Major Plans For Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WarMachine1

Bringing the Internet Pain
Reaction score
At WrestleMania 34, the 5th annual Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal will take place. There’s backstage talk of pushing the match this year due to HBO Sports’ documentary on Andre the Giant premiering just 2 days after WrestleMania 34.

WWE officials think they would be able to work on more projects with Bill Simmons (the man behind the Andre documentary) & HBO Network if this Andre documentary draws strong viewership.

There have been talks of putting WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2018 inductee Bill Goldberg as a surprise participant in this year’s Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal match & most probably book him to win to push the importance of this match.

- originally from WWFOldSchool.com and picked up by various news sites.

I certainly wasn't expecting this and also understand wanting to push the match and make it seem like a bigger deal by booking bigger names to coincide with the Andre documentary.

However, I can't see what Goldberg winning would do or what benefit it would have.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
However, I can't see what Goldberg winning would do or what benefit it would have.
Personally if I was booking it I'd have Elias, Jinder or Killian Dain win it...
although I'm sure the fans would go crazy for a Goldberg cameo.

Speaking of which...can we get Cena vs. Goldberg or Orton vs. Goldberg
for Wrestlemania 35? I'd actually like to see both those matches.

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Seeing how the winners generally go on to do nothing with their careers...I approve. A big name like Goldberg entering it to win it would definitely make it more important.

Personally if I was booking it I'd have Elias, Jinder or Killian Dain win it...
although I'm sure the fans would go crazy for a Goldberg cameo.

Speaking of which...can we get Cena vs. Goldberg or Orton vs. Goldberg
for Wrestlemania 35? I'd actually like to see both those matches.
Cena actually might face Goldberg if Undertaker can't wrestle...but let's be real, Undertaker would probably drag himself to the ring even if his legs fell off.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Seeing how the winners generally go on to do nothing with their careers...I approve. A big name like Goldberg entering it to win it would definitely make it more important.
Yes...but we need to change that stigma about that match...use it to push
new stars...not just as an excuse for more nostalgic bullshit booking.

Cena actually might face Goldberg if Undertaker can't wrestle...
Hey I'm all for any kind of Part Timer vs. Part Timer feud...that way none
of the newer full time talent has to be shit on. Goldberg vs. Lesnar was
great (apart from Owens being squashed) because of that.

Goldberg vs. Batista would be cool...especially is Goldberg could score a
role in a Marvel movie...just imagine the Hollywood hype that match could
draw.

but let's be real, Undertaker would probably drag himself to the ring even if his legs fell off.
And I really don't want to see that. Let the Dead Man stay Dead Man...

Reactions: MildlyUpsetGerbil

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Yes...but we need to change that stigma about that match...use it to push
new stars...not just as an excuse for more nostalgic bullshit booking.

Hey I'm all for any kind of Part Timer vs. Part Timer feud...that way none
of the newer full time talent has to be shit on. Goldberg vs. Lesnar was
great (apart from Owens being squashed) because of that.

Goldberg vs. Batista would be cool...especially is Goldberg could score a
role in a Marvel movie...just imagine the Hollywood hype that match could
draw.

And I really don't want to see that. Let the Dead Man stay Dead Man...
There's a place for nostalgia on WrestleMania, I think, as long as those nostalgic moments don't overshadow the main roster too much. That makes the pre-show battle royale a good spot to sprinkle a little nostalgia. Besides, they like throwing in surprises for that match.

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I only want Goldberg to win it if he is coming back for some more matches. Otherwise it is a waste to give it to him

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
I think Goldberg should stay retired. Not that I dislike Goldberg or anything but I just think his feud with Brock was so well executed that I think he should just leave it at that and end on a high note. Even on his WWE24 special he put a lot of emphasis on the fact that this was exactly how he wanted to end things with the company.

The way they could make it feel more special is to have an upper card talent win it for once instead of a low-midcarder. Have someone like Strowman stand tall and get a push to a Universal title match right afterwards. That would help both the documentary, as Strowman's the hottest big man in the E right now, and the battle royal because the winner would actually benefit off of winning it. So the simple formula, to me, is to just have someone the company has faith in win the damn thing and move up the ranks