Match by Match - A Review of The Undertaker's WWE Career

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
main-qimg-727e5f397c9284e9d855793d5f7b2795-lq

Here's the goal for this. The plan is to review every television match of The Undertaker in WWF/WWE history. Now while I say every, I don't necessarily mean every. I will likely skip most Superstars/Wrestling Challenge matches. The goal is to hit at least every Pay-Per-View, RAW, Smackdown and maybe Heat match of the Undertaker that there is. I have done some research and we're looking at over 500 matches total, so we will see how this project goes!

I plan to rate each match on the standard 5 star system we all know. Important note though, we're only rating the Undertaker's participation in the match in the case of multi-man matches.

I also plan to give each match a letter grade, ranked as: S+, S, A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, F. This is more of an overall presentation grade that could hit a lot of factors (storyline, entrances, general Undertaker-ness, etc.)

Hopefully I can get through this and hopefully this ends up as a lot of fun!

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I agree doing the B and C shows is unrealistic but may I request you make sure you include the HHH match from Shotgun Saturday Night where they fought at the subway station I believe it was.

I would also include Heat bc Taker only had matches during the first couple years when it was a more important show

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
I agree doing the B and C shows is unrealistic but may I request you make sure you include the HHH match from Shotgun Saturday Night where they fought at the subway station I believe it was.

I would also include Heat bc Taker only had matches during the first couple years when it was a more important show
The Shotgun Saturday Night match IS on the list! There are also some random others sprinkled throughout.

I can only do Heat if I can find it or if it's on the Network. I do have the 1998 and 1999 matches on the list currently.

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
What? No WCW Mean Mark love? That is disappointing.

Just joking of course... I'd love to see you maybe check his WCW matches out as well, but either way, this project's gonna be a must read for me. I'm pretty sure Taker is the Wrestler that's been in my Top of all Time list for the longest, so this gonna be good.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Mean Mark had a good match against Luger on a clash or maybe even PPV sometime in 1990

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
Mean Mark had a good match against Luger on a clash or maybe even PPV sometime in 1990
That sounds about right. It's definitely worth a look at, even if it's just to appreciate the whole path he walked in the business.

He also had a Match against Pillman and then there are the Skyscrapers Matches of course. Especially vs. the Road Warriors and apparently there was a Four-On-Three handicap Match with Doom teaming up with the Skyscrapers against the Steiners and Road Warrior Animal... which sounds like a beautiful car crash of a Match to watch. :lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Time to steal this but with Jeff Jarrett matches.

In all seriousness - good luck with this, man. Should be a fun (hopefully not last) ride.

Stojy

Reaction score
Yeah, this is an awesome idea. Will try and follow on as much as I can. Good luck with it!

Reactions: RDT

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Undertaker-Match-By-Match.jpg

The Early Years – From Darkness to Light (1990-1992)

Before we get started, let’s go into how we got to The Undertaker character. According to Bruce Pritchard, he was aware of Mark Calaway from his days in the Texas territory. Calaway was working in WCW as “Mean” Mark in 1990, when Paul Heyman (Calaway’s manager in WCW) called Pritchard (who was working closely with Vince McMahon in the WWF) to gauge interest in Calaway. Prichard insisted to McMahon that Calaway was a special talent. McMahon initially had little interest, but upon meeting Calaway face-to-face ended up falling for him. Pritchard, who also had been working as Brother Love, claims he came up with “Kane the Undertaker” from the Biblical story of Cain and Abel. Pritchard looked to be his manager. Creative came up with the look.

On Broken Skull Sessions, Calaway explained that Ole Anderson had told him he was never going to make big money in the business, which led to him sending feelers to the WWF. His biggest concern? That the WWF was promoting the upcoming Survivor Series Pay-Per-View event by wheeling around a giant egg. Calaway said that his anxiety went through the roof, thinking that he was going to be the “Eggman” (how’s that for a BTB what-if?). Luckily, when Vince called him, he asked for The Undertaker. Calaway responded: “Hell yeah this is the Undertaker.” (A fun fact, Calaway’s last WCW/NWA match was on a house show against Sting).

While there were some Superstars tapings to test out the “Kane the Undertaker” gimmick, those shows would not be aired until after the 1990 Survivor Series. As part of a feud between “The Million Dollar Man” Ted Dibiase and Dusty Rhodes, Dibiase’s Million Dollar Team would face Dusty’s Dream Team. Only the Million Dollar Team was one man short...

Match 1: Survivor Series - The Million Dollar Team (Ted Dibiase, Greg Valentine, Honky Tonk Man, and The Undertaker) vs. The Dream Team (Dusty Rhodes, Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, and Koko B. Ware)
Survivor Series 1990 (11/22/90)

You never know what you’ll get with these random gimmicks, but when The Undertaker walked out the guy looked like one of the most intimidating wrestlers ever. Gorilla Monsoon and Roddy Piper on commentary immediately put over Taker’s size as he walks down to the ring with Brother Love. Everything about the presentation works. The camera angles, the commentary, saying he’s from Death Valley, everything. We’re still a ways away from getting the lighting and the walk down the aisle down, but hey, this is just the debut.

We don’t even have to wait either, as Bret Hart starts with Taker. Taker gets a choke, stopping Bret in his tracks. Bret quickly tags in Anvil, and Neidhart can’t move Taker at all. Taker slams Neidhart with ease and Neidhart tags in Koko. Koko gets a full head of steam, but runs right into Undertaker throwing him throat first onto the ropes. Undertaker picks up Koko and plants him with the first ever Tombstone, and that’s it for Koko. Bret gets back in and fires away at Undertaker, who no-sells all of it and tags in Valentine. Taker shoots Bret a glare before slowly walking to the apron.

After a few minutes of the Dream Team getting back into the match and eliminating Honky Tonk Man, Dibiase gets an assist from Virgil to eliminate Neidhart. Bret and Dusty pound away on Dibiase…until Dibiase escapes and tags Undertaker back in. Undertaker hits a flying stomp, which looked a little weird but likely very different for the time. Dusty manages to tag in Bret, but Taker gains control with a choke before tagging Valentine back in. Moments later Dibiase escapes Dusty again and tags in Undertaker. No one is getting any offense on Taker as he takes down Dusty with a knee to the midsection. Undertaker heads to the top rope and drops an axhandle smash on Dusty to finish him, leaving Bret alone. Bret fires away at Taker, but Taker tags out. Dusty goes after Brother Love, and while Undertaker makes the save, he gets counted out. A small botch somewhere there, because Taker definitely tagged out to Valentine before going out to save Brother Love, but no biggie. Dibiase would eventually win the match over Bret.

Rating: ***1/4 (3.25 stars)
Grade: A+

This was certainly an effective way to build a new monster. Undertaker got to do some cool things in the ring, and while his moments in the match were segmented, they were all pretty good. The tombstone on Koko especially looked vicious. They found the right guys to bump off Undertaker and it was probably no secret that Bret Hart got to start with him, even if they didn’t do that much. Presentation wise the character clearly came off as an unstoppable heel with no one having an idea of what to do with him. Pinning Dusty Rhodes was also no small deal.

With the Kane named dropped, Undertaker would wrestle on house shows, Superstars and Wrestling Challenge against enhancement talents mostly. He would pick up a couple of victories against Tugboat in dark matches on those shows. You can probably find the Superstars matches on the Network, but I’m not going to add these two-minute squashes to the list. The next time we’d see Undertaker on a major show would be the Royal Rumble, where he was an entrant.

Match 2: Royal Rumble
1991 Royal Rumble (1/19/91)

Undertaker
comes in at #12. One thing that’s worth noting is that he marches down to the ring rather quickly, something that makes him feel like every other heel as opposed to what we would get used to. This is a minor thing though. He immediately eliminates Bret Hart (poor Bret so far) then chokes away at The Texas Tornado Kerry Von Erich. Von Erich fires punches, and Taker barely sells them before dropping Von Erich with one punch. Undertaker fires a vicious headbutt at Hercules. Taker sends Bushwacker Butch flying out with ease. Taker then continues to work on Von Erich, choking him at pretty much every moment he can. Greg Valentine drops an elbow on Undertaker from the second rope, but Taker still doesn’t go down.

Tito Santana and Kerry Von Erich punch away at Undertaker and try to get him out, but there’s no luck there. Undertaker goes back to choking before Jimmy Snuka gets some good shots in, and we see Undertaker actually sell some headbutts. Taker goes back to the choke. Taker then goes to work on the British Bulldog. Hawk comes in like a house of fire, and he and Undertaker trade shots. Honestly Hawk and Taker added a fire to this match that really wasn’t there so far. It’s easy to forget how good Hawk could be when motivated. Undertaker eventually chokes Hawk down, but Animal comes in. Undertaker dumps out Kerry Von Erich, then gets a double choke on the Legion of Doom. L.O.D. break free and double clothesline Undertaker out. The crowd erupt when that happens, showing that the Undertaker character is working. Hulk Hogan would eventually win the Rumble.

Rating: *1/2 (1.5)
Grade: A-

Undertaker had his moments but there was a lot of choking in this one. Granted, it’s a Royal Rumble so he doesn’t have the whole ring to himself. That being said, the presentation will still very good, with Taker eliminating three guys and still not getting knocked off his feet. The crowd is clearly into him based on the pop when he gets eliminated. Being eliminated by both members of the Legion of Doom is solid protective booking too.

The WWF would hold specials in Madison Square Garden and on MSG TV as a result. A couple of days after the Rumble, we’d get to see Undertaker in a singles match against a real opponent.

Match 3: The Undertaker vs. Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka
WWF on MSG (1/21/91)

Snuka
chases Brother Love around the ring, before Undertaker just stands in the way, stopping Snuka in his tracks. In the ring Taker pounds away on Snuka before Undertaker chokes him on the ropes. Bobby Heenan is on commentary and is already putting Taker over huge. Snuka gets some momentum and ducks a clothesline, only to leap into Undertaker’s arms and get slammed down. Taker misses a big elbowdrop Snuka easily takes him down with a flying headbutt (first time Taker goes down due to someone taking him down). Taker quickly bails to the outside. Snuka gets a headlock, but can’t do anything with Taker. He tries to get the crowd into it, but Takes just drives him down. We get some more choking before a Taker backdrop attempt is countered with a headbutt. Snuka gets some chops, but Taker takes Snuka down with a knee to the midsection. Undertaker hits a legdrop and gets great height with it. Snuka makes another comeback with headbutts and chops, even knocking Undertaker down with another. Undertaker sits up slowly, which Heenan puts over like a million dollars. More chops and headbutts from Snuka. Snuka tries a twisting crossbody from the corner, but Undertaker catches him and plants him with the Tombstone for the win. Heenan makes a big deal of the victory, although he may be practicing for Wrestlemania.

Grade: B+

It makes sense that the aging Snuka would be a name that got fed to Undertaker early on, but Snuka’s offense was literally just headbutts and chops. Undertaker showed some new things which worked (sitting up and the legdrop), but his offense is a lot of choking in the ropes (I don’t think anyone praises early-era Undertaker for his workrate though). I didn’t like how easily Snuka knocked down Undertaker either, although that’s made up by Bobby Heenan making the Undertaker sound like the most dangerous wrestler he’s ever seen. Snuka was a big deal in the Garden, so this was a huge win.

Undertaker
would be paired with Tugboat throughout the house show circuit. They would wrestle on Primetime Wrestling, although the version I found seems to be a special named Stars and Stripes Forever. The banner says Primetime Wrestling though, so we’ll go with that. Note: for taped shows, we’ll use the broadcast date.

It was also around this time that Brother Love introduced the world to “brother Bearer”.

Match 4: The Undertaker vs. Tugboat
Primetime Wrestling (3/17/91)

Undertaker
attacks Tugboat immediately as he enters the ring. Undertaker pounds away on him, then follows up with a Stinger Splash. Undertaker tries another one but Tugboat moves. Tugboat goes for a slam, but Undertaker shifts his weight for a two count. Undertaker misses an elbow drop, but he recovers when he comes off the ropes and hits his signature flying clothesline. Undertaker chokes Tugboat before trying for a backdrop. Tugboat counters and tries to slam Taker again, but the same thing as earlier happens as Undertaker shifts his weight and lands on him (weird that they did that twice). Flying kneedrop from Undertaker, but he misses with the elbowdrop again. Powerslam from Tugboat, but Undertaker just gets right up. Tugboat misses an avalanche, which then suddenly Undertaker leaps (yes leaps) over the top rope to the apron and to the top rope. He steps on the actual rope and hits a flying elbow drop, and that gets the three.

Rating: ** (2)

Fun squash here! Not a lot of choking here which unsurprisingly made the match better. Paul Bearer and his mannerisms are an excellent addition to the character. The look of the character was also coming together as well. Taker still did some weird things (that leap over the top rope was completely unexpected), but the character was clearly coming together.

Undertaker would actually have a WWF on MSG match with Tugboat around this time as well, but I can’t find it. I can’t imagine it’s much different than the match we just went over. Up next is Undertaker’s first one-on-one Wrestlemania encounter.

Wrestlemania7.png

Match 5: The Undertaker vs. Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka
Wrestlemania VII (3/24/91)

Undertaker
and Snuka stare one another down before Snuka turns his back and Undertaker attacks. Undertaker pounds away on him before going for the choke. Undertaker hits the flying clothesline. Some more choking before Snuka reverses an Irish whip, but Taker shuts that down immediately. Undertaker brings him in the hard way with a nice suplex. Taker misses the elbow and Snuka gets in his headbutts and chops. Snuka dives at Taker but Taker ducks and Snuka impales himself on the ropes. Snuka tries to get back in and hits Undertaker with another headbutt (with Gorilla Monsoon calling Snuka a “phenom”, how ironic). Snuka tries a springboard crossbody, but he’s caught by Taker. Take nails Snuka with a punch then plants him with the Tombstone to start the Streak.

Rating: * (1)

While this was definitely a worse match than their MSG encounter, it was a much stronger squash. Snuka got almost nothing and didn’t knock down Taker once. The finish was botched a little bit as Undertaker was supposed to catch him, but it didn’t look like Snuka got enough height anyway. Snuka represented a name for Undertaker to squash on his way up. With that as the expectation, mission accomplished.

After Wrestlemania, the Undertaker was given a new opponent for the house show circuit: the Ultimate Warrior. This is obviously a huge jump as Warrior was one of the top guys in the company and was fresh off of retiring Randy Savage at Wrestlemania. Even more impressive, Warrior would only beat Undertaker by DQ on the initial set of house show runs. After three months of non-finishes in Warrior-Undertaker matches, the concept of the Body Bag match was introduced. One of these even made it to MSG Network TV.

Match 6: Body Bag Match - The Undertaker vs. The Ultimate Warrior
WWF on MSG (7/1/1991)

Undertaker
gets a big pop from the Madison Square Garden crowd, and some of the camera shots really hit the spooky look (including one where Taker just looks like a silhouette). The hair is less frizzled, now wet and long. Obviously the Garden goes nuts for the Warrior. Taker doesn’t even let him get in the ring, and they end up fighting on the outside. Warrior slams Taker into the steps and post, and Undertaker barely sells the post shot. Warrior pummels Taker until Taker catches him with a clothesline out of the corner. Flying clothesline knocks Warrior down. Taker moves to the choke, but Warrior eventually makes the comeback with a big slam. Warrior gets some momentum before Undertaker hits him with a big boot. Taker of course misses the elbow, but then Warrior misses one of his own.

Undertaker goes back to working the choke, but the Warrior makes a huge comeback and busts out a piledriver! Warrior then spikes Undertaker with another one…and Taker sits up! Three piledrivers from the Warrior, and Taker can’t get up. Undertaker blocks the running splash by lifting his arm up, which was a little awkward. Undertaker spikes Warrior with the Tombstone, then tries to trap Warrior in the body bag. The Warrior makes his comeback and start knocking Undertaker down with clotheslines. Warrior steals the urn from Paul Bearer and smacks Undertaker over the head with it, and that gives Warrior enough time to zip Taker in the bag and win the match. Undertaker actually sits up in the bag and gets back to his feet instantly, which was actually a bit creepy.

Grade: A

This match was way better than I expected it to be. It had slow points, sure, but when Warrior started busting out piledrivers I was taken aback. I knew the result coming in, so I was curious how Undertaker was going to be protected in the loss (if he would be at all). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Warrior needed to use a weapon AND Undertaker recovered immediately. Undertaker looked like a monster once again despite the loss, and other parts of the character were coming together.

Obviously Vince was happy with how Undertaker was doing. Not only was Taker feuding and being competitive with the #2 babyface in the company, but there’s a July Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan WWF Title Dark Match that takes place as well. The whole match isn’t available so I won’t rate it, but there is some footage on Youtube:

We aren’t finished with Undertaker and Warrior yet though. They introduced another match type, one that would stick with the Undertaker for his entire career. This isn’t the first casket match between them as they did have a couple on the house show circuit, but it’s one of the first.

Match 7: Casket Match - The Undertaker vs. The Ultimate Warrior
Dark Match (8/19/1991)

Undertaker
has the look down pat at this point. They start the match the same way they did their MSG match, with Taker not letting Warrior get into the ring and Warrior slamming him into the steps on the outside. Warrior slugs Taker and sends him into the corner, before Taker knocks him down with a clothesline of his own. Taker chokes Warrior, but Warrior fights out. Big slam from Warrior. Warrior begins hitting Taker with clotheslines, but when going for a backdrop Taker catches him with an uppercut. We get the Tombstone from Undertaker, although it’s not a great one. Warrior fights getting dumped into the casket, but Taker chokes him out. Taker can’t close the lid and Warrior smacks Taker with the urn (that for some reason Paul Bearer had put in the casket). Warrior dumps Taker in the casket and shuts the lid for the win.

Rating: DUD (0)
Grade: C

This was a dark match so there weren’t many expectations here. This was a shorter version of the MSG match and probably just a quick test run of the casket match idea. It’s funny how many of these Undertaker has lost in his career though, dark match, house show or whatever.

Warrior
would leave the WWF a week later after Summerslam, with Sid replacing him on the house show circuit. Roddy Piper also had a couple of matches with him. It was clear that Vince was going with him. Undertaker was switched to beating Jim Duggan and The British Bulldog on house shows, leading up to Survivor Series 1991. Vince was looking for something new for Hulk Hogan after the feud with Sgt. Slaughter ended at Summerslam. With Ric Flair waiting in the wings (for a match that wouldn’t happen at Wrestlemania VIII) Vince decided it was time to try something completely different. The build-up to this match has one of my favorite segments, where the Undertaker came out from a standing casket as Hogan was arguing with Flair about who the real world champion was. Taker would leave Hogan lying. Randy Savage and Roddy Piper would make the save. With Piper, Savage, Flair, and Hogan all involved in the segment, it clearly put Undertaker on the same level as those guys.

gravestchallenge.jpg

Match 8: WWF Championship - The Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan (c)
Survivor Series 1991 (11/27/91)

Hogan
destroys Undertaker’s casket on his way to the ring before going through his pre-match posing. Taker just stares at Hogan, which I will say I don’t think works that well (showing too much of Undertaker’s face for too long). Taker shoves Hogan into the corner, but then misses an elbow. Headlock from Hogan, but Taker sends him off the ropes and shoulder blocks Hogan down. Hogan bails, looking unsure of himself. Undertaker gets a standing choke and I believe he does the eye roll deal for the first time, which does add to choke visually. There are some great camera angles of Undertaker trying to re-arrange Hogan’s face here. Taker continues to take his time and slams Hogan. Undertakers gets great airtime on the elbow drop, but as always it misses. Big clothesline from Hogan, but Taker stays on his feet. Hogan goes for a slam, but he can’t do it. Ax Bomber doesn’t knock Undertaker down either.

Hogan rams Undertaker into the turnbuckles, then sends Taker over the top rope with a clothesline…but he lands on his feet. Undertaker drags Hogan to the outside and slams him into the steps. Undertaker chokes Hogan with a TV wire. Back in the ring, more choking from Undertaker. Paul Bearer even gets some shots in. After more choking we get a claw from Undertaker. Undertaker claws Hogan until Hogan drops to the canvas but Taker can only get two. Hogan fights out, but Taker catches him with the flying clothesline, which always looks awesome. Tombstone to Hogan, and Hogan just gets up, completely no-selling the move. Hogan makes the usual comeback with big punches, but can’t knock Undertaker down. Taker falls to one knee. Hogan rakes the eyes as Ric Flair comes down. Slam from Hogan, but Paul Bearer tries to trip Hogan.

Hogan heads to the outside and levels Ric Flair. Big boot from Hogan, but Bearer stops Hogan from dropping the leg. This allows Undertaker to pick up Hogan as Flair puts a chair in the ring. Tombstone on the chair (although Hogan’s head was about 4-5 inches above the canvas), and the crowd pops huge as Undertaker wins the WWF Title.

Rating: ½* (0.5)

I know it’s my favorite wrestler winning the WWF Title for the first time, but I can’t get past the fact that this match sucks. I don’t know if this was a Hogan power play to make the match as boring as possible to make it seem like Undertaker wasn’t ready or something, but Hogan did nothing. Watching the Warrior matches with Taker compared to this you can see the difference. Warrior gave Undertaker stuff and at least had energy out there. Hogan seemed to do the bare minimum here. Also, Hogan had told Undertaker ahead of time to be careful with him with the Tombstone, but then said Taker jammed his neck, which was complete garbage. I honestly forgot how much I hated this match. I didn’t even mention Hogan completely no-selling the Tombstone! Ugh. It was cool to see Undertaker walk out with the WWF Title, but man did Hogan seem to try anything to ruin experience. Undertaker spoke about this situation in shoot interviews as well. On the positive side, Bobby Heenan again puts Undertaker over like a million dollars on commentary, although the whole “Real World Title” stuff with Flair somewhat devalues the title change.

Undertaker
would defend the title against The British Bulldog in a few house shows in Canada before the big rematch with Hogan at This Tuesday in Texas.

MV5BNjZmYzcxYmItZmE3OC00ZjZlLTk3NTctMmRjNDMzOWNlMWEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ4ODQxNjI@._V1_.jpg

Match 9: WWF Championship - The Undertaker (c) vs. Hulk Hogan
This Tuesday in Texas (12/3/91)

Undertaker’s
entrance with the title gives me goosebumps, with Bobby Heenan telling Gorilla “here comes the WWF…Champion!”

Undertaker and Paul Bearer attack Hogan, but Hogan gets rid of Bearer. Hogan catches Undertaker with a clothesline in the corner, then punches away at him. There’s already way more energy in this one. Atomic drop from Hogan, and Undertaker sits up exactly like how character would for the next five years or so. Undertaker stops the slam the same way he did at Survivor Series, but Hogan quickly gets him with one anyway. Undertaker sits up again. Hogan sends Taker over the top rope, but Taker lands on his feet. So far, this is all Hogan.

They botch a stunner across the top rope (a move that would become an Undertaker staple). Taker drags Hogan to the outside and goes on offense, hitting chops to the throat. Hogan chokes Hogan on the outside, then brings Hogan in and works the choke some more. Undertaker debuts perhaps his second most famous move here, locking Hogan in a wristlock and then walking the top rope and coming down hard on the shoulder. The fight spills to the outside where Taker sends Hogan flying into the post. Taker brings Hogan back in to lock in the claw. Just like Survivor Series, Hogan survives and makes a comeback. Both men hit the ropes, and either the top rope breaks or something goes wrong as Undertaker gets caught in the ropes. Undertaker goes for what would be called Old School again, but Hogan throws him off the top this time. We get a Hulk Up, and Hogan again sends Taker to the outside with a clothesline as Ric Flair arrives. Hogan takes a chair and smashes Flair with it, knocking down Flair and WWF President Jack Tunney.

Ax bomber from Hogan to Undertaker. Hogan still can’t knock Undertaker down as Flair watches on. Flair takes the chair and gets on the apron, but Hogan tosses Undertaker into the chair and knocks Flair off the apron. Big boot knocks Hogan down, but Taker sits up and gets a thumb to Hogan’s eye. Paul Bearer accidentally nails Taker with the urn, and Hogan grabs ashes from the urn and throws it in Taker’s face. Roll-up and three, and just like that Hogan regains the title. It’s not clear what Jack Tunney saw though.

Rating: *1/2 (1.25)

This was a much more energetic match than Survivor Series, although a couple of sloppy moments hurt it a bit. Undertaker didn’t go down cleanly though, and Hogan didn’t just get up from any tombstones this time around, so that alone is a bonus. Undertaker also debuted some signature spots here. Old School and the sit ups. I also again really think it’s cool how he came out with the title. Bobby Heenan on commentary really makes all the difference.​

Due to the murky finish of the This Tuesday in Texas Main Event, Jack Tunney declared the WWF Title vacant. The winner of the 1992 Royal Rumble would become the new champion.

Match 10: WWF Championship – Royal Rumble
1992 Royal Rumble (1/19/92)

Undertaker
comes in at #20, and Bobby Heenan immediately busts out a great one-liner: “uh-oh death takes a holiday!” Interestingly, Gorilla Monsoon seems surprised because Taker didn’t get a later number because he’s a big star (or because of the title match controversy in December?). Taker immediately sends Jimmy Snuka flying out of the ring before getting to work on Flair with a choke. Randy Savage is next and he goes after Jake Roberts due to their feud. At this point Jake and Undertaker were in an alliance, so Taker makes the save.

There’s not much to say for the Undertaker’s participation here. He randomly bashes and chokes the other wrestlers in the ring, only getting a reaction when he goes after Flair or Savage. Hulk Hogan eventually makes his way to the ring. He takes his shots as Flair and Undertaker. Taker slows him down with a shot to the throat. Hogan regains the advantage though and eliminates Undertaker with a clothesline. Of course, Flair would famously win the match, but the Undertaker didn’t even remotely play a part in the finish.

Grade: B

Considering that this match was made a title match due to the finish of the This Tuesday in Texas main event, one would think Undertaker would have a bigger role in the match. This wouldn’t be the case though as after doing a whole lot of nothing, Hogan dumps him like he’s nothing. The Rumble itself still holds up as possibly the greatest of all-time, but the Undertaker’s run is disappointing, sans owning Jimmy Snuka one more time.

Up next is another MSG on TV taping. This one is interesting because Undertaker’s opponent here is Bret Hart. Bret was in-between Intercontinental Championship reigns at this point. It was becoming apparent that these two would be factoring into the WWF’s future in a big way.

Match 11: The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart
WWF on MSG (1/31/92)

Bret
heads to the outside to give a fan his sunglasses, but that allows Undertaker to take a cheap shot when Bret rolls back into the ring. Hard shot to the throat and Bret sells it like he was shot. Taker chokes Bret in the corner. Taker misses an elbow in the corner and Bret goes to work. Inverted atomic drop, then clotheslines. Bret dropkicks Undertaker to the outside and gets a huge reaction in doing so. Bret dives over the top rope onto Taker, then pounds away on him. As soon as Bret turns his attention to Paul Bearer though, Undertaker sits up. Taker sends Bret into the steps as he has complete control of the match. Undertaker methodically stomps and chokes Bret, even putting him in the treetop slam position for more choking. Bret shows some life with a sunset flip and starts punching away at Undertaker…but Taker counters an Irish whip and Bret slams sternum-first into the corner hard.

Old School from Undertaker, and then he folds Bret’s arms on his chest for the pin, but Bret kicks out. Flying clothesline gets two for Undertaker. Taker again folds Bret’s arms on his chest for the pin, but Bret kicks out again. Undertaker works the claw on Bret, slowing the match to a crawl. Bret fires punches to escape, but one blow from Undertaker stops Bret in his tracks. A second Old School attempt fails as Bret tosses Taker off the top rope, but Taker sits up and gets to his feet first. Bret makes his comeback with another inverted atomic drop and then a Russian Legsweep. Cover gets two, and Undertaker sits up after shoving Bret off the pin. Big suplex from Bret, but Taker kicks out and sits up again. Backbreaker from Bret. Bret heads to the second rope for the forearm, but has to turn it into a flying clothesline as Undertaker sat up again. Paul Bearer distracts Bret, allowing Undertaker to hit Bret from behind. Referee goes down as well, and Bret catches an Undertaker kick and locks in the Sharpshooter! Paul Bearer distracts the referee, and Bret tries to make the save, but gets attacked by Undertaker. Taker bashes Bret with the urn and gets the three.

Rating: **3/4 (2.75)

Fun match when Bret was in control, but admittedly Undertaker was working quite slowly and I think could have picked up the pace a little bit considering who he was working with and not hurt his character at all. Also, while I assume they were protecting Bret as he was about to go over Piper at Wrestlemania, I was a little surprised to see such a cheap finish here. Heck, we didn’t even get a Tombstone attempt. I’m also surprised as the Undertaker face turn was imminent. With that being said, Undertaker taking Bret’s Five Moves of Doom and sitting up from all of them was impressive. I enjoyed the match, I just thought it could have been a little better.

During the entire match with Bret Hart, Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon were hyping up the Saturday Night Main Event match-up coming up.

Match 12: The Undertaker and Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan and Sid Justice
Saturday Night’s Main Event (2/8/92)

The story for this match mostly revolves around Hulk Hogan and Sid. Sid was angry not only because Hogan pulled him out of the Royal Rumble after Hogan was eliminated, but because Hogan was announced to be the #1 contender for the WWF Title. Undertaker is really in this match as they needed a heel for Ric Flair to team with. To give an idea of how unimportant Undertaker is for this match, he doesn’t even get an entrance. He’s already standing in the ring when Flair enters.

Sid and Flair start, and Sid dominates him. Sid tags in Hogan, and Hogan dominates Flair too. Undertaker comes in and Hogan just hip tosses him like he’s nothing. Hogan sends Taker into Sid’s boot. Sid and Taker go at one another, but Taker can’t slam Sid and Sid easily slams Taker. Sid rams Taker into Sid’s knee and Hogan slams Undertaker with ease. Hogan then slams Flair. Sid is back in and Taker slows him down with an uppercut to the throat. Flair and Taker double clothesline Sid down (I feel like tags are just being ignored). Flair and Taker set some double teams moved on Sid, but Hogan makes the save. Double clothesline sends Taker to the outside.

Taker and Flair get the advantage on Sid again, but Sid eventually fights them both off and gets them with a noggin-knocker. Sid tags in Hogan and punches away at Flair and Undertaker. Flair gets the advantage on Flair thanks to Mr. Perfect’s interference. Figure-Four from Flair, but Hogan escapes. Taker gets a tag and pounds away on Hogan as the focus is on Sid not helping Hogan. Hogan throws Flair off the top rope, but Sid doesn’t reach his arm out to tag Hogan. Undertaker pulls Hogan back and chokes him in the corner. Hogan eventually manages to double clothesline Taker and Flair, and Hogan crawls to the corner. Sid jumps off the apron, leaving Hogan hanging and cementing his heel turn. Flair and Taker double team Hogan before Flair for no reason throws the referee down to cause the DQ. Brutus Beefcake comes in to even the odds, and he and Hogan send Taker and Flair out of the ring.

Grade: D

Undertaker was an afterthought here, and the match was all about Sid and Hogan. Taker looked like a standard heel here, didn’t get an entrance, then even got punked out by Brutus Beefcake. Ugh all around. Match had good energy at least.

Despite the lackluster match, the ending to Saturday Night’s Main Event had big ramifications for Undertaker. At the end of the Randy Savage vs. Jake Roberts match, Jake waited behind the curtain to hit Elizabeth with a chair. But he was stopped by Undertaker, turning him face. This set the path for Undertaker vs. Jake Roberts at Wrestlemania VIII. Another one of my favorite segments also took place in the build-up, where Jake traps Undertaker’s hand in a coffin and beats him down with a chair…only for Undertaker to keep getting up and drag the casket behind him, chasing Jake to the back. Man was Jake Roberts an amazing heel.

Match 13: The Undertaker vs. Jake Roberts
Wrestlemania VIII (4/5/92)

You gotta hand it to Jake. In a match where he’s fighting a guy dressed as a western mortician who might be dead, Jake comes off as the creepy one. In fact, I’d say this match is a passing of the torch of the creepy face character. It’s also incredible to think about the changes in Taker’s presentation in just one short year.

Jake dodges a couple of Undertaker punches, then tries one himself to no effect. Jake hits some more punches to no effect, but one sends Taker over the top rope. Taker lands on his feet and drags Jake out. Undertaker sends Jake flying into the ring post to a huge reaction. Back in the ring, Jake gets the upperhand with punches again. Nothing is working for Jake, and Taker sends him into the corner. Choke from Undertaker, then more choking. Taker slams Jake into the opposite corner, and we get more choking. Undertaker actually hits the elbow drop for once. Jake gets sent off the ropes and Undertaker hits the flying clothesline. Undertaker goes for the Tombstone, but Jake escapes and drops Taker with the DDT! Undertaker sits up and the fans go nuts. Undertaker goes back to a choke, but Jake drops him with a short-arm clothesline. Second DDT drives Undertaker down. Jake then goes after Paul Bearer, and that’s his big mistake as Undertaker sits up again. Undertaker goes out after Jake and drops him with the Tombstone on the floor! Taker rolls Jake back in the ring and pins him with ease.

Yeah, the match is basically nothing, but wow did it put Undertaker over as a big babyface. He absolutely destroys Jake here, taking two DDTs and then driving Jake with the Tombstone on the floor. The crowd ate up all of it too.

That’s it for this set of reviews. Next we’ll go through the rest of the grey gloves era for Undertaker.​

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Undertaker-Match-by-Match-2.jpg

The Early Years – A Tisket, A Tasket, I Ain’t Going In No Casket (1992-1994)

With Hogan and Sid gone, the top level faces in the WWF went Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Undertaker, and Bret Hart. The heel side wasn’t as strong though outside of Ric Flair (Shawn Michaels wasn’t there yet). To further establish Undertaker’s face turn, Vince needed heels to feed to him. While Undertaker would beat low level guys like The Bezerker on house shows, Vince decided to go back to one of the monsters of the 1980s to face off with his new monster babyface. The led to the return of the Ugandan Giant, Kamala. They would face off at Wembley Stadium for Summerslam 1992.

takerkamala.jpg

Match 14: The Undertaker vs. Kamala
Summerslam 1992 (8/29/92)

Famously, Undertaker enters with the first of many special entrances as he stands on the back of a hearse. The crowd loses their mind too when the first gong hits.

Taker hits Kamala with haymakers, then chokes him in the corner. Kamala reverses an Irish whip but crashes into the corner, then Undertaker hits more haymakers. Old school hits and Kamala goes down to one knee. Undertaker decides to go for a second one, but Kamala’s manager Harvey Wippleman shakes the tope rope and Taker goes flying off. Kamala gets some chops and sends Taker over the top rope. Wippleman and Kim Chee try to attack Undertaker, but Taker grabs both by the throat. Kamala comes out though to make the save and slams Undertaker into the steps. Kamala beats down Undertaker on the outside before rolling him back in. More chops from Kamala, then a big chop to the head. Kamala misses a clothesline and Undertaker busts out what I think is the first chokeslam. Flying clothesline connects. Taker looks to go for the Tombstone, but Kim Chee runs in and that’s a DQ in less than four minutes. Kamala unleashes a post-match attack and slams Undertaker. Kamala hits a running splash, then heads to the second rope and splashes Undertaker from there. Kamala then goes up to the top rope and splashes Undertaker from there! Undertaker then sits up, which freaks out Kamala. Taker stalks Kamala down the aisle.

I mean there’s nothing to the match really, I don’t think anyone watching an Undertaker vs. Kamala match is here for the workrate part. It was cool seeing such a smooth chokeslam though, I actually didn’t remember that as part of the match. Undertaker’s entrance, and of course survival of Kamala’s splashes only furthered the dominant babyface presentation, so I’m giving that part an A+. I will say a four minute non-finish at Summerslam is quite the choice, but I guess we do have to get to Survivor Series and fans were gonna get their epic with Bret Hart and The British Bulldog anyway.

A random fact about that match is that Jim Harris, who played Kamala, claimed he only made $13,000 for the match as opposed to Undertaker making $500,000.

As we head to Survivor Series, the outlook of the WWF had changed even moreso. Warrior and Bulldog were gone. In a major shift in direction, Bret Hart had defeated Ric Flair to win the WWF Title, and would be defending it against a young Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series. There were some newcomers who were expected to contribute immediately, such as Razor Ramon and Yokozuna. Before the company was on the shoulders of a lot of the older and newer guys, but soon, other than Randy Savage, those older guys would be gone, and the company was left on the shoulders of Bret and Undertaker.

We still had to finish the feud with Kamala though. The story ended up being that Kamal wasn’t necessarily afraid of Undertaker, but he was afraid of caskets. That led to what was billed as the first-ever “coffin” match at Survivor Series.

wwe-wwf_survivor-series-1992_undertaker_vs_kamala_casket-match.jpg

Match 15: Coffin Match - The Undertaker vs. Kamala
Survivor Series 1992 (11/25/92)

A lot of the build up for this one had Undertaker building a casket for Kamala, something that would be very effective a year later (we’ll get to that). Paul Bearer had been bringing coffins to ringside during Kamala matches, and Kamala would be scared to death each time. We also get the first custom made casket design, as the wooden casket has the same symbols painted on it that are painted on Kamala.

Kamala bails right away as Undertaker approaches. Kamala keeps threatening Undertaker, then running when Undertaker doesn’t back down. Kamala gets the advantage in the ring, but a slamming Taker into the turnbuckles has no effect. Old school from Undertaker hits and Kamala goes down. Short arm clothesline takes Kamala down again, and Undertaker goes for the choke. Taker makes a mistake and Kamala gets some punches and kicks. Clothesline sends Taker to the outside, and they do the same exact spot with Harvey and Kim Chee going for the attack and getting choked. Kamala goes out to make the save and slams Taker into the steps. Hard chairshot from Kamala to Taker. Kamala slams Undertaker in the ring, but Undertaker sits up immediately. A second slam leads to a second sit up, and I gotta say Kamala’s reactions are great. Kamala hits a splash, and Undertaker stays down. Kamala hits another one and looks to have the match won. Kim Chee even takes out Paul Bearer, causing Chee to get the urn. Undertaker sits up and Chee throws the urn at Kamala to hit Taker with, but Kamala freaks out. Taker grabs the urn and smashes Kamala with it, pins him, then rolls Kamala into the casket. Undertaker then puts the lid on and hammers nails to trap Kamala in there for the win.

First off, that finish was horrendous. Otherwise the match was your standard Kamala vs. Undertaker match, which isn’t saying much. The character work from Kamala is great, but I mean, it’s only going to take the match so far. Second, you can tell they needed to work out the Casket Match rules (although they had it down in the dark match in ’91 against the Warrior). Everyone seemed confused when the referee counted three. And the bell didn’t ring at all after Taker hammered the nails into the coffin lid. Obviously the WWF fixes this in the future, but it came off awkwardly here. Still fine, still cool and hey, it definitely worked as Undertaker only continued to grow in popularity. That’s 1992 for you.

Undertaker
would work house shows through the end of 1992 with Nailz, Razor Ramon, and Papa Shango. A new TV show would debut on cable for the WWF in 1993, RAW. While we know RAW now as the flagship, at the time it was really an overhaul of the Prime Time Wrestling show. Nonetheless, we’re going to review all matches on the show. Undertaker would be on the debut show.

Match 16: The Undertaker vs. Damien DeMento
Monday Night RAW (1/11/93)

This was the main event of the first RAW. DeMento was a character…I don’t know how else to describe him. The entrance way for the Manhattan Center is too short for my tastes to get a good Undertaker entrance. DeMento and Undertaker come face-to-face. DeMento hits some punches, but Undertaker quickly slams him face-first to the canvas (looked like Taker was going for the other way). Old school connects and then we get some choking. DeMento makes a bit of a comeback, hitting Taker with an axhandle smash off the top rope and knocking him down with a flying shoulder block. Undertaker of course sits up from that. Flying clothesline is mistimed, but still connects. Tombstone and that’s it.

Rating: -* (-1)

I thought about even going worse here. DeMento was out of position for many moves, including his axhandle smash and Taker’s flying clothesline. Undertaker looked like the big star here which is fine, but DeMento was just bad here and it took me a little out of the match.

Match 17: Royal Rumble
1993 Royal Rumble (1/24/93)

Undertaker
comes in at #15. From my research (and even according to Gorilla), Taker is the favorite here. Samu pounds away on him with headbutts. Taker grabs him by the throat though, and Samu is gone just like that. Tenryu hits some hard chops, but Taker dumps him with a backdrop. Undertaker chokes out Ted Dibiase (where was that PPV match?!). Terry Taylor comes out next (and lasts like 15 seconds). Undertaker chokeslams Dibiase, then sends him packing. Undertaker and Bezerker are left…when suddenly Harvey Wippleman and Giant Gonzalez make their way out to the ring. Taker dumps Bezerker.

Undertaker sees Gonzalez and stands toe-to-toe with him. Damian DeMento is next but he doesn’t get in the ring. It’s amazing how stupid Gonazlez looks even just taking steps. Gonzalez hits Taker with a huge overhead chop, and then two standard chops send Undertaker out of the Rumble (apparently this year you can be eliminated by someone not in the match). Gonzalez hits Taker with punches and headbutts around the ring, then sends Taker into the steel steps. Gonzalez sends Undertaker back in the ring, then chokes him. Chokeslam from Gonzalez, which didn’t look that bad). Gonzalez then bashes Taker’s leg against the ringpost, which is a strange attack for a monster heel of size but whatever. Undertaker can’t sit up for some reason as the Rumble continues with him just lying in the ring. Yokozuna would eventually win the Rumble.

Undertaker beating down midcarders was fun to watch for a few minutes which is there the star comes from, but once Gonzalez gets involved just ugh. I don’t even find Gonzalez’s attack all that awful, but it didn’t look nearly good enough to make me believe that he took Undertaker out. Sadly, this would be the peak quality wise of the feud too. I’ll talk more about Gonazlez when we get to Wrestlemania.

One more RAW match before we get to Wrestlemania.

Match 18: The Undertaker vs. Skinner
Monday Night RAW (2/22/93)

For whatever reason the entrance way feels longer, but I’m still not completely feeling it in the Manhattan Center. Maybe WWF should experiment with having the lights off for his entrance?

We don’t even get to see the full match as we get a commercial break. We come back and see Skinner clothesline Undertaker over the top rope, then we get a Randy Savage Slim Jim commercial. Way to prioritize. We come back and Skinner is actually dominating the Undertaker. Skinner chokes Undertaker with some kind of weapon as we’re told we’ll get the conclusion of this match next week on RAW. CAN SKINNER PULL OFF THE UPSET?!

Well, I went through RAW the next week, and there’s no mention of the epic conclusion to this one. I mean what the fuck was this shit? One of your biggest stars gets beat down by a lower card guy on what’s clearly an important show (there was a Hulk Hogan interview that probably caused all the timing issues) and we don’t see what happened? How embarrassing.

Rating: N/A
Grade: F

Can’t rate it as I didn’t see much of it. And the presentation of Undertaker here was embarrassing, especially in the lead up to Wrestlemania. It’s really not a big deal in the long run, but if a new fan was watching that wouldn’t be a good look at all.

Wrestlemania IX
is up next. The feud came about as revenge by Harvey Wippleman, who managed Kamala. After Undertaker took him out, Wippleman brought in Giant Gonazlez for revenge. It looked like Taker and Gonzalez had two practice shots at this match before Mania, one in a dark match and one on USWA TV.

6.jpg

Match 19: The Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez
Wrestlemania IX (4/4/93)

Undertaker
gets another cool custom entrance as he’s carried to the ring on a chariot with a vulture.

It’s also, I guess I’ll use the word amazing, that Giant Gonzalez is almost 8 feet tall, yet somehow doesn’t remotely look intimidating. Undertaker and Gonzalez come face-to-face. Gonzalez pounds on Undertaker, but Undertaker keeps coming back. Taker hits some hard haytmakers and even Gonzalez’s selling expressions are unintentionally hilarious. Gonzalez and Taker have a choke off before Gonzalez gets a low blow. Undertaker dodges Gonzalez and gets old school. Undertaker keeps beating on Gonzalez until Gonzalez gets a big boot, then knocks Undertaker down with a tackle. Gonzalez throws Undertaker around the ring. Sleeper from Gonzalez, because that’s what this match needed. Even his sleeper looks weak. Undertaker uses the power of the urn to power out of the sleeper, but Gonzalez shoves Taker out of the ring (or really Gonzalez touched Taker’s head and Taker just took a dive out of the ring).

Gonzalez slams Undertaker face-first into the steps, and then gives a very un-monster like “wooo” like he’s Owen Hart. He slams Undertaker back into the steps again, but Undertaker keeps coming. Headbutt knocks Undertaker down, but Taker sits up. Another headbutt, another sit up. Undertaker regains the advantage as he fires away at Gonzalez. Gonzalez starts hilariously selling again before he drops to a knee. Wippleman gets on the apron and throws something in the ring. Taker takes out Wippleman as Gonazlez headbutts Paul Bearer off the apron. Gonzalez takes what Wippleman threw in the ring, a cloth, and commentary tells us that it’s chloroform. Bell rings for the DQ as Gonzalez chokes Taker out with the chloroform-soaked rag.

The referees look to get help for Undertaker and he gets carried out on a stretcher as Gonzalez chokeslams a referee (after dropping him, great save on commentary by Bobby Heenan though). Fans start chanting for Hogan…but the fans go crazy when Undertaker makes his way back. Taker gets some good punches and kicks, then knocks Gonzalez down with a flying choke shove. Paul Bearer holds Undertaker back as Harvey Wippleman and security escort Gonzalez to the back.

Rating: -**** (-4)
Grade: B-

Okay. Now, the match was awful as clearly Giant Gonzalez just didn’t have the ability to be a good or even decent professional wrestler. Now I thought in some spots it was okay, but then any “goodwill” given gets taken away with this finish. Look, if you are 8 feet tall and you have to resort to using chloroform to take out your opponent, you’re not doing your job well. What’s the point of being an 8 foot monster then? Now, Undertaker looked pretty great in his spots. His entrance and his comeback at the end are awesome moments, and that’s why I give it the grade that I have. At least Undertaker was protected here. Unfortunately, this means we get another match, and we’ll get to that, but somehow this disaster only ended up as a positive for the Undertaker’s legacy. As Bret hart wrote in his book, Taker made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear here.

Undertaker
would take on Giant Gonzalez on the house show circuit in mostly DQ finishes, then switch over to Mr. Hughes. We were counting down to Summerslam where Taker and Gonzalez would meet again, but we have a RAW match first.

Match 20: The Undertaker vs. Samu
Monday Night RAW (7/5/93)

For the first time, the lights go out for the Undertaker’s entrance and it’s of course freakin’ awesome. The way Vince and Savage sell it on commentary it makes it seem like this is the first time the lights have went out as well. Paul Bearer isn’t at ringside, so Bobby Heenan makes a big deal on commentary that Undertaker may be lost without it. Samu fires away at Taker but there’s no effect. Samu holds his own for a little bit. Undertaker tries some new things, like a dropdown and a leapfrog, but he doesn’t get enough on the leapfrog. Drop toehold from Undertaker! Dropkick from Undertaker! It’s like he’s making a statement that he’s tired of fighting all these immobile monsters and wants to show he can actually wrestle a bit!

Undertaker hits Old School, then takes Samu down with a clothesline. Undertaker misses the flying clothesline though. Afa distracts Undertaker and Samu gets an axhandle smash to the outside. Undertaker sits up as we go to commercial. We come back and Samu tosses Taker into the post and then the steps. Samu beats down Undertaker for a bit before getting a powerslam. Undertaker sits up from all of Samu’s offense. A clothesline to the outside just results in Undertaker landing on his feet. Undertake grabs Samu by the throat before tossing Samu into the corner. Taker tosses Samu into the other corner, but throws him hard enough so that Samu’s head hits the post. The big elbow drop misses though (as it usually does!). Sidewalk slam and falling headbutt from Samu. Samu heads to the top rope and hits the diving headbutt. Samu goes for another one, but this time Undertaker sits up! Chokeslam then Tombstone, and that’s good for three.

Rating: **1/2 (2.5)

I really liked this one! Undertaker busted out some new moves (if the leapfrog wasn’t botched I may have given this a solid three stars) and Bobby Heenan established the story that Undertaker may be weaker without the urn. Samu got some good offense in too. We also got the debut of the lights out entrance (to my knowledge). Fun little match!

ndobfjkelbh41.png

Match 21: Rest In Peace Match - The Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez
Summerslam 1993 (8/30/93)

It’s not even clear what a Rest In Peace match is coming in, but it turns out to be a no DQ match. At some point Harvey Wippleman gained possession of the urn so I’m sure that’ll play a factor into this match. Undertaker’s entrance is really cool again, and we also have no Paul Bearer again.

Undertaker wastes no time and goes right after Giant Gonzalez. Taker chokes Gonzalez, but Gonzalez gets Taker with a boot to the face. Gonzalez hits some headbutts. Undertaker comes off the ropes and hits a couple of clotheslines, but Gonzalez stays on his feet and knocks Undertaker down. Undertaker sits up, but Gonzalez throws him to the outside. They trade blows before Gonzalez tosses Taker into the steps. Gonzalez grabs a chair and smashes Undertaker with it in what was a pretty solid shot to the back. Taker gets sent into the steps again as Gonzalez is in full control. Undertaker struggles to get back to his feet, and Gonzalez comes back outside to deliver more punishment.

Undertaker crawls towards the urn, but Gonzalez keeps up the beatdown. Undertaker fires some punches, leading to comical selling from Gonzalez again. Gonzalez sets Taker into the corner hard. Suddenly we hear Undertaker’s bell…and Paul Bearer makes his way out to the ring to a huge pop. Bearer has a wreath to the ring as Gonzalez chokes Taker in the corner. On the outside, Bearer clothesline Wippleman in what ended up being the best bump in the match. Bearer regains the urn as Gonzalez messes up a bodyslam. In a funny bit if you know what you are looking for, when Paul Bearer raises the urn, referee Bill Alfonso runs over to tell Undertaker to sit up. Undertaker makes his comeback with some clotheslines and shots to the face. Undertaker heads to the top rope and knocks Gonzalez down with a top rope clothesline (I think that’s the first time for that one). That finishes Gonzalez. Vince then says “now we know what a Rest In Peace Match is”, which was too funny not to include here.

This was much better than the Wrestlemania match and it had a decisive finish. It was still pretty bad as again, Giant Gonzalez just isn’t a good pro wrestler. But there was a story here with the urn, it was told well and there was nothing too embarrassing in the ring. Bobby Heenan again makes Undertaker seem like an actual dead guy, and with the urn and the entrance, everything was clicking. Once again, Undertaker makes a disaster of a feud with Giant Gonzalez work and looks like a bigger star as a result.

Moving on, the next program for Undertaker was hinted on house shows as he began challenging Yokozuna for the WWF Title all over the country. Now the set-up for this is one of my favorites. Lex Luger had been feuding with Yoko since he slammed him on the US Intrepid in the summer. This was going to lead to an All-American vs. Foreign Fanatics main event at Survivor Series. The Fanatics though would injure Tatanka weeks before the match, allowing Luger to make one of the biggest upgrades to a team in WWF history. I love Jerry Lawler’s disgust with the situation too, because even he realizes going from Tatanka to Undertaker is absolutely ridiculous. Lawler is on his game with the one-liners here too (“he’s not American he isn’t even alive!)

Match 22: Survivor Series – The All-Americans (The Undertaker, Lex Luger, and the Steiner Brothers) vs. The Foreign Fanatics (Yokozuna, Jacques, Crush, and Ludvig Borga)
1993 Survivor Series (11/24/93)

There’s an interesting dynamic in this match. While Lex Luger and Yokozuna were the main participants for their team, the fans sounded way more interested in Undertaker getting his hands on Yoko. Taker and Yoko have a staredown before the match starts. We’ll go through what happens in the match before Undertaker gets involved. Borga eliminates Rick Steiner in a weird crossbody spot where Rick seemed legitimately injured. Crush gets counted out a few minutes later when Randy Savage makes his way out to the ring. Crush had recently turned on Savage. Luger hits Jacques with a forearm off the second rope to eliminate him. Scott Steiner misses a dropkick on Yoko and gets hit with a huge legdrop, making it two vs. two. Yoko and Luger go at it, but Yoko misses a splash. Yoko regains control with a clothesline before tagging in Borga. Borga and Yoko alternate beating down Luger, but Luger misses a splash in the corner, and Luger crawls to his corner…

At the 17-minute mark Undertaker makes his first appearance in the match and the crowd goes bonkers. Undertaker drops Yoko with an awesome DDT! Taker punches and clotheslines Yoko. Borga takes a shot at him, and Taker knocks him off the apron. That allows Yoko to get a belly-to-belly suplex, but Undertaker sits up. Yoko puts down Undertaker and drops the big legdrop on him. Yoko then drags Taker to the corner and hits the Banzai Drop! Yoko goes for a second one, but Undertaker sits up! Flying clothesline sends Yoko retreating. Taker goes after him but Yoko slams him into the steps. Undertaker immediately stands up straight after being slammed into the steps, and as an Undertaker fan it’s freakin’ awesome! Both Undertaker and Yoko get counted out as Undertaker continues to deliver punishment. Yokozuna’s facial expressions are great here too.

Luger would eventually beat Borga to win the match.

Rating: ***1/4 (3.25)
Grade: S

Your milage may vary here, but Undertaker and Yokozuna always had a special kind of chemistry. A big difference between Yoko and Giant Gonzalez or Kamala is that Yoko’s stuff looks like it hurts. And that only makes Undertaker look better when he survives everything. I’m telling you, Undertaker as a hot tag guy would have been huge. He’s not in there long, but when he’s in there with Yoko it’s really good. I wonder too what Vince thought. While at this point I assume he still had Lex Luger winning the title at Wrestlemania, not only was Bret Hart arguably (and, based on how the Royal Rumble went, not arguably) more popular than Luger, but as I wrote earlier it sure looked like fans wanted Undertaker vs. Yoko more than a Luger vs. Yoko rematch. Well someone had to get Yoko “ready” for Wrestlemania, and that would end up being Undertaker in what was also one of my favorite build-ups for a PPV title match.

We have one jobber match to take care of first before I go into the build for Royal Rumble.

Match 23: The Undertaker vs. Ray Hudson
Monday Night RAW (1/10/94)

Undertaker
terrifies referee Earl Hebner early on when he’s holding the urn in a funny spot. There’s not much to say about this one. Undertaker does do something new by putting Hudson in the tree of woe and kicking him. Hudson takes a low chokeslam and gets dropped with the Tombstone in a complete jobber squash.

We’re still seeing some new things here, like this is the first time I recall seeing Undertaker get down on one knee to pay tribute to the urn (in what would become a signature spot in his entire career). This was just a jobber squash so I can’t go higher than DUD, but the presentation was excellent.

Jim Cornette
, Yokozuna’s manager, was able to sneak in the contract for the upcoming Yoko vs. Undertaker title match that this would be Undertaker’s only title match. Paul Bearer snuck in a stipulation too: that the match would be a Casket Match. Like the feud with Kamala, Undertaker would build the casket, customized for Yokozuna. Also like Kamala, Yokozuna wasn’t afraid of Undertaker necessarily, but he WAS afraid of caskets. Normally this rehash wouldn’t be as interesting, but this is something I think people can relate to and frankly, it’s done way better here. These are three of my favorite Undertaker videos probably ever. Undertaker wishing Yokozuna Merry Christmas still gives me chills to this day.

Match 24: WWF Championship: Casket Match - The Undertaker vs. Yokozuna ©
1994 Royal Rumble (1/22/94)

We hear Vince call Undertaker a phenom for the first time during the entrances. Just a note, Ted Dibiase is not a good color commentator. Undertaker’s entrance again is fantastic, as you can’t even see him following Paul Bearer, making you wonder if he’s in the casket. But then he appears as a shadowy figure, slowly marching to the ring.

Yoko looks ready for Undertaker. The staredown gets a pop. Undertaker slams Yoko into the corner then hits him with a barrage of clotheslines. Yoko stumbles to the outside and posts himself. Yoko gains control though and slams Undertaker into the steps, but like at Survivor Series Undertaker just stands up straight and once again it’s awesome. Taker hits Old School, but misses the flying clothesline. Yoko grabs a chair, but Undertaker blocks then smashes Yoko right across the back. Headshot takes Yoko down and this is all Undertaker so far. Yoko finally slows Undertaker down by throwing some of Mr. Fuji’s salt in his eyes. Yoko then pounds away at Taker, rams him into the steps and smashes him over the back with a chair. Shot to the back of the head downs Taker. Yoko slams Taker’s head into the steps over and over. Yoko runs over Taker in the ring and tries to roll him into the casket. He gets Taker in, but Taker grabs Yoko’s leg. Undertaker and Yoko slug away at one another and Yoko squashes Undertaker with a belly-to-belly suplex. Sit up from Undertaker and Yoko is shocked! Chokeslam from Undertaker! Yoko reverses the Irish whip but gets planted with a flying DDT. Undertaker sits up and calls for the end. Taker asks for the casket to be opened and he rolls Yoko in.

Taker seems to have the match won, but Crush comes out to attack Undertaker. Taker takes him out, but now here comes the Great Kabuki. Tenryu is here too, but Taker knocks them both down with a double clothesline. Bam Bam Bigelow comes in and Crush is back in too, and they double team Undertaker. It quickly turns into a four-on-one while Mr. Fuji steals the urn from Paul Bearer. Bearer attacks Fuji and Jim Cornette to get the urn back and Undertaker comes to life. Undertaker takes out everyone around him until Adam Bomb runs in. Taker takes him out too, but here comes Jeff Jarrett. Taker takes him out. The Headshrinkers knock Taker down with a double superkick and all the wrestlers in the ring pound away on him, but Undertaker sits up! Diesel shows up and Undertaker can’t fight them all off. They get Taker in the casket, but Taker fights out. Yoko grabs the urn from Paul Bearer and knocks him off the apron, and he blasts Taker with it. Yoko then opens the urn and green smoke gets let out. Vince McMahon actually says on commentary that “the power of the Undertaker” is escaping. The heels all hit big moves on Undertaker, roll him into the casket, and Bigelow jumps onto the top of the casket, closing the Undertaker inside to give the victory to Yokozuna.

So that’s the match, but we aren’t done yet. The lights start to flicker when the heels wheel Undertaker down the aisle. Suddenly we get a casket cam, Undertaker says some words about how the rebirth of the Undertaker is imminent (although imagine it being written by chatgpt), and then he or his spirit levitates through the ceiling of the arena.

Ok, we need to do this in pieces. The match before Crush shows up I thought was a lot of fun. Undertaker vs. Yokozuna is not for everyone for sure, but both seemed to understand their character’s strengths and weaknesses. Yoko does a great job using his size to even up situations where he’s at a disadvantage while Undertaker does all his Undertaker stuff, and unlike with Kamala and Giant Gonzalez, Yoko can sell it without unintentionally being comical. It’s definitely a bit one-one sided, but Yoko was going over so it all makes sense to me. I would have given that part of the match 2.75 or even 3 stars.

You need to be able to suspend your disbelief with professional wrestling. One of those things you have to ignore is the idea of “what if I just get 10 of my friends to interfere on my behalf every match”. Obviously, if that was possible, wrestling wouldn’t be enjoyable. But when you do decide to use that as a finish for a big championship match, the question becomes why don’t you ALWAYS do that? Second, if we’re gonna book one guy in Undertaker so strongly that it takes 10 guys to beat him, how can this guy ever lose. I get that the Undertaker character is supposed to be nearly unbeatable and maybe even supernatural. But some natural things should still beat him, no matter how ridiculous it is. Now, there was an out here in the story the WWF told us, the urn makes the Undertaker more powerful. So all they had to do was have someone steal the urn and have Yokozuna drop 10 Banzai Drops or something. This finish here did no favors to Yoko (heck that DDT had him knocked out so badly I thought he was Booker T against Triple H). Sure, it made the Undertaker look immortal, but almost to a jump the shark point. So the finish really killed the match here. Yokozuna was a talented enough monster and Undertaker was such an established character that this didn’t hurt either in the long run.

The post-match stuff is the first time we do jump the shark with the Undertaker character. I know there are some who love the Western Mortician version of the character as opposed to the zombie purple gloves version, and I’ll give my opinion on that later, but this easily could have went wrong. Luckily, Undertaker was so good at the character people seemed to accept this bs with little issue. I only gave the whole thing a C because the entrance was great and the crowd was into it. But it could have (and with Underfaker, arguably did) been so much worse. Anyway, we’ll stop here as this is the end of the grey glove Western Mortician version of the character.​

Last edited:

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
purpletaker.png

The Deadman Years – Death and Taxes (1994-1995)

After the incident at the 1994 Royal Rumble, the Undertaker wasn’t seen until the summer. Allegedly, Ted Dibiase had brought the Undertaker back into the fold. Dibiase’s Undertaker started appearing on shows, but Paul Bearer said this was a fake, and that the REAL Undertaker would return. This led to the Summerslam 1994 main event (over Bret vs. Owen in a cage), Undertaker vs. Undertaker. Yes, I sped through this. Why? Because it’s awful. (Admittedly, one angle where Dibiase pulled out money and his Undertaker neck snapped towards that direction is pretty funny).

SummerSlam_1994.jpg

Match 25: The Undertaker vs. The Undertaker
Summerslam 1994 (8/29/94)

Okay, so Ted Dibiase introduces his Undertaker, who I will call Underfaker at this point because it’s going to be annoying differentiating between the two. Brian Lee is playing Faker, and it’s clear he doesn’t have the same aura the real Undertaker has. Paul Bearer comes out next with a casket, but that has the new urn in it. But then a light comes from the urn, and I gotta tell you, when the real Undertaker makes his entrance it is fuckin’ awesome. In what may be the greatest entrance for Undertaker ever, he comes out to a purple lighting with the rest of the lights out. The shot of his silhouette in the entrance way gives me chills every single time. He also now aggressively turns the lights on when he stands in the corner. Also, beautiful work having the real Undertaker’s entrance be such an upgrade over what Underfaker came out to.

summerslam94undertaker.png

Now, I don’t really know how we’re supposed to have a believable match here. Underfaker looks like a bargain basement version of the character while Undertaker looks like the upgraded version. If any match should have been chokeslam, tombstone, 15 seconds squash it’s probably this one. But, we might as well give this a try I guess. Faker is about 3 inches shorter than Undertaker on the staredown, so that’s not helping. We get a leapfrog from Undertaker, then a big boot sends Faker to the outside. Faker stalks Paul Bearer, but Taker grabs him and suplexes him back in the ring. Underfaker sits up, and Vince sells it like we might still have a debate between which Undertaker is real. Underfaker finally gains control and hits Undertaker with haymakers. Faker goes for Old School, but Undertaker tosses him off. Faker sits up again. Taker hits Old School. Faker gets a messed up hotshot and pounds away on Undertaker. Vince explains that the crowd is in awe, but really, Underfaker has literally no heat here. And I mean literally.

Underfaker misses an elbow drop (maybe he is the real one! Vince has to bring up the silence of the crowd again, although he credits it due to them being stunned. I’d be stunned too to put this crap over one of the best WWF title matches in history in the main event too. Faker pounds away on Undertaker. Underfaker gets the chokeslam, and then wastes time. He goes down to a knee for a pin, but Undertaker sits up to the first crowd reaction of the match. Faker then gets the tombstone. Again Faker wastes time, again Taker sits up. Taker counters Faker’s 2nd tombstone attempt with his own and spikes him pretty good. Undertaker decides to finish this crap with two more tombstones, and the crowd finally reacts when he gets the three. Faker gets dumped in a casket and that was that for the character (although not the storyline, as we’ll get to).

Rating: -*** (-3)
Grade: S+

Now, the presentation for Undertaker, as I wrote earlier, is nothing short of incredible. Even how Taker moves in the ring, it’s a subtle re-invention of the character and I can’t help but feel there was so much money here if they were able to build heels for him (ugh, we’ll get to that). I believe the purple gloves version of the Undertaker was the coolest and best version presentation wise, by far. It’s a shame that the era is riddled with such weak booking decisions (we’ll get to that too).

Now, the presentation, especially the entrance was so good…there was no way to take this match seriously (there was barely a reason to take this match seriously to begin with). How was there any chance of Dibiase’s Undertaker winning this match? This is why it should have been a squash. The entire angle was based around which Undertaker was real, and that question was answered immediately once Paul Bearer’s Undertaker showed up. Nevermind that this had to follow the epic Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Cage Match. I know there are stories that the angle was supposed to continue and there was supposed to be a two-Undertaker team or some hogwash, but after watching Brian Lee try to be Undertaker, I just didn’t see how that was going to work. Lastly, for anyone who thinks that Mark Calaway is just a gimmick, watch this match. This match shows that had anyone else tried to be the Undertaker, it ends up as wrestlecrap. The match was technically worked just fine, but the negative three stars come from the complete apathy from the crowd. There was no good reason to be invested in a fake Undertaker here.

Match 26: The Undertaker vs. Kwang
Monday Night RAW (9/12/94)

Fun fact about this match: this match was taped before Summerslam, which I imagine would have been confusing for the crowd. Also, his opponent is Kwang, who is B.S.K. buddy Savio Vega. The purple lights work so much better for Undertaker. Kwang approaches Undertaker, but Taker turns his head to show he’s watching Kwang’s every move. Taker hits a boot then takes Kwang down with a haymaker. Kwang hits Taker in the back, but there’s no effect. Big slam sends Kwang crashing to the canvas, but of course he misses the elbow. Karate kick sends Taker to the outside. Kwang teases the red mist, but Taker hangs Kwang on the top rope.

Old School sends Kwang back down to the canvas. Taker misses the clothesline, and Kwang gets a baseball slide that sends Taker to the outside. Commercial break, and we come back with Kwang pounding away on Undertaker. Taker looks to get control back, but Kwang catches him with a kick. Kwang knocks Taker to the outside with a clothesline, but Taker lands on his feet. Taker grabs Kwang by the throat, but Kwang gets the mist! Taker then spits the mist right back, which is pretty awesome. Great looking chokeslam ends the match.

Rating: **1/4 (2.25)

Fun little match here! Kwang even got some solid offense in, but Undertaker looked amazing in a solid RAW win. At the end of the match, we’re now hyping up another Casket Match between Taker and Yokozuna for Survivor Series. That’s ten weeks away here.

So yes, after Undertaker disposed of Underfaker, revenge on Yokozuna for the Royal Rumble remained. Before that, we’re actually going to watch a Superstars match though that took place a few days before. This match was on the Undertaker: He Buries Them Alive video tape, so I have a nostalgic connection to it.

Match 27: The Undertaker vs. Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart
Superstars (11/19/94)

This aired a few days before Survivor Series and the big rematch against Yokozuna. Undertaker stalks Neidhart and Owen Hart around the ring. Neidhart slides in and pounds away on Taker. Big boot sends Neidhart to the canvas. Taker gets a choke before going Old School. Short-arm clothesline from Undertaker. Neidhart ducks the flying clothesline, then hits a regular one, knocking Undertaker down. Undertaker sits up. Neidhart gets a powerslam, then gets a choke himself. Paul Bearer then leaves, to everyone’s confusion. Neihart now has complete control, pounding away on Undertaker. Suplex from Neidhart, but Taker kicks out of the pin and sits up. Paul Bearer returns with the casket, which leads to Owen Hart freaking out. Undertaker gets back to his feet as Neidhart continues to pound away. Taker makes his comeback and hits a flying tackle. Running big boot sends Neihart into the casket, and Neidhart’s reaction is incredible. Neidhart runs away and gets counted out.

Fun little match here, and Neidhart got a lot of offense too! Not much to say about it, but it’s nice to see some matches with Undertaker against guys he can do different things with.

Right after the match with Neidhart, we get a promo from IRS at a funeral home about outstanding taxes. IRS worked for Ted Dibiase’s Million Dollar Corporation, so let’s keep that in mind.

Also, there really wasn’t much build-up for the second casket match between Yokozuna and Undertaker other than revenge for Taker. Yoko had went through a lot since the Royal Rumble. He dropped the WWF Title to Bret Hart at Wrestlemania and had mostly been out of the main event scene since. In fact, this would be the end of main event Yoko sans for a small run in late ’95.

series94.png

Match 28: Casket Match: The Undertaker vs. Yokozuna
Survivor Series 1994 (11/23/94)

Chuck Norris
is at ringside for this one, I guess to make sure what happened at the Royal Rumble doesn’t happen here. Another awesome entrance from Undertaker here. Taker points to the casket, and Yoko falls on his ass in fear. Yoko tries to escape the ring, but Taker catches him. Yoko gets an early avalanche in the corner, but it has no effect on Undertaker. Big shot from Undertaker sends Yoko to the outside, and he lands on the casket. Yoko drags Undertaker to the outside, but Taker is still in control. Taker slams Yoko into the steps. Back in the ring Undertaker beats down on Yoko then hits Old School. Yoko stops Undertaker cold with a Samoan drop, but Undertaker sits up. Clothesline knocks Undertaker down with a clothesline, but another sit up from Yoko. Headbutts knock Undertaker down again, but again Taker comes back, hanging Yoko on the top rope.

Big elbowdrop misses from Undertaker (as always). Yoko gets the uranage, and then Yoko drops the big leg when Taker tries to sit up. Yoko rolls Taker into the casket, but Taker blocks Yoko trying to shut it. Taker punches Yoko until Yoko falls into the casket. They pound away on one another until Mr. Fuji grabs Undertaker’s hair. Taker goes after Fuji, but Jim Cornette ends up being the one to take a bump when he tries to help. This allows Yoko to slam Undertaker, but Taker is back up. Yoko sends Taker into the steps and is in complete control. The match slows to a crawl with Yoko in control. Taker comes back with a clothesline and a kick, then slams Yoko to the canvas on the backdrop attempt (woulda liked to see that DDT though). Undertaker heads to the top rope and hits the flying clothesline (I think that’s the 2nd time we’ve seen that one). Taker rolls Yoko over, trying to get him to the casket.

As Undertaker rolls Yoko, King Kong Bundy showed up, and Chuck Norris looks ready. Bam Bam Bigelow makes his way down too (why couldn’t we get a Taker-Bam Bam PPV match?) Neither challenges Norris. With Norris distracted, IRS runs in to attack Undertaker. IRS locks Taker in the sleeper, then leaves him in the casket. (Note: IRS, Bundy, and Bigelow were all Million Dollar Corporation members). Yoko slowly gets back to his feet to close the lid, but the Undertaker pops out and grabs Yoko by the throat. Jeff Jarrett comes down and actually gets in Norris’s face, and Norris superkicks him. Jarrett, Bundy, and Bigelow leave as Taker pounds away on Yoko. Taker gets the flying clothesline off the ropes, then drops Yoko with that DDT. Running big boot sends Yoko flying into the casket. Taker breaks the Japanese flag (which I was surprised to see wasn’t edited out, it is on youtube) and slams the lid shut to win. We wouldn’t see Yoko again until Wrestlemania XI. Taker had a feud with the Million Dollar Corporation to look forward to.

The only thing hurting the grade is that IRS took Undertaker out rather easily (where was he in 1994?!). Otherwise, this almost felt like an extended squash to finish off Yokozuna. I thought the Rumble was more energetic, but this was fine. The last shot of the show is the Undertaker hair flip and eyes being rolled back into his head that would be a part of his titantron for a long while afterwards. We got a good definitive ending here as well, can’t complain about that. It’s a shame the WWF didn’t have a top heel with the WWF Title here because really that’s where Undertaker should have gone next. But it was Diesel Power time so.

Match 29: The Undertaker vs. The Brooklyn Brawler
Monday Night RAW (12/26/94)

HBK
is on commentary for this one, so that should be fun. Undertaker counters an early headlock with a side suplex. Old School and flying clothesline hit for Taker, then he sends the Brawler into the ring post shoulder-first. Tombstone and that’s it. Brawler got nothing here, as it should be. IRS shows up with druids as RAW goes off the air. Gotta build that match somehow.

Paint-by-the-numbers squash here, but Undertaker looked great doing it. We’re off to the Rumble.

Match 30: The Undertaker vs. Irwin R. Schyster
1995 Royal Rumble (1/22/95)

For some reason IRS’s tie stands out in a way it shouldn’t. I can’t really explain it. The match takes forever to begin before IRS busts out a dropkick to the back of Undertaker. There’s no effect though, and IRS bails as soon as he realizes it. Vince McMahon says on commentary that IRS’s technical skills rivals Bret Hart’s, so at least I got a good laugh from this one. More stalling, before IRS bails to the outside again. IRS finally gets some shots in on Taker, but Taker sends him flying with a big boot. Taker sends IRS back and forth into the turnbuckles, then tosses him across the ring with IRS’s tie. Old School is next, and Dibiase gets on the apron. IRS almost accidentally hits Dibiase, and Taker sends IRS flying over the top rope. Dibiase calls for someone and here come some druids.

IRS tries to get a cheap shot but Undertaker catches him with an elbow. Taker goes for another Old School, but a druid shakes the top rope and sends Taker flying. Taker sits up. IRS gets a clothesline that sends Undertaker to the outside, but Taker lands on his feet and goes for the druids. IRS attacks from behind. The druids pound on Taker, then IRS gets an abdominal stretch back in the ring. Undertaker counters with a hips toss and a slam, but of course misses the big elbow. IRS hits the Write-Off Clothesline and an elbow. He hits another one, then a legdrop. IRS misses a splash, but then they collide in the middle of the ring. A druid enters the ring and puts IRS on Undertaker, but Taker sits up to kick out. After some more druid interference, Taker goes for the Tombstone, but the druids distract the Undertaker enough for IRS to get another Write-Off. Taker sits up and chokeslams IRS, and that’s good for the three.

Post-match the druids attack Undertaker, but Taker takes them out. King Kong Bundy shows up and comes face-to-face with Undertaker while IRS attacks Paul Bearer to steal the urn. This allows Bundy to leave Undertaker lying. The feud must continue!

This match sucked without the gimmick, but the druid stuff only made it worse. While it’s a good thing they didn’t pretend IRS was on the same level of Undertaker, the match went too long with the druids and stuff. We also now have to deal with another urn storyline, and apparently a few elbows from King Kong Bundy was enough to leave Taker lying since he has no urn powers. Whatever. Anyway that’s your Wrestlemania XI match, and we’ve got the storyline already set.

takerbundy.png

Match 31: The Undertaker vs. King Kong Bundy
Wrestlemania XI (4/2/95)

Fun fact: the referee for this match was baseball umpire Larry Young. Apparently Young wanted to do a chest bump with Undertaker, but Undertaker shut that idea down immediately.

The Million Dollar Corporation still has possession of the urn. Vince McMahon mentions for the first time that Undertaker has never lost at Wrestlemania, although he was only 3-0 at this point. Bundy tries to attack Undertaker from behind, but Taker was ready for him and sends him into the corner. We get Old School early, but Bundy doesn’t go down until the third one. Bundy gets a clothesline that sends Taker to the outside, but he lands on his feet and grabs the urn from Ted Dibiase. Fans pop for that, it’s amazing what this character got people to care about. Dibiase asks for someone to come down, and Kama attacks Paul Bearer and gets the urn back.

Undertaker tries to stop Kama, but Bundy attacks Undertaker from behind. Bundy gets a slam while Kama brags to Jim Ross that he’s going to melt down the urn. Bundy gets a couple of clotheslines, which look horrible. Bundy gets a slam and a kneedrop. Taker kicks out of a pin and Bundy locks in a chinlock. Taker finally fights out, but Bundy hits him in the back. Bundy gets the avalanche, but it was no effect on the Undertaker (so much for the urn!). Bodyslam from Taker, then the flying clothesline finishes, rather abruptly.

That DUD rating is probably generous, but I felt this could have been way worse. B because Undertaker won and had a strong finish, but gosh does this feud with the Million Dollar Corporation suck. Funny enough (or sadly), the Corporation can’t even get a win, they’ve just rotated losers so far and stole the urn to keep the feud going.

While Kama held onto the urn, we get a little bit of a distraction as summer comes. The Undertaker enters the King of the Ring tournament. What’s the worst that can happen here?

Match 32: King of the Ring Qualifier: The Undertaker vs. Jeff Jarrett
Monday Night RAW (5/29/95)

This one might be good! The winner of this one takes on Mabel at King of the Ring. Jeff Jarrett runs from Undertaker as he tries to buy time. Jarrett gets shots in, but Undertaker throws him backwards. Huge chop which Jarrett sells like a million bucks into the corner. Old School sends Jarrett down to the canvas. Headbutt from Undertaker staggers Jarrett. Taker hits the ropes, but the Roadie tries to trip him. Distraction doesn’t work and Taker slams Jarrett. Undertaker misses the big elbow and sends Taker to the outside. Taker of course lands on his feet and goes after Roadie, but Jarrett gets a chop block. Jarrett sends Taker into the steps and Roadie gets some cheap shots.

Jarrett stomps away on Undertaker, then hits a nice dropkick. A beautiful second dropkick knocks Undertaker down. Jarrett chokes Undertaker in the ropes, then drops all his weight on Taker. Jarrett off the second rope with a clothesline, but Undertaker kicks out. Jarrett starts to kick the legs out of Undertaker. We come back from commercial, and Jarrett is all over the legs. Figure-Four is locked in! Jarrett and Roadie cheat too, but Paul Bearer chases Roadie off. That doesn’t stop Jarrett from cheating, but Undertaker gets back to his feet. Taker starts to fight back and grabs Jarrett by the throat. Taker sends Jarrett into the corner, but Jarrett comes out of the corner with a neckbreaker. Flying fist drop from the top rope connects. Jarrett struts, but the Undertaker sits up! Undertaker makes his comeback and hits the flying clothesline. Jarrett still manages to fight back, but when he comes off the top rope with an axhandle smash Undertaker catches him and chokeslams him down! Taker drops Jarrett with a second chokeslam Undertaker calls for the Tombstone in an awesome moment. Tombstone gets the three count.

Rating: ***1/4 (3.25)

Maybe Undertaker vs. smaller heels works better?! Really fun match here, with Jeff Jarrett looking like a star, and Undertaker finishing off Jeff in dominating fashion. This is the first singles match to reach three stars since we began these reviews. We have a squash before we get to King of the Ring.

Match 33: The Undertaker vs. Mike McReynolds
Monday Night RAW (6/19/95)

Undertaker
kicks off RAW. Taker wastes no time with McReynolds. Big boot knocks McReynolds silly. McReynolds botches getting thrown into the corner, but it ends up looking better as Taker slams him down to the canvas. Taker does something new and stomps away at McReynolds in the tree of woe. Chokeslam was a little awkward. Tombstone follows, and that’s that. Paul Bearer brings out a body bag for some reason and he and Taker put McReynolds in it. Taker then hits McReynolds with a running stomp with McReynolds trapped in it…how heelish?

Just a squash…but what was the deal with the postmatch attack? I don’t think that stuck, but I dropped the grade a little bit.

takermabelone.png

Match 34: King of the Ring First Round: The Undertaker vs. Mabel
1995 King of the Ring (6/25/95)

Mabel
won his qualifier at In Your House, defeating Adam Bomb. We just did Undertaker vs. Jeff Jarrett so see how Undertaker got here. With Shawn Michaels getting eliminated via a draw earlier, the fans were all behind Taker to win the tournament at this point. Undertaker is still urnless here. Taker and Mabel face-off before Taker starts punching away at him. Undertaker knocks Mabel down with a hard clothesline after a few attempts, then hits Old School. Mabel counters an Irish whip and messes up a belly-to-belly suplex. Mabel sends Taker to the outside with a clothesline, but Taker lands on his feet. Mabel hits Undertaker in a weird spot in the ropes and Undertaker’s foot gets caught in the ropes. Mabel has had two offensive moves, and both have been botched.

Undertaker gets free and Mabel is in control. Mabel finally gets the belly-to-belly, then gets a camel clutch. Doc Hendrix brings up that if this match goes to a draw then the winner of Savio Vega vs. The Roadie would win King of the Ring. No wonder WCW kicked their ass. Mabel finally releases but continues to pound away on Taker. Mabel sends Taker into the ring steps, then Mo gets some shots in. Mabel sends Undertaker flying into the corner, and Taker sells it well, trying to get the crowd to react to something. Suplex from Mabel, but Taker just kicks out of the pin. Headbutts from Mabel. Slam from Mabel, and then he sits and nearly falls off Undertaker for a two count. Undertaker finally gets a big boot then knocks Mabel down with a clothesline. Mabel pulls out a piledriver of all things, but Taker kicks out of that. Taker and Mabel collide, and both go down.

Mabel misses an elbow, although he actually hits Undertaker with it. Taker makes a comeback and hits a Stinger Splash. Mabel accidentally whips Taker into the referee, then Taker knocks him down with the flying clothesline. Taker chokeslams Mabel, which is pretty impressive. Taker goes for the cover, but Kama runs down and just kicks Undertaker in the back of the head. Legdrop from Mabel…and Mabel gets the pinfall.

Kama attacks Undertaker afterwards, but suddenly Undertaker is back on his feet and chasing him down.

Rating: -**1/2 (-2.5)
Grade: D

Look, I get all the urnless stuff, but WWF just used the first pinfall loss of Undertaker since Hulk Hogan pinned him at This Tuesday in Texas on Mabel! Mabel! Now if the finish was strong, maybe it could be okay. But a kick to the head and a legdrop? THAT’s what finally took down the Undertaker? I was thinking about giving this a DUD despite some botches as we did get some solid power moves later in the match, but the finish just killed it. Of all the people to go with as a top heel, Mabel was such a weird choice. Man this was rough.

Time to get back to the Million Dollar Corporation storyline.

Match 35: The Undertaker vs. Tatanka
Monday Night RAW (8/21/95)

Tatanka
is also part of The Million Dollar Corporation. Really what a bunch of losers. No wonder 1995 sucked for the WWF. Tatanka at one time was a popular act, but his heel turn the year prior never worked out for him. Undertaker goes to work on Tatanka. Taker slams Tatanka face-first on the canvas, then hits Old School. Taker chokes Tatanka in the corner, but Tatanka finally gets a shot in and a slam. Tatanka slams Undertaker, but Taker sits up. Tatanka hits a botched Samoan drop, where Taker lands on his side. Tatanka pounds on Taker then hits another slam before going to the headlock.

Undertaker fights out of the headlock and hits Tatanka with a side suplex. Undertaker gets a big boot, then runs over Tatanka with a clothesline as we get a commercial break. We come back Tatanka is back in control until Taker hits him with the flying clothesline. Taker goes for the Tombstone, but Tatanka escapes and hits a clothesline. Tatanka misses another clothesline and gets chokeslammed. Tombstone finishes.

Tatanka’s offense just isn’t that interesting overall. Good win for Undertaker, although I lowered the grade because I’m sick of the Million Dollar Corporation.

It’s time to finish this feud, which began a year ago with the Undertaker vs. Underfaker battle. Kama destroyed a wreath then attacked Taker’s creatures of the night on Superstars or something, as a final build. Kama still has the urn, now represented by chains (which I actually thought was cool). Also, this is a Casket Match for some reason. Fine by me.

0bea6adc1b24db33-600x338.jpg

Match 36: Casket Match: The Undertaker vs. Kama
Summerslam 1995 (8/27/95)

I haven’t been commenting on awesome Undertaker entrances as I’m just so sick of this feud, but this one is another great one. Speaking of this year-long crappy feud, how is Kama the blowoff? I feel like Sid would have been a stronger option, although I get Taker and Kama were close friends (BSK!)

Fans go nuts as Undertaker attacks Kama. Treetop choke from Taker is pretty impressive on a guy Kama’s size. Kama gets thrown onto the casket, then Taker levels him with a clothesline. Kama gets some blows in, but Taker gets a Stinger Splash. Old School knocks Kama down. Taker throws Kama into the casket, but Kama jumps out. Kama takes out Undertaker with a flying clothesline. Kama gets a roundhouse kick, then Kama catches Undertaker’s Stinger Splash attempt and slams him. Gotta say, that was a cool spot. Taker sit sup, but Kama is all over him. Taker then headscissors (!) Kama into the casket. Ted Dibiase distracts Undertaker, allowing Kama to escape the casket.

Kama slows things down and pounds away on Undertaker. Kama hits some impressive kicks in his offense. Kama clotheslines Undertaker onto the casket. Ted Dibiase gets shots in on Taker, and Paul Bearer goes nuts. Taker makes a comeback, slamming Kama in the steps. He then goes after Dibiase, but that’s the distraction Kama needed. Kama rams Undertaker into the post, then slams Undertaker into the casket. Kama then suplexes Undertaker on the casket lid, followed by a baseball slide. Kama sets Taker up for a piledriver on the casket, but Taker backdrops Kama into the ring in a cool spot. I gotta say, I’m enjoying this match way more than I expected (I’ve also seen it before, yet don’t remember any of this).

The crowd gets into it as Undertaker is back in control…until Kama gets a powerslam. Kama makes a cover, but it’s a Casket Match so that’s not gonna help. Kama moves to a headlock and uses the ropes for leverage. Paul Bearer makes the save for Undertaker, but then Kama takes him down again with the headlock. Taker finally escapes with the belly-to-back suplex. Kama sends Taker hard into the corner, but he misses an elbowdrop. Taker and Kama slug it out, but Taker gets him with the flying clothesline. Taker clotheslines Kama over the top rope, but Taker goes over too and they both go into the casket and the casket is closed. Kama tries to get out, but Undertaker pulls him back in. Taker gets out, but Kama escapes. Kama hits a spinning neckbreaker then calls for the casket to be open. Kama misses a clothesline and Undertaker plants him with the chokeslam! The fans lose their minds when Taker calls for the finish. Tombstone plants Kama, and Taker rolls him over into the casket to win.

Rating: *** (3)

This was surprisingly good! I think it went a little long, but this was the first match were I felt the whole “Undertaker is weaker because he doesn’t have the urn” deal is actually earned through the match due to Kama’s offense. Undertaker won a hard fought match, which we really haven’t seen yet, and it only added to his character and aura. This also ended the feud with the Million Dollar Corporation. The scoreboard on that one: Undertaker beat Underfaker at Summerslam ’94, IRS at the Rumble, King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania, Tatanka on RAW and finally Kama. Despite the feud being so one-sided in the win-loss column, none of those guys could conceivably beat Undertaker (I guess Bundy could have). Taker never fought Bam Bam on TV when he was part of the stable, and never fought Sid, which would have made some sense at least. For anyone curious, the Corporation pretty much fizzled out from here. The turn of the 1-2-3 Kid and the debut of Steve Austin was all that was left really. As for Undertaker, we have an interesting set coming up, although we still haven’t recovered the urn, and we aren’t finished with Mabel. But that’s for next time.​

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
The list has peaked with the appearance of Jeff Jarrett.

Also, all hail King Mabel!

But seriously, enjoying this walk back. A lot of these I either don't remember or never knew about, like the Kama casket match. Will have to check that one out.

• Love
Reactions: RDT