Madonna and Deadmau5 Resolve "Molly" Miami Fest Spat Over Twitter

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swinny

Reaction score
Madonna and Deadmau5 Resolve 'Molly' Miami Fest Spat Over Twitter

madonnadeadmau5p.jpg

The EDM leader took issue with what he perceived was Madonna's casual mention of a slang term for the drug ecstasy from the stage at Ultra Music Festival, first calling the pop icon a "f---ing idiot" and later imploring her to "be more aware" of what she represents to young dance music fans.

Like emails, texts and the sitcom Three’s Company, a from-the-stage rallying call can easily be misinterpreted -- in the case of Madonna and EDM (electronic dance music) superstar Deadmau5, when slang, song and drugs collide, the result is one hell of a Twitter rant.

It can’t be called a Twitter war because the divine Ms. M is not an active tweeter, but for the rare occasion of, say, releasing a new album (MDNA, out Monday and already No. 1 in 35 countries), she will indulge her fans -- and detractors -- in a quick Q&A.

That’s what went down late Monday night when Madonna, using the handle @MadonnaMDNAday and the hashtag #askmadonna, sat down at a computer and went to town answering questions like, “What is your favorite place to hide?â€￾ (her answer: “In my bathroomâ€￾) and “Have you ever worn a Snuggie? (“No, but Lola has.")

Among the tweeters was Deadmau5, who was still reeling from a comment Madonna made during a surprise appearance at Miami’s Ultra Music Festival. Taking the stage to introduce Swedish DJ Avicii, Madonna yelled to the crowd, “How many people in this crowd have seen Molly?"

For those in the know (or not), Molly is slang for MDMA, the drug better known as ecstacy. While a staple of all-night dance parties, the kind Deadmau5 might headline, the artist whose real name is Joel Zimmerman took issue with the comment, blasting Madonna in an 800-word rant posted to his Tumblr page and on Facebook, where he called the 53-year-old pop icon a "f---king IDIOT" and questioned, "That's your big message to ultra attendies? hipsterspeak for looking for drugs? F--k off."

Among the strong opinions Zimmerman voiced in greater length was the crux of his argument: be aware of the impressionable youngsters in the crowd. “I have my vices and some of them are probably more harmful than a recreational drug or two,â€￾ he wrote. “I smoke cigarettes … I drink a little bit too, which I’m sure has killed more people than double the combined amount of overdoses on any recreational drug you can name…. so, I try to make an effort as not to blatantly condone it in situations where the youngins are around. And trust me, the mau5 horde has plenty of little ones… So, I don’t see the dire need to be a constant dickfuck and stamp my vices all over my media outlets.â€￾

He continued: “We’ve taken EDM so far in the past decade. It really hurts me to see rampant ADVOCATION of extreme bullshit lifestyles to a genre that spans pretty much any age gap these days. ... Im not pro, or anti drug… but… ill easily let you know that im pro-responsibility.â€￾

And Zimmerman did not let up a day later, tweeting to @MadonnaMDNAday, “You're a role model to 100's of millions. You have a powerful voice,EDM could use your positive influence, not ‘molly’ talk.â€￾

@MadonnaMDNAday You're a role model to 100's of millions. You have a powerful voice,EDM could use your positive influence, not "molly" talk.

But rather than engage Zimmerman and the Mau5 horde, Madonna responded by posting a photo of herself with mouse ears (see above) and an explanation, which read: "From one mouse to another. I don't support drug use and I never have. I was referring to the song called 'Have You Seen Molly' written by my friend Cedric Gervais who I almost worked with on my last album ..."

Zimmerman accepted the response with another tweet, writing: “Fair enough, I was just voicing my concerns as I usually do. +1 respect for clearing it up personally.â€￾ He later added, "Regardless, just be a little more aware of what you *should* represent at EDM events, and ill watch my mouth."

@MadonnaMDNAday fair enough, i was just voicing my concerns as i usually do. +1 respect for clearing it up personally.

@deadmau5 Communication is always best. You should have called me first, we could have cleared it up "privately." ;) See you on the road.

After several more exchanges, the two came together over a “broken pinkie swearâ€￾ (illustrated by Madge with another tweeted photo) and in the end, it was she who had the last word. “Communication is always best,â€￾ wrote Madonna. “You should have called me first, we could have cleared it up ‘privately.’â€￾

THR

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Madonna is still a fucking idiot. Just sayin...

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
I follow Joel on Facebook and saw this whole thing when it went down. Madonna's always been about shock value, so there's not a doubt in my mind that her "Molly" comment was geared towards the junkies in the crowd, as much as it was a friendly shout-out to a producer/friend she almost worked with. On the same token, the name of her new album isn't simply a clever shortening of her own name, especially with its heavy House and Techno roots. She's absolutely trying to appeal to the EDM crowd.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I think Deadmau5 is a fuckin shitbag of a dj who relies on his own stunts to make news....that being said...she totally meant MDMA and as well she should have...Molly is damn good shit

NovaRoad

Reaction score
Website
stillskystudio.com
I think he's, to steal his word, a dickfuck. He's right about Madonna, he just carried on about it like a 6 year old girl and wouldn't let it go. It's a shame some of his music is downright kickass though. I only follow him because once in a while, he'll drop some names of awesome producers and DJs I haven't heard of yet.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
i do like some of his tracks but he is downright overrated just like the guy he hates Skrillex...thing is Skrillex doens't resort to cheap publicity stunts...I take guys like Wolfgang Gartner and Dada Life over Mau5 anyday

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Jeff Mills is the greatest DJ of all time...just saying.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler