Matt Striker Released

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
Horrible. I like him both as a wrestler and as an announcer. Shame he kept getting shoved to the side.

Pretty much my thoughts though I kinda preferred him as a manager than as a wrestler I guess (mainly because I didn't see too much of him as a wrestler or at least can't remember).

Thing that annoys me though is that I liked his run on commentary and was kinda annoyed at some of the (seemingly) unprofessional attitudes shown by Lawler and even Cole at times on live PPV's and even some DVD's (I could swear on the 10th Anniversary Smackdown DVD for instance that Cole was really showing he didn't want to be working with him - but that's my impression of that). Striker seemingly tried to be civil; granted I could see why he might be annoying to a degree to some people, but it almost seemed hypocritical for him to be judged by those 2 of all people.

They're all limited by WWE's set standards of commentating, but Striker was more interesting to listen to. JBL (particularly in the past) and Striker have both done a better job of making me pay at least a little more attention to the guy(s) they're praising in the ring than present day Lawler (who I find boring, stale and repetitive) and Cole is absolutely annoying when he "jokes around" and promotes things (granted he's shown respect-worthy moments like when Lawler had to be taken away) - i'd rather listen to Striker talk about an interesting but perhaps irrelevant long-winded fact than hear anything Cole has to say on commentary though to be honest.

I thought it was absurd that he was pretty much demoted to the pointless "backstage interviewer" role and now he's released? A waste IMO, while Cole and Lawler make me want to mute the TV almost every episode. And "friendly bickering" JBL as the third man (i'm actually sorry to say) just doesn't balance it out for me.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
iv'e Never cared that much about him.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Hit and miss, but mostly quite solid, think he is a bit unlucky, not least when that clueless punts Lawler still has a job.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Poor move by WWE. As a wrestler he didn't stand out but he brought so much to the company outside the ring.

First of all as a manager, he was brilliant as Big Daddy V's manager and helped build him into a relevant and over monster again on ECW.

His commentary work with Grisham on ECW was really enjoyable and it was nice to have a colour commetator that actually discussed the moves and the wrestlers in the ring rather than trying to get themselves over. I always liked how he would go into detail about how the certain move would impact on the wrestler that it was applied to and I liked the history lessons that he would add into the broadcasts. Plus he was one of few commentators that actually shut up when big things are happening in the ring and when others are talking. If he was commentating on RAW last week he would have remained quiet when Colter was cutting his promo rather than ruining the segment like Cole and JBL did.

I also liked the work that he did on the recent DVD releases, he is a good host because he knows wrestling history and he is clearly a fan. When he was on the DVDs you could see that he was enjoying himself rather that just doing it because he had to. Should be colour commentator on Smackdown with Josh Matthews leaving Cole and JBL for RAW.

How does Scott Stanford keep his job ahead of Striker? Striker is so superior as a commentator and can do so much more than Stanford. Still he had a good run in WWE that started in the most bizarre circumstances.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
I always liked how he would go into detail about how the certain move would impact on the wrestler

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's something he did have over the other commentators. While the other commentators have "painted a picture" so to speak in regards to what the move is or what it's doing, Striker did a great job when going into detail/illustrating and describing what's happening and why etc .

I do feel that (at least during the first run with himself and Cole on commentary) JBL did have a few things slightly over Striker, but Striker's commentating had its own merits.

If he was commentating on RAW last week he would have remained quiet when Colter was cutting his promo rather than ruining the segment like Cole and JBL did.

To be honest, i'm not sure about this part. Once upon a time "objective" Michael Cole (from his Smackdown days) was a lot less annoying and wasn't constantly talking (or joking around) as much as he is now. And Lawler (plus JBL as you said) all have that nasty habit. Maybe it's just me here, but I kinda get the impression that they're encouraged to do that.

It's been said in the past that Cole used to cop criticism from Vince over his headset and how he was under a lot of pressure in recent years. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that at the very least WWE are ok (or perhaps even pushing) with his current efforts since it's been the same for a while.

Aside from the apparent dislike that Lawler and Cole had for Striker in particular (and it being a possible awkward reason why he might not talk), it's possible he too might've been encouraged or inclined to do the same. Personally I just think WWE's standards and expectations of their commentators and their style is bad enough anyway.

Last edited:

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
He was doomed from the moment he started showing Cole and Jerry up for the rambling incompetent morons they are, it was only a matter of time before WWE didn't need a backstage interviewer and cut him.

Typical WWE though, the best commentator they have is demoted and wasted away while we're stuck having to put up with Coles 3 jokes and creepy old senile Lawler.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Bit of a shame. He wasn't the most polished commentator in the world, but his knowledge of wrestling was a joy to listen to at times. Definitely one of the better commentators WWE had.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Yeah, he was quite the wrestling historian, I always thought he should have been utilized better.

CGS

Reaction score
Striker's downfall was pretty much that he cared too damn much for the industry and the company as a whole. Due to that he came across as very smarky at times. Shame really.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yeah, now that you mention it, that's something he did have over the other commentators. While the other commentators have "painted a picture" so to speak in regards to what the move is or what it's doing, Striker did a great job when going into detail/illustrating and describing what's happening and why etc .

I do feel that (at least during the first run with himself and Cole on commentary) JBL did have a few things slightly over Striker, but Striker's commentating had its own merits.

I like JBL as a colour commentator as well but he can be used on RAW, rather than using both JBL and Lawler, which then frees up Smackdown for Stiker.

Twist of Fate said:
To be honest, i'm not sure about this part. Once upon a time "objective" Michael Cole (from his Smackdown days) was a lot less annoying and wasn't constantly talking (or joking around) as much as he is now. And Lawler (plus JBL as you said) all have that nasty habit. Maybe it's just me here, but I kinda get the impression that they're encouraged to do that.

It's been said in the past that Cole used to cop criticism from Vince over his headset and how he was under a lot of pressure in recent years. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that at the very least WWE are ok (or perhaps even pushing) with his current efforts since it's been the same for a while.

Aside from the apparent dislike that Lawler and Cole had for Striker in particular (and it being a possible awkward reason why he might not talk), it's possible he too might've been encouraged or inclined to do the same. Personally I just think WWE's standards and expectations of their commentators and their style is bad enough anyway.

I don't know, I doubt that WWE would have wanted Cole and JBL to completely bury the angle which is what they did by talking over that entire promo. They may have wanted Cole to mention that Colter hiring a foreigner was hypocritical but on rebuttal JBL could have said that Cesaro came to the country the right way and ended the discussion there. I can't see why Vince would have encourage them to talk throughout the entire promo.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
I like JBL as a colour commentator as well but he can be used on RAW, rather than using both JBL and Lawler, which then frees up Smackdown for Stiker./

Yeah, i'm really not a fan of the 3-man team on RAW so personally I would very much prefer what you're suggesting there. I'm not even sure why they actually have the current setup they do in the first place. Haven't watched Smackdown in a little while so not sure what the situation is there anymore.

Seems Vince was pretty adamant about taking JR off TV a few years back, but part of me wonders why they continue to use King - particularly with the whole "young star initiative" thing they had going a while back and in having guys like Vince staying off TV. While JR's always great to listen to, King's boring as hell (at least for the most part IMO) and has been for years now, so why do they continue to use him?

I don't know, I doubt that WWE would have wanted Cole and JBL to completely bury the angle which is what they did by talking over that entire promo. They may have wanted Cole to mention that Colter hiring a foreigner was hypocritical but on rebuttal JBL could have said that Cesaro came to the country the right way and ended the discussion there. I can't see why Vince would have encourage them to talk throughout the entire promo.

Maybe, but then to be fair us fans are left scratching our heads over a lot of things Vince decides or allows though. While he likely wouldn't have "instructed them to" as such though, I wouldn't be surprised if he just overlooked it. Meh, we'd be speculating at best there. Personally though I think a lot of the commentating is annoying and tends to ruin a lot moments in general though.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yeah, i'm really not a fan of the 3-man team on RAW so personally I would very much prefer what you're suggesting there. I'm not even sure why they actually have the current setup they do in the first place. Haven't watched Smackdown in a little while so not sure what the situation is there anymore.

Seems Vince was pretty adamant about taking JR off TV a few years back, but part of me wonders why they continue to use King - particularly with the whole "young star initiative" thing they had going a while back and in having guys like Vince staying off TV. While JR's always great to listen to, King's boring as hell (at least for the most part IMO) and has been for years now, so why do they continue to use him?

On Smackdown it is now JBL and Cole commentating so there isn't even a spot for Josh Matthews right now. I don't know why they have so much cross over with the commentary team these days, prefer a different pair for each show to give it a unique sound.

It is an interesting point that you bring up regarding JR. Lawler is 63, two years older than JR, so I wonder why he continues to keep his spot even though he is getting on in age. He has been stale for quite some time but Vince seems to be a big fan of his and so he won't be gone anytime soon.

Twist of Fate said:
Maybe, but then to be fair us fans are left scratching our heads over a lot of things Vince decides or allows though. While he likely wouldn't have "instructed them to" as such though, I wouldn't be surprised if he just overlooked it. Meh, we'd be speculating at best there. Personally though I think a lot of the commentating is annoying and tends to ruin a lot moments in general though.

True it is practically impossible to determine what the actual intent was but whatever the reason it was a terrible way to get over the new addition to Colter's group. Commentary for years has been on the decline because they don't do enough to put over the guys in the ring anymore.