Managers, asset or hindrance?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Angelo

Reaction score
jimmy-hart-pictures-02.jpg

The WWE superstars are increasingly dressed managers, after a lean period for these characters integral to the wrestling industry. You can count jumble Vickie Guerrero, Abraham Washington, Paul Heyman, Ricardo Rodriguez, and rumors are even considering the return of Ric Flair to support Dolph Ziggler.

These managers are used as stooges, their role is to fill in gaps in their wrestlers managed, particularly with regard to the charisma and mic-skill. Their overall role is to legitimize a wrestler in his rise in the map. One can also find sensible managers receive feedback from the public, including by making them laugh (Ricardo Rodriguez) or by doping the heat of a heel (Vickie Guerrero).

These managers can be a great help to eradicate a wrestler of his status when he is down card. But they can have a perverse effect by limiting the progression of a wrestler in learning the mastery in the microwave, as long as the manager has the promo easy.

So what do you think?

Reactions: 1 person

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
Well, I think a good manager is always an asset. I mean, look at Paul Bearer. It would've been much more difficult for The Undertaker and Kane for that matter to get over to the degree that they did without him. He was an integral part in their mythos.

However, I do think a bad manager is a hindrance. Take, for example, Vickie Guerrero. Managers are used for people who can't cut a very good promo on their own. Vickie being with Jack Swagger makes sense. He has problems drawing heat on his own and cutting promos, thus Vickie is a crucial part of Swagger. Dolph Ziggler, on the other hand, is being held back by being with Vickie. He can draw heat by himself and he can cut a promo by himself. Being with Vickie is holding him back from things he could do on his own.

It's very tricky finding a manager who works and compliments a wrestler instead of waters them down but managers, overall, are great tools and not used enough in today's age IMO.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Asset

If used correctly. Right now Dolph doesn't need vickie but I'd say Swagger does. Del Rio need Ricardo (he's the more popular of the two imo) Heyman is being used perfectly in that scenario.

It's always just a matter of why the wrestler that has a manager needs them and if they fulfill it.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If used correctly they can be a huge asset. They are a great way to help get someone over and to cover the weaknesses of their clients. Especially helpful for wrestlers who struggle on the mic as the manager can do all the talking for them. Unfortunately WWE don't seem too interested in having managers these days when this would be the best time to use them to help get more wrestlers over and closer to the mainevent.

WWE have some talented managers on the roster but don't use them. Matt Striker is a great manager, look at what he did for Big Daddy V, he helped sell that gimmick and make him a threatening heel for the first time in a decade. At the moment Striker does a bit of commentary but not much and so why not get him back on television as a manager. Vickie does an excellent job of getting heel heat for her clients but Ziggler really needs to move away from her because he is now being held back by being part of that deal. Give Vickie a completely new heel to manage. Hopefully AW can turn into something good as well.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Maryse managing Ted DiBiase is the only time I can recall a manager being a hinderance off the top of my head, although I still think there was loads of potential there. I would say Vickie has become redundant rather than a detriment. She gets the fans standing and booing as Dolph makes his entrance. I can't say with any certainty that Dolph would be where he's at if not for Vickie, she's helped him immensly but everyone knows that its time for him to move on. Overall, she was still very effective. If nothing else, she pretty much guaranteed Ziggler regular airtime all these years.

Abraham Washington is the real deal imo, I've missed the fuck out of him since ECW(WE). He just commands so much authority on the mic. Some may find him loud and annoying, but that's whats gonna make him excell as a heel. After all, any good manager at ringside will never let you forget they're there.

Irish Mark

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on the manager. Vickie has been a big drawback for Ziggler and to a lesser extent, Swagger. But AW has been good for O'Neal and Young in that they have a feud and are the most featured tag team in WWE.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't see the point in them if they aren't contributing in any real way.

Vickie does nothing for anyone now, there is no point in her appearing on TV.

Compare that to a Mr Fuji *salt to the eyes*, or Heenan distracting the ref everyway possible and it shows that todays managers/valets are just a hinderance and need better booking. The last real manager IMO was either Melina for MNM, or Lita for Edge.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Managers are always there to help, if someone doesn't know how to connect with an audience, marble mouths of the 80s were always paired up with the best and they were hotshotted all the way to Hogan.

People now without managers are left to languish in mediocrity, Ziggler needed Vickie when he was nowhere on Smackdown a year ago, he doesn't need her now. He has connected with people. Managers are good help. But they need to be people you either love to hate or hate for the right reasons.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Like people have already mentioned, if at all depends on the talents involved and what position they're in. Ideally managers would be used to push and develop a guy from midcard status to main event status because even though it's a group effort, the main eventers are the spearhead and I guess you can say the most important guys.

Like i'm still undecided on AW pairing with the PTP because let's be real here, the guys are midcard acts at absolute best and will never become main eventers so I kind of feel as though they're wasting AW with them. Take Mason Ryan for example, sure he's green as fuck but he had main event potential about him because of his look and you combine that with AW's mic skills then it could have been a success.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
The idea is good, it all depends on the execution. I still think that managers can be very important for lower midcard guys struggled to find a niche.

Irish Mark

Banned
Reaction score
I hate to bring the guy up but I always thought Chris Benoit needed someone like Paul Heyman or Bobby Heenan to cut his promos. I know he won the WHC but the guy could have been the face of the company! He never got the push that Kurt Angle or JBL got for example and that is 99% because he couldn't talk IMO.

Managers, when used well can transcend the main event or mid card and just be successful at all levels. See Bobby Heenan.

AW is a guy I see having a major part to play in WWE over the next few years if given the right "clients." Tensai or some variation of Matt Bloom's various gimmicks could really use AW. I would add Tensai to AW Promotions next.

Other guys with main event potential who could use a skilled manager like AW include Mason Ryan, Drew McIntyre, Kofi Kingston and Ryback.

Guys who just flat out need a manager are, IMO of course, Tysonn Kidd & Justin Gabriel, Ted DiBiasi, Sin Cara, Trent Barretta, Yoshi Tatsu and Zeke Jackson.

Angelo

Reaction score
Abraham Washington is the real deal imo, I've missed the fuck out of him since ECW(WE). He just commands so much authority on the mic. Some may find him loud and annoying, but that's whats gonna make him excell as a heel. After all, any good manager at ringside will never let you forget they're there.

WTF ? I can not stand AW since his shitty ECW show and then when I saw him at FCW (a wannabe Rock in the ring). In fact, I support neither fair nor his voice its mouth lol

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The Abraham Washington Show was so awesome, I don't know what you're talking about Angelo. He can be a great manager.

Angelo

Reaction score
Dont know i just cant stand him. And seriously what do you think is great in his ECW show ?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Abraham needs Tony Atlas to save him again.

Tony's laugh is more contagious than SARS.