Meltdown XXVIII & Fallout 028 || Card & Discussion Thread.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Momochi

Reaction score
Thought I would throw down a few more promo reviews whilst I am here...

Reagan Cole - @The Gipper
So, I'm not quite sure whether it was intentional or not, but I think some of the way that the narrative was written did help add to how Reagan was feeling in the opening part of the promo. Things like "I mean...", "he just wants to get some sleep, man" allows us as readers to understand how he is feeling when having that interaction, as we've all been there. If it was intentional, those were great touches in giving off a sense of Reagan just being totally fed up. Did I miss a part where he was given a new room? As it went from 88 with the two fat ladies joke, to 666?

Anyway, YES! This is what I have been waiting on for so long and for Reagan to get called out for everything that has been going on and why he's sticking with Mason despite everything. I think had you had more time available then this promo had potential to be one of your best, only because the scope for progression with everything here was so high. There's definitely more to come from this, I hope. This was a very solid effort, Gip, and another one in what has been a line of good promos coming from Reagan Cole this year. With GO on the horizon, you're definitely picking up some steam at the right time.

Makima Snowmantashi - @weaselperson
Okay, so I'll be honest. I was conflicted as soon as I realised where this was going as I was hoping for more of a standalone piece to introduce us properly to Makima, but in this instance, it makes sense that there would be some linkage in here with the Nephews, given that her goal is to win this match to then go and face two of them. On that basis, it makes perfect sense that they'd be involved here in some capacity although arguably you have an unfair advantage of being able to use them carte blanche due to how close you are with dijo. Harry being able to read the inner monologue was great and the wiping his hands subtle hint to it before it was made clear was very good.

The concept for this promo was brilliant, with people all having someone matched with them to mimic the ability to choose their partner. I liked the Hateful Eight set up with the added touch of Makima pretending not to be who she said she was at first. It actually being a legitimate thing was a twist I should have expected from you but I did not. I do think that the promo being so high concept and securing creativity boosts does come at the costs of some character development. For example, Makima started out being very sure of herself and despite everything going on, remained very sure of herself. I accept that she did not encounter much adversity along the way as she believed she was fully in control the entire time, though.

I think this is a very strong promo and a fun introductory piece for Makima here in the FWA. You've left me wanting to read more from her and seeing where this all goes next. Good job.

Lizzie Rose - @AON
With everything going on with Lizzie at the moment, this kind of promo raises my eyebrow less than it otherwise would have. I think this is a good reflection of Lizzie sensing the change within herself that is happening as she becomes more and more drawn away from what she knows as reality. Lizzie may not get the win in this match, but I think this is still a very good development for her. Although I won't lie I was rooting for you to win this because Lizzie and Joe tag champs would be amazing, especially after we already almost beat Connection last year.

Tommy Bedlam - @Tommy Bedlam
Someone is playing a little game of "appeal to the graders", aren't they? Dodgeball is an amazing film and whilst this was not a case of the promo being made to fit around the plot of the movie, I liked the references to it throughout. When writing a promo for a multi-person match, it is easy to fall into the trap of by one means or another, the field either being eliminated from the promo or focus being shifted from each opponent in turn. It is something that has happened to me many times before, and I think you did slightly do that here as well. However, it is not to say that those kind of promos where each of your opponents are considered in turn are automatically bad, because they aren't (look at the Nova Diamond GO promo for example). What ensured that was still the case here was the renewed focus on Tommy throughout.

The references to switches and of course the ending of the promo really makes me a feel a certain way, as I know what it is in reference to. You will have boosted your QOC score at the end with the consideration of the next steps, as it adds weight to the importance of this match from Tommy's perspective. Like, why bother going for it in a match like this if you don't have that next step prepared for and a partner lined up? Really smart work there with that. This was very fun to read, and like Cole, Bedlam is definitely one of the characters that is on the up at the moment and has been for the last several months.

Noriko Kaitomi - @Momochi
Out of all of the promos for this match, this is one of the two I was looking forward to reading the most, along with Al Blizzard, as it is the first time that we have seen what you've got in a competitive promo, and I have got to say that this is a very promising character. First of all, I have no idea how you were able to format the image like that but it looks great. I really like descriptive writing styles, as I try to write in the same manner myself, and these opening sections are very strong in that way.

I really really liked the theme of this promo, with Noriko letting go of her younger self and it was actually a very moving and emotional piece of writing when the younger self disappeared away. The dolls being stand ins for opponents is something that can be seen quite often, but that does not mean that the metaphor doesn't work. With Noriko not having any existing link to anyone else in the match, it makes sense that she was the main focus of the promo. I thoroughly enjoyed this and I am really looking forward to seeing what comes next as the character becomes more established in-universe.

"with Noriko letting go of her younger self and it was actually a very moving and emotional piece of writing when the younger self disappeared away."

Letting go of her younger self was exactly what I was trying to convey! When I play it out in my head it's almost like a movie to me. If that makes sense? Oftentimes I find it hard to manifest that in my writing. So to me, that younger self disappearing was a sad moment and very emotional and I'm glad I was able to make that clear in my writing. I really really appreciate the fact you were able to, as the reader, feel that level of emotion too in some way.

Reading reviews like this gives me confidence moving forward, and again when I have the time I'd like to take the time and review some, myself.

Thanks a bunch Man :D

SupineSnake

FREE PALESTINE
Reaction score
....Fuck. It was originally 666 but I went back and changed the joke and forgot that I mentioned the number twice. XD

Also appreciate the feedback as always!

I thought maybe I'd misread and the dude at reception had to give him a different room or something. Didn't go back to check.

weaselperson

Reaction score
Kazadi - interesting that you’re going down the route of continuing old Kazadi stories and newish weaselperson ones simultaneously, as well as introducing new layers to the character what with Kazadi returning under this new guise. This one felt quite episodic, which I guess it had to be to further some disparate character and plot points, but I liked the constant theme of Kazadi’s conversation with his uncle running throughout the promo. That helped tie it together and give the over piece some consistency. I really like Wanda and glad that she’s sticking around. Didn’t much like the detective but I think that’s deliberate. That scene was very funny, loved Kazadi recounting what happened in the CC promo and accidentally snitching on Jermaine in the midst of it. Meta stuff about it being confusing, hard to follow, some filler references etc were amusing too. Centerpiece was definitely the closing segments where Kazadi turns on Truth after not a huge amount of match focus for most of the body. Monologuish close-up with repeated ‘tell me how you really feel’ was definitely excellently written and scathing but I could see it maybe viewed as being tacked on to the main text rather than a real culmination of it. Still thought this was a killer promo. Also loads ‘cleaner’ than last week’s in terms of presentation.

Episodic bit deliberate, maybe. I wanted each to feel interview-esque with a different relationship type (legal/romance?/professional) between wp and the interviewer. Had a few other ideas but decided to keep it short & perhaps more so reflect that wp doesn't have a lot of connections to begin with instead of just coming up with half-hearted friendships.

Had some fun with the CC recap bit, glad u enjoyed it.

Ending was always what it was building up to, but was also worried it might feel tacked on. Think it probably would've come across response-y if I'd posted it after Cyrus's, so I was glad I got it up early. And was happy with the monologue overall.

Cheers for the review <3

Makima Snowmantashi - @weaselperson
Okay, so I'll be honest. I was conflicted as soon as I realised where this was going as I was hoping for more of a standalone piece to introduce us properly to Makima, but in this instance, it makes sense that there would be some linkage in here with the Nephews, given that her goal is to win this match to then go and face two of them. On that basis, it makes perfect sense that they'd be involved here in some capacity although arguably you have an unfair advantage of being able to use them carte blanche due to how close you are with dijo. Harry being able to read the inner monologue was great and the wiping his hands subtle hint to it before it was made clear was very good.

The concept for this promo was brilliant, with people all having someone matched with them to mimic the ability to choose their partner. I liked the Hateful Eight set up with the added touch of Makima pretending not to be who she said she was at first. It actually being a legitimate thing was a twist I should have expected from you but I did not. I do think that the promo being so high concept and securing creativity boosts does come at the costs of some character development. For example, Makima started out being very sure of herself and despite everything going on, remained very sure of herself. I accept that she did not encounter much adversity along the way as she believed she was fully in control the entire time, though.

I think this is a very strong promo and a fun introductory piece for Makima here in the FWA. You've left me wanting to read more from her and seeing where this all goes next. Good job.

The Nephew involvement early on was meant to invoke annoyance as a tease since they don't end up playing much of a role in the long run. Harry reading monologue bit of a borrow from Fleabag. Izaya is also supposed to understand just out of sheer close proximity to her growing up and his larger knowledge.

Glad you appreciated the concept. I struggled a bit with figuring out where to go since it might set the tone for future promos. I've always wanted to do Hateful Eight, but I didn't want to do anything AU, and didn't want to throw Makima into a bunch of death-related bits. Was also trying out a different sort of story structure, so the twist was sort of what the promo was built around, very happy to see it paid off.

I'm definitely still figuring out Makima, think as I get comfortable with the portrayal, it may get easier for me to figure out her development bits.

Appreciate the review <3

Not long reviews but wanted to give some thoughts on the promos I did read.

The Connection - Thought this promo was super creative in having it be basically xenofiction. GG & MvH genuinely felt alien-like while still retaining a lot of the characteristics that do make the Connection the Connection. The Nephews coming to save them in the end was fun. Think you carried a lot of the spirit of the Concorde music video, and in many ways, the sparse dialogue did make it feel somewhat music video-ish. Mega clean promo, and good usage of graphics. Think the promo's style did mean that it would maybe have a harder time tackling the character aspect (even if I do feel like there was still decent enough ties to both).

Jeremy Best - I only know of Karate Kid through the various mainstream aspects of it. Still, I think you captured the spirit (as I understand it) of Karate Kid well. Jeremy Best continues to be one of the best written voices in the FWA, and the dynamic with Violet Dreyer and trying to oust her to become Krash's number one pupil was terrific. The Nephews ending up being an afterthought & Baxter coming back in to do what he does best and take care of Jeremy's problem was great. I thought this paralleled amazingly with the Dreyer promo which has similar dynamics. Think you've done an amazing job overall of defining Best as a heel in relation to his enemies, and his partner Baxter. Heel of the Year IMO.

Jason Randall - McClones getting Randall involved with the Nephews? Well, Randall better get comfortable with committing murder, he was acting hella squeamish after Frodo. McClones definitely sound like they're inducting Randall into a religious cult.

Keres - Super enjoyed reading this promo. The writing style felt different than anything else anyone is doing and I think that's inherently creative. Really good match focus on Joe Burr and enjoyable to see her brief interactions with Princess Nova. Excited to see more Keres promos. Only recommendation would be a different font color for the speech, felt I had to highlight all of it.

Violet Dreyer - This was my favorite promo of the week, though I may be biased since I'm a long time Dreyer fan. It was a very pleasant surprise to see you go this all out since I don't get to read much of your promos these days. Nevertheless, Dreyer entering the Detective timeline (unfortunately, I've only read the tail end promos of those), is enjoyable, and her exchanges with Mike Parr (who's connection to Krash has suddenly made that Baxter match a lot more appealing to me, for some reason I'd overlooked that) and Alyster Black were both enjoyable. Great portrayal of Jeremy Best as the weirdo he is, and continuation of the narrative of Baxter as the key figure in Best being enabled to do what he does. Bill Scorpane perhaps a bit out of place given his departure from the Buddy System but plays a minor part of the promo anyways. Baxter being already dead wasn't what I'd expected, and the culmination of it with Dreyer nearly getting to see Krash was good. Promo had really fun thriller vibes.

Definitely a couple more I'd like to try and read if I can (for sure gotta pay it forward to Man). Had to rush this so forgive me any incomplete thoughts.

Mandalorian

E-Fed Staff Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d just post a couple more of these I had written up.

Bellatrix Bordeaux
So, I thought this was an incredibly clever promo, Welshy. I think the way you used part of what Summers used against you when you had your first match with him was well done and didn’t cross the line for me (hey, I beat SS using stuff from some of his old promos). I think with the bringing things full circle and going back to this, along with Bret’s monologue at the start was a nice way of closing out this first chapter of Trixie in the FWA as it is going to start and end with Summers.

Where I felt this promo lacked a bit was that aside from the opening, Death Walker and XYZ were kind of neglected. It would have been cool to see both of them weaved in somehow. That doesn’t stop this from being a very good promo though and a sterling follow up to your KODM effort. I think you’ve come on leaps and bounds from where you were when you first joined us and it is great to see. Nice work.

XYZ
This promo served as a very good follow up to the story that you started telling in your CC promo, and I am honestly very interested to see where you take it next after this instalment. You did a great job here of anticipating what may be said about XYZ and the general feelings on him as a character and basically owned all of his setbacks, which I think is very cool. XYZ being a dreamer and believer and I get the feel that he’s not even wanting to make others join or believe in him - it is just down to the person.

With this being put over as Christian’s story, very intrigued as to what role he is going to play for XYZ both in promos and on screen. I am okay with this being XYZ-centric, but I think some touching on the others would have helped this one a bit, especially Death Walker with everything that those two have had going on lately. Overall, I really enjoyed this and can’t wait for your next effort.