London 2012: Official Olympics Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

tjScarbi

Reaction score
Absolutely banging, Boyle nailed it. We're going to have a wicked Olympics. Started of this morning with some table tennis, then watched a game of handball, not sure what to choose next from BBC's 24 Olympic channels ahaa!

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Ogogo and Joshua both won in the boxing but both have tough outs the next round, Tom Stalker is prol our best hope IMO.

Ryan

Reaction score
The opening ceremony wasn't as good as Beijing but I enjoyed it, especially Rowan Atkinson's appearance. I'm hyped for the track and field events. Jamaica's obviously going to dominate the short sprints, but as usual, America will dominate the quarter mile events. I want to see how LaShawn Merritt runs given that he's just recently got injured. So far, it looks like Michael Johnson's world record is gonna live to see the end of these games.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The opening ceremony wasn't as good as Beijing but I enjoyed it, especially Rowan Atkinson's appearance. I'm hyped for the track and field events. Jamaica's obviously going to dominate the short sprints, but as usual, America will dominate the quarter mile events. I want to see how LaShawn Merritt runs given that he's just recently got injured. So far, it looks like Michael Johnson's world record is gonna live to see the end of these games.

Pretty sure that's why some people didn't enjoy it as much as they should. They were comparing it to Beijing, which I seriously doubt could have been topped no matter what.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I didn't like the first half of the opening ceremony and I am surprised so many Brits liked it because it showed London in such a negative light. Basically there was a perfectly beautiful green patch of country and then they came along and destroyed it and polluted the area. Also celebrating the National Health Service is ridiculous, it would be like Australians celebrating Medicare, you celebrate more important things than that when on a global stage. Also I felt that they were trying way to hard to be PC. Bradley Wiggins showing up was great, so was the James Bond skit, Beckham was awesome as usual and then Rowan Atkinson saved the day with his performance on the piano. I also really liked Dizzee Rascal appearing live but I wish he stayed out there longer and the concert through the ages was fun. I just expected things to be more upbeat and not so dreary.

I have been watching plenty of action so far. Swimming has been good and it is nice that Australia got off the mark with a gold. Men's cycling road race was great last night, O'Grady started an attack and they managed to stay away the entire time even though Team GB were chasing the entire time. In the end letting 35 people escape was too many and I am glad that Vinokourov won with Uran second, nice to see some of the smaller nations get medals. Shame that Stuart O'Grady couldn't snatch bronze for Australia but he did well to get sixth.

AF.

Reaction score
Australia werent far off beating Brazil in the Basketball just then.

Patrick Mills played ridiculously good.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That was frustrating to watch, we started well and then left it all too late. Mills was great but Australia was terrible outside the arc for so long. Would have been good if Bogut wasn't injured, could have used him tonight. Now we will probably have to beat Russia to ensure we don't finish fourth and get the US.

The timezones are a bit annoying, the heats are on at a perfect time, early evening here, but the finals are on in the early hours of the morning. Too early to get up to watch which is a pity because I want to see the mens 4 x 100m final tomorrow morning, James Magnussen swam a brilliant final leg in the heats to get us the best lane and hopefully the guys can match the girls.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I didn't like the first half of the opening ceremony and I am surprised so many Brits liked it because it showed London in such a negative light. Basically there was a perfectly beautiful green patch of country and then they came along and destroyed it and polluted the area. Also celebrating the National Health Service is ridiculous, it would be like Australians celebrating Medicare, you celebrate more important things than that when on a global stage. Also I felt that they were trying way to hard to be PC. Bradley Wiggins showing up was great, so was the James Bond skit, Beckham was awesome as usual and then Rowan Atkinson saved the day with his performance on the piano. I also really liked Dizzee Rascal appearing live but I wish he stayed out there longer and the concert through the ages was fun. I just expected things to be more upbeat and not so dreary.

I have been watching plenty of action so far. Swimming has been good and it is nice that Australia got off the mark with a gold. Men's cycling road race was great last night, O'Grady started an attack and they managed to stay away the entire time even though Team GB were chasing the entire time. In the end letting 35 people escape was too many and I am glad that Vinokourov won with Uran second, nice to see some of the smaller nations get medals. Shame that Stuart O'Grady couldn't snatch bronze for Australia but he did well to get sixth.

Can't believe how badly you have misread that part Troy, there is no way that was intended to celebrate the national health service, it was more paying tribute to the great fairy tale stories which Britian have produced, and I liked the fact that it was scary rather than just sweet in a predictable way. Also how can you say a good health service (which we may or may not have) is a bad thing to celebrate?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
So Aldliton just about scraped through to the 400m freestyle this morning but it is going to be a up hill task to even get a bronze. She swam a great race but the compluation is high for the final tonight.

My hightlights of the opening two days include watching Spain take on The Republic of Korea in Handball. First time I have watched this sport and I really got a lot out of it. It has all the best aspects of Basketball and subtracts the worse aspects. Loved the pace, movement and back and fourth action, there was plenty of skill and strength on show too. The use of muscial numbers like under preasure when a team had a pen and then something like Bounkers when they scored was a nice touch. Korea were easily the better side, with a solid rear guard, more carefully constructed moves and silkier skills and precise finishing. Spain looked good on the counter and had a very good attempted lorb from the one end to the other which just came off the past, but overall they were not in the game enough. It ended Spain 27 Republic of Korea 31. My star players were Ryu E (who scored eight goals), Kim O and Gonzalze from Spain.

My other favourite event from yesterday was GB VS. Russia in the mixed Doubles Badminton. It was like a free for all of speed, power and emotion, and it is more easy to follow than Tennis so that was a plus for me. I liked the intimate setting too. You had the get up and go nature of the Brits against the colder more focused russian duo who paced themselves into the match nicely. It was a close match but in the end it was a classic british colapse as they went down two sets to one 21-14 9-21 18-21.

Also enjoyed the Swimming yesterday and some rowing which is quite a relaxing sport to watch. Tonight with be watching Rebecca in the 400 Freestyle final and might watch GB in the women's Hockey event before that.

On a side note did anyone see Khan as a guest on the BBC last night his comments were truly naff! lol.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A great night for the French in the Swimming!

Rebecca Adlington did very well to get a bronze medal not least because she was back in fifth at one stage, she has better chance of Gold in the 200 later in the week, but that was a great race.

Easy four nil win for Team GB over Japan in the women's Hockey, the result was never in doubt.

Looking forward to seeing Tom Daley in the diving tomorrow.

Lineker is owning that bitch Kain!

AF.

Reaction score
That was frustrating to watch, we started well and then left it all too late. Mills was great but Australia was terrible outside the arc for so long. Would have been good if Bogut wasn't injured, could have used him tonight. Now we will probably have to beat Russia to ensure we don't finish fourth and get the US.

The timezones are a bit annoying, the heats are on at a perfect time, early evening here, but the finals are on in the early hours of the morning. Too early to get up to watch which is a pity because I want to see the mens 4 x 100m final tomorrow morning, James Magnussen swam a brilliant final leg in the heats to get us the best lane and hopefully the guys can match the girls.

Patrick Mills carried Australia greatly. Proved why he's in the NBA. Andersen went off in the 4th but he needed to do that all game. Australia were terrible in the 3rd also. Wish they played the way they did in the 4th in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Bogut would have made a great difference as Varejao, Nene and Splitter were getting boards rather easily due to their mass size.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Am currently watching BBC3 and their children's TV style covenge of the Olympics only they could present Glastobury and sport in the same fashion!

Have seen a bit of badminton, archey and beach volleyball so far today. Am now watching Germany hand Britain's arse to them in table tennis which isn't really my bag.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Am enjoying this Weightlifting event who knew that this stuff could be so exciting!

Zoe Smith has a bright future that girl is in the zone.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I got so involved in mens volleyball and gymnastics yesterday it made me question my sexuality and my life.

Badminton was great too though.