Melissa Barrera Fired From Scream VII after Pro-Palestinian Posts

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o
These are some of the posts she apparently wrote

In one social media post, the In the Heights breakout wrote: “Gaza is currently being treated like a concentration camp.

“Cornering everyone together, with nowhere to go, no electricity no water … People have learnt nothing from our histories. And just like our histories, people are still silently watching it all happen. THIS IS GENOCIDE & ETHNIC CLEANSING.”

Variety’s source suggests that Barrera was fired over one post in particular that “floated an antisemitic trope that Jews control the media”. She wrote in an Instagram Story: “Western media only shows the [Israeli] side. Why do they do that, I will let you deduce for yourself.”

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I mean "you shouldn't be fired for political opinions unless they're egregious" is such an easy thing to say and I've seen it by multiple people already here....but do we ever define egregious? Bc 99% of people will agree with that blanket statement easily, but what's egregious? Thinking gay people shouldn't he allowed to marry is egregious to some and praised by others, comparing conservatives being canceled to the holocaust is egregious to me, conservatives that have been "canceled" think it's accurate though

So there will always be this disconnect as long as any reasonable human acknowledges there is a line where it becomes egregious, but no one can agree on the line

See you guys next time this happens

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I mean "you shouldn't be fired for political opinions unless they're egregious" is such an easy thing to say and I've seen it by multiple people already here....but do we ever define egregious? Bc 99% of people will agree with that blanket statement easily, but what's egregious? Thinking gay people shouldn't he allowed to marry is egregious to some and praised by others, comparing conservatives being canceled to the holocaust is egregious to me, conservatives that have been "canceled" think it's accurate though

So there will always be this disconnect as long as any reasonable human acknowledges there is a line where it becomes egregious, but no one can agree on the line

See you guys next time this happens
I mean, this is my entire point. Which I think went over some, maybe. Depending on your point of you your justification for the difference between why Gina should’ve been blacklisted, but Melissa Barrera not can be endless, but you can come up with any reason why there’s a difference between the two things that were said and why one should be punished and why one shouldn’t be. Which is why it’s easier if you just try to just let people have political opinions for the most part. Because once you decide that they shouldn’t, then you have to be the arbiter of what political opinion is justified one what isn’t.

I’m not gonna claim to have all the answers. I know there should be a line where that line should be I don’t know. My only point was is that I see people today on social media, when regarding the exact same issue of this particular war, who think she’s being blacklisted for opinions, while they’re simultaneously calling for that Noah kid to be blacklisted because he was saying the opposite of what she was saying. So I just think that particular dynamic is fascinating.

Either way, though, I just find it sad that this actress i particular being fired from a franchise She’s helped make money over a very topical discussion that a lot of people are talking about.

I will say, though most people seem to be behind Melissa on this one unless the tide changes once more information is known. She seems to be getting a lot of support on social media right now.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Seems to be a stark difference between who's receiving actual repercussions and who's only receiving social media backlash, the canceling came first in this situation, it hasn't came at all in the other

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Seems to be a stark difference between who's receiving actual repercussions and who's only receiving social media backlash, the canceling came first in this situation, it hasn't came at all in the other
And that’s wrong. I think my biggest problem is that I I have something I want to say, and I’m not always able to get it out the way that I want it to be perceived. But I 1000% agree that it should be equal. Either equally nobody being canceled which would be the optimal play here or everybody is for having extreme opinions when it comes to this topical situation. If it’s even extreme because again, I’m not entirely sure of what was or was not actually said. It’s all secondhand screenshots of supposed snaps that she made.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
You also can't call people idiots for their opinion nowadays without someone accusing you of trying to get them canceled. Like Trent Barretta be liking hella ignorant things online, he's stupid, a good wrestler though I don't wanna see him fired. That's a distinction that's never made nor do people care anymore, you're just a canceler and no one can say anything without you wanting them fired

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You also can't call people idiots for their opinion nowadays without someone accusing you of trying to get them canceled. Like Trent Barretta be liking hella ignorant things online, he's stupid, a good wrestler though I don't wanna see him fired. That's a distinction that's never made nor do people care anymore, you're just a canceler and no one can say anything without you wanting them fired
Yeah, that’s stupid. You can absolutely criticize somebody without intentionally trying to get them to lose their jobs.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
That’s the problem a lot of the times with backlash to what they consider extreme is it creates a pendulum affect with an overcorrect in the opposite direction.

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o
Yeah, that’s stupid. You can absolutely criticize somebody without intentionally trying to get them to lose their jobs.

Not on Twitter/X. Once the criticism starts, people are doomed.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Not on Twitter/X. Once the criticism starts, people are doomed.
This is what I try to convey when I make my points. Unsuccessfully, sometimes as it may be, that nuance is lost art form. It’s all or nothing.

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o

You can blame that on people actively searching up quotes or tweets from a decade ago in attempt to get someone fired. It's about to be 2024, why in the hell should someone care about what someone said in 2009.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
If I’m being perfectly honest, I don’t know why any celebrity involves them selves with social media. There is no upside to using it that can negate the possibility of you just saying anything one day that’ll just be the wrong thing that one particular point in time and sometimes it doesn’t even have to be that point in time. Attitudes can change so much in five years. Somebody will find something you said five years ago that will just absolutely tank your career. I’d be one of these guys that would have a Twitter handle and just never use it.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You can blame that on people actively searching up quotes or tweets from a decade ago in attempt to get someone fired. It's about to be 2024, why in the hell should someone care about what someone said in 2009.
Ninja. :slip:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I agree with Chris, though. You can absolutely call someone out for saying or liking something stupid as long as you don’t followup it with ten more posts with fire so and so hashtags.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

No I'm gonna blame it on the people that do it not this roundabout thing to make sure the blame stays on the side you've chosen to be against

• Haha
Reactions: Hoss