Matt Morgan: Blueprint or Blue in the Face?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

dstebbins

Reaction score
TNA promotes Matt Morgan as been “the Blueprintâ€￾ wrestler, the kind of wrestler that Dr. Frankenstein would create if he were into wrestling. But is he really the perfect wrestler or way overhyped? I'm going to give a thorough analysis of Matt Morgan as a performer, and make a very informed decision of just how much of a “blueprintâ€￾ he really is.

Imposing figure: *****
Matt Morgan stands seven feet tall. He weighs over three hundred pounds, and it's not fat like Kane or the Big Show; it's muscle. With wash board abs, biceps the size of basketballs, and lean, shapely legs, Matt Morgan probably turns heads from ladies and gay guys everywhere.

Power skills: *****
By “power skillsâ€￾ I mean his ability to pull off impressive power moves. This is something he has in spades as well. Double arm chokeslams, running side slams, huge clotheslines, and a headbutt like Vladimer Koslov, he is truly a master of power moves.

Mat skills: ****
We haven't seen Morgan do a lot of mat wrestling, possibly because he can't give an inch and it look believable (when it becomes a mat match, the man with more weight has a superior advantage, and Morgan weighs more than anyone in TNA except Abyss), but what we have seen is pretty good. He can do hammerlocks, arm wrenches, and full nelsons pretty well. It's above average, but he shouldn't base his entire arsenal on it.

Stamina: ***
Matt Morgan looks like he could go for half an hour non-stop (if he pays just as much attention to his cardio as he does his physique), but we haven't seen him in the ring for more than ten minutes at a time. He needs to have a friggin' feud that will take him to a PPV, where he'll have more time to wrestle and push himself to his limit. Until then, I give him a middle ground of 3 stars.

Speed: ****
Matt Morgan is in phenomenal shape, and his legs look like they can carry him pretty fast. There are probably some X Division guys who are faster, though.

Agility: *
Here's the weak point. Sure, he looks pretty nimble going to the ring when he jumps up and down from foot to foot, but do you think he'll ever be a believable X Division champion? I doubt it. Can he pull off hurricanranas? Moonsaults (even off the top of a ladder)? Even corckscrew splashes? I don't think so.

Mic Skills: **
Matt Morgan is the kind of guy who can write good promos, but he doesn't have the right voice to cut them. His voice is very high pitched for a big man, and that does not lend itself well to promo-cutting. Perhaps they should get him a manager and turn him heel. Have his manager cut promos for him, and maybe it will be more believable.

Total: 24/35 = 68.6%
Is Matt Morgan truly the “Blueprintâ€￾ of wrestling? I'd say not. Is he world champion caliber? Maybe one day, but a blueprint needs to be at least four stars in every talent branch. If you want a blueprint wrestler, try Brock Lesnar. He could brawl, he could do power moves, he could fly, he could talk, and he had an imposing figure. Matt Morgan is not the blueprint.

chessarmy

Great thread, rep+ btw. But yea, I agree with you. Matt Morgan is being over hyped by TNA and I don't think he really is the "blueprint" that they are billing him as. Honestly though, I think it might be a little too early to evaluate him. He hasn't been in any big feuds yet, and we haven't seen him on any long PPV matches or anything, so he could actually be much better than what we have seen of him. But so far, Matt Morgan hasn't impressed me much, and he is far from a "blueprint" wrestler.

Millzy Pt. 2

Reaction score
Matt Morgan isn't a blueprint wrestler, but everyone knows that the TNA bookers are gonna give him a big push. I can't really see him as a heel since he gets crowd-play already. But I can't see him doing promos, he's gonna need a manager but it sucks that James Mitchell isn't with TNA anymore.

lord batair

Reaction score
I think it might be a little too early to evaluate him.

So true ^^
But it's always the same when a company want to push some wrestler, the nicknames can be a little excessives.

But he's surely one good card to play for TNA, so please Mr Russo don't switch again his gimmick for something else, give the fans the time ^^

Montana

The guy seems to be all bark and no bite. I've seen 10x promos and hype videos and maybe 1-2 matches vs. Jobbers. He barely gets much of a reaction. The question is can Matt Morgan carry a interesting fued, and my answer is no.

Plus his squash matches are super boring. He acts like goldberg and thats just sad. cool finisher though.

All in all, i hate matt morgan.

Soulpower

He acts like Brock Lesnar

Fixed that up for you Montana >_>

I won't rate him, its too early for that. I understand why he gets so much hype, the dude has a great look, and he's incredibly athletic for a man his size. I do agree with Montana. We don't know whether or not he can carry a feud right now, and to be honest, the squash matches are getting quite boring. I say put him in a feud, and let him sink or swim... He can't wrestle jobbers forever.

dstebbins

Reaction score
Well, it seems he's getting into a feud with Tomko (I can't watch Impact tonight cuz my cable's screwing up, so I don't know what happens tonight, though).

Now, I will give Matt Morgan this: He makes for one hell of a true athlete. In case you didn't know, he plays Beast on American Gladiators, and he's quite good at it. He's a good athlete in real life, I just don't think he's a good wrestler. Not every douchebag who likes wrestling has the ability to be a wrestler; I have first-hand knowledge of that. I'm training to be a wrestling manager, but my trainers is trying to teach me everything about wrestling, including reffing, announcing, and even camera work, and I SUCK at wrestling.

Soulpower

Well, it seems he's getting into a feud with Tomko

Tomko:No

He's no longer with TNA.

xtremebadass

Matt Morgan needs to get off his damn high horse, the biggest thing he has ever done was join Team Lesnar at Survivor Series and be Carlito's bodyguard. If you ask me, I don't know which one is worse. One he was with Carlito, ew, then the other he was on the same team as Nathan Jones. Both seem pretty bad, but then there was that little stint with him stuttering all the time, that sucked as well.

If you as me, Robert Roode or James Storm have more of a reputation to be calling themselves future World Champs, Mr. Blueprint "I Will Plan You Out" needs to get his head out of his ass.

Enigma22

Reaction score
hes not supposed to be the blue print wrestler, hes the blue print big man. so imo that takes away the agility rating and mic skills arent really factored into the rating cause its a kayfabe nickname so imo ur ratings really give him a 21/25 which is pretty damn good.

dstebbins

Reaction score
hes not supposed to be the blue print wrestler, hes the blue print big man. so imo that takes away the agility rating and mic skills arent really factored into the rating cause its a kayfabe nickname so imo ur ratings really give him a 21/25 which is pretty damn good.

Can you provide citation that he's not supposed to be a blueprint wrestler?

Reaction score
I hear that Morgan is doing well on American Gladiators. That won't do much for his wrestling.

So far I've been underwhelmed. I want to like him. He just hasn't been paired up with the right guy to put him over and make him look like a future champion. Perhaps Mr. Foley could help?

dstebbins

Reaction score
How can Mick Foley help Matt Morgan? He's in WWE? Morgan's in TNA.

Austin_316

Reaction score
I dunno what the big deal with Matt Morgan is i think he is useless and they are only pushing him because of his size and strength. If he was that good in the first place WWE wouldnt have got rid of him.

Reaction score
How can Mick Foley help Matt Morgan? He's in WWE? Morgan's in TNA.

Thanks Capt. Obvious. I was alluding to the rumors of Foley coming to TNA. Foley's reputation is putting younger wrestlers over. Making them legit, as it were.