Marc Ratner Reveals UFC Targeting 2015 Event in San Juan, Puerto Rico

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
Marc Ratner reveals UFC targeting 2015 event in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Well, it looks like that one guy in the press conferences can stop asking UFC officials when they’re coming to Puerto Rico.

In an interview with UFC.com, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner revealed the company is targeting next year for the promotion’s long-awaited return to Puerto Rico.

“I’m going to Puerto Rico to meet with the athletic commission and some government officials there because we do want to fight there sometime in 2015 (in San Juan),â€￾ Ratner told UFC.com. “And this will be setting it up. Making sure they use the Unified Rules.â€￾

In March, the UFC announced that the promotion was “committed to growing the sport on the island of Puerto Rico,â€￾ hiring longtime boxing promoter Peter Rivera to serve as a UFC representative on the unincorporated territory of the U.S.

The UFC has previously hosted just one event in Puerto Rico, as the promotion visited Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in February 1996 for “UFC 8: David vs. Goliath.â€￾ Still, the island has long been a powerhouse in the boxing world, producing such as talent as Felix “Titoâ€￾ Trinidad, Miguel Cotto, Hector “Machoâ€￾ Camacho, John John Molina and Wilfredo Gomez, among others.

Ratner believes that history will help make the UFC successful there, as well.

“It’s a big boxing country, no question there,â€￾ Ratner stated. “I think it’s a natural place for UFC. I think we have to get more fighters there. One of our champions, Anthony Pettis, is from Puerto Rico. So they know about combat sports. Obviously, we need to do more pay-per-view work there and more television work there. But I think if we bring a show there, we’ll do great.â€￾

MMAJunkie