Mark Out Matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Vita

Reaction score
With mark Out Matches further and further between I thought a compilation of them where people voiced opinions and posted videos would be great. In terms of recently I'm sure most people would say Punk vs Cena at MITB and you'd get no argument from me.

This however was my biggest mark out match ever. Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit vs Triple H and Stone Cold Steve Austin for the World Tag Team Championships in 2001, just prior to the alliance invasion.

Quick background: Austin had turned heel at Mania on The Rock by teaming up with McMahon. Formed the 'Two Man Power Trip' with Triple H, as Austin was World Champ and HHH became IC Champ. They then won the world tag team gold from Undertaker and Kane and held off challenges from them. Then this match happened, two underdog, upper mid card guys trying to get the job done where the brothers of destruction failed.

Of Note: this is the match where HHH blew his quad.

[YOUTUBE]_2cCNvmICUA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]4qBnbYxiAmI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The Rock v Triple H Iron Man @ Judgment Day 2000 was madness.

So much going on at once, like DX, Briscoe & Patterson, Shane & Vince beating the shit out of Rock while HBK was distracted, then BANG Taker returns and lays everyone out.

Same thing at Backlash too when Austin came back and trashed everyone with the chair.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Ummm I mark out a lot watching wrestling. I'm just a pure fan. I'm a wrestling hybrid. So I'd pretty much be posting every decent match that has ever happened.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Laugh if you want but Jerry Lynn winning the ECW title was a big markout moment for me since I had been following him since the early 90's. Many others but that's the key one for me.

MiAMiHEAT

Reaction score
^^I certainly wouldn't laugh at that.
Different people marked/mark for different stuff.

#1 for me:

[youtube]7yrZpXgH9LA[/youtube]

[youtube]cusifJaHB0k[/youtube]

Thiswasn't the greatest ever match, but the storyline is probably the best I have ever witnessed. After months of Sting playing the world and not speaking a word, he finally let us know which side he was on.

[youtube]UljmYMG6tkY[/youtube]

Amazing. Sting had been in the match where Hogan turned on THE WORLD and joined the nWo at BATB '96. After that, the fake Sting had caused Sting trouble by attacking his friends and his WCW pals didn't trust the real Sting anymore. Sting left for a while, came back, but never took a side. He'd sit in the rafters for months. And then finally he returned at that Uncensored and cleaned house on the nWo.

The match itself wasn't the greatest but it was decent. A lot of people didn't like the finish, but as a 12 year old, I remember being so pissed that Hogan won when crooked ref Nick Patrick fast counted a Hogan victory. But when Bret Hart of all people came down to reverse it [ lol ], I remember me and my cousin going nuts. And then the Scorpion Deathlock. It was heaven for us, especially me, because I always hated the nWo. Even when the Four Horsemen would go against nWo, I went with the Horsemen, and I HATED Flair and them as a kid. I don't know if there will ever be or ever was a greater buildup to a match. From Sting being betrayed by Hogan at Bash at the Beach 96, to Sting being questioned by his WCW'ers when the fake Sting attacked Luger, to Sting finally showing his true colors at Uncensored '97, the stuff between then and Starrcade, and then the match itself. My first Mark Out Match.

Altervers

Reaction score
Here is an odd one but none the less i remember being so excited at the conclusion of this match. It was the Undertaker vs Maven match from 2002 where Maven wins the belt from Taker with interference from The Rock. I was left in shock after this and this was about 2 years before i ever came across a spoiler so it made that match even more memorable to me.

Another one for me was Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle in a steel cage from Raw in June 2001, the match had me on the edge of the couch the whole time. Regardless of what happened with Benoit years later i will always respect his performance in this and several other of his matches.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Bret Hart Submission match at Wrestlemania 13.

It wasn't the best one but for me, it was good. Showed how tough he really is. I really started to call him the toughest SOB after this match.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Markout... I'ma have to go to ECW. The Raven/Dreamer feud. Every match... every time those two went at it... it would get so close, look so close but Raven would win each and every time. Each and every time until one time. That one time Dreamer FINALLY beat Raven. I mean years long this has been going on and finally... Dreamer gets the pin on Raven.

That's a markout moment right there. ECW! ECW!

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Definitley Rock/Hogan from WrestleMania. Granted it wasn't a great match, but the whole atmosphere and two of the biggest legends of all time going one-on-one just made it my favourite match of all time I think.

If someone can post it up from YouTube or something rep will certainly head their way.

PY.

Reaction score
Summerslam : Non-Sanctioned Match - Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels

I could still watch that match and mark out like crazy. I grew up watching HBK, and to see him come back after what I thought was a career ending injury, I bugged out.

Other notables:

Hogan vs. The Rock @ Wrestlemania - At the time, it was the biggest Wrestlemania match in history. (Or it was dubbed as it.)
Chris Jericho vs. Triple H - The Raw where it was believed Jericho won the match and his first World title.

And a more recent one, CM Punk vs. John Cena at MITB.

Got_Swag

Reaction score
Randy Orton versus Chris Benoit at Summerslam for the World Title was a mark out match. It was overall a classic in itself and Orton winning had me mark out because I didn't see it.