a week off," Michelle returned, as they rounded a corner of the pond, passing beneath the shadow of a French-ish restaurant she remembered from five years ago. "We’ve been defending our belts a lot recently."
"Oh, I know," Gerald began. "I’m acutely aware of how often we’ve been defending our belts. But all this talk of the hardest path last week… seems a little cheap to duck a defense this cycle. Especially when Peacock has a partner ready and waiting. Alyster might be a little, well, broken, but this might be just the pick-me-up he needs."
"I think he needs a little more than a pick-me-up. And I’m not sure why you want to give him one. He hates us now, remember? FTN?"
"...’. … ….. …. … … …..”
"Verzeihung," interrupted a voice - low, firm, steady, and with an immaculate German accent - belonging to an old man seated on a bench next to the pond. His smile was kind and his eyes were keen, piercing, and cobalt blue. "Weißt du, wie spät es ist? Ich möchte nicht zu spät kommen."
"He wants to know the time," Michelle said. Gerald showed her his phone, which hurt her eyes to look at as much as the midday sun. She projected her voice to the stranger. "Halb zehn."
"Danke," he replied, whilst tipping his hat. He still smiled brightly beneath his thick, bushy moustache. "Du kommst aus Deutschland?"
"Nein. Ich bin aus den Niederlanden. Meine Freunde sind Amerikaner und…"
Her voice trailed off. She realised she didn’t quite know how to succinctly describe Quiet.
"Ah, American?" the stranger said, in English. "Then you are visitors to Moscow, too. This is my first time, friends. You know, for a very long while, my kind wasn’t particularly welcome in this country. That was some time ago. Still not very welcoming, though."
Michelle and Quiet said nothing, and this pair would’ve gladly continued their stroll at that very moment. Gerald, however, let his pleasant and congenial nature get the better of him.
"And why have you come to Moscow?" he asked. He thought about adding especially at a time like this but worried that it might sound like an accusation.
"I have a show here," the stranger said. "You may have seen the posters. At the Bolshoi. Just one night, but still! Quite the stage! Tomorrow night, if you find yourself at a loose end…"
"What’s the show about?" Gerald enquired.
"My show is about what you might call black magic, as it is considered in mainstream society," the stranger replied. "I give it other names, of course. Nothing so artless. But that should give you a taste of it. ‘A demonstration and exposé’, although I could do without the second part. The theatre manager insisted, so here we are. I’m sure there are still seats, if you’d like to come…"
"I’m sure there still are," Michelle repeated. Gerald shot her an admonishing glare.
"We’ll look into it tonight, if we have time," the Daredevil added. Dreamer couldn’t tell if he was sincere. She concluded he probably was.
"Oh, you won’t have time tonight," the stranger said. He turned his head towards the pond but continued to speak. "Gabriella has already brought the lemons, and Mikhail won’t be around forever."
Gerald glanced at the others, a confused expression decorating his face. Quiet shrugged his shoulders. Michelle pointed towards the gates.
"It was nice to meet the three of you," the stranger continued. "Especially you, Quiet. So close to the end, too. You lose your head tonight, and there’s no coming back from that! The train won’t get to Shchyolkovskaya, and neither will you!"
"What are you talking about?" Gerald returned. He was spooked by the stranger’s use of the masked man’s name. The old man on the bench continued as if oblivious to the Daredevil’s change in tone.
"You remind me of someone, Gerald," he said. "Pontius Pilate. Have you heard of him? I should know: I was there, afterall! When he stood upon his balcony, and considered which man he should pardon in the name of the Republic. Oh, I was there! I know, I know, as sure as my name is Kirill Manovich Petrov."
"Come on, Gerald," Michelle insisted. "Let’s go for a drink."
"What do you think all that was about?" Gerald asked, as the three arrived on the platform. He tried to read the cyrillic on the arched wall beside the tracks, got as far as Ploschad Revol--, and then gave up. "How did he know our names?"
"....... … … …. ……..," Quiet answered.
"We’ll mention it to Uncle," Michelle added. She stroked the nose of a bronze dog under one of the platform’s many arches. For luck. It was already discoloured thanks to a million or so others doing the same thing throughout the years. She wondered if it had worked for them. "Hopefully it’s nothing."
"It’s never nothing," Gerald mused, as the timer until the next train ticked down to one minute. He glanced at the name of the terminating station and flinched at the size and state of it. The short lessons he’d had from Michelle during the flight (aboard the Octopi rather than a plane, of course) hadn’t prepared him for this. He shook his head. "Ridiculous language."
Michelle chuckled after following his eyeline. Щёлковская.
"Sound it out," she advised. "Starts with a shch."
"And that’s one letter," Gerald lamented. "Shch --"
"Azbuka will be closed already," a young woman spoke into her phone as she leant over the edge of the platform, looking out for the oncoming train. Michelle could pick her way through most conversational Russian and chose the surrounding small-talk over Gerald’s ongoing lesson. "Don’t worry. Gabrielle already has the lemons."
"Shchyel --"
"You’ll have to go on your own," a middle aged man - large and bearded and pot-bellied in typically Russian fashion, with an unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth - was admonishing his timid-looking daughter with his back turned to Dreamer. "Mikhail goes to university soon. He won’t be around forever."
"Shchyelkav –"
Quiet gathered his things, preparing to board the train. He avoided bumping into the young woman on her phone, who smiled (despite the mask, which was undoubtedly at least vaguely unsettling) and then removed herself to a quieter spot. He began to pace on the edge, watching for the train that they could now hear.
"Shchyelkavskya!" Gerald announced, with unwarranted triumph. "Was I close?"
"Shchyolkovskaya," Michelle said, but not really to Gerald.
As the train rumbled into the platform, slowing to a halt, a babushka bounded down the adjacent stairs - a toddler-upon-wheels only loosely speaking under her control - and veered wildly around the corner. She had the time. The train was barely in the station. But she didn’t know that. Quiet turned to face her as she skidded down the bottom two steps and lost her footing. She rammed into the masked man with her pram: a comedic spectacle, especially considering - as my dear reader must - the history and reputation of the man sent sprawling by this untimely and thoroughly unbecoming projectile. The pram rolled slowly away from the edge as Quiet unceremoniously tumbled over it, a modern day Anna Karrenina, only with troubles more worthwhile than those of late nineteenth century Russian aristocrats. His head, still masked, was sliced from his shoulders and then booted by the marauding train down the tunnel until it disappeared out of sight.
"Huh."
A few surrounding strangers (and Gerald) began to shriek.
The authorities had already taken the body away before Uncle arrived. As JAY! took over duties consoling Gerald on the platform edge, Michelle returned to Patriarch’s Pond. She found the bench where they’d met the stranger unoccupied. Harry was still feeding the birds.
"Yes, Kirill, all things considered tonight was quite perfect," Kirill Manovich declared, to himself and nobody else, as he emerged through the door of his bunker. He hung his hat and coat up on a tall, silver stand, walked past a trio of neatly made beds, and crouched down in front of a small, square filing cabinet. "You couldn't have managed better with a hundred attempts! One-take Kirill… yes, very good!"
Kirill Manovich was, as you might have realised, somewhat prone to talking to himself, especially when the bunker was empty and he was pottering around it. That was indeed the case tonight: he assumed that Aleksandr and the cat were still out causing mischief. So long as they followed his rules, put into place to avoid too much attention being drawn onto them before the time was right, Kirill was happy to let his assistants do as they pleased.
"Well, it's been a long day, Kirill. And, as we've established, a successful one. A veritable host of meddling Nephews, and you hoodwinked the lot of them! I think you've earned a little reward…"
As if he'd convinced himself alongside the flies on the wall (that's you!), Kirill Manovich began to rock the short, cubic cabinet back and forth, gradually dislodging it from its position and moving it to one side. A piece of cardboard was blu-tacked to the wall behind it, which he carefully removed and placed on top of the cabinet. Behind this was a hole and a tunnel: dark, drab, and just about large enough to crawl through.
"Must be careful, though, Kirill. Too much comfort is dangerous. Even if you have finally found him. Can’t get distracted from your real purpose up here. Important!"
With an assertive nod, he removed his shoes and placed them next to the hole in the wall. He stuffed his socks into them, rolled his sleeves up, and climbed in.
"Just fifteen minutes…"
He crawled a few metres into the tunnel, the hard, jagged rocks soon giving way to fine, white sand, through which Kirill Manovich promptly began to fall…

He landed with an unexpected, unprotected, and unenjoyable thud on the hard road. He remained seated upon the cold surface for a moment, regretting his age and the struggles that his old bones now frequently faced. Then, remembering that he only had fifteen minutes to make the most of his time here, he pushed himself up onto his feet.
The first thing that caught his eye were oceans of crops: cornfields stretching on for seemingly kilometres on either side of the road. They were familiar. He was in Maryland, then. The road, though it led from the same starting point to the same unseen end, was now paved with gold slabs. That was new. He spent only a moment considering this peculiarity before beginning on the familiar path towards the setting sun. He brushed the ends of the long, dry, golden crops with his fingertips as he went, staring up at the simple, pastel-coloured buildings set back from the gold road. Their aesthetics were generally pleasing but Kirill noticed that many of the windows were boarded up. In fact, it was a while before he saw anybody else at all. Usually, this place was choked with people asking for help with some menial task or another.
"You lost, friend?"
Silence doesn’t last forever (until it does). After what felt like over half of the time he had in this place, Kirill finally came across a living soul. Or three living souls, to be precise. Standing a few metres away from him was the familiar figure of an Amish man. He was feeding his two horses - Thomas on the left and Harry on the right - with a handful of hay. His other arm was engaged in ruffling the beasts’ manes.
"No," the visitor said. "This is where I expected to be. Here or somewhere like it."
"You expected to be in the middle of nowhere?" Jedidiah asked.
"I’ve been here before," Kirill answered. "Your name is Jedidiah Jerome Jameson."
The Amish man pulled a face that suggested a sudden spasm of thought.
"I’m sorry, I don’t remember you," he said, accepting defeat. "It’s been a while since we’ve had any visitors at all."
"This place is the same, and yet it’s changed a lot, too."
"Well, the road is new," Jedidiah acknowledged. He engaged in a tap-dance on the gold bricks. He had some talent. "And it certainly is a nice road. But there’s no people left to walk on it, except me and my children. Everyone else moved away."
"Klara? Kaleb?" Kirill asked. Jedidah nodded his head. "Even Ray?"
"Well, nobody was left to give Old Ray his pills," Jedidiah explained. "That’s been the way of things around here for a while. First, visitors stopped coming to help the townspeople with their odd jobs, and then the townspeople stopped helping each other. Got to be that everyone was out for number one. They became more concerned about what their neighbour could do for them, as opposed to what they could do for their neighbour. Backwards, really."
"And now you’re here on your own?"
"Well, there’s Margot and Gerard," Jedidiah said, as something resembling a smile returned to his face. "If you stay for dinner you’ll get the chance to meet them."
"Lead the way," Kirill instructed.
Jedidiah did exactly that, taking the visitor to a large, pink house at the end of the gold road. On the way, he engaged in smalltalk about Kaleb’s disappearance. The young man had turned his back on religion, renounced the Goddess, and then walked into the hills. Krystal still returned infrequently, though was changed by her new friends, who were as angry as they were powerful. Old Ray inspired most sadness in the host, and about him Jedidiah would say very little.
In the yard in front of the pink house, two children - Margot and Gerard - were playing capture the flag. It appeared as if they were both on the same team, which was somewhat adorable but unquestionably made the game a little difficult to play. They defended their base - a veritable fortress, no doubt - from nobody and nothing save their own imaginations.
"This is all that's left," Jedidiah announced, wistfully. "We are all that's left. All that hasn't gone or been taken."
"And why is that?" Kirill asked.
"Partly because they're under my protection," the Amish man explained. "And they can look after themselves too, of course. They're young, but this is their home. We don't expect to go anywhere any time soon."
Kirill nodded his head.
"I'll go and heat the food," Jedidiah said. He disappeared inside, taking a stealthy route so as to not disturb the defenders in their makeshift fortress. Kirill remained on the porch, considering the empty town and this relative hive of activity. He turned his mind to kidnapping, and followed his host towards the pink house.
After only a handful of steps, the gold bricks began to ripple beneath his feet. Then, they gave way, and Kirill - yet again - was falling.

Kirill Manovich Petrov fell from a moderate height and landed in a dumpster behind a Varenychna No. 1 restaurant in the Kievskaya District of Central Moscow. Fortunately, the series of cushions he'd laid down inside of it and the host of mirroring spells placed upon it provided a comfortable and covert landing. He remained buried within the padding for more than a moment and realised how tired he was.
When he climbed out of the dumpster, he found his assistant and his assistant's assistant waiting for him. The former was Aleksandr Rawrvich Chornny, his shoulders hunched forward, a green leather mask hiding his face and a pair of Kirill's shoes in his hand. The latter was a large white cat.
Aleksandr handed his master his shoes and a pair of socks. Kirill began to put them on.
"I hope you both had a pleasant evening?" he asked. Aleksandr grunted and nodded his head. Kirill sensed his assistant's impatience. "Don't worry. You'll be able to let loose soon enough. Tomorrow's the big day."

Michelle and Gerald arrived a little late to the Varenychna No. 1 in Kievskaya and couldn’t miss the army of Nephews that had descended upon the poor, unsuspecting eatery. They occupied almost the entirety of the restaurant, the other customers obliged to share tables with young wizards, fawns, or anthropomorphic stingrays as they broke their fast. Gerald ordered a plate of potato pancakes (not knowing precisely what they were) and an orange juice. Michelle stuck with a black coffee.
"Ah, Nephews!" Uncle said.
"Больше племянников?!" the waitress exclaimed, exasperated, as she brought over the Connection’s drinks. She shook her head and scurried away to replace Thomas’ empty ice latte.
"We were just talking about your opponents for XXX," Uncle said. He kicked out a pair of chairs he’d saved for the latecomers.
"Don’t you mean opponent?" Michelle asked. She emptied a pair of sugar sachets into her coffee and stirred it lethargically. "Singular?"
"Sure," Uncle replied, offering a wink. "But we were talking about them both: Peacock and Black. I know it’s a singles match for now, but your hubris is renowned, Dreamer! And you wouldn’t want poor GiGi sitting on the sidelines this close to Back in Business, would you?"
"Reduced to a cheerleader," Thomas said, with a rueful shake of his head. Michelle thought this rather unhelpful.
"No sign of Quiet?" she enquired, whilst scanning the room. Uncle, Thomas, and Harry all shrugged simultaneously.
"What is the consensus on FTN?" Gerald interjected. He sipped his juice and winced at the sharpness.
"We don’t use those initials," Uncle responded. His tone was as sharp as the drink. "Unless you’re playfully using them to stand for something else. And that, really, is the crux of what we were talking about: this soft and saft vendetta against the planet’s beloved protagonists. Alyster has always been a lost cause, even if I once shared a tag rope with the moody messiah. Kicking dogs to death is never a good sign. Someone should tell him how dangerous metaphors can be. And how far Boogie Baby has fallen… really makes one stifle a tear."
"You don’t have tear ducts," Harry pointed out.
"I have artificial tear ducts."
"Heaven knows exactly why they hate us all so much," Gerald said, as his ‘pancakes’ arrived. He looked at them in disappointment, especially when the waitress smothered them in dill and placed a pot of mayonnaise next to his bowl.
“I’m sure I could hazard a guess,” OBB said, whilst digging through a stack of bacon rashers that made Dreamer feel somewhat queasy.
"Probably because all of his previous title reigns were ended by the Nephews," Michelle reasoned. "By Uncle, specifically."
"Except for the loser belt," JAY! quipped. The young wizard narrowed his eyes. "No offense, Harry."
"Peacock is a proud man," Dreamer continued, as she sipped her coffee. "Not to mention ambitious. He knows that we’re the biggest threat to the trinket he currently possesses, and we hold another that his greed encourages him to at least try and collect."
"It could’ve all been so different," Uncle lamented. "I almost fear for Boogie Baby: another defeat to the Nephews might just break him, even if it is in a tag match."
"It is not a tag match," Michelle said, forcefully. "Peacock and Black haven’t even come close to earning a title shot. I’m not going to waste my time listing the meagre tag team accomplishments of our world champion and his sellout harpy."
She paused. Silence around this and most of the other tables.
"It is not a tag match," she repeated.
"Not yet," Gerald said, taking his turn to be unhelpful. He’d given up on the artificial juice in favour of water, but even that was too hard for his delicate taste buds. "Even so, we’ve still got XXXI to consider. A big one, considering the circumstances."
He stopped short of saying it, but everyone was thinking the same thing: potentially your last Meltdown. Thomas’ eyes lit up with fiendish delight.
"How so, GiGi?" he asked.
"Well, it’s the go-home, of course," Gerald answered, masking his anxiety well.
"You still want to do another defense?" Michelle sighed, indulging her partner by engaging in the discussion. "Who did you have in mind?"
"Well, I thought we could maybe do something more than a two-on-two," Gerald began. "Maybe a four-way against some of the ‘wronged parties’ - from their perspectives, of course - who want a rematch…"
"I think there’s a lot more than three pairs of those," Michelle said.
"Yes, but eight is quite a nice number for a match, don’t you think?"
"Love it, Nephew!"
"Very thoughtful," Thomas added.
"Classic GiGi," Harry issued a thumbs up to augment his approval.
"Gerald, tulip…"
Michelle was tired. So tired. Gerald’s happy, expectant eyes only amplified her fatigue. She was older than he was, and the wounds - both physical and mental - from their previous spate of battles still lay heavily upon her. The defenses and wins had stacked up, but so had the patchwork of bruises and scars that invariably accompanied them. He wanted more and so did she, but she wasn't sure how long her body and mind could keep this promise.
"Don't get ahead of yourself. Believe me when I say that I'm committed to the hardest path. But I know that you remember how long and how hard we had to fight and claw to even get a shot at our championships. At least Makima and that thing earned their shot."
"I happened to enjoy ‘that thing’," Harry muttered under his breath.
"Real Nephew potential," Thomas added.
"We're in talks."
"But try to remember that this is a vacation," Michelle continued, ignoring the tangent. Gerald held up the local cuisine on the end of his fork and lamented his partner's idea of a holiday destination. "If I have to think about the big tent, it'll be the world champion only, and the mountain that waits beyond. Not hypothetical defenses against teams who are barely teams, or ones we've already beaten."
"That doesn't exclude Mak--" Harry began, perhaps unwisely given the look it drew from Dreamer. Fortunately for the young wizard, Uncle interrupted the conversation's flow and altered its direction.
"That's your friend, isn't it?" he asked, whilst pointing a finger at a small but eye-catchingly colourful poster in the middle of the restaurant's notice board. Michelle and Gerald's eyes followed his direction and instantly recognised the keen, blue eyes and bushy moustache of Kirill Manovich Petrov. Even without the visual aid, his name was printed right alongside it. Uncle read aloud: "'Black Magic: A Display and Exposé."
"Sounds excellent!" Harry declared.
"I don't really want to give custom to the man who killed Quiet," Gerald said. He'd now given up on his potato pancakes as well as the orange juice.
"Not Quiet," Uncle corrected, though he didn't want to delve into the specifics again.
"And he didn't exactly kill him, anyway," Michelle added. "More just predicted his death."
"A subtle distinction," said Gerald, whilst glowering.
"I've had some thoughts on our visitor," Uncle began, thoughtfully. He leant back in his chair and puffed on the end of his vape, which drew a bout of loud and angry barbs in Russian from the waitress. He sheepishly put the device back in his pocket and sipped his elderflower London fog instead. "And it sounds to me as though we're dealing with a chaos devil. Here, they’d call him чёрт. Powerful, but mostly harmless, unless they've found their ‘companion’. They mostly spend their lives - which are eternal - preparing for this meeting, and for most chaos devils it never comes. And even if it does, their companion is invariably mortal, meaning they invariably die. Then, the chaos devil fades away."
"And if they have found their companion?" OBB asked, whilst gulping down the last of his domestic beer. He stared at the bottle approvingly.
"Well, that would be exquisitely poor timing on our part," Uncle mused. "But probably very interesting. Harry, book us some tickets."
The young wizard groaned. Arcane magic, precise spells, and lengthy incantations were fine, but he didn't want to deal with TicketMaster.
The smell of bacon and eggs drifted through the bunker as Kirill awoke, stretched, and pulled on his warmest sweater. It was always cold down here, regardless of the fact that summer was announcing its presence up above ground. The clock on the wall reliably informed him that the sun had risen but there were no windows to confirm this.
Aleksandr was preparing breakfast in typically dutiful fashion. Kirill wasn’t hungry but appreciated the smell regardless. He sighed a contented sigh and - being careful not to step on the white cat who was lounging on the floor (something that always confounded Kirill, given that they provided him with a bed fit for a human or a chaos devil) - made his way over to the small, square filing cabinet. He began to rock it back and forth in an effort to move it from the wall.
Aleksandr glared at him accusingly between a series of displeased grunts.
“It’s a big day,” Kirill said, whilst removing the cardboard from the tunnel’s mouth. “A little recreation before we get down to business.”
Aleksandr conceded with a deferential bow. He went back to preparing his breakfast.
“You’ve no time for food, I’m afraid!” Kirill declared, whilst removing his shoes and socks. “You’ll have to meet me on the other side. I don’t want to walk around Moscow barefoot. People would think I’m crazy!”
With that, Kirill Manovich Petrov climbed into the hole in the wall and disappeared. Aleksandr, who had plans of his own that did not include visiting the dumpster behind Varenychna No. 1 in Kievskaya, allowed himself a deep sigh before collecting his coat. The cat was waiting for him by the door.

Kirill’s eyes followed the snaking, gold-bricked path to the horizon, where the Lumiose City skyline - dominated by the Grand Showcase Stadium and Prism Tower - rose like a greedy hand grasping towards the heavens. Behind it, the sun set on a purplish-blue background, the evening song of Kalos Region’s many bird-types the scene’s primary soundtrack.
As he got closer to the city, though, the birds were joined in their symphony by the cheering and jeering of innumerable fans, all marching in their droves towards the already-packed coliseum. Kirill figured he had little choice but to follow them. The billboards lining the path to the stadium and indeed the arena’s outer walls all advertised the Grand Showcase Grand Final, which was apparently taking place today and for which Kirill did not have a ticket.
At least that’s what he thought. As he stuffed his hands into his pockets to brace himself from the evening chill, his right one grasped a small piece of thick cardboard. His eyes read the fine font on the front of it: Grand Final. Admits One. He made his way to the turnstiles.
The stadium was already full by the time Kirill found his seat, which was up in the nosebleeds and unfortunately provided an obscured view of the stage. A chirpy, enthusiastic announcer was welcoming the attendees over the arena PM system. He informed the audience that, from two hundred and fifty six hopeful Poké-tandems, the gruelling tournament had whittled the competitors down to two pairs: Manuel and Ross from the Johto Region, who would be taking on the legendary Jason’s protégés: José and Renji from the Kanto Region.
“Or, that’s how our final would have been contested, if all four finalists were here,” the announcer continued, eliciting bemused muttering from those assembled in the stalls. “Unfortunately, it appears that one of our trainers has had to return to the Kanto Region on urgent family business, meaning José will go it alone against both of Johto Region’s champions!”
This last announcement was made with the expectation of applause or cheering or, well, something, but the reaction in the arena was subdued. Most seemed to think they were being somehow short-changed. The announcer either didn’t realise this or chose to plough on regardless.
“It’s finally here, folks! The 486th Grand Showcase Grand Final! Let’s see who has what it takes to be the next Christopher and take home the Grand Showcase trophy!”
As if on cue, the three trainers emerged onto the sand below. Two of them, Manuel and Ross, from one side of the pit and José from the other. Whilst the Johto pairing spent time posturing and posing for the fans, whipping them up into further frenzy, their lonely opponent marched directly to his area. He clutched a Poké Ball in each hand and waited patiently for his opponents to finish with the pomp and circumstance.
“The format for this final has already been agreed by those competing in the match-up,” the announcer continued. “And we have quite the unique set-up here today: both sets of trainers will be able to release two Pokémon from their teams, who will then compete in a tornado Poké-battle for all the marbles! This is it, Pokémon fans! Let’s see who our hopeful champions have brought with them today!”
As his opponents finally sauntered into their trainers’ area, José threw his two Poké Balls onto the sand. A puff of sand billowed upwards from each of them, clearing to reveal the braced and ready figures of Golem and Pidgey.
“José reveals his hand! He’s a fan of that Golem: dark and brooding and prone to solitude, with stealth and speed and tricks up her sleeve! And I think that’s actually Renji’s Pidgey: the agile bird-type has already reached the experience level required to evolve, but he’s unwilling to do so whilst his true trainer is alway. Treading water in the meantime? Maybe! Let’s see how he responds to José’s commands today…”
Manuel and Ross glanced at José’s chosen Pokémon and then at one another. From Ross’s ball slithered Arbok, whilst Manuel’s Mr. Mime emerged onto the sand dancing.
“Fitting,” José said. Kirill, from his nosebleed seat, was pleased to find that the participants were wearing microphones. “A dancing fool and a hissing snake. Your Pokémon take after their trainers.”
“Hardly,” Ross returned, with a scornful snort. “If that was our game I’d have sent out Dusknoir. Or Annihilape. Obviously.”
“What the fuck are you talking about?” José asked, after a chuckle. “Are those even real Pokémon?”
“Enough!” Manuel declared. “It’s time.”
Their time, and also Kirill’s. His fifteen minutes up, the floor began to give way, swallowing him whole and spitting him back out elsewhere.

He landed, as always, amongst the padding he’d carefully arranged in the dumpster behind Varenychna No. 1 in the Kievskaya district. He sighed heavily, cursed his aching bones, and dragged himself out of the bin. Aleksandr and the cat waited for him. The masked man handed over his shoes. He put them on and then brushed the garbage from his tuxedo.
“You have the rest of the day to yourselves,” he said, with a devilish smile.. “Just be at the theatre in time for the show. Looks like I’m ready. I sure hope Moscow is.”
Anastasia Zhakarova was coming to the end of her shift when she saw what was, up until that point, the most peculiar sight that she’d ever seen in her admittedly quite unremarkable life. Granted, over the course of the next few hours, this record would be broken a number of times, but for now the scene that occurred towards the end of her shift on this Wednesday evening sat atop that particular list.
Anastasia drove a marshrutka, which was somewhere between a van and a bus. Most of them were old and prone to breakdowns, and such vehicles probably wouldn’t even be deemed road-worthy in the country that you live in, let alone suitable for passenger transit. Her route went from the Krylatskoye Hills to the Bolshoi Theatre, back and forth a total of twelve times per day. It was as she was making her twelfth and final repetition, somewhere near the Kievskaya area, that this peculiar series of events occurred.
First, a man in black, leather clothing and a green mask entered the vehicle, tapped a troika card against the machine, and took a seat. This obviously wasn’t normal: people didn’t usually walk around in masks. But Moscow was becoming stranger and so were its people, Anastasia thought. It wasn’t this customer that gave her such pause. Bundling onto the marshrutka after the masked man was a white Siberian cat, standing on its hind legs and with a small but perfectly proportioned stovepipe hat atop his head. He rudely pushed aside an old woman, shoved a ten ruble note to Anastasia, and then took a seat next to the other.
Ms. Zakharova, usually a consummate if slightly bored professional, sat in the driver’s seat of her bus with her mouth agape. She’d quite forgotten her route and simply stared ahead of herself across the Borodinsky Bridge. Was smoke rising from the Kremlin? It was a day for strange turns, apparently.
She was, perhaps fortunately, not alone. Ivan Denisovich, the old, dishevelled, and cynical conductor with a limp and a lazy eye, noticed the very end of the scene and decided to take decisive action.
“No cats!” Ivan shouted, snapping Anastasia out of her malaise. She watched him proceed to shoo the unwanted guests out of the cart. “Cats aren’t allowed on the bus! You can’t bring that cat on the bus, sir! You’ll have to walk!”
As the masked man and his peculiar feline friend were ushered off the vehicle, Anastasia Zakharova wondered to herself if perhaps Ivan - and the rest of the travellers - had rather missed the point. The fact that a white, bipedal cat had boarded her marshrutka was one thing, but the fact that he intended to pay his fare was quite another!
The lights turned to green. Anastasia drove across the bridge.
“Ladies and gentlemen,” Kirill Manovich Petrov began, in his steady and commanding voice, after the initial applause within the Bolshoi had died down. He looked out at his audience: smartly dressed and expectant. Some were excited, more were cynical, but all of them had come to see him. “To begin: a gift!”
Above their heads, the huge, invaluable, glass chandelier suddenly folded in on itself. The resulting crunch drew the audience’s gaze upwards, where the glass had shifted into something else entirely. Whatever it was now began to crumble away from the ceiling and cascade onto those gathered below.
“Five hundred ruble notes,” Uncle said, in the upper grand circle, after catching one of the falling bills and inspecting it. “Not a bad opening gambit.”
“Is it real?” Gerald asked.
“Looks real,” Michelle answered. The same conversation was being replicated in every corner of the auditorium. Down in the stalls, a man on the fourth row felt compelled to confront the source.
“Are you a counterfeiter?” he asked. “What is this? You expect us to believe that this is real?”
“Oh, but it is real!” Kirill answered, more sure of himself than ever. Either side of him, the masked man and the cat waited with their hands behind their backs. “Just like that Rolex you’re wearing, sir.”
“I don’t have a--” the man trailed off as a gold watch unfurled itself into position on his wrist.
“Hey!” came another voice, a few rows further back. “I want a Rolex, too!”
“So be it!” Kirill replied, whilst throwing his arms up into the air. “Rolexes for everybody!”
Uncle noticed that the chaos devil wasn’t being quite truthful in his use of the word ‘everybody’: this kind gift was not extended to him or any of his Nephews.
“Prefer pocket watches, anyway,” Thomas mused.
“You know, a wise friend once told me that I should focus on using time rather than counting it,” Gerald added.
“Are you quoting that exposition machine again?” Harry asked. “It’s over, Gerald. Uncle threw it in the lake.”
Down below, Kirill Manovich Petrov was basking in the adulation of his suddenly adoring audience. Not only had he given them watches, but their suits, dresses, and shoes had been replaced by ones far more expensive and exclusive than those they’d entered in, whilst still matching the individual tastes of each individual member of the audience. He could’ve walked off the stage right there and then and been a hero of the city. Or, at least, this specific, miniscule, and highly affluent subset of the city.
“I should get a pet,” Uncle thought out loud, his eyes regarding the fluffy white cat on the chaos devil’s right.
“You had one,” Thomas replied. “It was a beholder named Reverse-Patches. You loved it.”
“Oh, right,” Uncle remembered. “Wonder what happened to him.”
As Uncle lost himself in his recollections, a third man (and fourth mammal) walked onto the stage. He was less impressively dressed than the other three, in a plain suit that apparently hadn’t undergone the same augmentation as everyone else’s attire. Perhaps this is why he looked so glum.
“I’m not sure this display of trickery and pandering is really appropriate for this esteemed venue,” he said, with his hands on his hips. Unbeknownst to almost everyone assembled in the Bolshoi that night, he was the theatre manager, and couldn’t quite remember why he’d agreed to take this booking in the first place. “But you’re here. And you promised an exposé.”
“I don’t think the audience really cares about the exposé,” Kirill said, sporting a knowing and cunning smile. Indeed, those in the stalls and circles weren’t affording him or the theatre manager any attention whatsoever. They instead busied themselves in inspecting their new fineries and trinkets. “Is anyone interested in the exposé?”
“I’m more interested in what you could do to my apartment!” replied the man on the fourth row who’d first begun the audience participation.
“See?” Kirill Manovich asked the theatre manager, who gave a hmph that suggested he found this whole affair undignified and then left the stage. “Well, I guess it’s time for the second act, folks! Just so happens that this is the final one…”
With that, every chair in the stalls and the first circle spontaneously burst into bright blue flames. The mood in the auditorium, moments ago one of capitalistic jubilation, suddenly turned to confusion, fear, and chaos. Men and women scrambled over their own children in an attempt to get to the nearest exits, which were suddenly guarded by lurching flames in the shape of ferocious, three-headed dogs.
“Well, that escalated quickly,” Uncle quipped. He was still seated in his chair within the grand circle, which was free of fire but was choked by the thick, black smog rising from below.
“Should’ve known it was a trap,” Thomas added. “They look the sort to set traps.”
“Takes a thief to catch a thief,” Harry said.
“They’re escaping through the back,” Michelle pointed out, as the three performers stepped over the corpse they’d made of the theatre manager on their way to leaving the stage. “Guess we ought to follow.”
“Are we not going to help everyone else?” Gerald asked. He waved his arms in the general direction of the surrounding carnage.
“No,” Uncle said, simply. It appeared he was willing to leave it at that, but the Daredevil’s stern glare (not to mention the folding of his arms) insisted on elaboration. “Did you see the ticket prices, GiGi?! These people are filthy rich! Fuck them! They can save themselves! But I think I’m beginning to work out exactly who this dweeb’s ‘companion’ is and… well, it will be better for everyone - rich and poor - if we stamp this shit out right now.”
Gerald sighed. Unfolded his arms.
“After you,” he said.

Whilst most of the Nephews retreated to high vantage points around the area to keep a close watch on proceedings down below, Uncle and the Connection marched towards the huge marble arch (uncapitalised) at the end of Tverskaya Street. Three dark figures, shrouded in shadow, waited for them under the white structure. Foremost amongst them was Kirill Manovich Petrov, who leant on his cane and glared ahead at the oncoming Nephews. Aleksandr the assistant and his white, fluffy cat stood casually at each of the Master’s shoulders.
As Michelle, Gerald, and JAY! passed by, each of the large, angular buildings on either side of them burst into the same blue flame that they’d seen in the theatre. They didn’t know if it was real or one of the conjurer’s illusions. It certainly seemed real inside the Bolshoi. So did the money. And, most importantly, the panic. There was plenty of that out here, too. Droves of people fled the marble arch at the end of Tverskaya, from which every one of them - even the most untrained and ignorant when it came to the arcane arts - sensed a strange, chaotic power. The Nephews walked against the general direction of traffic, arriving beneath the arch’s shadow to confront the devil and his advocates.
“I thought I saw you at the show,” Kirill Manovich said, whilst tipping his hat and bowing slightly in the direction of the newcomers. He spoke to him as if they were old friends. “So far away! You should’ve said you were coming. I could’ve got you better seats.”
“Looked a little warm near the front,” Uncle quipped. “Sometimes it’s best to keep your distance.”
“But only for so long, yes?” Kirill replied. “Couldn’t stay away forever?”
“Can’t leave a chaos devil unchecked to have his way with a city,” Uncle said, nonchalantly. “Even one as reprehensible and dispensable as Moscow.”
“So you’ve worked out what I am?” the old man said, his smile growing beneath his bristling moustache.
“A while ago,” Uncle boasted.
“Our Uncle is very perceptive,” Michelle tickled his ego.
“How close are you?” JAY! asked. “To your companion.”
“Close,” Kirill allowed. “Would you like to see?”
The visitor’s bunker was buried deep underground, and both Uncle and Michelle surmised that it was one of many similar subterranean safehouses left over from the Cold War. Dreamer regarded Uncle’s heightening anxiety in the packed elevator and pitied him. She recognised his pain from the inside of an airplane. The relief washed over him as the rickety elevator doors opened up one more, allowing the four humans, the COSMIC HORROR, and the white cat to enter a cramped and thoroughly unremarkable room. A coat stand, three neatly made beds, and a small, square filing cabinet were the quarters’ only notable items of furniture. Kirill stepped into the center of the room and looked around himself admiringly.
“It’s not much,” he declared. “But it’s home.”
“What’s through there?” Gerald asked, pointing towards a second door. “Bathroom?”
“Afraid not,” the chaos devil answered. “We don’t really have any use for anything like that. That’s my shrine. Aleksandr, if you would.”
The assistant opened up the door. The Nephews stepped through into another small room, but this time they were confronted by a floor-to-ceiling array of screens. Many of them displayed footage from previous FWA events: matches, backstage interviews, video packages, talking heads, and a myriad of other clips played silently on the tower of screens. All of them, though, had in common their primary subject: ‘Disco’s Last Warrior’, Boogie Baby, the FWA World Champion. Chris Peacock.
“This is pretty weird,” Michelle surmised, after finishing a cursory scan of the wall.
“Guess he must’ve known who we were back at the pond,” Gerald concluded.
“I agree with both of you,” Uncle said, leaving the room decisively and returning to the main dormitory. “That’s a pretty weird room you have there. Never met a Peacock superfan before. Takes a particular type, I’m sure.”
“Chris Peacock is the ultimate man,” Kirill Manovich began. Michelle choked back a laugh. Gerald listened curiously. “His flexibility and his adaptability, his willingness to change everything about himself to show character progression… his ruthlessness and his thoughtless ambition… his ability to utilise relationships for gain. There are times when I wonder if he is a separate being, or merely a mortal projection, an extension, of myself.”
The three Nephews stared at their host in silence. They found themselves unable to formulate a response. It should go without saying that the very same traits that this devil lauded were those that made him weak and spineless and cowardly in their eyes.
“He’s my companion,” the visitor added, proudly.
“How can you be sure?” Uncle asked.
“My shrine is only half of it,” the chaos devil answered. “I have other windows into his mind. More direct routes. Aleksandr…”
Once more, the masked assistant spurred into action at his Master’s command. He rocked the small, metallic filing cabinet back and forth until it came away from the wall. They felt the tunnel’s power more keenly without the obstruction. Uncle, almost hypnotised by the strange quality of it, walked towards the hole in the wall and stared into the darkness.
“Is this a Malkovich Portal?” he asked. The old devil nodded.
“A Malkovich Portal?” Gerald repeated.
“Like John Malkovich?” Michelle queried.
“There’s thousands of them dotted around the world,” Uncle began. “They can be trained on a particular target if you know how, and they’ll stay on that person until they stop breathing. Then it returns to dormancy.”
“Excellent,” Gerald said. “But what does it do?”
“Oh, I always forgot how little you both still know,” Uncle replied. “A Malkovich Portal allows you to visit another human’s subconscious, usually for around fifteen minutes.”
“So it is like John Malkovich.”
“Yes, except it’s for voyages into the subconscious only,” the COSMIC HORROR explained. “That means dreams, Dreamer.”
“Not just dreams,” Kirill interjected. JAY!, caught up in a tailwind of exposition, has almost forgotten that the devil and his assistants were there. “Daydreams, hopes, fantasies, fears, flashbacks, hallucinations… the subconscious is a vast place. Would you like to take a trip? I’ve calibrated it for three. Means you’ll only have five minutes, but that should give you a little flavour. Just take your shoes off, if you wouldn’t mind.”
Almost before Kirill Manovich had finished the invitation, Uncle was climbing through the mouth of the tunnel. He disappeared, his boots thrust back through the opening without a further word. Gerald and Michelle followed him with a lot more trepidation.
They crawled hand over foot across jagged rocks, which soon turned into thin, white sand. It felt soft and comforting as they fell through it…

“Where are we?” Gerald asked, as he picked himself up from the hard earth on which he’d landed, next to Dreamer and Uncle.
“And how the fuck did we get here?” Michelle asked. She brushed the sand from her tracksuit and then reached into her pocket, pleased to find that her cigarettes had made the jump with her. She placed one between her lips and lit the end of it. “Small mercies…”
Uncle halted any further questions by lifting a finger to his mouth, insisting upon his Nephews’ silence. The cause of this soon became clear, a pair of voices audible somewhere beneath their position. The trio crawled to a nearby cliff edge, realising in the process that they had somehow found their way to the very top of a tall mountain. A few metres below them on a narrow plateau stood a pair of travellers inspecting a map.
“It’s got to be this way, mate,” the slightly more imposing of the two - garbed all in black, tunic and cloak and mask - insisted, as he prodded the piece of parchment with his index finger. “I know I’ve been wrong before, but this is the way. Trust me, Christopher.”
“We’ve just come from Saxet City, Alyster,” the other man, wearing a flamboyant jumpsuit and with a thick mustache in need of combing sitting on his upper lip, replied. “Look, there’s the Nola Desert. That’s the big yellow bit. Then that mass of buildings is the city, where we’ve just been. This hill is The Pass. That’s where we are now. It’s this way to the Eagle Kingdom.”
The extravagantly dressed traveller marched on without waiting for a response. Alyster folded the map up and placed it in his pocket before following. The two of them began to carefully pick a way down the mountain.
“Do any of those place names mean anything to you?” Gerald asked, hopefully.
“It’s not the geography of any planet I know,” Uncle replied. “And I know a fair few. If our devil friend is to be believed, we’re in Boogie Baby’s subconscious.”
“And you think he’s to be believed?” Michelle asked. Uncle shrugged. “Shall we go? Might as well follow.”
JAY! seemed to agree, but their momentum was quickly stayed by the arrival of a third figure on the plateau. This one paused as he reached the lip that the other two had just climbed down from. He turned around and looked directly at the Nephews.
“You are new to this place,” he said. “I don’t know any of your faces, from my travels or from the fire.”
“What is this place?” Gerald asked. Uncle winced and rolled his eyes. Perhaps he thought the traveller might forget they were there if they stayed still for long enough. “And who are you?”
“This is Fantasia,” he answered. “And I am the Watcher. The Exiled One.”
“Of course,” Michelle said. It was her turn to roll her eyes. “Why is Christopher walking away from you? He doesn’t even seem to know you’re here.”
“Well, I’ve mostly been a supporting player thus far,” the Watcher explained, after a sigh that belied his disappointment. “Little bit of an afterthought, to tell you the truth. But that’s to be expected. Alyster’s meant to be his tag team partner and he didn’t even show up until after level two. Our protagonist’s a tad self-absorbed.”
“Level two?” Gerald queried.
“Level one was Daniel the Great in the Nola Desert,” said the Exiled One. “Then there was Johann Sommer in Saxet City. That was level two. I’m not sure what level three is going to be.”

“Oh,” concluded the Watcher. “I guess level three is going to be a pink octopus in the sky.”
“I think it’s starting,” Michelle said. She nodded at an ominous, dark cloud rolling over the lowland plains, across which two figures - the intrepid travellers - meandered quickly. As quickly as they could travel on foot, that is, but nowhere near quickly enough.
Most of the clouds broke into a vicious, lashing rain, but the one that followed the travellers burst apart to reveal a colossal cephalopod, its tentacles reaching out of the sky and groping towards the journeyers. They pulled out their weapons, but they were clumsy and unused to each other, falling over one another's feet and stepping on each other’s attacks. The ground around them split open in a wide circle, the earth caving in on itself and innumerable soldiers in bright pink armour climbing up onto the remaining platform.
“Octillian the Dread,” the Watcher announced.
“Considering the man hates us so much,” Michelle started, as the gigantic octopus lashed out at the two travellers with his vile tentacles. “His mind looks an awful lot like one of our adventures…”
“You’d be surprised by how many do,” Uncle pointed out. The ground beneath them began to rumble.
“Earthquake?” Gerald asked.
“I don’t think so,” Michelle said. “Five minutes, the man said. I think it’s ending.”
Down on the lowlands, the octopus hoisted the masked man off the ground by his ankle, swinging him around and battering him against a nearby cluster of rocks. Christopher stumbled backwards, swinging his longsword, unaware of the pink army gradually encroaching around him, his focus absorbed by the floating leviathan.
“Fool,” Michelle said. “He’s going to die here. He is drowning in hopes to cover himself in empty glory with a meaningless gauntlet, whilst his true enemy watches on from the hills.”
“There is still time for him yet,” the Watcher said. “The road to the Eagle Kingdom is long, and --"
“Don’t say it…”
“-- winding, with many lessons to be learned along the way.”
Michelle sighed. Beneath them, the mountain ripped apart, and once again they found there was no ground beneath their feet.

The three Nephews didn’t know that they were in a dumpster behind Varenychna No. 1 in the Kievskaya District. They only knew that wherever they were wasn’t nearly large enough to house all three of them. Michelle was the most uncomfortable with the close proximity in which she found herself in with her partners, and as a result was the first to climb out. Waiting for them in the surrounding courtyard were Kirill Manovich, Aleksandr Rawrvich, and the white cat.
“You didn’t bring our shoes,” Michelle said.
“I don’t think you’ll be needing them,” Kirill answered. He hadn’t lost his smile. Uncle and Gerald clambered out of the dumpster and took up position on either side of her.
“Not bad,” Uncle gave his review. “Pretty powerful system. What powers the A.I.?”
The devil smiled. He didn’t intend on answering this question. He instead began on a tangent of his own.
“I’m sure you know of the long and often lonely life that one of my kind is doomed to lead,” he began. “Until I found Aleksandr, I was utterly alone, with nothing but my plots to keep me sane. This purpose is what kept me going. I knew that, one day, I would find my companion, and that preparations must be made. Their mind would match my own, and together we’d live out the same dreams. A city might fall under my hand alone, but for the world? For that, we’ll need an army…”
“Peacock’s a douche,” Gerald interjected. “But what makes you think he’s interested in world domination?”
“Have you seen him?!” the visitor replied. “Heard the things the man says?!”
“I think you might be overestimating the man’s ambition…”
“If my companion doesn’t want to lead this revolution, I will lead it in his name!” Kirill answered, his ire and his voice both raised. He made an attempt to level his tone before continuing. “I have come too far and suffered for too long for this plan to break down now. You know, there was once a time when I intended to raise an army of dead souls in the Russian countryside? A ludicrous plan, looking back. The impetuousness of youth…”
The visitor chuckled to himself as he indulged in this nostalgia. The Nephews glanced at one another uncomfortably.
“And then there were the mercenaries… the crooked rogue nations… I even heard that there were a great number of Peacock ‘splices’ wandering the globe aimlessly that I thought might be rather poetic, but I wasn’t the only one looking for them. But now? The perfect solution! And it’s fallen right into my lap!”
“Oh?” Gerald asked, with a cocked eyebrow. Uncle sensed where the devil was going and groaned.
“He means us,” the COSMIC HORROR muttered.
“An army of Nephews, bent to my will! The irony! Your mortal nemesis taking the role of leader, a title you were too craven to assume yourself.”
A short silence followed. JAY! considered explaining that Peacock was far from his nemesis but didn’t think it worth the effort. Gerald’s heavy breathing echoed around the courtyard. The tension was finally cut when Michelle burst out into unexpected laughter. Uncle swiftly followed suit. For a moment, the Daredevil glared at them in indignation, but when he noticed the effect it was having on the visitor he couldn’t help but join in.
“Take me seriously!”
The barked command doubled Uncle over in unbridled, uncontrollable glee. Gerald attempted to stifle his own mirth but succeeded only in squeezing his laughter into a series of squeaks and cackles. Michelle wiped away a tear, emerging as the only one of the trio capable of intelligible speech.
“Excuse us, but maybe Boogie Baby is your ‘companion’, after all. Whatever that is. You’re a lot alike. I guess that’s deliberate. But, despite the ridiculousness of it all, this whole affair hasn’t been a complete waste of time. You’ve shown us a lot. Mostly, I think we’ve learned why Chris Peacock and Alyster Black have made hatred of us the entire identity of their tag team experiment. There came a point when Chris realised he couldn’t beat us doing his own thing. Fear is contagious, and since then their acts have turned to mimicry. Pale imitations, though. Their dreams are less vibrant and less exciting than ours.”
It seemed that Uncle and Gerald were finally gathering themselves together. The fire returned to Kirill’s tone, emboldened by the lifting of this barrage of mockery.
“You’ll be laughing from the other side of your face when I finally meet him!” he declared. He was the only being in the courtyard who appeared confident in his words, including his assistant and their cat. “When I’m whole!”
“Must pain you to hear him talking like this about another,” Michelle said, to Aleksandr. The masked man shuffled uncomfortably.
“Sort of perfect,” Gerald added. “No matter how close Chris Peacock gets to another, there will always be a man he cares about more.”
“Chris Peacock himself,” Uncle answered the riddle.
“Aleksandr, isn’t it?” Michelle enquired. Kirill Manovich didn’t enjoy being ignored. It had been so long since anyone had pretended he wasn’t there, especially in favour of his brow-beaten assistant. “I’m sure you know all about your Master’s companion. It’s your job to know, after all. And that knowledge doubtlessly extends to his companion’s companion. Alyster Black only still exists to further Chris Peacock’s own vain aspirations. He has lost his fight and his individuality, and is now more of a tool than a person. Tell me, tulip, what did you used to do, before you met your Master? What did you used to be?”
“I was theoretical physicist at Moscow State University,” Aleksandr answered, slowly and with a quivering voice. Even Kirill seemed surprised that the masked man was capable of speech. “I had fiance. Her name was Volka Krashnikova. She was everything.”
“And then you lost her?” the Daredevil asked. Something about the masked man’s discomfort led the young man to go further with his prognoses. “You blame yourself, don’t you?”
“That’s natural,” Michelle continued. She’d been in that position a hundred times or more. “It’s also natural to feel you have to prove yourself. To show the world that you’re not as selfish as your previous actions suggest. But giving yourself up entirely is not the answer. The power you have now is only a projection of your Master’s.”
“But without that I’ll have nothing,” Aleksandr said.
“Maybe that’s better,” reasoned Gerald. “Better to disappear proudly than… well, whatever this is.”
“Silence!” Kirill commanded. Uncle was quick to stifle another bout of laughter that threatened to overcome him. “Very well: if the Nephews won’t join me willingly, I’ll cut off the head of their current pseudo-leadership and assume command by force. Prepare to fight!”
Uncle raised a finger to his chin, approximating Rodin’s the Thinker as he considered the чёрт’s proposal.
“No,” he said, finally and simply.
“No?” Kirill replied.
“No,” Uncle repeated. “You’ve talked a lot of balderdash over the past few hours, чёрт, but you did hint at one truth. And that’s when you called us an army.”
“Because unfortunately for everyone that isn’t a Nephew,” Michelle picked up the thread. “There are just so many of us.”
“Difficult to keep track of us all,” Gerald added. “Do svidaniya, Kirill Manovich.”
Uncle lifted his hand and clicked his fingers. As if prompted by this action, the three Nephews disintegrated before the devil’s eyes. The visitor stared at the empty space where they’d just stood with his mouth slightly agape.
The courtyard felt silent with only three souls left in it. That number quickly became two when the cat removed his stovepipe, flicked it delicately into the nearby dumpster, and darted away up an alleyway.
“Stupid cat,” Kirill said. The words turned out to be his last, uttered only a handful of seconds before a pink, chiral blast engulfed the courtyard, the Master, his assistant, and much of the Varenychna No. 1.
Uncle sat at the command station on the Bridge, Gerald and Michelle at either shoulder. A host of Nephews were busy performing their individual functions in the running of the ship, or in some cases relaxing between adventures. Thomas West was consumed in his work, attempting to descramble the mysterious signal from the Moonolith that they’d recorded last month. Harry was adding to the captain’s records with a detailed retelling of their travails behind the Iron Curtain, as he put it. Blazed and Depressed were conceptualising a play with a chaos devil as its primary antagonist whilst passing a water bong back and forth between them. Sting Ray monitored the approach of a Dreadnoct, the biological signatures on board revealing its cargo to be the Maid of Death, ÑŒ-I, and Kha’’rina Halruzh, back from their own side-hustle preparing a report on the potential terraforming of Venus. The Niece lounged on the pink, L-shaped sofa beneath the huge, front window of the Octopi, dreaming of a command of her own. Or at least a singles match on FWA television. Marcus and Micah pitched pennies at the bridge’s door. OBB and Stop Sign #3 relaxed whilst playing cards, the former with a bottle of Baltika lager and the latter with a few lines of cocaine racked up on a travel mirror.
“Everyone here and ready?” Uncle asked, after SS10K announced that the Dreadnoct had docked in the lower pod bay.
“Just waiting on Quiet, still,” Michelle said.
“No, he’s on-board,” Uncle announced. Gerald’s face flashed with anger at not being told earlier before settling on relief. “Was in his quarters, last time I checked his tracking device.”
“You’re tracking us?” Michelle asked.
“Be glad I am!” Uncle said. “We wouldn’t have got out of that tight pinch back there if I wasn’t.”
“Didn’t really feel that tight,” Gerald argued.
“Tight-ish,” Uncle conceded. “Not in his quarters now, though…”
The bridge doors slid open and Quiet walked in. They recognised his mask, his trench coat, and his tracksuit, but a pair of unfamiliar ballet shoes adorned her feet. Her, because the human inside these garments was a completely different one than they’d last seen in Ploshchad Revolyutsii. Her head was fastened onto her shoulders, for one thing.
Gerald, a look of slight and vague concern decorating his face, turned towards Michelle.
“You ready?” he asked.
“I’m ready,” she said. “Let’s do it: Peacock and Black, both of them. And then whatever you want the week after. A four-way, if your heart is set on it.”
“I was thinking maybe a tag team Steel Roulette,” Gerald mused. “Or even a bounty?”
Michelle smiled. She admired the ambition.
“Whatever it is, it’s going to take more than a basic acronym to kill a Nephew. Any of us.”
“A nice sentiment,” Uncle added, overhearing the pair. “But not strictly true. We actually die quite often. There’s a whole graveyard of us at the Europa base where --"
“Not helpful, Uncle,” Gerald interrupted. “It’s almost Thursday already. Shall we go back to Earth?”
“We’ve been on Earth this whole time,” Michelle said.
“Well, sort of…”

SupineSnake

FREE PALESTINE
Reaction score
Quiet dark match promo.

“a short quiet adventure to fill in the gaps.”
vs. “Paul” [Fallout 030].

It had been a wild handful of days, but there was nothing quite like midnight mass to calm her nerves. Church always had that effect. Margarita wasn't exactly sure what it was about the idols that comforted her. She associated these gaudy golden artefacts with the vague concepts of love and judgement. Mostly, she enjoyed the serenity of thought that came only with giving yourself up entirely to another. This was safest with God, and inside the church.

She glanced back at the golden domes of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. It looked timeless, and she struggled with the idea that it was only a few years older than she was. Until the early nineties it had been a swimming pool. She wondered if, had she been born only a few decades before, she would've acquired the same satisfaction from lengths of breast stroke as she did from midnight mass. She doubted it.

There it was again. Doubt. She'd only been outside of the security of the cathedral's walls for a few minutes and already it was creeping back into her psyche. The further she was from this holy building, both in terms of time and in terms of place, the greater these doubts grew. She was a sinful and spiteful being, for whom every hour was a struggle.

She walked to Arbatskaya to avoid having to change trains and regretted the choice immediately. Most of the other stations would be deserted by now, but this one still hosted a few dozen revellers who were just getting started with their nights of debauchery. Margarita felt her anxieties return, carried on the back of her vanity and her lust. She retreated into a quiet corner of the platform, sat on a bench, and read her Bible.

She fought the distraction of the surrounding voices, but couldn't do the same when confronted by a strange - but ultimately unmistakable - aberration from the norm on the rails. Propped up against the tracks, staring at her with an unblinking gaze and a peculiarly kind smile, was a severed human head.

Margarita lowered her Bible and prepared to scream out. Before she could, her vision was stolen from her, as though a black, leather blindfold was placed over her eyes.

Then, she felt this blindfold begin to shift. Not quite struggle: more manoeuvre itself so that it sat more snuggly upon her face. With silent horror she realised that this appendage was fastening itself to her. Finally, as the process was completed, eye holes opened up in the appropriate position. Through them she could see the platform, the tracks, and the smiling face of the severed head.

She was the same but different. Her fears and doubts remained, as did her lusts and her vanities. But she felt less at conflict with them. Her lack of resistance emboldened her.

"... .. …," she said. It was her voice and someone else's. Agency was a more difficult concept now than ever, but she didn't have time to consider it properly. Her attention was elsewhere.

M.rgarita watched a train arrive at the station. Doors open. Passengers board. Train leaves. She remained on the platform until it had left and the next set of revellers began to straggle in. Then, she left the station and returned to the city.

M.rg.rit. arrived outside the tall, squat building in Lubyanka and glanced up at it freely, unburdened of the hesitation and fear that usually accompanied a visit to this location. She knew this building's reputation: it was the home of the FSB and the KGB before that, and there were no records of the uncounted souls who disappeared through its doors for interrogation and never returned. It was the home of terror, and - like most of the other twelve million people who crawled around the city - M.rg.rit. usually afforded it the respect it deserved. This meant hurrying past it with her gaze averted, as if looking at it would be to acknowledge its existence, and the existence of its history. This felt unpatriotic. M.rg.r.t., at least until her strange experience in the metro station the preceding evening, had always considered herself a patriot. At least outwardly.

Not today, though. Today she beheld the yellow-brick, neo-baroque style building in all of its ugly, brutalistic barbarism. It was as angular and uninspiring as every other structure in this grotesque city. Still, she needn't have to worry about that for long.

Her body ached from the hedonistic pursuits of the night before, but M..g…t. didn't want to miss the show.

The fireworks started. Three dozen charges that she'd spent the pre-dawn hours in the city sewers laying ignited spontaneously, ripping the building apart from beneath. A violent burst of orange flame engulfed the structure and most of Lubyanka Square. The lower half of it burst outwards as its upper floors toppled, the roof caving in on walls unable to support its weight. Smoke billowed from the wreckage, which continued to cascade into the surrounding roads.

FSB agents began to flood out of the building, a half-dozen of them attempting to apprehend her on approach to the entrance. They were left staring at the sunrise with broken necks. Her actions were mere instinct, which she followed along a corridor, up two flights of stairs, and to a long line of doors. The air was cold here.

She was close. She didn't know what she was looking for but she was close.

Inside the last room, a body without a head was laid on a slab. Somehow she recognised the shell. She felt a kinship with it, with him, that she wasn't quite able to pinpoint, and certainly not explain. She felt both pity and envy. Not only because of the apparent butchery that led to his demise. In his end she saw her own and it terrified her.

Next to the slab, in a small, metallic chest, was what she was looking for. A tracksuit and a long, pleather trench coat, both bright pink in colour. She held the fabric between her fingers and smiled.

After changing, M……t. barely felt like herself at all.

……… meandered across the cobbles of Red Square, the building she had come to visit rearing up in front of her like a stallion on its hind legs. It was one of a large number of impressive structures within the Kremlin walls and, seemingly, was less immediately noteworthy than the others, at least to the large number of Moscovians and small number of tourists assembled in the square. Some were more taken by the colourful domes of St. Basil’s Cathedral, others by their own morbid curiosity and Lenin’s mausoleum. There were those only here for the expensive shopping mall adjacent to the square, and those that were beguiled by the tanks and cannons outside the armoury, and those that walked across the high, surrounding walls. Nobody was interested in the plain and unremarkable office building at the top of the hill. Nobody other than ………, that is.

At the door were four men who looked identical and dressed identically, and then a fifth standing a few metres away who was holding an AK-47. They looked her down from head to toe: the black, mouthless mask, the long trench coat, the hot pink tracksuit, and the pair of black ballet shoes. The last of these items was all that was left of Margarita. ……… was smiling but the five agents in her vicinity didn’t know it.

“Вы не можете быть здесь,” the first guard said. He had the correct job for his commanding tone.

“Есть знаки,” the second added. “Разве вы не видели знаки?”

“Ты говоришь на русском языке?” asked a third. ……… continued to smile.

“.’. ….. .. .. …… …,” she said, simply and quietly.

“Да,” the first guard, the one with the commanding speaking voice, agreed. He sounded far more acquiescant now. “Вы знаете, как?”

“. …. … …,” she answered. She turned to face the guard with the gun. “.... .. …. ..-...”

Without a word, the armed man handed over his AK-47 and was no longer armed. Now he was just a man.

“..... …, ………,” ……… said, courteously. The guards stood to one side and allowed her to enter.

She tried to count the number of agents who attempted to stop her from reaching her target at around twelve. There were a handful more after that, including a bottleneck at the bottom of the stairs where she’d repainted the walls red. She considered the arduous task of climbing over this mound of dead men on her way back to the entrance. Perhaps she’d look for an alternative route.

Inside the office upon the top floor, she found the man she was looking for. To pass him on the street he would’ve been unremarkable: old and bald and sturdy, with soft, blue eyes and a subtle, snide smile.

“........,” she said. She gripped the AK-47 gripped tightly in both hands.

“What have you come for?” Vlad asked, with fear upon him. “Are you here to kill me?”

“.’. …. .. …. … .. …. ….,” Quiet said, earnestly. “..... …..”

Vlad laughed. Shook his head. Closed his eyes.

“The whole world has heard me,” he replied, resolute and unwavering. “I am in this, now. There’s no turning back. This will be the end of me, just like I promised.”

“.... . .. …. .. …. …,” she said.

Four minutes and twenty seconds later, Quiet walked back across Red Square in the direction of the Moscow River, the office building bursting into concrete splinters and flame behind her. The plaza became a storm of chaos and paranoia. She stood in its eye and breathed it in.