AMA Matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lethal

Tiffy Time
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
fnexxBT
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
LMoHyDQ
I'd like to weigh in that I think the strength of the promo/s should have some bearing on the quality of the match writeup.

For example, some of my earlier promos were gash and thus the match wouldn't really need much to show that I lost. However, the promos that Jeff and I put in for Shinzo vs Norman were my best ever work and I'd be a little pissed to devote hours of IRL time for a very good promo to be written up in a summary format.

Would it be out of the realms to invoke word limits to matches even? Like title matches have say, 10k words (ballpark, idk how long they be) and regular matches like 2k? Reduces the workload for the writers for the non-title matches, but still makes the promo cutters feel as though their effort is warranted and doesn't go over?

I love reading the shows, usually on the train to university and/or work I'll knock off chunks here and there.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
A pretty fair point

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
I don't think I've ever written a match longer than 3K words - apart from a Royal Rumble.

Nor do I think I'd want to.

Lethal

Tiffy Time
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
fnexxBT
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
LMoHyDQ
That's why I said ballpark lol. I'm happy with 200 words for my BTB writeups.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
I do think some people write better long matches and some people better short matches though - so its always one of those things. Where people are left wondering - how come I got a shorter matches.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Basically, ill write wtv u guys want (yes i realize im the one holding up.the show).as smark said above in this case it was more irl stuff / motivation rather than lenght. Im confident i can write good matches in wtv u guys prefer. N i wouldnt want to.insult someomes work by writimg super bland so no need to worry

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Might be useful @King Switch if u give us writers a ball park match lenght ? Short medium long epic as the 4 categories? Whats your opinion on that hombre?

Reactions: Lethal

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I think to add, I do kind of try to have some representation of promo quality in my matches which do add length. Over the years I have also tried to do some ideas from the people involved and from other creative. Although there are some I have veto'ed (like someone suggested a manager do a Phoenix fucking Splash) I have done some ideas. Sometimes even look at people's promos to get ideas so that I use their stories from the promos into the match. My matches also just tend to be longer for a few reasons. One is just I've gotten to have a detailed style. Another is a history of writing at times where I was legit fearful of people's reactions from match results so I compensated by making better matches to soften the blow (didn't work) then just sometimes I plan too much and then just add more. If it is a time issue, then my match size is usually not an issue for me in terms of getting matches out because I initially only had one match to write this show due to exams coming right after and it is a decent length due to said quality of the promos. I finished that within a few days. But as @Judge Juicy said, everyone is different where some writers are best at writing matches that get to the point, others are better at giving their matches room, and it is a matter of preference and style and it isn't one true way or another.

That is why in response to what Blaine said about my example related to Smark's idea that the length can vary just depending on the match and the person writing. It was just an idea as a compromise between the two "extremes" of match vs quick summary. But I guess whenever I write a match or a summary, I always have goals in mind.

A good example, while long, is the Tag Turmoil I wrote last show as I had 5 teams in it, and with 5 teams in total, three teams cutting promos, and two feuds to spin out of it, I had a lot to set up. (I also finished it on time, haha :p)

The key players of the match, The Residence, the Boudreaux's, and the Northern Touch all had individual stories to show.

Jonny and I knew we wanted to kind of show The Residence's strategy evolving based on opponents. That way we are separated from Malice to show we aren't like a chaotic violence. Our characters are cerebral. So the initial two jobbers they just went full ruthlessness, trying not to take them lightly. Then Malice, being they are chaotic fighters, began the match by toying with them, avoiding fights and just getting them riled up. The Bourdeux's had a rookie who is a novice, so they isolated her, even holding up her dazed body and taunting Bret with it just to get in his head, but the attack from Malice wore them down and it failed.

As for the Bourdeux's, as I mentioned, they had the dynamic of being siblings, Bret being Trixie's protector and Trixie being new, but capable of taking damage. Welsh mentioned the spot of Bret saying "OH, well, uhh, they killed Milo!" as a comedic moment and Welsh even wanted Trixie to take a beating like just to show her tenacity. Things could have been made shorter with The Residence's attack they suffered, but because of the fact the Bourdeux's were faces and one of them were learning on the fly, it didn't really fit as well. But Trixie lasted longer than The Residence thought, they were too tired to isolate her, Bret came in, and got the win. During the last fall, Bret was hesitant to tag in Trixie due to her damage because he cares about his sister and didn't want her to get hurt bad.

Then finally the Northern Touch. Reading their promos and even writing their qualifier from earlier, I got one idea. They were riding high and thought they were untouchable. Which made sense, you have a rookie as one of your opponents who has a hard time grasping basic wrestling ideas, she's beaten up, you had rest between matches. So they are somewhat even against Bret, though have the numbers game, and when Trixie gets in, they go to town, but their over confidence leads to mistakes, and (a common theme) they under-estimated how hard headed this girl is, and that ended up costing them their match and lead well into the segment later on, and gives stuff for Pat, Welsh, and Jeff to build on for their rematch and storyline.

Last edited:
Reactions: WelshyBOI and Alexa

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
@Princess Rosé
@Jimmy King
@Canadian Dragon

Can I count on you all to take 2-3 match summaries and 3-5 segments each show?

It appears as though we’ll have to give this new direction a try.

I’d also love any other volunteers.

Reactions: Jimmy King

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Well, I guess I'm e-fed staff now basically. And for the summer, yes. School year, we'll see.
Fair, but these would only be summaries. I don’t need fully written matches. Two writers quitting this week forced our hand on this.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Fair, but these would only be summaries. I don’t need fully written matches. Two writers quitting this week forced our hand on this.

Pulled it down into an Armbar Thatcher style.

• Haha
Reactions: Alexa

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
@Blainebino did you want to give match summaries a try?

Reactions: TOP GUY TIME

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Promise me you'll ban Jeff for a day, and I'll take a match or two.